The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Rich and others discussing Driving Licences  (Read 3445 times)

Offline ashbyclarke

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Rich and others discussing Driving Licences
« on: March 12, 2013, 01:51:58 PM »
Yeah it is a failed state, you can buy anything there, more so than in other EE states... only reason I'd go to Ukraine would be to buy a drivers licence so I can transfer it to a Spanish licence but I have one already so it doesn't matter :chuckle:

Rich, I assume you mean international license? I think you'll find you can't have 2 EE driving licenses.

Unless you know something I don't?
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline RichyRich

• Trips: Semi-Resident
Re: Rich and others discussing Driving Licences
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 01:56:17 PM »
Rich, I assume you mean international license? I think you'll find you can't have 2 EE driving licenses.

International licence? you mean that useless piece of paper? no I am talking about an actual licence, you can buy your licence literally and then go back to the EU (Spain as I think it is the only country that accepts Ukrainian licence for transfer) and transfer it for a fully fledged licence that you can use in the EU without issue. Who said anything about 2 licences? :D

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 02:01:13 PM »

International licence? you mean that useless piece of paper? no I am talking about an actual licence, you can buy your licence literally and then go back to the EU (Spain as I think it is the only country that accepts Ukrainian licence for transfer) and transfer it for a fully fledged licence that you can use in the EU without issue. Who said anything about 2 licences? :D

Many years ago, you used to be able to do something similar with an Isle of Man licence, doubt its possible now though.
Слава Україні

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 02:01:35 PM »

Assuming you have a uk license!

You would also need a Spanish address for issue, plus some other evidence to prove residency?
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline RichyRich

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 02:05:22 PM »

You would also need a Spanish address for issue, plus some other evidence to prove residency?
Shall we just apply logic to this, why would you bother with the hassle if you have a UK licence? what is the point?

EU freedom of movement, go on holiday for the length of time it takes to transfer then leave... obviously if you are from Ukraine you will need to fulfil all of that but if you are EU, taking a long holiday in a private villa should be enough time to sort it... not that I have looked into this or anything :-X

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 02:06:57 PM »

Many years ago, you used to be able to do something similar with an Isle of Man licence, doubt its possible now though.

You could do the same in the Channel Islands, but you had to hand in your UK driving license, some used to keep both by handing in a copy..... Could come in handy apparently.

Always interested to know, I'm generally in court twice a year on various driving convictions, I'm what you'd call a bit of an expert on these type of things.... recently I've been with 5 speeding tickets obtained in one week....

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »

Shall we just apply logic to this, why would you bother with the hassle if you have a UK licence? what is the point?

EU freedom of movement, go on holiday for the length of time it takes to transfer then leave... obviously if you are from Ukraine you will need to fulfil all of that but if you are EU, taking a long holiday in a private villa should be enough time to sort it... not that I have looked into this or anything :-X

Have you actually done it though Rich? I think you'll find it's not as easy as you state.

I can think of many reasons why it might have a point.... depends on what you do and how you're doing it ;D

Offline Chris

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 02:10:26 PM »

You could do the same in the Channel Islands, but you had to hand in your UK driving license, some used to keep both by handing in a copy..... Could come in handy apparently.

Always interested to know, I'm generally in court twice a year on various driving convictions, I'm what you'd call a bit of an expert on these type of things.... recently I've been with 5 speeding tickets obtained in one week....

So you get tickets to the coppers Christmas Ball then, being a regular customer an all!   :chuckle:
Слава Україні

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »

So you get tickets to the coppers Christmas Ball then, being a regular customer an all!   :chuckle:

It's not the coppers Chris, more like the Judge's ;D

Be amazed at what goes on in these court rooms you know :)

Offline Chris

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 02:14:33 PM »
Split off from this topic
Слава Україні

Offline RichyRich

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 02:14:55 PM »
Have you actually done it though Rich? I think you'll find it's not as easy as you state.

I can think of many reasons why it might have a point.... depends on what you do and how you're doing it ;D
No, I did mine via Romania before they started to act like they give a toss (2yrs+ ago now). I was forced to switch to a UK licence when I got done to speeding and they wanted to apply points :( shame I wasn't caught on the motorway like some bloke near where I live, he got let off with a fine as he got caught doing the same speed on about 4 cameras on the same stretch, he claimed as he was doing the same speed for each it should be one offence... the judge agreed :chuckle:

I will most likely try it out if I get my UK licence taken away from me :D

Offline RichyRich

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 02:15:22 PM »
The driving licence discussion has been moved here
Could you move my above post then and delete this one obviously.

Offline Chris

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 02:15:57 PM »

Not being a regular user of their services I am sure I would  :chuckle:
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 02:18:55 PM »
The driving licence discussion has been moved here
Could you move my above post then and delete this one obviously.

Not really as it is pertinent to Ukraine as being discussed in that thread and besides its quoted here in the first post anyway.
Слава Україні

Offline RichyRich

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 02:20:35 PM »
Not really as it is pertinent to Ukraine as being discussed in that thread and besides its quoted here in the first post anyway.
I didn't mean that one, I meant the other one which you may as well delete now as I am reposting it here.

No, I did mine via Romania before they started to act like they give a toss (2yrs+ ago now). I was forced to switch to a UK licence when I got done to speeding and they wanted to apply points :( shame I wasn't caught on the motorway like some bloke near where I live, he got let off with a fine as he got caught doing the same speed on about 4 cameras on the same stretch, he claimed as he was doing the same speed for each it should be one offence... the judge agreed :chuckle:

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 02:24:41 PM »
I didn't mean that one, I meant the other one which you may as well delete now as I am reposting it here.

Don't try that Rich.... could end yourself in prison, word of advice there.

You need to have your house in order before you start trying that sort of thing, having a UK license would just end you in no end of trouble, trust me.

Good deed for the day ;D

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 02:27:06 PM »

Well being a frequent visitor Chris I can tell you it's not all it's cracked up to be, the cliental isn't what you'd want to be around, and it's a day out, full day at that normally.

That said, when you walk away winning kinda makes it worth while..... I tend to make quite an exit out of the car park just for good measure ;D

Offline RichyRich

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 02:27:45 PM »

You need to have your house in order before you start trying that sort of thing, having a UK license would just end you in no end of trouble, trust me.

Good deed for the day ;D
Obviously I won't do it the day I get my licence revoked :chuckle:

I already have a UK licence which was originally Romanian, no issue there. Anyway like I said, you cannot transfer unless you go to Spain as it appears to be the only country that accept licence transfers from Ukraine :(

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 02:27:51 PM »
Yeah it is a failed state, you can buy anything there, more so than in other EE states... only reason I'd go to Ukraine would be to buy a drivers licence so I can transfer it to a Spanish licence but I have one already so it doesn't matter :chuckle:

Sorry to inform you but you will not be able to convert a Ukraine license to a Spanish or English one. At best you might be able to drive half a year. In the end you will need to take a test that sows you know the countries laws.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline RichyRich

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 02:29:21 PM »
Sorry to inform you but you will not be able to convert a Ukraine license to a Spanish or English one. At best you might be able to drive half a year. In the end you will need to take a test that sows you know the countries laws.
Pretty sure you can, I read it on the Spanish government site from which countries they accept transfers from unless that changed in the last two months?

Offline Chris

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 02:30:02 PM »

Well being a frequent visitor Chris I can tell you it's not all it's cracked up to be, the cliental isn't what you'd want to be around, and it's a day out, full day at that normally.

That said, when you walk away winning kinda makes it worth while..... I tend to make quite an exit out of the car park just for good measure ;D

Not my kind of day out Ash, usually I try and charge for that type of day out, or at least try and make sure it has something of a historical or architectural bent on it so it makes it somewhat interesting :)
Слава Україні

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »

Good deed for the day ;D
Obviously I won't do it the day I get my licence revoked :chuckle:

I already have a UK licence which was originally Romanian, no issue there. Anyway like I said, you cannot transfer unless you go to Spain as it appears to be the only country that accept licence transfers from Ukraine :(

Rich, trust me save your research, once you're banned in the UK you are banned.

No way around it, and being English as I assume you are, you will just end up in prison.

Nice idea, but will not work.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 02:33:42 PM »
Pretty sure you can, I read it on the Spanish government site from which countries they accept transfers from unless that changed in the last two months?

Well if the woman I know from L'viv is any indication than you are in for a surprise. Why not just get an English license than trying to jive the system.

Ashby's post changes the picture - there is an attempt to create a Euro wide registry of banned drivers. It is underfunded and some countries England included are not working to help share the data.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »

Not my kind of day out Ash, usually I try and charge for that type of day out, or at least try and make sure it has something of a historical or architectural bent on it so it makes it somewhat interesting :)

Don't know Chris, some of the court houses are quite special from an architectural point of view :)

I was once in court for driving a Van complete with trailer for 13 miles chased by police doing 90 mph, overtaking on double white lines...... quite a good feeling walking away with a clean license..... I didn't need paying for that ;D

And yes it wasn't a standard Van before those who wonder, and the trailer was double axle, it was limited to 90 though.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 02:41:44 PM »

Well if the woman I know from L'viv is any indication than you are in for a surprise. Why not just get an English license than trying to jive the system.

Ashby's post changes the picture - there is an attempt to create a Euro wide registry of banned drivers. It is underfunded and some countries England included are not working to help share the data.

AV - the idea, although good, just wouldn't work in the EU.

Even if you had the time to obtain a Ukraine license, abode in Ukraine and time to wait for a license, not to mention time to spend in spain....

Always interesting to know other idea's though :)

Registration