The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Putin: Russia’s Military Strength Has No Match In The World  (Read 43193 times)

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: Putin: Russia’s Military Strength Has No Match In The World
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 11:07:34 PM »
Southern, I'll go out on the limb and say that this Stirrup fellow in the article (or the journalist themself) is simply fear-mongering. While I have no doubt that Russia is increasingly "poking" the West's airspace, quite frankly it's really not much to worry about. This game of cat & mouse has played out for decades; well into the Cold War.

As far as a mid-air with a civilian airliner? Not impossible but highly unlikely.

Offline SOUTHERN X

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 12:05:09 AM »
GUPPY CAPTAIN
yes its been going on for yonks , however it was interesting  to see such views expressed coming out of mannys home base ,from his country ex military officers

such type of article  he usually refers to as war mongering being typically driven out of the US
been a few voices of concern out of the uk recently about their military spending or lack thereoff etc

this english guy in the story is probably lying though ,  ;D

lord stirrup  has a reasonable track record in this area

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jock_Stirrup,_Baron_Stirrup

SX

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 11:08:32 PM »
Even though you are incredibly anti allies and ungrateful you are never the less welcome.

cufflinks ,
until the real totality of the evil out there in the world hits home to manny he will take the neville chamberlin road of action

its not on his doorstep , so he can still look at it through his rose coloured glasses while watching RT in the sunroom
SX

There are a lot of young OZ blokes fighting along with us as solid allies - thank them and buy them a beer for me too when you see them.

Cuffy you'll appreciate this man,
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/12/02/former-canadian-soldier-says-first-battle-against-isis-was-greatest-day-of-his-life/

Given the choice he would still be in the battle, killing those ISIS fighters.

Fortunately he is back in North America where he can help spear head defense against native ISIS/ISIL/IS sympaticos and demented deviant degenerate despicable PC  Social Justice Warriors demanding that Canada a member of the UK Commonwealth take in islamo radicals as a breeding ground of future ISIS recruits with passport access to North America (Same as USA SJWs).

Need to build up NRA membership in Canada and USA as well and vote in real pro self defense laws and lawmakers.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 08:26:17 AM »

Need to build up NRA membership in Canada

:o

Fuk no! We don't need those whackos up here promoting a gun culture. It's as stupid as Ted Nugent grabbing a mic and telling Ontario Canucks to drop the spring bear hunt. My advice to Teddy is go back to Michigan and lobby you own fuking politicians, you're a guest in my country and don't fukin forget it. Fuk

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 11:30:29 AM »
That isn't what he said. Read the source and you wouldn't make these gaffes. As usual, we see media distortion, and a quote taken out of context before it is twisted.

What he actually said, during a speech to veterans for Defender of the Fatherland Day was:

Comrades, we all know well what great responsibility our armed forces and all of our security and law enforcement services bear today. They are responsible for our country’s peace, security and stable development.

No one should harbour any illusions about it being possible to achieve military supremacy over Russia or to use pressure against us in any way or form. Russia will always have an adequate response to any such reckless actions.

«We all know well what great responsibility our armed forces and all of our security and law enforcement services bear today. They are responsible for our country’s peace, security and stable development.»

Our soldiers and officers have shown that they are ready to act decisively, with coordinated precision, professionalism and courage to carry out even the most difficult and novel missions, as befits a well-trained and experienced modern army that preserves its traditions and military spirit and is constantly improving and setting the highest modern standards as its benchmark.

We have done much over these last years to make our military command system more efficient and build up groups of troops in the areas of greatest strategic importance. We are successfully carrying out an ambitious programme to modernise the army and navy, including active modernisation of our air and space defences and nuclear forces. This is the guarantee of global parity.

We will continue to do everything needed to ensure that the armed forces continue to build up their capability. I want to stress that we will carry out our military development plans no matter what the circumstances, and there should be no doubt about this.

Read it all in context for yourself from the horses mouth: http://eng.kremlin.ru/news/23632

Reads normal to me (especially considering past Russian military history) but what was he referring to with this?

"Our soldiers and officers have shown that they are ready to act decisively, with coordinated precision, professionalism and courage to carry out even the most difficult and novel missions, as befits a well-trained and experienced modern army that preserves its traditions and military spirit and is constantly improving and setting the highest modern standards as its benchmark."

Afghanistan, Chechnya(x2), Georgia or Ukraine?  Or is he referring to the several drills performed over the past year or so?  I am only wondering because I am not sure what exactly they have "shown".  Just looking for clarification.

Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 11:50:58 AM »
but the thought that it was superior to the US military gave me a chuckle.

I suppose it might depend on how you define superiority. Despite a large military, you lot seem to not do awfully well with the many wars that you start; usually against blokes riding camels. Have you ever taken on a military comparable to Russia? I don't recall you have. It wouldn't be like dropping bombs on Muslims in the desert with a few drones. That I think is the message that was meant to go out there. That and the fact they heard your war drums already and wont roll over.

Since 1945, has anyone?  Manny, with all due respect, the US only brings what it needs to the party.  If it's camels (as you so fondly reference) then we bring what is necessary to take out a camel.  If it is a nation as big as Russia, we would bring what is necessary to engage the force they have (which is what we have prepared for and developed the technology for for decades).  All the technology we have was developed in order to stay well ahead of Russia and has been tested in some small form in the past 20 years or so. 

We have been ready for Russia for years and if it ever came down to it (and I certainly hope to God it wouldn't), we are more than prepared and more than capable of handling any threat they could muster.  They rattle the nuclear saber because they know they can't defeat us in a conventional manner and if that were to ever happen, no one would be defeated..the world would cease to exist as we know it.  I doubt, and pray, they are not stupid enough to do something like that.

Hopefully we can all be friends again soon.
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline Tom Cat

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 03:21:46 PM »
http://rt.com/news/244317-usa-poland-thunderbolt-drills/

NATO continues to push Putin's button to :coffeeread:
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2015, 12:01:45 AM »

In most respects the interests of NATO and the US can be considered as being synonymous given that over 75% of NATO funding is from the US. In addition NATO's  leadership is seeking a justification for its existence following the end of its purpose with the dissolution of the Soviet Union. The current silliness is the justification of a whole heap of careers for generals who have only ever commanded a desk and blotter. They will not give up this opportunity to give meaning to their entire career.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2015, 05:41:06 AM »
Quote from: Moby
IS came about because of a power vacuum - helped along by Russia and China ensuring Assad could remain in power and oppress calls for democracy.

IS came about because the US funded and trained them to do some dirty work. Really Moby, do some reading: http://www.dcclothesline.com/2014/08/22/realize-u-s-funded-trained-isis-right/

Now I can respond and you can be sure I read far more selectively than you  - hence arrive at more sensible/ pragmatic conclusions
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2015, 05:54:54 AM »
The current silliness is the justification of a whole heap of careers for generals who have only ever commanded a desk and blotter. They will not give up this opportunity to give meaning to their entire career.

Somewhere else on this forum today you criticise a member for 'comprehension issues'  - again-  and yet here you are  - conveniently forgetting - which nation has been physically and militarily involved in undermining neighbouring states and had to use vetoes to block overwhelming resolutions for them to desist. 

Remind us how many US Tanks were present in Europe just over a year and a half ago...

As someone who would have been very happy to see NATO expenditure cut back - prior to the Kremlin redrawing frontiers - I have to wonder if your grey matter is suffering some sort of selective short circuit re appraising the situation...

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2015, 10:16:34 AM »

In most respects the interests of NATO and the US can be considered as being synonymous given that over 75% of NATO funding is from the US. In addition NATO's  leadership is seeking a justification for its existence following the end of its purpose with the dissolution of the Soviet Union. The current silliness is the justification of a whole heap of careers for generals who have only ever commanded a desk and blotter. They will not give up this opportunity to give meaning to their entire career.

Seriously - WTF why we are paying over 75% of the costs of defending you EURO SLACKERS?????

And you lot have 500 Million first world wealth engines and can not support and protect yourselves - No wonder Chairman Putin of Russia OAO snears at your Chamberlainesque sanctions.

No wonder we have to pay small business (LLC etc) taxes at an effective Obamanation rate of 90% and growing - Gawd how I love the Nomad Capitalist.

Everything I do now is dedicated to overcoming you EURO slackers as well as our own home grown Obamzimbawe welfare slackers

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2015, 12:22:17 PM »
http://freebeacon.com/national-security/russian-fighter-jet-nearly-collides-with-u-s-spy-jet-over-europe/

This happened over International airspace, but had the U.S. not been peeking over the fence, then this incident wouldn't have happened.

Sooner or later, there will be an escalated incident that could involve retaliatory action.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2015, 02:12:33 PM »
http://freebeacon.com/national-security/russian-fighter-jet-nearly-collides-with-u-s-spy-jet-over-europe/

This happened over International airspace, but had the U.S. not been peeking over the fence, then this incident wouldn't have happened.

Sooner or later, there will be an escalated incident that could involve retaliatory action.

Those flights and flights like them have occurred in various forms for more than 30 years by both sides. More recently, say the last decade plus; they were covered as 'acceptable' by the open skies and other treaties signed by both the RF, US, and others..

Oh and in case they left this part out in your spoon fed 2 minute sound byte this am...The Russian are doing the same damn thing and more worldwide...

Now we'll let you get back to your regularly scheduled ignorance infused cool aid break...

Offline Tom Cat

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2015, 11:12:57 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3067609/Putin-unveils-new-Russian-tank-1993-powerful-gun-huge-arsenal-sophisticated-military-hardware.html

Here's a look at one of Putin's new tanks

Very nice. Manned by soldiers that have to beg for money off foreigners last the last time I was in Moscow....
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Manny

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2015, 11:23:41 AM »
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2015, 11:24:51 AM »
2005 lol! Bet nowts changed, I'll find out next month...

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2015, 11:54:32 AM »
If the tank works as promised the Russians might try building an aircraft carrier. Not just any aircraft carrier but the largest aircraft carrier in the world, dwarfing anything the US has. The new super carrier would be able to carry 100 planes, have cutting-edge electronics and missile systems and a sleek hull that drag — the resistance created when a ship moves through the water —  has been reduced by as much as 20 percent.

The irony is that Russia has no history of building aircraft carriers. The carriers the Soviet Union built were all built in Ukraine according to Dmitry Gorenburg, an expert in the Russian navy at the Virginia-based CNA Corporation. Even if this project gets the green light, for various reasons it is decades away from completion according to the article. With such a time frame to completion it's unlikely Putin will still be in power if this super carrier ever goes to sea.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/russia-wants-an-aircraft-supercarrier-but-can-it-build-one/517990.html
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2015, 12:59:28 PM »
If the tank works as promised the Russians might try building an aircraft carrier. Not just any aircraft carrier but the largest aircraft carrier in the world, dwarfing anything the US has. The new super carrier would be able to carry 100 planes, have cutting-edge electronics and missile systems and a sleek hull that drag — the resistance created when a ship moves through the water —  has been reduced by as much as 20 percent.

The irony is that Russia has no history of building aircraft carriers. The carriers the Soviet Union built were all built in Ukraine according to Dmitry Gorenburg, an expert in the Russian navy at the Virginia-based CNA Corporation. Even if this project gets the green light, for various reasons it is decades away from completion according to the article. With such a time frame to completion it's unlikely Putin will still be in power if this super carrier ever goes to sea.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/russia-wants-an-aircraft-supercarrier-but-can-it-build-one/517990.html

Being a former Nuclear High Speed Hunter Killer Fast Attack Submariner (No Kidding) we have a term for Giant Aircraft Carriers = "TARGETS" - damn things can be tracked by low res weather Sats anywhere in the world - new Magnetic Anomaly detection satellites are so sensitive they can track them any any other steel hulled ship above or below water at all times anywhere on the planet.  Sometimes the Rooskie Bigger and biggest of all mentality is not necessarily better.  :smokin:

Offline yankee

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
  Sometimes the Rooskie Bigger and biggest of all mentality is not necessarily better.  :smokin:

You mean that it is good for the USN but not anyone else?
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2015, 04:17:32 PM »

Being a former Nuclear High Speed Hunter Killer Fast Attack Submariner (No Kidding) we have a term for Giant Aircraft Carriers = "TARGETS" - damn things can be tracked by low res weather Sats anywhere in the world - new Magnetic Anomaly detection satellites are so sensitive they can track them any any other steel hulled ship above or below water at all times anywhere on the planet.  Sometimes the Rooskie Bigger and biggest of all mentality is not necessarily better.  :smokin:

That's what I have thought as well. Today they can spot it from space and launch a missle from half way around the planet to take it out. Or am I totally off on this one?

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2015, 04:45:28 PM »

That's what I have thought as well. Today they can spot it from space and launch a missle from half way around the planet to take it out. Or am I totally off on this one?

As Cuffy should know well the Americans surround their aircraft carriers with a flotilla of naval combat vessels when an aircraft carrier is at sea. If the Russians are going to copy the US model not only would the Russians need to build a super carrier but they would also need to build the other combat vessels that make up the a carrier's escort fleet.

Even more costs for the Russian government in a time of an economic downturn. In other words it's not too likely that Putin is going to be building a super carrier anytime soon. Maybe a couple of nuclear powered coast guard ice breakers to keep their northern sea routes open and some much smaller naval combat vessels built in partnership with India and China. Both of whom are having teething problems building their own military forces. 
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2015, 10:42:06 PM »
One nuclear tipped subrock gets through and its bye bye task force and everything else in a 60 mile radius - one of the reasons we stopped using them - suicide weapons.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2015, 11:00:03 PM »

USA, Russia and China have agreed not to weaponize space - now that our brilliant Obama sanctions have given Russia license to call off all treaties its pretty much anything goes ...  yes the Crazy Ivans are capable of detecting and eliminating threats with their mega subrocks ... remember water does not compress like air so a nuclear subrock that descends to 100 feet or so then explodes sends off a compressive omni-directional shock wave in the water that acts like a direct hit even many miles away.  Literally crushes hulls.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2015, 01:38:00 PM »