The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Putin: Russia’s Military Strength Has No Match In The World  (Read 43304 times)

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Putin: Russia’s Military Strength Has No Match In The World
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2015, 08:05:28 PM »
https://www.stratfor.com/analysis/hidden-challenges-modernizing-russias-military

Russia might have made it difficult to modernize their military, as some of the key components were manufactured in Ukraine.

Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2015, 07:12:31 AM »
Russia's state of the art tank they say is so much more advanced than any American tank stopped during the final Victory Day rehearsal. After an attempt to tow it failed, the T-14 rolled away under its own steam about 15 minutes later. Hope Putin wasn't in attendance.  :laugh:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/05/07/russia-state-art-tank-stops-during-parade-rehearsal/

May 7, 2015: Russian army officers discuss a situation with a crew member of the new Russian T-14 Armata tank at the Red Square. (AP)
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline miquel westano

• Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2015, 09:47:34 AM »
but the thought that it was superior to the US military gave me a chuckle.

I suppose it might depend on how you define superiority. Despite a large military, you lot seem to not do awfully well with the many wars that you start; usually against blokes riding camels. Have you ever taken on a military comparable to Russia? I don't recall you have. It wouldn't be like dropping bombs on Muslims in the desert with a few drones. That I think is the message that was meant to go out there. That and the fact they heard your war drums already and wont roll over.
I'm glad you bring that up, Manny. Actually I do know the differences brewery the two conventional forces. Russia is still playing catch up and is about 15 years away from being able to match America's current capability.

Their Navy is in shambles (only one half way working aircraft carrier) and their Air Force isn't much better.

There were never any real war drums from the US. Russia knows it cannot hope to match the US in a conventional engagement, thus all the nuclear saber rattling for the last 6-12 months.

So be proud of Putin and the Russian military's success against an army that was virtually non-existent before this conflict started. But I'll advise you not to get delusions of adequacy against the United States military.

Take a queue from Putin, as you typically do, and understand Russia's distant second position as the world's most powerful combat nation.

I know this is an old post, and I don't really have modern insight into the powers of either army.  But I do know this.  In WWII, the Russians would attack entrenched forces protected by mine fields as though the mines were not there and the entrenched guns were of no importance.  I realize today's Russians may not be 1940's Russians, but they are for sure not 2010's Americans who have gotten used to such an easy life.

Our troops are great men, but they are limited by voters and politicians back home who refuse to accept casualties as an inevitable part of war.  I don't think Putin would be facing the media and voter battle our leaders here do, and would also have a nation steeped in pride resulting from a heritage of unmatched ferocity during WWII. 

Most Americans wrongly assume we somehow brought the Nazis down ourselves or possibly slightly assisted by England.  They need to study history and see exactly how significant the Russian participation was in the European Theater.  In school in the 60's I was taught the Germans were just stupid and gave away the war in Russia through inept strategy and poor planning.  Not the case at all.  They just met more committed troops willing to pay a much higher price.

Now I don't know all the specifics concerning who's hardware works better, who has more bombs or missiles or sheer numbers of troops.  But I do have a pretty good idea who would tire of the price of war first.

Just so everyone knows.  I am a proud US military veteran from the 70's, love my country, and am in total support of our troops.  But I am also  believer in history and a realist.  Lobbing some drones and missiles at insurgents is not the same as going to war with a superpower.  Commitment to winning is every bit as important as equipment, and probably more so.  I believe Russia would have a significant advantage on the USA in an all out war.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2015, 10:10:48 AM »
Slightly assisted? Just remember WW2 started in 1939 not 1941 and the Nazi's first bloody nose was The Battle of Britain in 1940.....

There are possibly hundreds of 'turning points' in WW2 in my opinion I'd say the cracking of the Enigma codes was possibly the greatest victory, (Turing/Polish version not U-571 version).

All IMHO!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2015, 10:28:02 AM »
Slightly assisted? Just remember WW2 started in 1939 not 1941 and the Nazi's first bloody nose was The Battle of Britain in 1940.....

There are possibly hundreds of 'turning points' in WW2 in my opinion I'd say the cracking of the Enigma codes was possibly the greatest victory, (Turing/Polish version not U-571 version).

All IMHO!

Hi Ste, let's give credit to those in the east who were used like cannon fodder by Stalin for stopping Hitler from getting to the oilfields of Azerbaijan.

While we're at it, we need to thank the Serbs for distracting Hitler in the Balkans as this bloody nose also delayed Operation Barbarossa and meant Hilter's blitzkrieg strategy literally bogged down  west of Moscow - giving the Soviets time to regroup and reorganise production east of the Urals...  and make lots of tanks in your other half's city...

YUP ..knowing the Nazi's plans sure helped
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2015, 02:44:19 PM »
Most Americans wrongly assume we somehow brought the Nazis down ourselves or possibly slightly assisted by England.  They need to study history and see exactly how significant the Russian participation was in the European Theater.  In school in the 60's I was taught the Germans were just stupid and gave away the war in Russia through inept strategy and poor planning.  Not the case at all.  They just met more committed troops willing to pay a much higher price.

All IMHO!

It has astounded me how little most students learn here, even at university level. In my first year in law school I often hung out with two of my classmates. We had all studied history fairly extensively in undergrad. During one of our conversations one of them asserted that the French suffered more casualties than any other Western country in the two world wars. The other two of us looked at each other in shock because we knew that this was just not true, in fact not even close to being true.

We walked down the street to the main university library that afternoon (this was during pre-internet days). The casualty figures were easily found. As I recall, France wasn't even in the top four, because it surrendered so early in the second world war. The question was total casualties in both world wars combined.  It was quite some time ago but my memory was that the countries ranked something like this:

Russia (or, USSR in the second world war)
Germany
Britain
Austria (the total for which I assume included casualties of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in the first world war)
then possibly France, although I think there might have been one other country ahead of France.

The total for Russian casualties was far more than that for French casualties. And this girl had been a history major at Vanderbilt University, a good university.

Regarding the next points, I suppose the major turning point in the war in Europe was either Stalingrad or Kursk. I've seen good arguments made for each of these.  But Kursk was such a devastating defeat for Nazi Germany that it was never again able to launch a major offensive against the Soviets.

Some might argue that the turning point was even earlier, in the December 1941 counterattack after the Nazi advance had stalled out just miles from Moscow.

Britain's cracking of the Enigma code was the greatest signals intelligence coup of the war in Europe.

The USSR had the best human intelligence of the war. The Red Orchestra and the Lucy Ring produced a great deal of good intelligence.  And the Sorge ring in Tokyo was probably the most important espionage effort in history. Sorge himself had thoroughly penetrated the Germany embassy. One of his men was placed in the highest levels of Japan's government, as a top aide to Prince Konoye if I remember correctly.

Sorge reported to Moscow that the Nazis were going to invade the USSR, and approximately when. Stalin didn't believe him. Six months later he reported to Moscow that the Japanese were going to attack South, into British and US colonies, rather than farther North, into Soviet territory.  This time Stalin believed Sorge.  He had kept substantial troops in the Far East in order to protect against a Japanese attack. Indeed there had already been one or two Japanese incursions into Soviet territory.

As a result of Sorge's intelligence Stalin ordered a great many troops, tanks, and planes from the Far East to Moscow and they were instrumental in the Soviet counterattack.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2015, 04:40:03 PM »
Putin spends £5m on making sure it doesn't rain on his V-Day Parade: Jets to spike clouds with chemical cocktail (but it means villages 40 miles away will get deluged)

Putin really is trying to be God. :chuckle:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3071598/Putin-spends-5m-cloud-dispersing-chemicals-sprayed-jets-ensure-good-weather-V-Day-Parade.html
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Manny

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2015, 04:51:36 PM »
Putin spends £5m on making sure it doesn't rain on his V-Day Parade: Jets to spike clouds with chemical cocktail (but it means villages 40 miles away will get deluged)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3071598/Putin-spends-5m-cloud-dispersing-chemicals-sprayed-jets-ensure-good-weather-V-Day-Parade.html

Cloud seeding is not new in Russia.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2015, 05:00:57 PM »

Cloud seeding is not new in Russia.

Couple times there was stuff falling from the sky while I was in Moscow, I figured they were at that time seeding the clouds trying to make it rain. That was late July and August of 2010

Didn't seem to do anything the fires kept burning for a few weeks.
I think it's a hit or miss.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2015, 07:31:05 PM »
 :offtopic:
Here's a video showing the United states air force new future fighter jets.and other weapons
I think Russia would have their hands full with these planes taking out their defences.

On the ground Russia may have an advantage. But in the air and by sea, Russia is not in the same league..

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2015, 09:15:19 PM »
 Measuring Russia vs the US is so counterproductive for human civilization when you consider all the problems that could be solved by Russia-US cooperation.  There's too much war already.

Offline yankee

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2015, 05:53:52 AM »
Measuring Russia vs the US is so counterproductive for human civilization when you consider all the problems that could be solved by Russia-US cooperation.  There's too much war already.

+1
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2015, 10:34:37 AM »
Here's a video showing the United states air force new future fighter jets.and other weapons
I think Russia would have their hands full with these planes taking out their defences.

On the ground Russia may have an advantage. But in the air and by sea, Russia is not in the same league..

On the sea , all Russia has to do is fly 1 jet over a boat with Aegis and its dead in the water. Just close with a sub and its like a duck-shoot.

http://www.voltairenet.org/article185860.html
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2015, 10:37:43 AM »

That is certainly true. The problem is that for the major global power disruption and non-cooperation is a viable and proven success strategy. That is not likely to change for the better because, well, the strategy works.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2015, 11:10:36 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/putin-just-dismissed-nearly-20-generals-2015-5

As Putin modernization of the military takes place, several of the top Generals have been dismissed.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2015, 02:07:17 PM »

On the sea , all Russia has to do is fly 1 jet over a boat with Aegis and its dead in the water. Just close with a sub and its like a duck-shoot.

I call complete BULL SHITE on this entire pro RT Voltairenet article - It would be one thing to Jam comms links at altitude - the premise being the further away from the jamming target the weaker their signals the easier to jam - I was cross trained in Electronic Counter Measures and am not disclosing anything but publicly available  info...  NEWS FLASH the way Jamming Works is you have to emit broadcast and send Signals on the same wavelengths that are much more powerful than the source - at high altitude you might be able to emit a jamming signal that creates noise - we used to measure these signals before we surfaced so we could tell what type, pattern and strength of electromagnetic energy (Radar Waves) was being pointed at or near us...  We knew every type EE known to mankind and what it meant I assure you.

To shut down an Ageis radar system the Plane would need to generate a much greater amount of Energy than the ship can - not very likely unless the Rooskies had spies at area 51 and have new alien technology in their last generation SU-24 jets... 

Unless the Rooskie Crazy Ivans were willing to NUKE themselves in mid air creating an EMP or electromagnetic pulse powerful enough to temporarily blind the ageis or sink it - otherwise unlikely any aircraft can otherwise generate enough power at buzz fly by altitudes.

"a Russian electronic warfare device called Khibiny."  1977 Technology - really??? 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khibiny_%28electronic_countermeasures_system%29

And jamming only works when you emit a very strong signal that effs with the radar receiver - we have missiles that passively lock on to those electromagnetic signal emissions and ooops - NO MORE JAMMERs

If the crew went into port it was to avoid crazy ivans that might pull an Red Chinese crash kamikaze style into their ships - enough vodka and the Ivans get Really Crazy with their supersonic toys almost as crazy as the Red Freaking Chinese. 

Going into liberty port in Romania was likely on the ships schedule - the propagandist that wrote this article was smoking some strong spice while chasing it with copious amounts of Vodka because no way the Russians perfected any PFM Jamming Systems.  PFM meaning PURE FOOKING MAGIC.  Yes that is a military term of art PFM.  It would be PFM to do what this fantasy article claims.  Our guys were likely under orders not to shoot down the Crazy Ivans which would have been an act of war... and sent them into real hysterics with nukes even.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2015, 02:45:45 PM »

So its coincidence that this warship was dead in the water around the same time that the plane past, and repeated 12x to make sure it wasn't coincidence. And you can call bullshit all you want, the US-Navy confirmed that the ship was in fact , shutdown successfully.

You are also counting only 1 type of attack, you can also try to hack into the ships computers and shut them down. With careless wifi this will not be difficult, especially with pre-arranged attacks on known wifi-passwords.

Perhaps the rooskies got some vital computers to reboot which caused the shutdown during the flyby.

All things considered, I believe the evidence

1) Confirmed shutdown during passing of plane (12x , confirmed by us-navy).

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2015, 03:05:11 PM »

So its coincidence that this warship was dead in the water around the same time that the plane past, and repeated 12x to make sure it wasn't coincidence. And you can call bullshit all you want, the US-Navy confirmed that the ship was in fact , shutdown successfully.

You are also counting only 1 type of attack, you can also try to hack into the ships computers and shut them down. With careless wifi this will not be difficult, especially with pre-arranged attacks on known wifi-passwords.

Perhaps the rooskies got some vital computers to reboot which caused the shutdown during the flyby.

All things considered, I believe the evidence

1) Confirmed shutdown during passing of plane (12x , confirmed by us-navy).

Mark.

Again total BULL SHITE if an Aegis Missile Cruiser was shutdown during flybys it was because the Crew shut it down so the Rooskie jet could not measure its electronic defensive capabilities up close - If you want to believe in PFM, little elves, Unicorns and Alien abductions by all means you are free to do so...

Truth is if the Aegis missile radars were turned on full power the Rooskie Pilot would have been microwaved - cooked and done during his low altitude buzzed bys - so the power was likely dialed way down to keep Rooskie Crazy Ivan from committing suicide by microwave immolation.  Worse case was US DoD disinformation to keep the Crazy Ivans guessing.....

The Russians have been flying recklessly all over Europe, The Pacific and the Atlantic not to mention the Black Sea - sabre rattling with last generation ancient technology and an old jet impressive NOT...

The generally accepted purpose of these fly-bys is to "test US and Allies reaction times"  sometimes best to keep them scratching their heads.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2015, 03:13:32 PM »
Again total BULL SHITE if an Aegis Missile Cruiser was shutdown during flybys it was because the Crew shut it down so the Rooskie jet could not measure its electronic defensive capabilities up close - If you want to believe in PFM, little elves, Unicorns and Alien abductions by all means you are free to do so...

So you're sending a boat to impress the rooskies, but then shut it down when its time to impress..

No, that makes sense.  :innocent:
OO===[][]===OO

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2015, 04:48:32 PM »

Markje, how would reporters for voltairenet know if the Russian electronic warfare device, Khibiny, on the Russian Su-24 fighter jet incapacitated the USS Donald Cook's Aegis Combat System? Because the Russian government said so? The article offers no proof the Khibiny did anything to the Aegis System.

If the Khibiny is like most of Russia's new military hardware it's simply a pile of scrap metal.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

Offline Manny

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2015, 05:01:05 PM »

Markje, how would reporters for voltairenet know if the Russian electronic warfare device, Khibiny, on the Russian Su-24 fighter jet incapacitated the USS Donald Cook's Aegis Combat System? Because the Russian government said so? The article offers no proof the Khibiny did anything to the Aegis System.

America never denied it.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2015, 06:15:32 PM »

America never denied it.

This is ancient military wisdom - even in the face of extreme provocation you never tip your hat and you never let your adversaries know what you are thinking or planning and you never divulge your true intentions - it is called psyops and disinformation for a reason.  I double dang damn guarantee you if the US Navy wanted too shoot down that flying SU antique all they had to do was break out a couple shoulder fired stingers - why give away the true combat capability of the Aegis if not absolutely necessary - 12 supersonic flybys by a lunatic Crazy Ivan without even friend or foe identification is justification for self defense by the crew - who in retrospect showed great restraint.

But go on believing in your cherished ANTI AMERICAN propaganda all you want - the Machiavelli & Sun Tsu move here would be to install advanced anti Aircraft Batteries and Anti ballistic batteries (Passive Heat Seeking and EE Lockon as well as active radar on missiles that rocket at about 16,000+ miles per hour and are nearly 100% effective)  Some of these systems can cover most of the Black Sea with over the horizon hunt and lock on capability and train our Romanian and Bulgarian EU Allies in their effective use - then add Poland, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia along with the Nordic countries to the mix.

And then give all said parties independent control so the Rooskies never know who will feel threatened enough to defend themselves, their Airspace and their territorial integrity - just like the Rooskies do.  Then the USA is not in direct acts of war with loose nuked Crazy Ivans - but has force multiplied to a point where the Rooskies Reckless Aggressive Aerobatic Adventures  violating everyone else's airspace in the EU could come to an ignominious end on random and completely unknown instances.  Best way to fight fire is with fire - best way to fight unpredictable Crazy Ivans is with MORE unpredictable Crazy Ivans.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2015, 08:19:10 PM »

America never denied it.

As Cuffy says why would the US say anything? If the US gives up any info that only strengthens the Russians' hand. Smarter to say nothing and let the Russians believe what they want.

Offline miquel westano

• Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2015, 11:59:33 AM »

All IMHO!

I think you missed my point.  I agree, the USA had massive support from all the allies.  I was saying the average American here is taught we were the almighty power that did it all.  When I was schooled in the early sixties, we were taught the American GI carried the world on their back.  Only later when I started to study history as recorded by veterans of both the US and allies, did I learn how important the other nations were.  Including the very brave country of England that withstood so many rocket and bombing attacks, but refused to cower. 

I was in no way disparaging your country's contributions, but was rather trying to say all of the allies were great contributors to what the American history writers quickly claimed as their own.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2015, 12:29:48 PM »

Markje

I'd be grateful if you can find where the US State dept. ''acknowledged that the crew of the destroyer USS Donald Cook has been gravely demoralized ever since their vessel was flown over in the Black Sea by a Russian Sukhoi-24 (Su-24) fighter jet which carried neither bombs nor missiles but only an electronic warfare device.'' as this article 'claims'.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic