The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Plans to meet a woman in Stavropol, Russia.  (Read 21885 times)

Offline sharonhaber00

• If you call it "Avatar", let it be Avatar...
  • Spouses Country: Israel
  • Trips: 1-5
Plans to meet a woman in Stavropol, Russia.
« on: June 01, 2014, 06:12:23 PM »
So I finally made a decision to meet with woman I've been in contact for several months. The communication is mainly by Face Book and recently we've started to talk in the phone. I am welcomed to visit her for quite a long time.

The visit is planed to the end of July - first of August for one week or eight days.
I supposed to stay in some hotel while there (need recommendations on that).
The details I need is about the domestic flight from Moscow to the nearest airport to Stavropol, and transportation from there to the hotel in the city, and should I book hotel for the first night through the travel agency in which I book the flight(?)

Is the airport in which the domestic flight departs from the same as this in which the international flight from Tel Aviv arrives? (It is called: DME)

I still don't know in which airport near Stavropol will be the domestic flight from Moscow. I book the connection, through the travel agency in which I book the flight from Tel Aviv. Though I didn't see Stavropol between the destinations in Russia in their site.

I've never been in Russia, so don't have experience.

Travelers who have experience in Russia, what are your recommendations?

Any advice is appreciated.

P.S. we discussed the possibility to travel to the Caucasus. I asked her about the time it takes to go there to some mountain from her city. It takes seven hours by bus :sick0012:. Long rides are not for me. So I gave up the idea.   
Nadie no sabe lo que tiene hasta el día que lo pierde.

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Plans to meet a woman in Stavropol, Russia.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 07:42:44 PM »
DME is Domodedovo, one of three international airports in Moscow and is the busiest. DME handles most Star Alliance members like United, Austrian and Lufthansa and international carriers include Algean, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, EasyJet, Singapore, El Al, Swiss International, Egypt Air, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Austrian Airlines, Emirates, Brussels Airlines, Thai Airways, Singapore Airlines, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian, Ukraine International Air, Air Baltic, Arkia Israel, Royal Jordanian, and Vietnam Airlines.

Domestic carriers at DME include Ak Bars, Globus Airlines, Moskovia Airlines, RusLine, S7 Airlines, Transaero, Ural Airlines, VIM Air, and Yamal Air. A list of the domestic airlines at DME can be found here.

The other two are:
SVO - Sheremetyevo (was the busiest until 2013). SVO is a "Skyteam" airport and thus handles Aeroflot, Delta, Air France, KLM, all 3 major China airlines, Air Saudi, Korean Air, Aero Mexico, Altalia, etc. Any of the Skyteam affliliates will primarily use SVO. Some large carriers like Swiss Air use SVO and DME.

VKO - Vnukovo (used to be small but now handles a boatload of international flights) is where President Putin's Russia 1 and Russia 2 are operated. It is the busiest in Europe for large private jets and now handles almost 13 million passengers annually. International carriers include Rossiya, Gazpromavia, Air Dubai, Ryan Air, Turkish Air, a few Lufthansa flights, Wizz Air, UT Air-Ukraine, Air Armenia, Air Bulgaria, and about about half of the Transaero flights.

As to Tel Aviv-Moscow:
El Al flights land at DME.
Transaero flights land at VKO.
Aeroflot flights land at SVO.

Her home airport is Stavropol Shpakovskoye Airport (STW).

As to Moscow-Stavropol:
Transaero: DME to STW (1 flight daily at 6am in the morning)
S7 Air: DME to STW (1 flight daily, late morning)
UT Air: from VKO to STW (1 flight daily)
Aeroflot: from SVO to STW (2 flights daily)

If you need to move around all 3 major airports are served by Aeroexpress train service which is very easy and really convenient.
AeroExpress DME: http://www.domodedovo.ru/en/main/getting/1/aero/

AeroExpress SVO: http://www.aeroexpress.ru/en/sheremetyevo.html

AeroExpress VKO: http://www.aeroexpress.ru/en/vnukovo.html

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 08:06:59 PM »
Moscow is supposedly the largest city in Europe and very spread out so I'd recommend you time your flights so that you can do it all via DME to and from STW..

Just in case you need the AeroExpress, here is the lay of the land:

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Map source is here and pdf downloadable.

If you need a metro map other than the one I've pictured and linked bear in mind that most Metro maps of Moscow, even on the front page of Google are hopelessly outdated so the only map of Metro stations that I use is this one which is interactive and linked to the Metro itself.

Offline sharonhaber00

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 02:57:18 AM »
Thank you very much mendy  tiphat

Offline Annushka

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 09:21:17 AM »
 sharonhaber00
Why do you fly via Moscow?
Better watch the direction of Tel Aviv - Istanbul - Stavropol. And back on the same route.

http://news.kmvcity.ru/2013/12/24/vesnoi-2014-goda-nachnutsya-regulyarnie-pryamie-reisi-stavropol-stambul/43089

Can directly without the services of a travel company to make reservations gostinnica. Also, buy a plane ticket. On the Internet, online.

If you are contraindicated long trips, you can visit Pyatigorsk. There is a chairlift on Mount Beshtau.
I think you can get away from the hotel. Just buy a ticket to the resort, drink the healing water sources "Narzan". And enjoy the company of the woman he loved.
Please, if you have questions, ask. All the best. :thumbsup:

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 10:04:34 AM »
Good point, Annushka. I forgot that Turkish Air has a daily flight from Istanbul to STW.

Offline Annushka

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 01:07:33 PM »
Good point, Annushka. I forgot that Turkish Air has a daily flight from Istanbul to STW.

Impossible to know everything, Mendeleyev. I will say more. Southern Europe and southern Russia connected by air lines. If there is no direct airplane, you need to watch Istanbul. So the trip will be faster and cheaper.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 01:37:27 PM »
Personally if it's your first time in Moscow and your flight lands in off peak hours I'd get myself a taxi, it'll take you to the door of your hotel and doesn't cost much more that using the trains. Using trains is fine, but for a first time visit getting round with a bag can be a bind, for the sake of $20 or so I know what I did. Peak times don't cost much more (if at all), but you'll be sat in a taxi for a very LONG time.

Getting a hotel I used www.laterooms.com and www.hotels.com, can't remember which one but I managed to bag a top hotel suit for less than half price during peak holiday season, bang in the centre near Red Square, I did book it just a few days before departure as I am so disorganised, mapped out rather well. Should of been c£300 night, I paid c£110.

Once in Moscow, light of baggage, certainly use the metro it'll save you a fortune and once in the swing of things it's pretty easy.

Good luck.

EDIT - I'll add if you're in Moscow you MUST use the metro, it's a piece of art and very clean :nod:
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 01:53:04 PM »
Personally if it's your first time in Moscow and your flight lands in off peak hours I'd get myself a taxi

Annushka suggested a much more convenient route for him than going to Moscow then on to Stavropol: go to Istanbul then directly to Stavropol.

Her home airport is Stavropol Shpakovskoye Airport (STW).

As to Moscow-Stavropol:
Transaero: DME to STW (1 flight daily at 6am in the morning)
S7 Air: DME to STW (1 flight daily, late morning)
UT Air: from VKO to STW (1 flight daily)
Aeroflot: from SVO to STW (2 flights daily)

For guys located in Western Europe or North America who are visiting Stavropol I wanted to mention something. I have a dim memory from a few years ago of finding some difficulty arranging the timing of flights from the US to Moscow then on to the Stavropol airport, but had better luck finding acceptable flights from Moscow to the Mineralnye Vody airport, which is located in Stavropol Krai. 

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 01:59:43 PM »
It takes seven hours by bus :sick0012:. Long rides are not for me. So I gave up the idea.

Many FSU women enjoy travel; you had better get accustomed to it.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 02:10:20 PM »
Personally if it's your first time in Moscow and your flight lands in off peak hours I'd get myself a taxi

Annushka suggested a much more convenient route for him than going to Moscow then on to Stavropol: go to Istanbul then directly to Stavropol.

Well in that case I'd suggest meeting the lady in Istanbul, neutral ground, pay for her flight there. She should be delighted with that idea  :)

Depends of course on how well you know her, food for thought maybe.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline sharonhaber00

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 04:12:32 PM »
Thank you to all for your comments tiphat

Will ask the travel company when booking the flight.

It takes seven hours by bus :sick0012:. Long rides are not for me. So I gave up the idea.

Many FSU women enjoy travel; you had better get accustomed to it.

I have problem with physiology. Just can't sit many hours in one place. I have to do frequent walks to feel comfort.

Well in that case I'd suggest meeting the lady in Istanbul, neutral ground, pay for her flight there. She should be delighted with that idea  :)

Depends of course on how well you know her, food for thought maybe.

Not well enough. I think staying in her city is a better choice.

Offline sharonhaber00

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 04:21:04 PM »
I wanted to ask you about what she wrote me.

It is when I talked about the option of apartment rental:

One important thing I want you know.
During first a few days you staying in Russia YOU MUST TO DO YOUR REGISTRATION for immigrational service! ONLY (!!!) in hotel you can to do it!
Nobody in apartment will help you with the registration etc. No one businessman who do the rental work...alas.

(I spoke about legal way to live here in Russia)

A bit strange?  :-X

Offline Larry

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 04:25:48 PM »
I wanted to ask you about what she wrote me.

It is when I talked about the option of apartment rental:

One important thing I want you know.
During first a few days you staying in Russia YOU MUST TO DO YOUR REGISTRATION for immigrational service! ONLY (!!!) in hotel you can to do it!
Nobody in apartment will help you with the registration etc. No one businessman who do the rental work...alas.

(I spoke about legal way to live here in Russia)

A bit strange?  :-X

She has a good point.  A hotel will register you. They do it every day.

Many (most?) apartment owners are reluctant to register you, for various reasons.

Offline sharonhaber00

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 04:37:30 PM »

Many (most?) apartment owners are reluctant to register you, for various reasons.

Then hotel da. Apartment niet?

Offline Larry

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 04:53:36 PM »

You can register yourself, but you'll need your girlfriend's assistance because you, presumably, don't speak Russian.  On one of Bill's trips to Russia he stayed in an apartment and tried to get registered with the assistance of the girl he went to meet.  It was a difficult and time-consuming process.

A hotel would be a much easier option.  There is also the option of staying at a hotel for a night or two, having them register you, and switching to an apartment for the rest of your trip.  I don't know if this option has pitfalls. Perhaps someone else here knows.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 05:01:51 PM »

You can register yourself, but you'll need your girlfriend's assistance because you, presumably, don't speak Russian.  On one of Bill's trips to Russia he stayed in an apartment and tried to get registered with the assistance of the girl he went to meet.  It was a difficult and time-consuming process.

A hotel would be a much easier option.  There is also the option of staying at a hotel for a night or two, having them register you, and switching to an apartment for the rest of your trip.  I don't know if this option has pitfalls. Perhaps someone else here knows.

Won't apply if he's there for less than 7 working days will it?

I just binned all my paperwork on that, but I've never had to register yet, always timed it with holiday periods or stayed less than 7 working days... Sure I'm right but then someone will correct me if I'm wrong :)

Offline Larry

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »

I just binned all my paperwork on that, but I've never had to register yet, always timed it with holiday periods or stayed less than 7 working days... Sure I'm right but then someone will correct me if I'm wrong :)

I don't know.  Looks like his trip will be for at least a week's duration anyway:

The visit is planed to the end of July - first of August for one week or eight days.

Offline sharonhaber00

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 05:30:38 PM »

I don't know.  Looks like his trip will be for at least a week's duration anyway:

For this period of time is this registration needed anyway?

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 07:26:53 PM »

The details I need is about the domestic flight from Moscow to the nearest airport to Stavropol, and transportation from there to the hotel in the city, and should I book hotel for the first night through the travel agency in which I book the flight(?)

Is the airport in which the domestic flight departs from the same as this in which the international flight from Tel Aviv arrives? (It is called: DME)

For the flight use this site change the search from MOW (all Moscow airports to) to
DME and the Stavropol is airport is STW
http://cfse.momondo.com/

I found several apartments online for $30-52 here. I don't know anything
about them you might get your girl to help you out, she will know where
you want to be located etc. get an apartment rather than a hotel
Yes the registration is a pain and you need your girl to help you.

https://www.airbnb.com/
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Larry

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 07:30:20 PM »
Bill, in the intervening posts there was good advice given - to fly from Israel to Istanbul then directly to Stavropol.

But SharonHaber has recently asked questions that you are uniquely qualified to answer - about registering with the Stavropol "civil servants" upon his arrival.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 07:38:03 PM »
Bill, in the intervening posts there was good advice given - to fly from Israel to Istanbul then directly to Stavropol.

But SharonHaber has recently asked questions that you are uniquely qualified to answer - about registering with the Stavropol "civil servants" upon his arrival.

I haven't been to Stavropol, but I believe my girl registers me as staying with
her. Which I do but not at her home address. I have always had help registering
my visa which we did at the post office.
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 12:20:16 AM »

No it won't.

SharonHaber, you have 7 business days to register your visa. If you're staying for 8 days, you will not have to register (weekends are not business days). Matter of fact, if you plan it right you van stay up to 11 days without registering. So, find yourself an apt and enjoy Stavropol.

Other than the mere inconvenience, the only reason is they don't want to pay taxes on their rental money.

When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline sharonhaber00

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 02:30:36 AM »
No it won't.

SharonHaber, you have 7 business days to register your visa. If you're staying for 8 days, you will not have to register (weekends are not business days). Matter of fact, if you plan it right you van stay up to 11 days without registering. So, find yourself an apt and enjoy Stavropol.

Israeli citizens don't need visa to enter Russia. Is that matters? Anyway won't be there more than 7 worikng days. Fore most 8 days, including the day of arrival and the day of departure.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 02:52:38 AM »
Danchik is right about 7 business days.

In most cases were it me, I'd probably register just so no questions would be asked at exit but that is a personal choice. For guys who do have to register and have asked about hotels:

Large city hotels do registration online and it takes about 10 minutes tops. To rent a room without staying there just tell the desk attendant that you need visa registration and you want a "Russian Standard" room (translation: give me the crappiest room you have) which will be the cheapest. Many Russian hotels offer various levels of room standards from really nice to really bad. Smaller city hotels sometimes need a day for completing the registration.

When we host visitors I take them to the Best Western (Vega Hotel) across the parking lot from the famous Izmailovsky Market where souvenirs are big business. There is plenty of shopping nearby and the hotel is on Izmailovskoe Avenue, not far from Metro Partizanskaya. There is a nice shopping centre just across a small side street with electronics, a killer gourmet market/deli, Subway Sandwiches and Kroshka Kartoshka (potatoe cafe).

This was the "Russian Standard" room when my brother registered in 2012. The one night rate was about $28 or so. We rode the elevator up, unlocked the door, took some photos, paused at the front desk long enough to return the key, stopped to pick up a rotisserie chicken at the killer market/deli across the street and caught the Metro for home. Our guest room would be considered "Western Luxury" in hotel terms.

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

During Soviet times (the hotel was constructed for the 1098 Olympics) the in-house music service offered a choice of 3 radio stations. These days it features high-fidelity static.

ila_rendered