General Discussion > General Chat

Any New Yorkers Here? Advice Please.

(1/8) > >>

Manny:
Mrs Manny will soon have her UK passport (which means US visa waiver). I wanted to take her over the pond to take a peek at the good ol' US.

I know the US is very diverse and NY is not representative of the US generally, but it is a good place to start for a long weekend - maybe a week. We can do some shopping and generally do some relaxing, eating and snooping around.

I have been before, so I have an overall feel for the place. But probably I only did touristy stuff. I wanted some insight from a few locals. Most guys here are American, so some must be from the big apple. So what say you?

Last time I stayed at the Roosevelt, situated on Madison Avenue and 45th Street; I want a similar standard of place that is not that place. It was close enough to 5th to do some shopping, so somewhere nearby or where do you recommend?

A good steak house nearby is a must, maybe it was just me but I thought Mortons sucked.  :biggrin:

Last time I just hailed cabs as an when I wanted them. Is that the only deal or is there another way? Are the ones you call cheaper?

Should we stay just in Manhattan or go further afield? Is there anything to do in Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens?

Where do you recommend to eat?

Where do you recommend to shop?

I dislike being ripped off as a gullible limey tourist, I prefer to go a couple of blocks further and get value for money.

Basically, if you are New Yorker, give me some pointers please?

We wont be going for a few months - until it warms up a bit, so this is open for a while.

Rasputin:
I am not from the USA, but my wife and I spent a few days in NYC in December. A few of the things we enjoyed:

The Broadway musical Ragtime. In Times Square, you can buy same day tickets to go see a Broadway show. We were able to get our tickets at 50% off. It cost us $68-or-so per ticket, but well worth the money. As it was a Tuesday after the Thanksgiving long weekend, we were able to buy a pair of tickets in a matter of minutes to the show that we wanted to see. Great seats: in the middle eight rows in. I would say that is a must-do when in New York.

We were staying in a cheap hotel a few minutes from Times Square and simply walked and took the Subway. We took of course the ferry to Staten Island. It was a bit chilly, but it provided a nice view of the Statue of Liberty.

Of course, out of curiosity, we went to check out Brighton Beach.

I enjoyed the Metropolitan Museum of Art, but best to spend a few days there alone as it is massive  tiphat

As for shopping, we had to go to Macy's of course. It was a lot larger than I expected.

mike64:
heres a really good steak house but its kind of expensive   http://www.peterluger.com/
 for some shopping , canal street is pretty good   but its a very long street   there are different sections.. clothing leather electronics  jewelry  you name it its there all  in mostly small shops  and you can make deals  haggle etc ...not really a tourist area but you might find it interesting    http://www.allny.com/shopping-articles/canal-street-deals-new-york.html ... new york  city has just about everything you could imagine  it really just depends on your tastes   times square at night is pretty cool .. dont miss that !  all the different art museums  and galleries , the viillage is interesting  place   lots of small bars and pubs  and art for sale this area is full of musicians and artists .. but be warned you will see many openly gay people there   and be careful of what places you walk into cause it might be a gays only night ..  but the door man would probably let you know  whatsa up   before you go in ...so if you have a low tolerence for such things.... be warned    oh yea not alot to do in staten island its the worlds largest trash  dump its pretty much the armpit of the 5 boros and it smells like garbage seriously!

cufflinks:
Manny:

My Biz Partner's family is from the City and I visit a couple times a year - this is a very reasonable service that features fully guided shopping tours or very frugal insider where to shop self guided itineraries - I use them or similar when I go - also I like to visit the Observation deck at the Empire State Building if the Weather is Nice...  Recently saw a news segment that indicated these guided shopping tours for real bargains are booming with the dollar low for EU visitors and not just 5th Avenue top designers top dollar shops - of course Consignment can be major deals and there are boutique shopping hotels that you can book at a comparative bargain rates - just email the tour operators - they are all locals and research the best deals weekly for their tour guides.  No VAT so many Brits and Euros coming over and claim the savings in wardrobe upgrades alone pays for the trip versus full priced VAT shopping in EU.

Oh don't be afraid to haggle in the USA now in this economy staff sort of expects it...

EXPLORE NYC with one of our SELF-GUIDED TOUR ITINERARIES!

http://www.shop-nyctours.com/self-guidedtours/

For $9.95 we will E-MAIL you an itinerary of your choice complete with detailed directions (via subway or cab – YOU CHOOSE), and insider’s tips including what to wear, what to expect, and how much $$$ to bring.

For $19.95 we will DELIVER a printed itinerary (complete with detailed directions and insider’s tips) of your choice to your hotel or MAIL it directly to you.
CHOOSE from the FOLLOWING OPTIONS or REQUEST A CUSTOMIZED TOUR ITINERARY:

* FASHIONISTA FAVS: If you’re a trendsetter with a passion for fashion, this is the itinerary for you!  Visit some of the hippest neighborhoods including Greenwich Village, Soho and the Meatpacking District.  Boutique discounts are included along with some suggestions for a cocktail along the way!

* VINTAGE CHIC: If you’re a vintage and consignment lover, this is the itinerary for you!  Visit some of the hippest neighborhoods in NYC including the East Village and West Soho.  Boutique discounts are included along with some suggestions for the city’s best latte and sweet treats along the way!

* HOME DECOR: If you have a love for decorating your home, this is the itinerary for you!  Visit some quaint, unique boutiques along with some home decor mega-stores!  Enjoy some amazing bakeries and cafes along the way!

* UNIQUE GIFTS: If you enjoy unique boutiques where you can find original artistry including hand-made jewelry, glassware, games, candles and other trinkets, this is the itinerary for you!  Visit some quaint gift shops only found in NYC and enjoy some lovely cafes along the way!

* RECESSION SPECIALS: If you’re a Recessionista (you love the latest fashion but with a bargain price tag), this is the itinerary for you!  Visit some fabulous bargain boutiques you can’t find anywhere but NYC along with some discount mega-stores (a la DSW!)  Enjoy some cheap New York eats along the way!  

ADD SAMPLE SALE SECRETS TO ANY OF THE ABOVE FOR $9.95*:  If you want to find New York City’s hottest and latest sample sales, add this option to ANY itinerary above for just $9.95 and you’ll get THE complete list of UP-TO-DATE SAMPLE SALES along with their secret addresses.  (Don’t confuse this with Recession Specials as some designer sample sales are still a little pricey.)  *If you’d like a Sample Sale Self-Guided Tour Itinerary COMPLETE with detailed directions and maps, you must provide us with the specific DATE you plan to tour.  Additional fees apply.

Another Hip "insider's Guide to NYC - started in NYC and became so popular they added multiple Cities...

http://www.dailycandy.com/new-york/

Have fun!

ECR844:
Although I'm not a New Yorker I have spent a considerable amount of time in the city there. So here are some recommendations that should work out for you. They'll be linked so you can explore them. Since your an upscale '10 Downing street' luxurious kind of guy I'll take a crack at things from that perspective.

You'll be in the company of a celebrity model and the Rooosevelt wasn't to your liking you could always stay here with the other fine folks in a great location, or alternatively here.. A less expensive but still great place to stay is The Mercer.

For some hints on top notch street food visit here. For fancier diggs and nice restraurants you can alway dine at Le cirque 2000, Cippriani(If you go to Cipriani downtown they have a private exclusive night club where celebs and the wealthy enjoy dancing the night away. It's a great experience if they let you in :) ), Tavern on the green in central park, or for abit of Russia in America you can try the Russian tea room(They have a wonderful 'Royal High Tea' experience the missus is sure to enjoy*Hint* :-X). for outstanding SAKE with a wide selection and unprentious atmosphere try this cubby hole bar. Great sushi can be had here at MASA. Try momofuku. Some Great Italian can be had at Del Posto Ristorante, Thomas Keller place Per Se has great continental and upscale french food. All are top notch bistros and high quality restaurants. Sports and partying can be had at Jayz's 40/40 club as well.

Shopping will be fun with Mrs. Manny for shoes at Manolo Blahnik, Swing by Balenciagafor some complimentary bubbly and dresses. then since you'll need a break head on over to Ascot Chang and get a bespoke suit and some nice stuff for yourself. All in all the choices are endless. You could swing by and pick up some bling for Mrs Manny on your romantic getaway, and the house of Graff is sure to be able to service all your needs for that. :nod: ;D

If no one pops in with touristy stuff, and your not broke and destitute from all the nice places I've sent you so far let me know. I'll throw some up more up for you. tiphat 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version