Information & Chat > Visas, Legal Paperwork and Other Documentation

Usage of Russian and UK Passports at Different Borders

<< < (2/6) > >>

sparky114:

--- Quote from: WestCoast on December 08, 2009, 12:45:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: Manny on December 07, 2009, 04:19:01 PM ---We recently put in wifey's application for Naturalisation. She should get it early next year - all well and good.

Her forthcoming UK passport will be in her married surname. Her Russian passport is in her maiden name. That is how we want it to stay.

So we have read everywhere that its very easy: You travel to Russia using your Russian passport, and you come back using your UK passport.

However, wifey sees an issue with this. Leaving the UK, she can show a Russian passport to demonstrate right of entry to Russia. No problem (differing surname can be explained - we are logical here). However, leaving Russia, bound for the UK, because she was not stamped into Russia on her UK passport and has no visa, and will not have a current UK visa in her Russian passport (because it is in her old one), she is worried.

If she shows both, she feels the difference in surname between the two passports will create problems (because one must register marriage in Russia and she never did because we married in England). She doesn't want the hassle of having to change her internal passport, propiskas etc. It is simpler she stays maiden name in Russia.

Options include: Getting a Russian visa in her UK passport - ludicrous as she is a RU citizen anyway. Paying the Home Office even more money to duplicate her ILR in her new Russian passport (and assume they wont notice she was never stamped out of the UK). Show her old Russian passport with ILR in to demonstrate right of entry - she is wary of doing that even though she read you can.

She thinks making it complicated leaving Russia with multiple travel documents in various names will just leave her open to delays, bribes and general hassle.

Does anyone here have a wife who maintained her Russian surname in her Russian passport and her married name in her UK (or US) passport? How is this best approached?

--- End quote ---

The simplest solution is of course the easiest, don't change her surname. Why is it necessary?  If she doesn't change her surname the same name will appear in both passports.

--- End quote ---

Well we have already changed Elena's internal passport and will change her International when it is due to be renewed

Then we wont get the name not the same problem :)

It is easy and for the right money in Russia can be done quick and save loads of grief  :biggrin:

Chris:

--- Quote from: WestCoast on December 08, 2009, 12:45:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: Manny on December 07, 2009, 04:19:01 PM ---We recently put in wifey's application for Naturalisation. She should get it early next year - all well and good.

Her forthcoming UK passport will be in her married surname. Her Russian passport is in her maiden name. That is how we want it to stay.

So we have read everywhere that its very easy: You travel to Russia using your Russian passport, and you come back using your UK passport.

However, wifey sees an issue with this. Leaving the UK, she can show a Russian passport to demonstrate right of entry to Russia. No problem (differing surname can be explained - we are logical here). However, leaving Russia, bound for the UK, because she was not stamped into Russia on her UK passport and has no visa, and will not have a current UK visa in her Russian passport (because it is in her old one), she is worried.

If she shows both, she feels the difference in surname between the two passports will create problems (because one must register marriage in Russia and she never did because we married in England). She doesn't want the hassle of having to change her internal passport, propiskas etc. It is simpler she stays maiden name in Russia.

Options include: Getting a Russian visa in her UK passport - ludicrous as she is a RU citizen anyway. Paying the Home Office even more money to duplicate her ILR in her new Russian passport (and assume they wont notice she was never stamped out of the UK). Show her old Russian passport with ILR in to demonstrate right of entry - she is wary of doing that even though she read you can.

She thinks making it complicated leaving Russia with multiple travel documents in various names will just leave her open to delays, bribes and general hassle.

Does anyone here have a wife who maintained her Russian surname in her Russian passport and her married name in her UK (or US) passport? How is this best approached?

--- End quote ---

The simplest solution is of course the easiest, don't change her surname. Why is it necessary?  If she doesn't change her surname the same name will appear in both passports.

--- End quote ---

OR change her name to yours in all passports like we did just after we got married, its no big deal really, if you know the right people it can be pushed through very quickly, if you don't it takes a little longer  :-X   :)

Manny:
Changing an internal passport takes time. Then one must change property documents etc to reflect the new name. More time and money.

There are numerous advantages to having the passports in differing names.

Yoshik:
All I can say is that I think the changing of names difficulty is being overplayed.

Within 8 days of being married my wife's internal passport was renewed in her married name, and her external within another 7 days. As the Russian translation of her new double barreled surname bears no relation to the correct spelling, the passport issuing authority took a copy of my passport and hand wrote the correct translation into the passport with an official stamp.

All of this was done with no backhanders.

The question of taxation, medical, property etc. was all handled by a notary and cost $300, and was comleted in 10 working days.

I am truly believe that people overstate the difficulties.

To clarify all of these transactions took place in SpB.

AnfieldRiot:

While I may not have the exact situation to speak from I come close to your overall situation.  I usually head across the ocean at least twice a year and I frequently switch up my passports on entry and exit, mostly because I enjoy trying to fill the pack back pages with a new stamp.

I have four passports to use and I honestly can't remember handing the same one in on a trip, I've been questioned on two occassions with one being serious but it was for matters outside of switching passports. Only once have I ever been asked to show the passport I used on entry and it was no problems once they looked it over.  I'd tell the wife to keep the passport that isn't being used on entry/exit in her back pocket and simply produce when/if asked.

If anyone is tough, it's the English, especially Gatwick, aside from there it's been pretty smooth sailing. Most agents want to see what gives you the right to enter their country... even in Minsk they didn't bother me much. I honestly wouldn't worry about your current situation too much, seems like you're properly covered.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version