The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: I'm Pretty Sure I Was Scammed For a Good Time!  (Read 50522 times)

Offline Vinnvinny

• Trips: 20+
Re: I'm Pretty Sure I Was Scammed For a Good Time!
« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2009, 03:43:53 AM »
[you tell me..you were the first person on here to say that she scammed me.

I didn't say she scammed you, I said you had been scammed.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #151 on: October 19, 2009, 05:57:07 AM »
Who is more culpable, the guy on the street who is watching for the cops or the robber who blows the bank clerk's brains out?

After sleeping on this last night, I've had a bit of a change of opinion on this matter.  Clearly Anastasia set up the scam and extracted the lion's share of the profit from our protagonist.  However the image of the girl is what they used to "bait the trap".  She has to be complicit at some level in the scam.

The guy spent $4000 on an 8 day trip.  Minus $1000 for airfare leaves $3000 for 8 days or $375 per day.  Assuming that normal expenses for lodging, meals and interpreter would have been no more than $200 per day, we can guesstimate that Anastasia netted about $1400 from our boy.  My "educated guess" is the girl pocketed somewhere between $350-$500 of that money in "revenue sharing".  I think it highly unlikely that she is completely innocent in this whole story and would no doubt, be "immediately available" if our hero were to announce his intention to return to her home city within the next 30 days.   

If she has 3-4 men like this each month coming to visit her from Anastasia web, she's making between $1050 - $2000 per month tax free on"appearance fees" from Anastasia.  Not a bad home-based business for an aspiring actress, model and "also ran" in a 2008 third-tier international beauty contest. 

There is definitely a scam going on here.  Unfortunately in order to expose the scam, you've got to expose the bait.  The agency is using her picture to draw in customers, so you need to alert other men that might be in contact with her of what has happened to you.  The only way to do that is to post her name and picture when exposing the scam.  Her degree of culpability might not be as great as Anastasia Agency, but that's the price she has to pay for enriching herself by being associated with a thief like Elena Besuden.

Exposing her photo on the various scam sites would serve the purpose of reducing her future marketing value to Anastasia and that's what you really want to do isn't it?  Isn't the Agency who you want to punish instead of the girl?

My only caution would be to be careful in how you tell the story.  Words of disappointment and broken dreams make you appear to be a jilted lover out for revenge.  Exposing the way Anastasia "milked you" for profit is certainly fair game.  Carefully word your story to maximize the negative exposure toward Anastasia and minimize the pain you feel at losing the girl. 

There is no doubt you can find what you're looking for in the FSU.  Like others, you got "burned" on your first attempt and your ass is a little chaffed because of it.  Natural to be a bit gunshy at this point.  However, if you look at the experience as a "lesson learned" and don't repeat those mistakes again, you'll be ready to get back on the plane and try again; this time with a much more suitable prospect. 

Good luck whatever you decide to do.   

"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline tainted

« Reply #152 on: October 19, 2009, 06:40:04 AM »
well..for what its worth i got off the phone with my translator and she told me i shouldnt worry and that she is busy and i should hear from her... :'(

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #153 on: October 19, 2009, 06:40:15 AM »
Whilst I agree with almost everything you written Shakey, I do have two reservations regarding your comments.

1) We have no idea if this lady was in cahoots with Anastasia or made any money from her dates with Richey. We are guessing she might of and it’s very probable she did but we don’t know.

2) Do these anti scam sites really protect anyone? Richey communicated with this lady for up to a year and no doubt spent many $’s in the process. We have to assume that at no time did he google “Anastasia Scam” or else we wouldn’t be reading his tale of woe. These anti scam sites could possibly provide some worth to guys with a bit more nous who are prepared to do some due diligence but how many of those would be using Anastasia or contacting our model anyway?

I was criticised last night for being too hard on Richey and for not being very sympathetic. I would ask the likes of Boris and Ed, if they had read about a guy who had sent $4K to Nigeria to the Sister of the late Prince Eke Ahmed-Ngo on the basis that they would be receiving 50% of $20m within 7 days then how much sympathy would they be extending in those circumstances and what’s the difference between such a tale and that of Richey’s?

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2009, 06:52:11 AM »
Whilst I agree with almost everything you written Shakey, I do have two reservations regarding your comments.

1) We have no idea if this lady was in cahoots with Anastasia or made any money from her dates with Richey. We are guessing she might of and it's very probable she did but we don't know. 

Preponderance of evidence.  Not fullproof, but when you see smoke, they're almost always fire.  Likely enough to be true that a warning on a scamsite that conveys the facts without too much emotion is certainly warranted. 

2) Do these anti scam sites really protect anyone? Richey communicated with this lady for up to a year and no doubt spent many $’s in the process. We have to assume that at no time did he google “Anastasia Scam” or else we wouldn't be reading his tale of woe. These anti scam sites could possibly provide some worth to guys with a bit more nous who are prepared to do some due diligence but how many of those would be using Anastasia or contacting our model anyway? 

Her name doesn't come up on any of the usual "scam sites" when you google it.  Based on what we've read, it probably needs to have some kind of flag attached.  Post picture because the name is certain to change once exposed.  Too much potential revenue at stake for Anastasia to retire her just because of one scam report.  My guess there will be others to quickly follow once the first one sees the light of day.

I'd sure be shocked if I were sending letters to her through Anastasia and discovered this story.  Would cause me to ask more  questions and definitely put a clamp on the checkbook.  Putting the picture out there for others to see may well give cause to pause to some who are clever enough to do some reseach.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2009, 06:54:21 AM »
well..for what its worth i got off the phone with my translator and she told me i shouldn't worry and that she is busy and i should hear from her... :'(

What do you expect her to say?  She's trying to keep open the possibility of more revenue coming in. 

Try a test.  Write back and tell her you're thinking about making another trip in November but are waiting to receive a message form her before you procede with your plan.  Under those circumstances, I'd wager you hear from her in 48 hours tops. 

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #156 on: October 19, 2009, 07:23:13 AM »
Richey,

Several years ago, a former Anastasia girl told me that cooperation was not optional, it was obligatory. She had been advised that most men would never visit and that the translators would take care of correspondence. In the unlikely event that a man did visit, she would be briefed and she was required to meet with him. Whether or not she chose to have sex was up to her but she was warned that she shouldn't take them seriously because most of the losers were only visiting for sex. She was paid an undisclosed amount for the use of her photos and for each meeting that she kept. She also received frequent motivational talks (at no cost to her!) about the possibility of meeting an extraordinary man through the process. In the end she realized that she had made a deal with the devil because the circumstances under which she was forced to operate killed her ability to open up to the men who visited.

The moral of this story is that you shouldn't be too quick to judge; the girls are used also (until their beauty fades).

p.s.

The less attractive women have a different deal: they have to pay to have their profiles listed, thus, it is possible to find a sincere girl on that infamous site, but they will not be mistaken for photomodels.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #157 on: October 19, 2009, 08:13:19 AM »

1) We have no idea if this lady was in cahoots with Anastasia or made any money from her dates with Richey. We are guessing she might of and it’s very probable she did but we don’t know.

2) Do these anti scam sites really protect anyone? Richey communicated with this lady for up to a year and no doubt spent many $’s in the process. We have to assume that at no time did he google “Anastasia Scam” or else we wouldn’t be reading his tale of woe. These anti scam sites could possibly provide some worth to guys with a bit more nous who are prepared to do some due diligence but how many of those would be using Anastasia or contacting our model anyway?

I was criticised last night for being too hard on Richey and for not being very sympathetic. I would ask the likes of Boris and Ed, if they had read about a guy who had sent $4K to Nigeria to the Sister of the late Prince Eke Ahmed-Ngo on the basis that they would be receiving 50% of $20m within 7 days then how much sympathy would they be extending in those circumstances and what’s the difference between such a tale and that of Richey’s?

well, here is the response from the "likes" of Ed. The difference is that the guy who sent money to Nigeria was guided purely by greed. In the case of Richey, surely the guy fell in love with a beautiful model which is a lot different IMO. Naive or not, we should recognise that he isn't just upset about the money here, but also emotionally devastated.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #158 on: October 19, 2009, 08:19:53 AM »
The moral of this story is that you shouldn't be too quick to judge; the girls are used also (until their beauty fades). 

So you're implying the girl here is completely and totally without blame? 

To her credit, she didn't take "extra" advantage of the situation by taking him on an expensive shopping spree.  In that regard she certainly isn't the typical "professional dater".  But doesn't she bear some complicity by allowing her image to be used in the fleecing by Anastasia and then by sharing in some of the ill-gotten gain?

So how do you expose the scam by Anastasia without exposing the "bait"?  To me the two go hand-in-hand.  If they used her photo without consent and she wasn't making an "appearance fee" by meeting the "mark" and by her mere presence lending credibility to the scam, then that would be another kettle of fish altogether.  But she is.  Shouldn't she, to some extent, share in the guilt and resulting consequences of that guilt?  Or maybe I'm making the mistake of trying to apply western morality to someone from the FSU?

By posting her name and image on a scam site, wouldn't that provide a deterrent to other ladies who are approached by Anastasia to be used in a similar fashion?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #159 on: October 19, 2009, 08:22:59 AM »
Whether the girl is a scammer is debatable, therefore it should be the benefit of the doubt for the girl.

No question though, is that Anastasiaweb made another victim. My advice to Garichie is that he should let this disaster sleep for a few weeks, then get back on the horse and read on this forum how to snag yourself a true gem.

I have never been happier since I was successful. All the bad parts of this deal instantly faded whenever I think of Lena. She is a gift from heaven. It took me 3 trips to find her, but I learned a lot in the process.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline tainted

« Reply #160 on: October 19, 2009, 08:40:12 AM »
Naive or not, we should recognize that he isn't just upset about the money here, but also emotionally devastated.

Couldnt care less about the money...i would give another 4k to not feel like this..

I am not in love...but i did grow to care about her and love the person i thought i was talking to...

but emotionally devastated? well...i can say that i am pretty damn close to it.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #161 on: October 19, 2009, 08:42:05 AM »
I've talked to a couple of girls who participated in scams like this as models in the past. basically they usually know that a man is being lied to. There's no way they wouldn't know because they must be briefed on the correspondence between "her" and him, which she hasn't participated in, in reality.
But these girls don't look at it as a real hard crime. One girl told me "if an "Amerikos" (a slang word for an American) is dumb enough to pay for this, he deserves what ever he gets". That's the mentality.
Some of these girls are more hard core than others and will try to get a guy for everything they can besides getting a cut from their agency.
This girl had enough decency not to let him buy expensive stuff for her and just fullfilled her contractual obligations.
Richey, my man, move on, learn from your misstakes, and when you are ready start talking to some real, single Russian women who are actually interested in a relationship.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #162 on: October 19, 2009, 08:50:18 AM »
But these girls don't look at it as a real hard crime.  One girl told me "if an "Amerikos" (a slang word for an American) is dumb enough to pay for this, he deserves what ever he gets". That's the mentality. 

Absolutely true Eduard.  That mentality commonly exists in the FSU.  Almost a blame the victim mentality and revere the crook who was clever enough to pull the whole thing off.  It's all about being the person at the end of the day who ends up holding the money.   

Offline tainted

« Reply #163 on: October 19, 2009, 08:56:20 AM »
One girl told me "if an "Amerikos" (a slang word for an American) is dumb enough to pay for this, he deserves what ever he gets". That's the mentality. 

Absolutely true Eduard.  That mentality commonly exists in the FSU.  Almost a blame the victim mentality and revere the crook who was clever enough to pull the whole thing off.  It's all about being the person at the end of the day who ends up holding the money.   

and this is why i wont do this again...

Offline TomT

« Reply #164 on: October 19, 2009, 08:58:47 AM »
So you're implying the girl here is completely and totally without blame? 

No.

Offline Boris

« Reply #165 on: October 19, 2009, 09:07:53 AM »

I can't speak for Ed. Vinny, I told you at the time I agreed with you but it is difficult to get through to someone with a cast iron clue bat. Sometimes a fungo works much better.

-The likes of Boris

Offline tainted

« Reply #166 on: October 19, 2009, 09:21:56 AM »
Look, i dont want people getting all pissed at one another over this..
Bottom line is i was screwed over bad...period..
thats really all that matters.

Offline B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #167 on: October 19, 2009, 09:38:55 AM »
I was criticised last night for being too hard on Richey and for not being very sympathetic.

See, here's the thing:  A buddy of mine who is a holy-roller type Christian (or perhaps he fakes it, passably; it was basically a requirement to marry his wife), says "there's a way to tell someone they're going to hell that only makes them want to get there faster".

So, in my recent years, anyway, I prefer to outline my thought process, and let whoever I am talking to arrive at the "A-ha!" moment, on their own.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline TomT

« Reply #168 on: October 19, 2009, 09:41:07 AM »
Rickey,

It's probably come to your attention that selecting a potential wife based on unrealistic professional photos and insipid profile platitudes has some inherent problems, correct?

Offline tainted

« Reply #169 on: October 19, 2009, 09:43:26 AM »
Rickey,

It's probably come to your attention that selecting a potential wife based on unrealistic professional photos.
it wasnt just that...yeah..her looks got me there..but i liked what she had to say and thats what kept me there.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #170 on: October 19, 2009, 09:47:10 AM »
Look, i don't want people getting all pissed at one another over this..
that's really all that matters. 

Anastasia abused your trust as a client, that's for sure.  Thy do it to ALL their clients.  That's why Elena Besuden and her live in boyfriend Dan Sikes are millionaires right now.

You can either take your ball and go home or pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back in the game.  Many of us (myself included) have been hurt MUCH WORSE THAN YOU while in pursuit of their goal and we didn't quit.  We found our happiness by trying again.

I know you can too!

My suggestion is you start by buying and reading the book "Russian Bride Guide".  It will help to provide you the necessary motivation and will definitely start you in the right direction for success in this endeavor.  Here's the link to the book:
http://russianbrideguide.org/

Good luck.  Don't quit now.  Learn and move on!   

Offline TomT

« Reply #171 on: October 19, 2009, 09:50:04 AM »
it wasnt just that...yeah..her looks got me there..but i liked what she had to say and thats what kept me there.

Does "she" refer to Alina or to the translator?

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #172 on: October 19, 2009, 09:52:06 AM »

Touche' Tom

Offline tainted

« Reply #173 on: October 19, 2009, 09:53:26 AM »

No idea at this point.

Offline LoyalMan

• ChiNazi scientists have invented Wuhan Virus Test Agent with accuracy rate close to 0%
  • Spouses Country: Neptune
« Reply #174 on: October 19, 2009, 10:03:03 AM »
Look, i don't want people getting all pissed at one another over this..
that's really all that matters. 

Anastasia abused your trust as a client, that's for sure.  Thy do it to ALL their clients.  That's why Elena Besuden and her live in boyfriend Dan Sikes are millionaires right now.

You can either take your ball and go home or pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back in the game.  Many of us (myself included) have been hurt MUCH WORSE THAN YOU while in pursuit of their goal and we didn't quit.  We found our happiness by trying again.

I know you can too!

My suggestion is you start by buying and reading the book "Russian Bride Guide".  It will help to provide you the necessary motivation and will definitely start you in the right direction for success in this endeavor.  Here's the link to the book:
http://russianbrideguide.org/

Good luck.  Don't quit now.  Learn and move on!   

Report to FBI about Anastasia's crime!!!