Information & Chat > FSU Service Providers and Useful Resources

Questions for Stirlitz (self-promotion w/o bickering)

(1/16) > >>

Stirlitz:
Here you can ask me any questions. Whatever and as many as you like. However, I am not going to answer all of them, only the ones that I like :) Please do not ask me how much juice I need — a lot.

For those who do not know me you can visit my web site in my profile to get an idea. I discovered the Russian Women Guide in 2004 but I have not been active on the forums for a few years. Now I have a lot of translation work and do guiding/interpreting only occasionally if it is worth my time and hassle. So to be serious, I do not really need any promotion. But I am missing talking on the forums to people from different cultures and I need some practice talking English even in writing. My current job is somewhat boring: I translate manuals for engines, bulldozers and other stuff. Most of the manuals have been translated before and the new ones only differ a little so I have to edit/alter, copy/paste more than actually translate from scratch. So I do not wish to end up like many translators who cannot interpret and are only used to written translations. Years ago I discovered that boards offered very good practice in English even though you did not actually get to talk. I am also missing many good friends whom I met over the boards and some of whom are still around. So I would be glad to chat.

Voyager:
Hi Stirlitz, I've moved your thread into "FSU Service providers", because it's for guides & translators, as opposed to agencies.

Where do you work as a guide? Only in Ukraine?

Stirlitz:
I started it in Agencies because Brass suggested so. But it does not matter.

I work mainly in Ukraine though I have been to Russia on business a couple of times. I am located in the south so I often work there but I do travel in other parts of Ukraine. To the west quite seldom.

Voyager:
Are you originally from South Ukraine or Crimea?

Or do you just prefer to live there?

Stirlitz:
I was born in Odessa and had lived there until 2003 in the downtown. Then I decided to move to the Crimea and bought a house there. Next year I got married in Odessa and had to move back but I kept my Crimean house. My wife does not want to live there. So I stay in Odessa most of my time but I go to the Crimea nearly every month for a week or two. So I have two homes. It is many more costs than living in one place but it is worth it. In Odessa it is an apartment in a high rise in an uptown. In the Crimea it is a cottage in a small village far from cities.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version