The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Healthcare for Foreigners in the FSU  (Read 6943 times)

Offline Fo

Healthcare for Foreigners in the FSU
« on: August 30, 2009, 04:23:11 PM »
I've only been to the doctor six times in my life ( touch wood), but it would be a right pain if you did get sick. Is there no private healthcare that a body can sign up for? Is it only Blighty that has a National Health Service? 
Fly

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 05:26:39 PM »
I hear you. I've only been to the doctor six times in my life ( touch wood), but it would be a right pain if you did get sick. Is there no private healthcare that a body can sign up for? Is it only Blighty that has a National Health Service? 

Best national health services:

Canada, UK, France, Norway then the rest of the EU to some degree...  go figure - Ukraine does seem to have good dental clinics at a fraction of the cost here in the USA (Discussed at length on other threads...)  but for some reason Medical Care in the FSU is archaic unless you go to a German or US run clinic and pay EU or US prices!

Interesting that I met a Brit in Manchester UK that runs a helicopter medivac service for UK expats in Portugal to fly them back to the UK if they need emegency medical care so if you do go to UA don't give up your UK NHS card ;)

Offline Fo

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 06:28:47 PM »
Cheers Cuff.

I tell a lie actually. I've been sick loads in East Africa, but having been born and raised in Blighty you kind of expect that. Dysentery, some kind of weird thing where the slightest break in the skin won't heal but just opens up more and more. And that includes when a mossy sticks you. A variety of other weirdness.

Which country are you living in mate?
Fly

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 07:16:08 PM »
Cheers Cuff.

I tell a lie actually. I've been sick loads in East Africa, but having been born and raised in Blighty you kind of expect that. Dysentery, some kind of weird thing where the slightest break in the skin won't heal but just opens up more and more. And that includes when a mossy sticks you. A variety of other weirdness.

Which country are you living in mate?

The State of New Hampshire (50 Miles North of Boston, Massachusetts) in heart of the "New England" region of the USA - pick your own apple picking season coming up starting this weekend!

Will try to post some pics....

Worked in the spring of 2004 in Warrington UK at the Birchwood Tech Park for 4 months on a IT support contract for VIA networks at the time - enjoyed both Liverpool and Manchester and was a bit surprised to see that the rivalry between the 2 cities was near riots...  truly enjoyed my time in the UK and now have an even greater appreciation for New Hampshire - still a bit of wilderness here with wild Deer, Moose and Black Bears - not nearly as wild as Alaska and Canada though as your lot settled here in the mid to late 1600's  - still plenty of 1700's pre-revolutionary homes in the villages here and abouts...  A fan of more modern style of Post and Beam construction started here back in the days of the early colonies.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 02:29:03 AM »

but for some reason Medical Care in the FSU is archaic unless you go to a German or US run clinic and pay EU or US prices!

When Mrs Moby goes back to Siberia she pays bobbins for locally run/ funded medical lab tests..at modern facilities..

Mike, you have NEVER BEEN to Russia.. please stop speaking with authority about something you haven't experienced... and clearly know b'all about..!

so if you do go to UA don't give up your UK NHS card ;)

OH DEAR..

Mike.. THE EHC ( European Health Card ) is valid in EEA nations and the EU member nations..

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/TravellingAbroad/BeforeYouTravel/DG_4019496

It is as much use as a chocolate teapot in UA :(

Mike, this is NOT a "witch hunt".. There's no doubting your wish to be helpful -  but posting misleading info ..?

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 03:37:40 AM »

but for some reason Medical Care in the FSU is archaic unless you go to a German or US run clinic and pay EU or US prices!

When Mrs Moby goes back to Siberia she pays bobbins for locally run/ funded medical lab tests..at modern facilities..

Mike, you have NEVER BEEN to Russia.. please stop speaking with authority about something you haven't experienced... and clearly know b'all about..!

so if you do go to UA don't give up your UK NHS card ;)

OH DEAR..

Mike.. THE EHC ( European Health Card ) is valid in EEA nations and the EU member nations..

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/TravellingAbroad/BeforeYouTravel/DG_4019496

It is as much use as a chocolate teapot in UA :(

Mike, this is NOT a "witch hunt".. There's no doubting your wish to be helpful -  but posting misleading info ..?
I hate this EHC/EHIC. It's just a load of bull... They should change it's name because it doesn't cover "Europe" but only EU, Turkey  :fighting0025: and Australia  ??? There's a lot more to Europe than just the EEA/EU  :'(

Offline Fo

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 05:03:41 AM »
Cuff:
Johnny Apple seed country? Sounds cool. You're right, it's hard-impossible to feel you're in the wilderness here. Too small a place. Good to hear you did a bit of Social climbing coming to blighty ;D :) . Mind you, Warrington is a bit of a shit 'ole. If you think Manc/Liv is bad, its not the worst. Try war of the roses. Hooliganism runs long and deep. We're not a bad lot though in general, just a bit uncivilised.

Moby
Thanks for the alternative view bud. I hear they've trained doctors coming out of their ears over there. From what I've read the education system is better than ours, so hopefully that will follow through.

Herrie

It is a bit dumb eh. Politics.

I suppose it will be regional and about funding. That's the case even here sometimes eh.
Fly

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 08:55:15 AM »

Thanks for the alternative view bud. I hear they've trained doctors coming out of their ears over there. From what I've read the education system is better than ours, so hopefully that will follow through.

Hey Fo,

How's about ye, wee maun?

All I can say is I am AMAZED how much ladies educated in the Soviet era know about the UK, it's history and western writers / playwrights .

For SURE the ave. FSU citizen SEEMS to be better educated.

Wifey's son was SHOCKED at how kids in the UK address teachers / lecturers... He was WAY ahead of kids his age..

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 09:01:16 AM »

I hate this EHC/EHIC. It's just a load of bull... They should change it's name because it doesn't cover "Europe" but only EU, Turkey  :fighting0025: and Australia  ??? There's a lot more to Europe than just the EEA/EU  :'(

I checked out the value of the EHIC in 'Oz
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/Pages/NonEEAcountries.aspx

Thank Herrie - I DIDN'T know that the card was useful in so many other countries

So I thought I'd check out UKRAINE

OMG

I owe Cuffy a HUGE apology..

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/Pages/NonEEAK-Z.aspx#q14

The EHIC *could* be useful in UA  :-[ :bow:

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 09:38:15 AM »

I hate this EHC/EHIC. It's just a load of bull... They should change it's name because it doesn't cover "Europe" but only EU, Turkey  :fighting0025: and Australia  ??? There's a lot more to Europe than just the EEA/EU  :'(

I checked out the value of the EHIC in 'Oz
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/Pages/NonEEAcountries.aspx

Thank Herrie - I DIDN'T know that the card was useful in so many other countries

So I thought I'd check out UKRAINE

OMG

I owe Cuffy a HUGE apology..

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/Pages/NonEEAK-Z.aspx#q14

The EHIC *could* be useful in UA  :-[ :bow:
Aaarrrgghhh it's rediculous, they can't even sync the countries between the different EU nations....

UA not mentioned in our list (and I was wrong with Turkey, though I recall seeing it earlier somewhere....)

According to my insurance it covers the following:
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Cyprus (Greek part)
Czech
Bulgaria
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Great Brittain
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Slovenia
Slovakia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland

Offline sparky114

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 09:56:19 AM »
Thank Heavens that the UK and Russia have a reciprocal health agreement

Don't get the bureaucracy with the EU in Russia
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 10:33:07 AM »
Its not the EHIC that is of use in Ukraine, its the fact that the UK has a reciprocal agreement with Ukraine that you can get free healthcare should you wish it, although it is still probably better advised to pay for it with someone you trust  :-X
Слава Україні

Offline Fo

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 12:54:48 PM »
Sparky / Chris

When you say reciprocal arrangement are you talking of the E111 jobby? Or is it something else specific to the UK/ FSU?
Fly

Offline Fo

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »
Moby

I work in one of the best schools in the country (gradeswise anyway) and the amount of lip is shocking.
Don't get me wrong I'm not posh or owt ( feel free to sit down in shock ), I was dragged up not brought up, but I can't help but think that it all starts at home.

This a generalisation but valid all the same :
It's not PC to say it but the ones off council estates ( me too btw) can be feral man.
The ones with a silver spoon up their arse can be so smug and condescending they aren't even aware how ignorant they are.
There is very little in the way of respect for the profession (teaching, I'm a tech myself), suffice to say they get short bloody shrift from me. I go through 'em for a shortcut. The Head put me in charge of the dining Hall 3 days a week and it's like feeding time at the zoo. The wee ones appreciate me though because bullying is down to zero, at least in front of me. And the wee sprogs know they can come to me on the QT and I will hunt down the 'perps' until I get 'em. Woe be'tide then. " Make my day punk"  :chuckle:
It's like therapy mate, it's great. Righteous victimisation. Does no good in the long run though if they are going home to no standards. Shame really. What can you do.

Fly

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 01:41:12 PM »

There is very little in the way of respect for the profession (teaching, I'm a tech myself), suffice to say they get short bloody shrift from me. I go through 'em for a shortcut. The Head put me in charge of the dining Hall 3 days a week and it's like feeding time at the zoo. The wee ones appreciate me though because bullying is down to zero, at least in front of me.

:)) We need MORE teachers like you !

BTW: the E111 has been replaced by the EHIC... you should get one, and keep it in your wallet..

You never know when you might fancy a trip to St Petersburg or Latvia :)..    you will LOVE the Hermitage.... now all you need is a "guide" ;)

Offline Fo

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 02:40:25 PM »
Moby

:chuckle: Funny, man. I can think of cheaper ways of getting my ass kicked.
Fly

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Re: Healthcare for Foreigners in the FSU
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 04:29:41 PM »
Moby

:chuckle: Funny, man. I can think of cheaper ways of getting my ass kicked.

Depends on how you treat the guide  ;D

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 09:58:48 PM »
I've only been to the doctor six times in my life ( touch wood), but it would be a right pain if you did get sick. Is there no private healthcare that a body can sign up for? Is it only Blighty that has a National Health Service? 

wouldn't your travel insurance cover your health expenses? My husband and i had to use health care in 2 different cities during one trip. He had to see a doctor and few rounds of physio for his back (long flights and banya aren't good for one's back apparently, don't listen to Russian guys, they believe banya can cure everything  :chuckle:). I had to see ophthalmologist for removal of something that I got into my eye during train ride and few treatments as  well. All of it summed up to Au$100 which were covered by our travel insurance. There are plenty of private clinics, which will be happy to treat you for a payment for a fraction of what you'd pay in other countries. In Au only one visit to doctor can cost you around $50.

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 10:08:19 PM »

isn't it a norm really? We have too many self-proclaimed experts on Russia on this forum

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 12:51:16 AM »
Sparky / Chris

When you say reciprocal arrangement are you talking of the E111 jobby? Or is it something else specific to the UK/ FSU?

There is no E111 now, it is the EHIC and that makes no difference anyway, the recipricol agreement is an extra arrangement they (UK) have with Ukraine and many other countries outside the EEC. But as Moby says, best to get your EHIC card as you never know when you may need it. I only got one recently for both of us for our trip to Majorca where it will work.
Слава Україні

Offline sparky114

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 01:47:54 AM »
Sparky / Chris

There is no E111 now, it is the EHIC and that makes no difference anyway, the recipricol agreement is an extra arrangement they (UK) have with Ukraine and many other countries outside the EEC. But as Moby says, best to get your EHIC card as you never know when you may need it. I only got one recently for both of us for our trip to Majorca where it will work.

Fo,

What the guys say above is true fact :) nothing more to add other than my EHIC is in my travel documents now, well worth having, you never know when you might need it :)

Mark
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Manny

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 01:53:00 AM »
An EHIC only entitles you to government care though? And to be frank, who would want government care in the FSU given a choice?  :hidechair:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 02:24:10 AM »
An EHIC only entitles you to government care though? And to be frank, who would want government care in the FSU given a choice?  :hidechair:

:))

If only to save on hassle - I'd always get private cover for health when travelling abroad .. even EU.

BUT..

I remember when my first daughter was 3 months, my ex-wife had a very unpleasant side effect of post natal women (Haemorrhoids) .. We had travelled to the SW of France - by car -  and the private Medical company told me to get my wife to sit on an ice pack and drive her back home !! I had to politely ( not) tell the Nurse how much benefit that advice would be on a 500 mile drive back - incl an 8 hour ferry journey..

She had an operation on the French NHS.. they put me and the baby daughter in her room for an extra 12 USD a day !!

We had the old style E111 EU health cards..and could even claim most of the cost of the meds back..

Offline Fo

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 04:20:01 AM »
Thanks folks.
Belt and braces and a ticket to a banya. That should do it.
Fly

Offline mirror

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 09:09:47 PM »

I remember when my first daughter was 3 months, my ex-wife had a very unpleasant side effect of post natal women (Haemorrhoids) .. We had travelled to the SW of France - by car -  and the private Medical company told me to get my wife to sit on an ice pack and drive her back home !! I had to politely ( not) tell the Nurse how much benefit that advice would be on a 500 mile drive back - incl an 8 hour ferry journey..

This advice sounds funny realy. Now I see that our doctors are more helpfull.

Registration