Information & Chat > Visas, Legal Paperwork and Other Documentation

Validity of Russian/Ukrainian Driving Licences in Europe, Oz, UK & the US.

(1/9) > >>

A valid topic we have not covered.

A Russian driving licence is valid as a full licence in the UK, but only for up to one year from the point she becomes resident, after which she must have a UK licence to continue driving. They are not exchangeable as an EU one is so that means she should take a test within the first year.

With our visitor/fiance/FLR visa system, the actual date she becomes resident is open to debate of course. Whether it be from when she arrives on a fiance visa, when she was married, when her first post marital residence visa started is unclear. Nobody seems to check.

Right to residence and actually being physically resident are quite different. If one flits in and out if the UK, one could legitimately claim to to be here visiting but not yet resident as such prior to the last entry, for example - "Oh yes I was entitled to be resident from last year but I actually was resident from when I arrived last month."

Based on this, a Russian licence could be stretched out at least to two years in the UK with a country hopping travelling woman.

What is the situation with FSU licences in other countries?

In the Netherlands:

A drivers license is valid until 6 months after you physically entered the country. After that you have to take the drivers exam any dutch citizen should, when they want to drive around legally.

Please note: The 6 months start counting as soon as your dutch MVV is approved AND you land in the Netherlands. Leaving the country after that does not stop the timer. Graduating the drivers exam is pretty hard actually, because virtually nobody passes the exam first time. count on at least $800+ for a new license including lessons, examination and government fees.


--- Quote from: Manny on July 08, 2007, 03:51:41 PM ---What is the situation with FSU licences in other countries?

--- End quote ---

Here, it's done on a state-by-state basis.  NY, for example, recognizes any license from anywhere in the world.  Easier that way, I guess.  IIRC, Connecticut went through a period where they would not issue a CT DL or ID to any foreign national, period, permanent resident or not.  I think that has since been sorted out.



--- Quote from: B.B. on July 08, 2007, 05:23:34 PM ---Here, it's done on a state-by-state basis.

--- End quote ---

Yep, in Florida an RU D/L is absolutely worthless, and you need either an EAD (work permit) or a greencard to get a license. It's only valid as long as your immigration paperwork is, plus you must take 4 hrs of drug-alcohol class / written test / driving test.

What's worse is that you get no insurance credit for years of driving experience acquired outside the US, so in our case, the wife pays $1000 every 6 months for insurance, just like if she were a 16 year old  :o


My wife also has a minimal amount of driving experience. But we don't pay nearly that much now in Pennsylvania. If you have an insurance friend "in the business", he can help out (I know not everyone has an access to this benefit - but - if he knows your situation - he can ask for information on your wife when applying in a "clever" way).

We are moving out of state and have gotten quotes from new, completely independent insurance companies and - since we are now on a policy - no questions are asked. FWIW.


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version