The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Why the Friction Between some Russians and Ukrainians?  (Read 41374 times)

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Why the Friction Between some Russians and Ukrainians?
« Reply #375 on: September 20, 2009, 11:02:19 AM »
Your "history" that you were taught, just like the ones taught in many countries, is part truth and part propaganda.  If you weren't there living it, your idea of the history, regardless of who taught it, is no better than what someone can find and read about on their own.  It's one reason I've traveled, to talk to the actual people and see what their culture is rather than read about it.  
very good point Supra man! (although I'm more of a 300ZX fan myself )
The "history" that was taught by the Soviet school system to Mirror's (and my) generation was mostly communist propaganda and was rewritten to the specs of the Communist party ideology standart.
Some people of Mirror's (and my) generation realise this and are open ,to learning a more impartial version of history. Others can't move beyond the brainwashing that occurred during their childhood and youth years.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #376 on: September 20, 2009, 11:05:55 AM »
The "history" that was taught by the Soviet school system to Mirror's (and my) generation was mostly communist propaganda and was rewritten to the specs of the Communist party ideology standart.
Some people of Mirror's (and my) generation realise this and are open ,to learning a more impartial version of history. Others can't move beyond the brainwashing that occurred during their childhood and youth years.  

Ya got a point there Eduard.  

My wife still believes the Apollo moon landing of 1969 were filmed on a Hollywood back lot and that the US never really landed a man on the moon.  
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #377 on: September 20, 2009, 11:08:58 AM »
Msmoby, Not a boast, but some light humor along with a warning to others, that on a legimate site here, Fat Yuri will find a way to entice men into his game. Did you notice the city it came from. Most I get on this site are listed, for the city being in the USA, not the FSU. Since he she has lasted now five days, they may be changing their tatics, again.  :nod:

Now what are you and the lovely wife doing on dating sites, to receive such wonderful, and ego building letters.   :laugh:

Hi FE,

I did say "boast" or comment..  

Neither of is have been listed for three years or more, but we both get emails from Julia, Olga "looking for their soul-mate" !

It is so "normal" it is hardly worth commenting on ..  

Some advice .. buy a domain - create a global popmail account (.e. *@mydomain.com)  and use a different email address for all site registrations  and lady.. you'll soon find out who is selling your email addy ! Spend a little money on a GOOD spam filter for that domain.

We rarely get 'em now, but when they do, they are just added to the black list ..

Men who respond to such obviously silly emails that "arrive" out of the blue.. especially, if they are members of sites like this..  Hmm..

Hi Alenika, if it OK to "boast" then Thank GOD for Veta and that site which a certain "expert" member tells us is "short" on Marriage minded women  :ROFL:

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline mirror

« Reply #378 on: September 20, 2009, 11:10:42 AM »
[trolling removed]

Offline mirror

« Reply #379 on: September 20, 2009, 11:41:29 AM »
[trolling removed]

Offline Manny

« Reply #380 on: September 20, 2009, 11:44:23 AM »

Ya got a point there Eduard.  

My wife still believes the Apollo moon landing of 1969 were filmed on a Hollywood back lot and that the US never really landed a man on the moon.  

Many Russians believe the same. It does make one wonder why they never went back again and why the shadows were all wrong eh?  :-X
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline fireeater

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #381 on: September 20, 2009, 11:51:20 AM »
Took about 15 minutes to come up with these stats for three other sites

Elenas

Russian women on site 3571, new profiles 263, Ukraine women 2048, new profiles, 110.

Lucky Lovers

Russian women on site 60,397, Ukrainian women 31,630 New profiles are not in search feature, at least from outside the system, but looking from the first page there are some as dates are listed as to when they joined.  

Free Personals

Russian women 10,087, Ukrainian women 4205 Again no quick search feature for new ones but there are.  

Note - stats taken from the total number of pages for any country and multiplied by the number of profiles per page. Also noted far more Russians then Ukrainians on these sites.  

Now one could draw a conclusion between high priced sites and ones that are moderately priced for what is occurring for the numbers, in both major countries. Or does someone want to dispute actual numbers and facts from the sites themselves.    

For those other areas such as the Stans and others indicate some couturiers have a bigger preference for cert an systems, yet a quick look indicates new profiles, but are on the system you would have to manually count. But the number on these systems shows they can be found it just depends on what system you may be using. For a country like Estonia, 161 women registered, of those 34 were register this year, on one site alone. Seems high for a country not normally having women look.  tiphat        

Offline anjutka

« Reply #382 on: September 20, 2009, 11:58:12 AM »

Elenas

Russian women on site 3571, new profiles 263, Ukraine women 2048, new profiles, 110.

Lucky Lovers

Russian women on site 60,397, Ukrainian women 31,630 New profiles are not in search feature, at least from outside the system, but looking from the first page there are some as dates are listed as to when they joined.  

Free Personals

Russian women 10,087, Ukrainian women 4205 Again no quick search feature for new ones but there are.  

Note - stats taken from the total number of pages for any country and multiplied by the number of profiles per page. Also noted far more Russians then Ukrainians on these sites.  

Now one could draw a conclusion between high priced sites and ones that are moderately priced for what is occurring for the numbers, in both major countries. Or does someone want to dispute actual numbers and facts from the sites themselves.    

For those other areas such as the Stans and others indicate some couturiers have a bigger preference for cert an systems, yet a quick look indicates new profiles, but are on the system you would have to manually count. But the number on these systems shows they can be found it just depends on what system you may be using. For a country like Estonia, 161 women registered, of those 34 were register this year, on one site alone. Seems high for a country not normally having women look.  tiphat        

....could be good if you finalize this)))...could you calculate the % of women in sites by country  from women's population at each country?)))))))))))))))))))))))))) :popcorn:
1 Life is not rehearsal... 2 sorry for my english;-)) 3 Thinking only always positive way=be healthy and happy))))) 4yes, and I am 41 yo ;-))))))))))))) 5 In life there are no rules!!! 6 but he should not be older 45 yo )))) 7...? ;-)

Offline nunya

• RIP
    • First Dream
« Reply #383 on: September 20, 2009, 12:11:58 PM »

Spoken like a man with no vested financial self-interest in convincing gullable men that Ukrainian women have no other motivation for marriage than love.  Jack= zero credibility.   :ROFL:    

Spoken like a man with no vested financial self-interest in convincing gullable men that Russian women have no other motivation for marriage.  Brad = minus 1000 credibility.   :ROFL:

manny, is this reply ok?

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #384 on: September 20, 2009, 12:15:36 PM »

Elenas

Lucky Lovers

Free Personals

OK good data.  Now lets put those figures into focus with the following information -

From CIA Factbook:

Female Population Ukraine - age 15-64:  16,742,612
Female Population Russia - age 15-64:    52,142,313

Granted not all these women are in the marriage eligible universe, but I think the data relevant enough to establish my point.

This data shows Russia has 3.11 marriage-aged women for every 1 Ukrainian woman.  Wouldn't you naturally expect the Russian number on agency sites to to be 3.11x higher than Ukraine just by accounting for the population difference?  If the ratio is lower than this, then wouldn't it show that Ukrainian women are participating more that Russian women? 
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline fireeater

« Reply #385 on: September 20, 2009, 12:21:20 PM »
Msmoby,

Just kidding you about yours,  ;D

But isn't Julie married now, and has stopped looking. or is she broswing in case a change is needed.   :chuckle:

You may have missed the word "dating site" and usually they last roughly two days at the most, before deleted by the site themselves. (profile that is, letters stay till you delete them, but you can no longer respond, unless they have that alternate address on them.). They can come in by IM or by email to you on this site. Never said I was responding, just that this one has changed tactics to avoid being deleted as quickly, but I expect it will be not long before it is. But still it is nice to be loved so quickly, even by Fat Yuri.  :laugh:

I never see them here in my personal email address. So those filters work better then yours. Nor do I get pop ups either :chuckle:

Offline AkMike

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #386 on: September 20, 2009, 12:47:21 PM »
[trolling removed]

Now that's the best line she's ever posted!! :party0031:
Thomas Jefferson Quotation, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Offline fireeater

« Reply #387 on: September 20, 2009, 12:55:30 PM »
Shaky

Those figure for population is what you would expect for all sites you actually look at and checked the numbers for.

Yet I have already listed two in this thread for high price sites which show the opposite is true for that ratio. The higher number of women is from the smaller population, yet switches around for those more moderately priced ones or free ones. Which is what you should see for all sites not just certain ones. So if population is the determining factor it should  be the same. Yet those different type of sites show reversing roles. Draw a conclusion from that if you can. Not a pleasant one either is it.    

Also would seem certain countries tend to use different systems for that actually looking part. Ones that do not have the same restrictions, or that agency base is not as frequent in that country as in others, Or maybe you can draw the conclusion some are more serious then others and use systems that are more likely to produce a good result.

Now take Estonia 161 on free personals, 9 on Elena's, Lucky lovers 2051, The country is not even listed on the high price sites. So it is harder to come up with stats for some of the other countries one be interested in or not. Could be also why some areas still are not looked at more closer, hard to locate where they may be listed.  :nod:    

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #388 on: September 20, 2009, 12:58:03 PM »
Mirror, you are having a bad day, sweetie. Here is something that will make you laugh and relax: I particularly liked: Профеcсиональное заболевание программиста – плоскопопие.

Афоризмы от В.Шендеровича

- От ваших хачапури у нас пучит хари ....

- Тот, кто смеется последним ,… просто не врубился сразу.

- Жил в суровых клизматических условиях ...

- Трудно собирать выбитые зубы сломаными руками.

- Государство есть совокупность отдельно взятых чиновников, придающих личной выгоде статус общественных интересов.

- Знаете, что такое 'изумительный лифчик '? Вы его снимаете и изумляетесь 'а где же груди!?'

- Противозачаточная внешность.

- Стучитесь! И вас откопают.

- В каждом человеке, даже в самом плохом, можно найти что -то хорошее. Для   этого его нужно как следует обыскать... (из  инструкции для милиционеров дежурных частей ОВД).

- Возможности медицины беспредельны. Ограничены возможности пациентов.

- Переименовать - доберман в злобендог.

- Семинар, посвященный проблемам путешествия во времени, будет проведен две недели назад.

- Твоя теща болтает так, как будто у нее два языка.   - Да нет, один, но раздвоенный.

- Может, тебе и ключ от квартиры, где девки лежат?

- Во время пьянки мы чувствуем себя личностью. Наутро - организмом.

- Что ж это за пьянка, если на следующий день не стыдно?

- Профеcсиональное заболевание программиста – плоскопопие.

- Я такие сумки с базара ношу - лошади оборачиваются!

- Долг утюгом страшен.

- Обдувало легким матерком...

- Ищу тебя под макияжем.

- СЛЕДИ ЗА БАЗАРОМ , МАРКЕТОЛОГ!

- Предсказамус настрадал нам будущее.

- Знаток флиртует на пляже с самой бледнокожей девушкой - у неё весь отпуск ещё впереди.
 - Вестерн - фильм, в котором задумываются только лошади.
 - Ассортимент - это несколько разных милиционеров.
 - 'От зарплаты до рассвета '.

Offline 2tallbill

Kumbaya?
« Reply #389 on: September 20, 2009, 02:56:10 PM »
Can't we have a Kumbaya agreement?

Here is my proposal

Mirror agrees not to make rude blanket statements about Ukrainian women or
Ukrainians in general and if a Ukrainian woman comes to the forum Mirror agrees
either to say something nice or to leave her alone.

The guys who were offended by her previous statements agree to leave Mirror
alone and go out of their way not to pick on her, or try to draw her into a scrap. 

Why should anyone agree to this?
1. I am tired of reading insulting things about ALL Ukrainians
2. I am also tired of the constant bickering.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline AkMike

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #390 on: September 20, 2009, 03:26:22 PM »
I personally think that there's a better chance of the KKK reguglarly supporting the NAACP than this leopard changing her spots.
Thomas Jefferson Quotation, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Offline Wild Orchid

Re: Kumbaya?
« Reply #391 on: September 20, 2009, 07:52:29 PM »
if a Ukrainian woman comes to the forum Mirror agrees

why do you always accuse Mirror? Barbie is from Ukraine and Mirror never been rude to her personally because there was no reason. They had their disagreement when they talked about UW, but they have their opinions that didn't match. What is wrong with that?

There were other UW that Mirror talked to without problems what so ever.

Offline 2tallbill

Re: Kumbaya?
« Reply #392 on: September 20, 2009, 08:32:47 PM »
if a Ukrainian woman comes to the forum Mirror agrees

why do you always accuse Mirror? Barbie is from Ukraine and Mirror never been rude to her personally because there was no reason. They had their disagreement when they talked about UW, but they have their opinions that didn't match. What is wrong with that?

There were other UW that Mirror talked to without problems what so ever.

WO very recently I invited an RW here from MySpace who never said one single
word to Mirror she was Russian but Mirror "thought" she was Ukrainian and
was rude to her.

I was making a suggestion trying solve a problem and not simply to stir it up again.
If you have a better solution I would like to hear it. Mirror makes a bunch of
interesting posts about all kinds of things from travel to cooking, camping, Russian
life etc.

Udachi

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Halo

« Reply #393 on: September 20, 2009, 10:14:52 PM »
I wonder who was teaching you while you were getting your degree, nor Soviet professors?

I wasn't educated by Soviet professors, thank God.  Such a notion, particularly in relation to history or philosophy is an oxymoron.

Remember, the very same "intellectuals" who now claim famines were natural phenomena, rather than planned, were denying any deaths occured less than 2 decades ago.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Halo

« Reply #394 on: September 20, 2009, 10:22:18 PM »
It is funny to read questions to Mirror like "how many Ukrs did you meet in your life?" or something like that.  ;D I have a chance to live with them next and I know what is it Ukr better than you (visitors) know. If you will ask me about Kazakstan,Uzbekistan,Moldova,Baltic republics...I will tell you not less about people and a life there also. I know a hystory of all these countryes and folks and let me hope that you know from where I know it.

Did you learn about them attending the Высшую партийную школу?
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #395 on: September 20, 2009, 10:30:31 PM »
I wonder who was teaching you while you were getting your degree, nor Soviet professors?

I wasn't educated by Soviet professors, thank God.  Such a notion, particularly in relation to history or philosophy is an oxymoron.

Remember, the very same "intellectuals" who now claim famines were natural phenomena, rather than planned, were denying any deaths occured less than 2 decades ago.

How fascinating! who are your parents? Did they help Germans to fight Russians? That is how happened to be born in the west?  ::)

Offline Halo

« Reply #396 on: September 20, 2009, 10:32:21 PM »

How fascinating! who are your parents? Did they help Germans to fight Russians? That is how happened to be born in the west?  ::)

My Grandfather was fighting the Germans while your parents were still celebrating the Molotov-Ribbentrop Treaty.

Offline Halo

« Reply #397 on: September 20, 2009, 10:38:13 PM »
I will say, I agree with mirror on the tendency of Ukrainian politicians to blame Russia for their problems.  It is unreasonable, and it is because they are all ineffectual third rate minds, interested only in lining their own pockets.

Where mirror is mistaken is in assuming the Ukrainian people think this way about Russians as well.  They don't.  The know their politicians are criminals with no interest in bettering the lives of the populace.

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #398 on: September 20, 2009, 10:39:08 PM »

My ancestors have been in the West since the 18th century.  My Grandfather was fighting the Germans while your parents were still celebrating the Molotov-Ribbentrop treaty.

My grandfather came from WWII on 30.12.1945, he was fighting Germans for over 4 years and after victory over them was relocated to Far East to fight with Japanese. Can you grandfather say the same? Remind me when Americans joined the war and how much they participated..   ::)

My parents were too young to celebrate or know anything about Molotov-Ribbentrop agreement.

If your ancestors left Ukraine in 18-th century why are you so aggressive towards Russian people? What did they do to you or your family?

Some very strange people on this forum  :-\

Offline Halo

« Reply #399 on: September 20, 2009, 10:42:41 PM »

My ancestors have been in the West since the 18th century.  My Grandfather was fighting the Germans while your parents were still celebrating the Molotov-Ribbentrop treaty.

My grandfather came from WWII on 30.12.1945, he was fighting Germans for over 4 years and after victory over them was relocated to Far East to fight with Japanese. Can you grandfather say the same? Remind me when Americans joined the war and how much they participated..   ::)

My parents were too young to celebrate or know anything about Molotov-Ribbentrop agreement.

If your ancestors left Ukraine in 18-th century why are you so aggressive towards Russian people? What did they do to you or your family?

Who said I was Ukrainian?  I am of mixed ancestry.  Incidentally, many Ukrainians left Ukraine in the 19th century.

I'm not aggressive toward Russian people.  I sleep with one every night.  Can you say the same?

My Grandfather was fighting in 1939, and came home in 1945.  You should read a little history.

Some very strange people on this forum  :-\

Yes, I agree.  Such as people with limited education, and clearly no knowledge of history, or the backgrounds of others, who for some reason believe they are omniscient. ::)