The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Odessa - Одеса - Одесса - Odesa - Οδησσός - אדעס  (Read 33315 times)

Offline solipsistic

I can't believe there is no thread in this forum about Odessa for Ukraine cities whereas totally obscure ones figure in good place  :sick0012:. Have I overlooked something or what?
errare humanum est perseverare diabolicum

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
odessa again
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 02:09:32 PM »
Odessa (Ukrainian: Одеса; Russian: Одесса)

Odessa is a city of great importance to the region and over the centuries has belong to countries and cultures other than Ukraine and Russia. It is known in various languages...Romanian: Odesa; Greek: Οδησσός; Yiddish: אדעס and is the administrative center of the Odessa Oblast (province) located in southern Ukraine. The city is a major seaport located on the shore of the Black Sea and the fourth largest city in Ukraine with a population of 1,029,000.

Odessa was founded by Ottoman vassal, Khadjibey, the Khan of Crimea (Hacibey in modern Turkish spelling) (also known in English as Kocibey) in 1240 and named after him. It passed into the domain of the Ottoman sultân in 1529 and remained in Ottoman hands until the Ottoman Empire's defeat in the Russo-Turkish War of 1798. The Russians renamed the city Odessa in 1794. From 1819–1858 Odessa was a free port. During the Soviet period it was the most important port of trade in the Soviet Union and a Soviet naval base. On January 1, 2000 the Quarantine Pier of Odessa trade sea port was declared a free port and free economic zone for a term of 25 years.

Ship passenger terminal with hotel.

"Potemkinskaya"

There are 192 of them, and built in 1837, Potemkin Steps are the best place to view the busy harbors and the bay. The famous monument to Duke de Richelieu overlooks steps of 142m length. Looking down from the top, the steps themselves become invisible, only the landings can be seen. On either side of the stairs there is a stone parapet and the two appear to run parallel.

This, however, is an optical illusion, because in reality the width of the stairs of the bottom flight is double that of the top flight. At the bottom of the steps is the city’s brand new passenger ship terminal and convention center.

In the 19th century Odessa was the fourth largest city of Imperial Russia, after Moscow, Saint Petersburg, and Warsaw. Its historical architecture has a style more Mediterranean than Russian, having been heavily influenced by French and Italian styles.

Atlantis statue.

Odessa is a warm water port, but militarily it is of limited value. Turkey's control of the Dardanelles and Bosphorus has enabled NATO to control water traffic between Odessa and the Mediterranean Sea. The city of Odessa hosts two important ports: Odessa itself and Yuzhny (also an internationally important oil terminal), situated in the city's suburbs. Another important port, Illichivs'k (or Ilyichyovsk), is located in the same oblast, to the south-west of Odessa.

Jewish war memorial.

The city became the home of a large Jewish community during the 19th century, and by 1897 Jews were estimated to comprise some 37% of the population. They were, however, repeatedly subjected to severe persecution. Pogroms were carried out in 1821, 1859, 1871, 1881, and 1905. Many Odessan Jews fled abroad, particularly to Palestine after 1882, and the city became an important base of support for Zionism.

The Colonade.

Birthday of the city.

Located 290 miles south of Kiev, Odessa is famed for its balmy climate which makes it a prime vacation spot for Ukrainians as well as a popular port of call for cruise ships plying the Black Sea. Locals and visitors alike crowd the beaches north of the city center, where thongs and Speedos are the norm - even for those who should know better. Beach-side cafes and discos are back to back with stands selling beer, ice cream and dried fish.

Offline mendeleyev

odessa again
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 02:10:22 PM »
Commercial port.

Sport stadium.

Deribasovskaya Street is the very heart of Odessa. What lends Deribasovskaya its unique character is magnificent architecture, crowds of people leisurely sitting on terraces of numerous cafes and restaurants, perfect cobblestones, no vehicle traffic and big shady linden trees. This special character has survived even through the Soviet times when conforming Soviet canons was highly recommended.

Deribasovskaya leads to the City Gardens with its fountain, old summerhouse and sculpture of lion and lioness. City Gardens were laid out shortly after the foundation of Odessa and were its first park. The Souvenir Market with a crowd of artists and craftsmen demonstrating their works is situated there. Prices are really low, and some items are gorgeous. Bargains are common. Don't miss it if you want to get originally Odessan souvenirs.

Monument to millions starved by Stalin.

"Mayak" means Lighthouse.

The cobblestone and tall acacia trees on Frantsuzsky Boulevard are most reminiscent of Old Odessa. This place was home to Odessa’s wealthy merchants in old days. Now the Boulevard is one of the most picturesque resort districts in Odessa. The cable car rides from the Boulevard down to the Lanzheron Beach. The steep hill parts the Frantsuzsky Boulevard from 3 beaches beneath. Paths and stairs lead downhill to the Sea through a green zone closed to vehicle traffic. It is a favorite sight for picnics.

Monument to unknown sailors.

Outdoor shopping.

Privoz is one of the biggest farmers' markets in the world and rivals those in Istanbul and Mexico City.

ila_rendered Odessa train station.

Offline mendeleyev

odessa again
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:10:35 PM »
Arcadia is the most developed beach in Odessa. It looks gorgeous in summer - plenty of flowers, shady trees, numerous restaurants and cafes with tidy sea view terraces. Being a little bit pricey, they are really good for drinks and snacks.
Besides swimming and sunbathing, you can rent paddleboats, rowboats and other sailing vehicles for moderate prices.

If you are taking kids, check out Tropicano Children World – probably, they would like it. There are several outdoor nightclubs by the beach in Arcadia.

Panteleymonovsky Monastery

Saint Nicolai icon bell

Victory day!

Offline Leo512

• Meмber
odessa again
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 02:13:55 PM »
Here is my youtube movie i made of ODessa opera house

Offline mendeleyev

Leo, very nice.  :)

We have moved the discussion of Odessa and scammers to the scam room. Thanks.

Another video available on the Internet about Odessa is A Foreign Affair tour video.

Offline Donhollio

ITIKA nightclub in Arkadia
 The many of clubs in Arkadia are open air with daytime views of the Black sea. Free enterprise reigns,and the clubs will go until dawn as long as the patrons are still drinking and dancing.

Monument near 5th station

One of the many beaches

More sulptures in the tourist area . In the background is a museum.

Offline berettakid

• Spouses Country: uk
  • Trips: 5-10
Odessa June 2010
ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Offline Vinnvinny

Re: Odessa - Одеса - Одесса - Odesa - Οδησσός - אדעס
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 06:57:39 AM »
For those looking for a cheap apartment in Odessa I have found this for only $28.63c a night.

http://www.dobovo.com/apartment-odessa-3-nekrasova-OD2853.en.html?in=2012-02-17&out=2012-02-20

As a bonus it comes with 5 beds '(2 +2 +1 = *snip* normal frog sofa, sofa-book + double bed)' and as we all know, *snip* normal frog sofa's and sofa-book's are hard to come by these days.  :reading:

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 07:22:34 AM »
For those looking for a cheap apartment in Odessa I have found this for only $28.63c a night.

http://www.dobovo.com/apartment-odessa-3-nekrasova-OD2853.en.html?in=2012-02-17&out=2012-02-20

As a bonus it comes with 5 beds '(2 +2 +1 = *snip* normal frog sofa, sofa-book + double bed)' and as we all know, *snip* normal frog sofa's and sofa-book's are hard to come by these days.  :reading:

It looks just like one I rented many years ago in Russia, even down to the same furniture and the *snip* frog thingy  :laugh:
Слава Україні

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 08:00:11 AM »
It looks just like one I rented many years ago in Russia, even down to the same furniture and the *snip* frog thingy  :laugh:

Well I never, it's amazing what you can learn here. I always thought *snip* frog sofas were exclusive to Ukraine. :o

Offline censu

• Fortune favors the bold!
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
I'm planning my first trip to Ukraine in September. I think 5 days in Odessa and 5 days in Kherson. Would appreciate tips/websites/#'s for apartments in both places. Main criteria is safety of my stuff when I'm not there, proximity to transportation (and airport in Odessa), WiFi (or just internet in general).

Best places to exchange money? Thoughts on using dollars? (make me a target maybe?)

Also suggestions on travel from Odessa to Kherson.

Lastly, places to see/visit and any decent agencies to start making contacts before I go.

Kevin, I'll be stopping in at KhersonGirls when I'm there. Your staff has always been very nice, helpful and professional. I almost feel like I know them.

Thanks

C

Offline Larry

I'm planning my first trip to Ukraine in September. I think 5 days in Odessa and 5 days in Kherson. Would appreciate tips/websites/#'s for apartments in both places.

I had good luck with these people getting a great apartment in Odessa at high season:

http://ukrainetour.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75&Itemid=170

HounddaddyLee recommended them.  They seem to rent in other cities as well. Olga (Maslova?) provided amazing service.

Offline mendeleyev

Best places to exchange money? Thoughts on using dollars? (make me a target maybe?)

In general you'll find Ukraine to be more modern than Uzbekistan, including in banking and ATM conveniences. You won't be able to pay for much in dollars so best to use and ATM and have it spit out the local currency. As usual, alert your bank prior to the trip and carry some extra cash for exchange at a bank when your bank screws up and forgets that you already alerted them about traveling.

Offline censu

Yeah I learned the hard way with my bank a few years back, going to that little known country Canada! Ever since then I do exactly as you suggest, put them on alert and take cash.

I also have about $200 of Rubles from Moscow in 2010, should I leave those here or take with?

Thanks

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
[ Specified attachment is not available ]
I also have about $200 of Rubles from Moscow in 2010, should I leave those here or take with?

You can exchange rubles in Odessa. Couple more pics.

Itaka from the Sea

Arcadia at sunrise

Offline sashathecat

And a link to the famous one walled building so you can figure out the optical illusion.

http://www.360cities.net/image/one-wall-building#23.75,-28.85,70.0

Offline censu

That is really cool. Is that in Odessa? I love photography and would love to get some pics of that myself.

Offline mendeleyev

Good question. If you think that you'll never get back inside Russia, either keep as souvenirs or take them along to exchange. The exchange rate in Ukraine should be better than an American bank. If you plan on visiting Russia again, you might consider holding onto them as a way to have a bit of local currency upon landing.

Offline sashathecat

That is really cool. Is that in Odessa? I love photography and would love to get some pics of that myself.

Yea, all pics from Odessa. One walled building is close to the port and the Potemkin Stairs if I recall correctly.

Offline mendeleyev

Sasha, nice photos!

Offline JayH

• Watched
I'm planning my first trip to Ukraine in September. I think 5 days in Odessa and 5 days in Kherson. Would appreciate tips/websites/#'s for apartments in both places. Main criteria is safety of my stuff when I'm not there, proximity to transportation (and airport in Odessa), WiFi (or just internet in general).

Lastly, places to see/visit and any decent agencies to start making contacts before I go.

Kevin, I'll be stopping in at KhersonGirls when I'm there. Your staff has always been very nice, helpful and professional. I almost feel like I know them.

Thanks

C
Odessa is big city and bustling.Kherson is nice city and at a much slower pace.
There is thread here somewhere on travel between the two .Taxi is not cheap. bus is-- but more difficult.  Your credit cards should work and you will find accepted at many places.Banks everywhere will exchange USD and Eu( & Rubles)  anytime.Other currencies can be a pia to exchange and will be at limited number of places.
Check with your bank if you can draw cash-- it is easy for me to do this with various cards but I have noted on forum that different issuing banks in different countries  each have their own policy on this.
As Mende said--Ukraine is quite civilised!! but all the normal security issues arise. If you can avoid looking like a tourist as much as possible that helps !

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
I have a picture of that wall, actually two. Very cool move 2 feet and it changes.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline HoundDaddyLee

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 04:59:06 PM »

Thanks

C
Odessa is big city and bustling.Kherson is nice city and at a much slower pace.
There is thread here somewhere on travel between the two .Taxi is not cheap. bus is-- but more difficult.  Your credit cards should work and you will find accepted at many places.Banks everywhere will exchange USD and Eu( & Rubles)  anytime.Other currencies can be a pia to exchange and will be at limited number of places.
Check with your bank if you can draw cash-- it is easy for me to do this with various cards but I have noted on forum that different issuing banks in different countries  each have their own policy on this.
As Mende said--Ukraine is quite civilised!! but all the normal security issues arise. If you can avoid looking like a tourist as much as possible that helps !

If you have HSBC as your bank, you cannot use your ATM card anywhere in Ukraine. I found this out last March. I have since changed banks because of this. But you need to let your bank know you will be traveling, including any cities you are flying through in case you need to get local cash.

Hope you have a great trip. I will be there in late September (Odessa and Nikolayev).

Lee

Offline Larry

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 09:20:41 AM »
Here is one of a number of interesting photos of Odessa.  They were made by taking a photograph taken during the war and one taken now, of the same place, then merging the two.  It provides an interesting juxtaposition of the city in 1944 and 2012:

ila_rendered

Lots more at this link:

http://englishrussia.com/2012/10/15/when-two-epochs-are-connected/#more-112070

Registration