The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: St Petersburg  (Read 4051 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
St Petersburg
« on: June 17, 2007, 11:15:12 PM »
If you have a little time, one of the best collections of St Petersburg photos can be found here at this link.  It is a huge and very nice collection.

http://www.enlight.ru/camera/index_e.htm

Offline mendeleyev

Re: St Petersburg
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 09:33:50 PM »
Just outside St Petersburg is Catherine's Palace, also known as the Tsar's Summer Palace.  It is also where Pushkin and his wife Nataly lived (in a home on palace grounds) and wrote before his banishment to Siberia.

A grand and very beautiful palace, perhaps one of the most famous rooms is the AMBER ROOM.  It was taken apart panel by panel by the Nazi SS and moved back toward Germany but it's whereabouts are still unknown.

Not long ago this breathtakingly beautiful room was re-created at a cost of $30 million dollars to exact specifications of the original.

Photo link:  http://spbmos.homestead.com/AmberRoom.html

Catherine's palace photo link:  http://spbmos.homestead.com/Pushkin.html

Offline Olga

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »
The wonderful nights of Saint Petersburg

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 11:50:06 PM »
Wow Olga, thank you for this addition!  I'll be in big trouble at home for saying this, but St Petersburg is perhaps the most beautiful Russian city in my mind.  It is so grand and so elegant.  It is a window to Europe, just as Peter I imagined, yet it is still Russian enough to capture the flavour and colour of Holy mother Russia.

Offline anjutka

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 03:56:55 PM »
Super video! :)
1 Life is not rehearsal... 2 sorry for my english;-)) 3 Thinking only always positive way=be healthy and happy))))) 4yes, and I am 41 yo ;-))))))))))))) 5 In life there are no rules!!! 6 but he should not be older 45 yo )))) 7...? ;-)

Offline virgo1

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 01:01:17 PM »
This is excellent work Olga! the city should pay you :) This time next week I will land in St Petersburg, this has certainly wet my appetite for dicovering this beautiful city.