The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Estonia: Tallinn  (Read 35074 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Estonia: Tallinn
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 06:31:25 AM »
Something I saw in Tallinn a few days ago that demonstrates how well some people are doing in the FSU now.  :thumbsup:

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 06:45:15 AM »
Something I saw in Tallinn a few days ago that demonstrates how well some people are doing in the FSU now. 

It never ceases to amaze me how many Bentley's, Roller's and other £150k+ cars I see in Ukraine and this isn't just limited to Kiev and Odessa.

I'm doing something wrong somewhere.  :GRRRR:

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 07:26:08 AM »
  Manny you didn't run up beside it and get your photo taken?  You know, when in the FSU...  :P

Vinny I don't think your doing anything wrong financially. Any guy who can pop into Ukraine on weekends, or  take mini vacations a few times a month there is doing alright moneywise in my books. :nod:

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 09:05:17 AM »
Something I saw in Tallinn a few days ago that demonstrates how well some people are doing in the FSU now. 

It never ceases to amaze me how many Bentley's, Roller's and other £150k+ cars I see in Ukraine and this isn't just limited to Kiev and Odessa.

Relax. You dont pay £150k for a 'hot' car.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 09:15:59 AM »

Yes I see them quite regularly in the most unusual places too. But helicopters are now the preferred mode of transport, see my soon to be posted thread on Bukovel.
Слава Україні

Offline Manny

Re: Pictures of Tallinn, Estonia.
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 10:21:04 AM »
Ladies here are just naturally beautiful!

(Attachment Link)

I would suggest this one is closer to the mark than the one Mendy posted.

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline lukeyboy

• Spouses Country: Eastern Europe/FSU
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 08:34:15 AM »
Hey,

This is my first post, I know I should maybe post in the introductions first but never mind - I've seen the pic manny has posted and had to post the comical 1 I have found previously!! Don't take it too seriously, it's only light hearted after all.

I've been to Estonia 3 times, all within a 6 month period in 2011. What a beautiful place, so many nice buildings and architecture...not to mention the beautiful young women there who are out of this world.

Standard of English, especially amongst the younger people is very very good, some having lived in the UK for a year or 2 but many just through school and the Media I guess.

People are so friendly - OK being in a group of well dressed/groomed young guys from England we did stand out, especially to a few undesirable Russian & Estonian guys who only wanted to ponce a few cigarettes and test the water with us....nothing to really worry about I guess.

Met some great women out there in the streets, in bars and in clubs. Only problem we found was that being English did more harm than good with the women - most were quite young and loved talking to us about London and admiring our accents but due to Stag parties over there shouting and screaming all sort of obscenities we are just known for being drunken idiots on the whole and it's hard to persuade otherwise.....especially when drunk  :thumbsup:

On my last visit we travelled by train from Tallinn to Tartu to visit some friends I'd met on a previous visit - the train stopped about 20 or so times on the 3+ hour train journey but the young women getting on and off were nothing short of breathtaking - No make-up, just natural beauty.

All in all I met some great people in Tallinn & Tartu and had a good time. If you've never visited the FSU I can't think of a better place to start.

Offline Manny

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 10:13:32 AM »
Welcome Lukey. Great picture add on.  :chuckle:

Offline leeholsen

• Houston-NASA, the oil biz+too much country+western
    • Loveland Ski Area
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2012, 02:08:07 PM »

yes, thanks lukey !

i have developed an interest in estonia after learning about their economic system; then dated this girl from estonia in Dallas last year; so i'm fairly sold on going there now.

any info is appreciated.
Eat 'em up Houston Cougars !

Offline lukeyboy

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 04:02:51 PM »

yes, thanks lukey !

i have developed an interest in estonia after learning about their economic system; then dated this girl from estonia in Dallas last year; so i'm fairly sold on going there now.

any info is appreciated.

What do you want to know? Lot's of beautiful girls - very young mind, 16 to early twenties from what we found. ALL SINGLE and happy to mingle!!!

As it's a small country in terms of population with 1.4 million people (spread over land the size of Republic of Ireland) combined with the fact it's only been free market for 20 years the economy there is very small, though albeit on the up. There aren't many jobs there unless you are very skilled and even if you are wages are much higher elsewhere so most young people seem to think 'let's travel and have a good time than work here for a couple of hundred euro's a month'

Therefore most young people do tend to move abroad, either into EU, US or Australia for travelling and work experience purposes. That may explain why so many of them are  very young as they are still at college/University. This is the conclusion I have made from speaking to many people and friends I have that live there.

I would AVOID the main square in Tallinn for food and drinking. It's was very tourist trap-esque if that makes sense, a bit like the red light district in Amsterdam. we went there 1 night and was very disappointed by the service - all 3 dished came out 5+ minutes apart and prices were similar to Western Europe (London Amsterdam etc). We didn't pay for the food but we didn't contemplate going back there. Get you in get you out type of affair - never going to see you again so who cares. Like with most cities if you look 'just outside' the inner centre things are more suited for the locals and offer better value.

The next day we found a great place outside about 3 minute walk outside the old town called 'Vapiannos' http://www.vapiano.de/frame.php?lang=ee# they're some sort of chain throughout Europe I believe, though I can honestly say Id never heard or seen of it before or since. They do freshly cooked pizza/pasta/salads all made right in front of you. You also get a swipe card to pay your bill as you leave and they hand you a remote fob so when your pizza is ready it flashes and vibrates then you head to the counter :) As you can tell I was very impressed with the place, think I've eaten there 4 times in about 5 days in Tallinn and will defo go back again. The food is simple but yet to die for!  I'm sure there are many other great places to eat, get recommendations from people but defo check this out if you go Tallinn and take any of my advice make sure it is this :)

The girls that work in there are beautiful and very friendly - but this is a given anywhere in Estonia to be honest. I'm young, only 26 (relatively) good looking with a London accent so the girls took an interest in me but I think it is their nature. If you're an outsider they will try to help you and be friendly but they have met 1000's of drunken tourists so don't think they will fall at your feet no matter how good looking you are.

I will be going this summer for sure to party and get away from it all, possibly even on my own for a day or 2 as I can fly there return for under $100 if pre booked - guessing as you're a septic tank you don't have that privilege it may be well worth you considering a tour of the Baltic states while you are over there. It's worth noting that you can travel from Tallinn to Tartu (second biggest city in Estonia) by bus for about 10 euros, I think you can then travel on to Riga (capital of Latvia) again for about 10 - 15 euros. Nice buses with free wifi too.

If you go to Tartu  there are some good clubs, I went to 'Club Tallinn' which was wall to wall with UBER honeys - way more so than anywhere in Tallinn, though apparently according to my local friends they claim that is the club where ugly people go and Club Illusion is the best place to be.....eitherway if you want eye candy in you're in Tartu it's a no brainer to check these places out.

Another place worth going to if in Tartu is http://www.facebook.com/6teistkannu, especially as it's owned by a yank too :) It looks very much what I think an American diner looks like (from the movies that is, I've never gone state side), on Sundays they have drum karaoke and local lager Saku is 1 Euro a .5L (or pint as us Brits call it). Nice and relaxed and very 'non-touristy' place to meet locals who will welcome you.

This hotel is worth checking out if you're on a budget http://hotell.khk.ee/eng/general but not if you want to be right in the centre, either way prices here aren't that steep if you book in advance and use something like expedia or booking.com. They have some of the college girls working the reception desk as it's built right next to the newly built school/college. When I stayed there I went to go ask for an Iron for my room......there was this 5'10 blonde size 6, no older than 18/19 beautiful girl there just smiling at me, I thought I had died, she was smoking hot and so modest with it too!!

Taxi's here are cheap and better English speaking drivers here than I found in Tallinn. There is a large Chinese restaurant in the centre of Tartu 'Tsink Plekk Pang', they also do Indian cuisine but as a connoisseur of Indian food I opted for the Chinese as not to be disappointed (which I wasn't). 

Riga is nice though I only was there for about 5 hours or so - they have a chain of eateries there, not sure of the name but they are like buffet style with some really nice food and beers too, I found Latvia to be considerably cheaper than Estonia too. BTW Latvia still uses the Lat instead of the Euro but exchange rates are pretty fair in all the major banks in Estonia/Latvia so have no worries about changing currencies up - JUST MAKE SURE YOU TAKE FRESH CRISP NOTES...anything deemed not perfect will be paid out at a lower rate than originally advertised.

Climb the cathedral in Riga if you go, the view from up there is magnificent.

Maybe this is a bit too much info Lee?  I'm sure others will agree with me that considering that Estonia is not on your step like it is for me then you would be mad to just go there and there alone.. Go to the cities but go off the beaten track too, you'll see and meet some great people!

Offline Manny

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2012, 04:24:59 PM »
Maybe this is a bit too much info Lee? 

No such thing as too much info here.  :)

I have been going to Estonia since 98 and we have had a place there the last few years. For me, it is literally a second home now. We have other Estonian residents on the forum too.

I agree with not eating in Old Town Square. Next time you are there, and if you like steak, try this place: http://argentiina.ee/  UK prices but awesome meat!  :nod:

Offline lukeyboy

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 11:01:41 AM »

I have been going to Estonia since 98 and we have had a place there the last few years. For me, it is literally a second home now. We have other Estonian residents on the forum too.

I agree with not eating in Old Town Square. Next time you are there, and if you like steak, try this place: http://argentiina.ee/  UK prices but awesome meat!  :nod:

I love steak and yes it looks like a nice place. Surprisingly the menu is cheaper than the rubbish found in the main square so il defo be sure to check it out. Il have the biggest steak they do  :dh:

I've toyed with the idea of buying an old farm building/old run down house out there with lots of land surrounding it for future building. I think I need to find an Estonian wife first to justify doing this but I hear planning regulations are pretty relaxed there for 2 floors and under.

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 02:07:03 PM »

Yup it's a good one, I can agree :)

Offline VIP

• Spouses Country: Eastern Europe
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2012, 10:27:03 PM »
Beautiful country, Beautiful people!
And the blond singer (Lenna Kuurmaa) is so my type.  ;D

Keeping the Beauty of Fatherland

Keeping the beauty of fatherland.
Fighting against the enemy:
Pay attention, pay attention,
Pay attention, pay attention!

If you believe in yourself,
In opinions of the wise,
In shoulders of the strong,
In mightiness of the elders,
In nimbleness of young men,
In sisters, brothers,
Above all in yourself,
Then you get better life.

If you believe the talk of the wolf,
Fear the yelps of the dogs,
Hear the curses of the masters,
Complains of the underlings,
Bitings of the greedy,
Admonishments of the low ones,
Scolds of the blind,
Then you get nothing.

If you sink into lies,
Stooping into dreams,
On all fours under the order,
Bowing under the rubble,
Then you get fleas in groin,
Itches in your heart,
Halters on your head, bones in your stomach,
Then you go to hell.

If you believe in yourself,
Then you believe in the folk,
In the farms, in the wiseness,
In the teaching, in the rights,
In the birch grove of home place,
In the swallow by the clouds,
Then you get mighty spirit,
Then you get better life.

Gives me chill bumps... :thumbsup:

Offline VIP

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2012, 10:38:23 PM »

Offline VIP

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2012, 10:45:46 PM »
Cool! I finally found it without the lost sound at the end.  ;D
:thumbsup:

Offline missAmeno

• Spouses Country: ukraine
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2012, 12:43:26 AM »
Beautiful country, Beautiful people!

:thumbsup:

Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, ideals, thoughts, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.

Offline JL

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2013, 05:56:52 PM »
wow Estonia looks incredible. I had no idea. Another interesting place to put on my list.

Thanks for the pictures guys.

Offline Manny

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2014, 04:49:21 AM »
There is a bit of fervent nationalism going on in Estonia at the moment as today is Restoration of Independence Day. People are milling about waving flags, and just in case you forget, there is a large one pinned to a building in the main square.

Offline Manny

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2014, 04:57:38 AM »
Not much action at the mirror-windowed Russian embassy though. Apart from tourists photographing it.

Away from the flag wavers and tourists though, some things look just as they always have here.

This is new since I was last here. A memorial to Boris Yeltsin.

Offline Manny

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2014, 08:31:59 AM »
A couple more I took today while mooching about.

On what is now called Freedom Square.

ila_rendered

Offline Manny

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2014, 08:33:21 AM »
Two directions from the top of the Town Hall tower (I was never sure where people took these particular shots from - now I am. One must climb 40m up the bell tower).