The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Daily Mail article on Mail Order Brides Featuring the Russian Bride Guide  (Read 18855 times)

Offline alenika

Interesting article. Curious who are those Paul Bracchi and Helen Croydon and where they got the info, if not involved themselves.
I like comments. The last one there:

why oh why do middle aged lonely men continue to delude themselves that beautiful 20 year olds REALLy find them attractive !!

- annmarie lewis, manchester uk,

I close eyes to see better

Offline JazzyClassic

• Moscow-UK
Oh i was about to post that article as well, and isn't somebody's book there being promoted ?:))

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
They didn't actually contact me before writing that article. Had they have done, the content might well have been different.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
They didn't actually contact me before writing that article. Had they have done, the content might well have been different.

Well with 70,000 Brits and Gawd knows how many Colonists hitting the streets in Ukraine every "bride season" - any publicity for the book is better than no publicity!

Article sure takes the blush of the MOB rose in Odessa - one girl comes there every year to "See what she can get"

Classic - well at least they tell it like it is regarding the tours biz and Black Sea MOBs.

AnastasiaWeb an open,  transparent and honest business  :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member

I left a comment under my "Shakespear" alias.  Let me know if it passes muster of their screeners. 

You knew I was an "independed contractor" for Anastasia-web back in 1998-1999 didn't you?  I know all their dirt.
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline Manny

My wife finds it hilarious her picture is in the Daily Mail. Being in Estonia now, we didn't see it until this topic. I hope it made the paper edition too.

The way I see it, Daily Mail readers are not usually behind the door (it is one of our biggest slightly right leaning daily national papers that folks who can construct a sentence tend to read). They will use the article to google further and most likely wind up here eventually.

I left a comment too, we will see if it passes moderation.

I reckon any publicity is good publicity.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Paul

"There are now more than 100 introduction agencies in Odessa alone; a city which attracts up to 70,000 Britons every year."

LMAO! That doesn't include Americans, Canadians, Australians, and everyone else,.. yeah, good luck finding your other half in Ukraine  :chuckle:

Offline Manny

Does one of the Brits here have this article in paper copy? Can you tell me if the book cover is in the paper edition too? If so, can someone PM me please?

Offline WestCoast

Does one of the Brits here have this article in paper copy? Can you tell me if the book cover is in the paper edition too? If so, can someone PM me please?

Manny how many extra sales of your book do you think that this article will generate?  After all there are a lot of lonely, rich men on the political right.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline rhayes026

"There are now more than 100 introduction agencies in Odessa alone; a city which attracts up to 70,000 Britons every year."

LMAO! That doesn't include Americans, Canadians, Australians, and everyone else,.. yeah, good luck finding your other half in Ukraine  :chuckle:

Paul! Do not make me feel bad, the 49 yo I like is in Dnepr Ukraine. This makes me wonder if I should write her. :(  ( Just pulling your leg Paul about feeling bad ).

Manny, they should of read your book instead of just putting it there. They could comment over the good advice it has and really promote it. But I guess it is what someone else said, any publicity....
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Donhollio

Some wear hotpants. Others the tiniest of mini-dresses. With names like Elanor, Olexandra, and Katerin, all are in full warpaint, teetering on vertigo-inducing heels.
More than 50 young women - at least three for every middle-aged man in the room - are plying their trade in the basement nightclub of the Palladium Hotel in Odessa in what was once Soviet Russia.
No, these girls aren't prostitutes; not in the strictest sense of the word anyway - but potential 'brides'.

The female reporter is quite typical of their attitude towards slim eastern girls who wear heels. Sounds like the same shit I have heard from friends here. Too bad, so sad.

Shes now in  full boil with this being said.

Pictures of exotic beauties would have soon appeared on their screens. Women such as 'Diana', 29, with flowing chestnut hair - an accountant, apparently  

I guess they can't wear makeup ,have high heels on and work ?
Reowwwww, hiss hiss

Offline B.B.

• Supporting Member
Oh i was about to post that article as well, and isn't somebody's book there being promoted ?:))

And I trust this is not a description of our intrepid host:

One agency boss we spoke to - a 50-year-old British ex-pat with greying hair and beer belly - admitted penning dozens of letters to male clients.

:chuckle: :ROFL: :party0031:

Although it does make me wonder if Andrew has relocated to Ukraine from the Baltics.  ;D

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline sparky114

Got it for you :0

PM where you want it sent:)

Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Manny

So the female half of the dynamic duo has been flushed out. She even offered her measurements to prove she was not some overweight man hating feminist: See here.

Offline Excedryn

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
Hmm...maybe I will ask her for them and a picture to back it up? :ROFL:
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.
Helen Keller
US blind & deaf educator (1880 - 1968)

Offline Paul

Hmm...maybe I will ask her for them and a picture to back it up? :ROFL:

Her pic looks P/S'd to the background.

Offline Excedryn

Com'on Paul! No measurements or body shot? :'(
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.
Helen Keller

Offline Paul

Com'on Paul! No measurements or body shot? :'(

LOL, at least she doesn't have a double chin  :biggrin:

Offline Excedryn

:ROFL: tiphat
Helen Keller

Offline Manny

Her site at helencroydon.com suggests she "produced and directed a short documentary ‘Extreme Dating’ (due to air May 2009)". I don't recall seeing it, but I am betting she used the same (flawed) research material.

As she lost her job in January and is now freelance, I guess she has to pay the rent somehow. Correcting the spelling mistakes on her site and updating it occasionally are clearly not high on the agenda.

As a Daily Mail reader, I am hoping her first speculative foray into mainstream journalism will be her last. The Daily Mail ain't "Silk FM" Helen! (Yes, I get Silk FM being in Cheshire). You should do a tad more research before you pen stuff for the Mail.

Looking at Paul Bracchi's journalistic history, he is hardly a high roller in writing circles either.

Taking cheap unresearched shots at Russian/Ukrainian women and stealing (and cropping) photos from the internet seems about right.

Perhaps the Daily Mail are scratching for freelance writers; I may oblige them. I can write about Bulgarian pickpockets, knife wielding Albanians and Iraqi's at Sangatte - I might fit right in.

Offline WestCoast

Her site at helencroydon.com suggests she "produced and directed a short documentary ‘Extreme Dating’ (due to air May 2009)". I don't recall seeing it, but I am betting she used the same (flawed) research material.

As she lost her job in January and is now freelance, I guess she has to pay the rent somehow. Correcting the spelling mistakes on her site and updating it occasionally are clearly not high on the agenda.

As a Daily Mail reader, I am hoping her first speculative foray into mainstream journalism will be her last. The Daily Mail ain't "Silk FM" Helen! (Yes, I get Silk FM being in Cheshire). You should do a tad more research before you pen stuff for the Mail.

Looking at Paul Bracchi's journalistic history, he is hardly a high roller in writing circles either.

Taking cheap unresearched shots at Russian/Ukrainian women and stealing (and cropping) photos from the internet seems about right.

Perhaps the Daily Mail are scratching for freelance writers; I may oblige them. I can write about Bulgarian pickpockets, knife wielding Albanians and Iraqi's at Sangatte - I might fit right in.

Manny you can't complain that much about this after all it is a cover photo of your book, free publicity extra money :money: :money:.  Any publicity is good publicity isn't that what writers say.  I'm sure your wife has already decided what she is going to spend the extra money on. :laugh:
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
Re: Daily Mail article on Mail Order Brides Featuring the Russian Bride Guide
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 07:51:31 AM »
Nice product placement, Manny. How did you wangle that?  ;D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1192211/From-Russia-Without-love-How-thousands-lonely-British-men-ruthlessly-fleeced-Russian-email-brides-racket.html

The link above isn't working anymore. Has anyone saved the DailyMail article as PDF \ printscreen \ JPG file?
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Manny

Registration