The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Adivise please from Russians  (Read 3411 times)

Offline James

Adivise please from Russians
« on: June 14, 2007, 09:20:27 AM »
I have been in communication with a few ladies and they seem nice so far, a few obvious Yuti and I ignore them. I asked for an address from one lady and got the response.

Privet James,
I understood that you went to sleep after work and I wait when wake
up.
I can not find in my English book how need correctly write address,
please help me,send me for example .

That sounded like a possible stall tactic can any Russian ladies confirm that how to write an address would pose a problem?

Thanks guys

James

Offline mirror

Re: Adivise please from Russians
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 10:19:08 AM »

James,
in Russia we write address like that (for example)

Russia
Ufa ( town)
Sverdlova 66-32
Ivanova Svetlana

GREGK

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 10:22:49 AM »
When I correspond by mail with my cousins in Europe (Germany)the way that I have to address the envelope to them looks a lot different than it does for letters sent within the USA.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 11:22:38 AM »
Ask her for it in Russian format and text (cyrillic) and tell her you can translate it no problem. See if she has an excuse then.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 05:52:36 PM »
May be she meant just the order, because in Russia postal address is in that order

Country
Town/City
street name number of the house
the name of the person

and every where else address is in opposite order - name, street, town, state,  country.

My husband had problems with my address, i had to write it myself, print it out and send it to him and he was attaching it to his envelopes.

My girlfriend got one of her letters from USA 6 months after it was posted, because "very smart" women at the post office (usually they are not very well educated) confused the street name written in English with the town name and sent it somewhere else.

Offline ScottJaySplendid

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 09:00:13 PM »
I don't think there's anything in that letter that suggests scam.  However, talk to her on the phone.  Start as soon as you can.  Maybe get a translator to help.  Manchester's wife can help out.  PM him.  (They're in the North.)  Good luck.
While we have a few lottery winners here, if you're thinking about importing one of the pit vipers I have one word of advice -- don't.

Offline James

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 12:50:33 AM »
Thanks folks for the address feed back, was the only thing not sure on. Spoke on the phone from day 2 onwards. I have set conditions to meet I guess.

Thanks again

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 04:41:24 AM »
I just used to put the address on in both Cyrillic and English didn't have any problems. I agree with Manny though on your question, that will test her.
Слава Україні

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 04:53:58 AM »
Actually when sending mail/parcels to Russia now, we use Cyrillic & Russian format and just add "RUSSIA" at the bottom in English, thats all the UK Post Office needs to know, when it gets to Russia the format will be local.

100% arrival rate for small parcels since using this method. Customs note written in Russian helps too, ie; "Nothing to steal here of value Ivan - and in your own language"  ;D
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline ScottJaySplendid

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 07:39:59 AM »
Since this is not a scam, and everything is under control, should we move this to another forum?  There is some good mail advice in it.

ScottJS et al,
  Due to consensus and good sense and by the action of another moderator, this thread was moved from Scams and we are now catching it in Adventure Continues, where it seems to fit better.  I am just putting this note here so that other readers don't get down to this point  and wonder, "Huh, what's he talking about?"  Good suggestion, Scott.   ;D

ForgeMaster
While we have a few lottery winners here, if you're thinking about importing one of the pit vipers I have one word of advice -- don't.

Offline James

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 07:41:18 AM »
I have no objection

Offline Olga

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 08:33:59 PM »
Russian envelope

the first line in center - whom

the second line  - where

For example

whom Ivanovu Ivanu Ivanovichu

where Rossiya
           Kudikinskaya oblast, derevnya Gad'ukino
           pereulok Petrova-Vodkina, dom 13

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 04:55:23 PM »
James,
Good question and good feedback from members!  I use the same format that the Russian ladies have given you. 

I don't know about UK regs, but it may need to one slight addition for American mail:  When using another language, US postal regulations stipulate that the last line at the bottom must have the city, country and postal code written in English.

So my mail looks something like this fictional address when posting from the USA (in Cyrillic):

346599  Russia
Rostovskaya Oblast 
Shakhty
Ultiza Sovietskaya, D. 55. Korp. 33, KB. 444
Petrova Irina Yakovicha
Shakhty, Russia 346599 (English to meet US regs)

Key:
Postal code and country
Oblast is the region/county/province
Name of the city
Street name, house 55, building 33, Apartment 444
Family name, first name, female form of father's name
(In Eng) City, Country, Postal code

I try to include the Oblast after being told that mail in Russia (also Ukraine) is forwarded from the Point of Entry to the regional Oblast, and then to the individual city.  I've also noticed that my wife uses the Oblast when addressing mail to friends and relatives.

Offline James

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 05:27:50 PM »
Thanks, you did not sign  off with your name.

I have taken the Russian type she sent and the English type I have and put them both on mail stickers, took that to the post master and she said it was cool. Also cost just 42p to send a card by air mail  8) will doing that again.

Motorbike is going a TREAT and looking forward to the ride to Moscow to meet some of the ladies that I have wrote to.

James

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 01:54:12 AM »
Thanks, you did not sign  off with your name.

I have taken the Russian type she sent and the English type I have and put them both on mail stickers, took that to the post master and she said it was cool. Also cost just 42p to send a card by air mail  8) will doing that again.

Motorbike is going a TREAT and looking forward to the ride to Moscow to meet some of the ladies that I have wrote to.

James

Hi James,

I am also pondering not going by airplane to the Ukraine. Although it is not the same as Mother Russia,  I will be glad with any advice you can give me after you get back :)
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline James

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 05:24:25 AM »
Hi James,

I am also pondering not going by airplane to the Ukraine. Although it is not the same as Mother Russia,  I will be glad with any advice you can give me after you get back :)

Willl be happy to and you have a head start on me! I will be cutting through the Netherlands then Germany and Poland on the run. I will open up a blog or website and throw the link on this site for people to see and have a laugh.

James