The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Travel time (as in length of travel)?  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Travel time (as in length of travel)?
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 02:33:44 AM »
This was our last trip out and back to Chernivtsi WU in Aug/Sept

Outgoing

Home to Manchester - set off at 3am by road             1
Manchester, park car, shuttle, check in and wait around      2.5
Flight Manchester to Munich                     2.5
Layover in Munich                           4
Munich to Kiev flight                           3.25
Baggage collection, customs and layover in Kiev         5
Kiev to Ivano Frankivsk flight                     1.25
Baggage collection etc                        .5
Ivano Frankivsk to Chernivtsi by road               2.5

Total outgoing                              22.5 hours

Home to Chernivtsi door to door 221/2 hours give or take

Chernivtsi to Ivano Frankivsk – set off 2am by road      2.5
Check in and waiting around                     2
Ivano Frankivsk to Kiev flight                     1.25
Baggage claim, check in layover   in Kiev            6.5
Kiev to Frankfurt flight                        3
Layover in Frankfurt                           5.5
Frankfurt to Manchester flight                     2.5
Baggage claim, customs immigration, shuttle, collect car etc   1.25
Manchester to home by road                     1

Total incoming                              25.5 hours

Chernivtsi to home door to door give or take 251/2 hours

I think the best we have ever done it in was 18 hours, and 25+ hours about the worst.

If we cannot get the Kiev to Ivano Frankivsk flights either way it means a 8 or 9 hour trip by road instead. If we drive 3.5 hours in the UK both ways we can get a direct flight from Luton to Kiev, however it still doesn't save much time and Wizz have been known to cancel flights at short notice, so with the extra drive and the unpredictability of Wizz we would rather pay more, use Lufthansa and have less road time this end.
Слава Україні

Offline MND

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 02:43:29 AM »
Adelaide, Asia, western europe then to kiev on average flying and waiting 42 hours then train to Kamanets 12-14 hours also most times have to wait in Kiev 8-10 hours before catching train on average 50- 60 hours.

Offline Chris

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 06:27:38 AM »
Adelaide, Asia, western europe then to kiev on average flying and waiting 42 hours then train to Kamanets 12-14 hours also most times have to wait in Kiev 8-10 hours before catching train on average 50- 60 hours.

:'( yes most of us are a lot luckier than you guys Mark when it comes to travel times.
Слава Україні

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 06:38:43 AM »
Door to airport check-in approx 2 hours

2 hour wait before flight

flight no.1 duration 4.25 hours to Moscow

layover time 3 hours to nine hours

flight no.2 duration 5.5 hours

time taken to get from leaving plane to FSU home door, approx 2 hours

Total 18.75 ( going) to 24.75 hours (returning..)

The cost ? Horrendous, in the Summer months - 3 to 4 times cheaper in Feb..

(If going by train across Siberia - add 2.75 - 4 days !)

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline MND

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 07:30:44 AM »

:'( yes most of us are a lot luckier than you guys Mark when it comes to travel times.

Yes it is a long haul from here to get there and it does take alot out of you but i love the train trip from Kiev to Kamanets as i always sleep really well on the train, the rocking motion of the train puts me to sleep really quick.

Offline Paul

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 07:42:22 AM »

And done 10 to 20 times,.. much respect to you, Schastlivyj.

When reading about some of the little things others cannot be bothered with, I will be amazed even more by their laziness.

Offline Chris

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 02:44:11 PM »

Yes it is a long haul from here to get there and it does take alot out of you but i love the train trip from Kiev to Kamanets as i always sleep really well on the train, the rocking motion of the train puts me to sleep really quick.

Just  like a baby  :-X    :chuckle:   Are you sure about that Mark? are you sure its not the fact that you have probably missed 2 or 3 nights sleep previously  :chuckle:

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 02:45:13 PM »

When reading about some of the little things others cannot be bothered with, I will be amazed even more by their laziness.

Yes it beggars belief doesn't it, puts a little bit of work in obtaining a visa to certain countries into perspective doesn't it  :'(
Слава Україні

Offline kenny2112

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 03:09:19 PM »
It's usually about 24 hours on the way over and about 36 on the way back. Layover in either Chicago or New Jersey of about 4 hours or so and then an 8 hour layover "somewhere" on the way back. Honestly, I'm usually so spaced out that I really don't know where I am on the way back.

The layover in Warsaw on the way over and the way back isn't really a layover. It's more like "grab your chit and git" and both times they've been holding the plane for me and a few others on the way over.

Offline MND

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2011, 12:49:53 AM »

Just  like a baby  :-X    :chuckle:   Are you sure about that Mark? are you sure its not the fact that you have probably missed 2 or 3 nights sleep previously  :chuckle:

Yeah that could be it  ;D  this when starting out and this  :Zzzzsleep: when arriving

Offline MND

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2011, 12:54:29 AM »

Yes it beggars belief doesn't it, puts a little bit of work in obtaining a visa to certain countries into perspective doesn't it  :'(

And us Aussies still have the dis-advantage of having to obtain a visa to enter Ukraine  :-X I think it is because their scared we will runaway with all the women

Offline Chris

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2011, 01:02:57 AM »

And us Aussies still have the dis-advantage of having to obtain a visa to enter Ukraine  :-X I think it is because their scared we will runaway with all the women

:chuckle: its probably because they know it takes you so long to get there that you will make the most of it and take a handful of them back to Aus  :laugh:
Слава Україні

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2011, 10:46:41 AM »
Longest? Christmas day 2002 (or 2003?) on BA when British authorities closed Heathrow for hours because of a terror alert. Most of us at some point have spent the night on a airport lounge bench. When I saw those metal shutters coming down on shops in the terminal I raced into one just as it was closing to stock up on water and chocolate for the night.  :)

Via Aeroflot:
Home to airport - 30 min
Check in/departure lounge - 1hr 30
Flight - to LAX 1 hr
Transfer to international terminal: 20 min
Wait in airport lounge: 2-3 hrs
Flight - to SVO 14 hrs
Passport control/baggage/ 45 min
Drive home to Moscow apt: 2+ hrs depending on traffic
Total = 23+ hrs

Via Delta:
Home to airport: 30 min
Check in/departure lounge - 1hr 30
Flight - PHX to JFK 4:45 hrs
Transfer to international terminal: 45 min
Wait in airport lounge: 2 hrs
Flight - JFK to SVO 9:45 hrs
Passport control/baggage/ 45 min
Drive home to Moscow apt: 2+ hrs depending on traffic
Total = 22-23 hrs

* Drive home to Moscow apt: 2+ hrs depending on traffic: We live in southern Moscow and would shave an hour off by flying into Domodedovo however neither Delta or Aeroflot goes to DME. Delta Platinum frequent flyers essentially get bumped to first class almost every flight so the advantages of going to SVO far outweigh using another carrier in order to land at DME just to save an hour in traffic.

Offline Boris

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2011, 11:03:34 AM »
I never sleep on the plane. Plus I don't sleep well for the first three days in country. So the women concerned got the slightly deranged Boris for the first three or four days of the trip... :)

Registration