The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Weight loss - how to put it nicely  (Read 13112 times)

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Weight loss - how to put it nicely
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2009, 09:33:17 AM »
Computer programmers who do not listen to the users of their software because they are too "smart" for that.

This is why i make the big money. i'm not the smartest programmer out there, but i listen well and always try to make apllications that people actually like to use.
i cannot tell you how many times i have heard users say "he's just a know it all" or "i cant talk to him". bad, bad, bad.

but, back on subject, i might suggest using stairs or climbing machines if you can handle it.
they both are making you push your body's wight continuously. most weightlifters dont lift that much. i do about 4 1/2 vertical miles in 30 minutes and am wiped out.
it's a great workout, although some people think they look goofy on a climbing machine.
i hear ellipticals are good too, but it looks too gorly for me to try it in public.

and adding my philosphy to any wieght loss. you need to do these things. stay under your daily  basic metabolism rate, drink 8 glasses of WATER daily,  do at least 30 minutes of excercise daily. atkins, south beach or 10 mile runs wont do jack if you dont do those.

Good post!

A combination of weight training and cardio is the my suggestion.
Weight training is important for health reasons (bad backs, knees and shoulders is mainly caused by poor muscular development (or more precicesly muscle loss) in these areas). Also weight training will build muscles (of course), which will tighten your body and also burn fat (the body needs to spend a significant amount of calories every day just to maintain muscle mass, which is why strength athletes are often very reluctant to lose weight, do cardio or cut calories from their diet).

As for cardio, I personally prefer the ellipitical machine, as it used (more or less) the entire body and its easy on the joints, just of like cross country skiing, which is also a great workout. Swimming is also a great way to train your body with minimal stress on the joints.

Great general advice. But when applied to this poster it will both end his search, and his weight concerns as it'll kill him if he isn't careful and doesn't do this under the guidance of a professional medical and PT-OT-MD-Nutritionist team.

Offline rhayes026

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2009, 12:10:42 PM »
I'm just going to walk it off. I would love to exercise more rigourously but the docs told me, same as you, just to go for walks in the gym. I can only lift 10 kg with my left arm (access) so a workout, although ruled out, wouldn't be that much. I wish I could eat less protein, but my nutritionist insists I eat protein (meat, not beans, beans have too much phosphorous), otherwise Paul's suggestion sounded good. I just need to watch what I eat more carefully and not expect to lose 11 kg in 1 month, maybe 1 year would be more like it.    :nod:
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2009, 02:48:27 PM »
Strength training is useful for building strength and muscle thickness but it is not as useful for weight loss. In your case, breaking down large amounts of muscle tissue would not be the best thing to do, anyway. The beauty of walking is that, unlike running or strength training, virtually no recovery time is needed for muscle repair. How many minutes did your physicians suggest for your walks?

"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Offline rhayes026

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2009, 03:26:21 PM »
Thirty minutes 3 to 4 times a week. May my arthritic knees have mercy on me.  :laugh:  Since I was down in the dumps and sedentary once I was diagnosed with kidney failure they don't want me to start out and over do it. But I woke up from my "slumber" and want a life again and that iincludes losing weight.   :nod:
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Offline leeholsen

• Houston-NASA, the oil biz+too much country+western
    • Loveland Ski Area
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2009, 04:05:30 PM »
Lee,

Robert is in renal failure and is on dialysis.

yep, Tom; i picked up he has some issues to work around.

i dont know exactly the problems, but sometimes stairs or elliptics are okay for people that cant do strenous excercise and sometimes thats too much; but i figured any type of running was off the table; those are much easier on the body.
i just offered the suggestion.
Eat 'em up Houston Cougars !

Online Ward_Cleaver

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2009, 10:42:15 PM »
Thirty minutes 3 to 4 times a week.

:party0011: :party0011: :party0011:

Strength training is useful for building strength and muscle thickness but it is not as useful for weight loss.

Disclaimer:  Before everyone decides to criticize the follow as a recommendation for rhayes026, please realize that I am speaking in general terms.

It has been proposed to me that strength training is better for weight loss than most people realize.  Reason being that when you lift weights and tear apart muscle, calories are being burned all day long to repair and strengthen the muscle as apposed to say running which only burns calories during the activity.  But I don't know.

I am an empiricist and from my observation there is a correlation between being over weight and not eating breakfast.  My theory for that is that not eating breakfast slows your metabolism.  I am starving when I first wake up.  And shouldn't I be?  I haven't eaten all night.

Offline TomT

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2009, 11:13:01 PM »
Ward,

All forms of exercise result in microtears which require repair. Nonetheless, the energy cost of this repair is negligable compared to the cost to create the damage. If you doubt it, compare your pulse rate during exercise to what it is ten minutes thereafter.

"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Offline BelleZeBoob

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2009, 12:21:57 AM »
As for me, I would not have any problems receiving comments from men that I need to change or improve something in my appearance, be it about loosing weight or whatever.

Most likely it wouldn't be any surprise for me, because normally women know what is good in them and what is less than good. I would not be offended hearing something like that. Also, it does not matter for me whether the man is in top form himself or not, because in this case it is about me, and not about him.

There are however things in one's appearance that can be changed, and there are things that cannot be changed. What is really important is to distinguish between the two.
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline Norwegian Viking

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2009, 02:46:45 AM »
I'm just going to walk it off. I would love to exercise more rigourously but the docs told me, same as you, just to go for walks in the gym. I can only lift 10 kg with my left arm (access) so a workout, although ruled out, wouldn't be that much. I wish I could eat less protein, but my nutritionist insists I eat protein (meat, not beans, beans have too much phosphorous), otherwise Paul's suggestion sounded good. I just need to watch what I eat more carefully and not expect to lose 11 kg in 1 month, maybe 1 year would be more like it.    :nod:

Actually, proteins are the best source of calories for anyone, regardless og their goal, period!

This is because protein is what builds and maintains muscles. Also, it can not readily be stored as fat, it has to be converted first and won't do so as easily as carbohydrates. I remember speaking to a body builder who had won international competitions and is also a doctor, and he told me that if I wanted to get bigger and stronger, I had to have a lot of proteins. "If you want to loose weight, you need even more", he told me. This is because a high protein intake while having a calorie deficit will prevent your body breaking down muscle tissue for fuel, but instead conserving them and using fat as a fuels source.

Some body builders prefer to cut carbs and stay high in proteins and moderate in fat intake for loosing weight, while others prefer to cut the fats and stay moderate in carbs instead. Both has its advantages and disadvantages (to me it seems that cutting carbs is the way to go, by the way), but they all agree that protein intake mus be held high.
IMO this applies to anyone wanting to lose "garbage weight" while maintaining quality weight (which is muscle mass).

Offline Norwegian Viking

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2009, 02:50:39 AM »
As for me, I would not have any problems receiving comments from men that I need to change or improve something in my appearance, be it about loosing weight or whatever.

This is easy for you to say, because you are already a hottie and will therefore never receive such a comment.  :)

Ada

« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2009, 06:25:11 AM »

Most likely it wouldn't be any surprise for me, because normally women know what is good in them and what is less than good. I would not be offended hearing something like that. Also, it does not matter for me whether the man is in top form himself or not, because in this case it is about me, and not about him.

There are however things in one's appearance that can be changed, and there are things that cannot be changed. What is really important is to distinguish between the two.

I would say there has to be at least a certain level of intimacy between the man giving "advice" and the woman receiving it, in this case... unless the man is a personal trainer or something  :biggrin:

Offline TomT

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2009, 10:24:55 AM »
Robert,

Excess protein is converted into urea and is normally removed from the bloodstream by the kidneys. Since you are completely dependent on dialysis for the removal of urea and other waste products, I think that you should approach the subject of high protein intake with healthy skepticism.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2009, 10:29:44 AM »
Maybe we could use a thread advising men how to lose some gut in preparation for going to the FSU?

Since we have so many guys here clued up on the subject.

(Serious suggestion)
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<<

"He wants to build a wall to keep the Mexicans out. He reckons that's a great idea. The Chinese built a wall centuries ago - there ain't many Mexicans over there." ~ Kevin Bloody Wilson

Offline Paul

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2009, 10:32:45 AM »
Maybe we could use a thread advising men how to lose some gut in preparation for going to the FSU?

Since we have so many guys here clued up on the subject.

(Serious suggestion)

A "health & fitness" section doesn't seem like a bad idea.

tbelknap

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2009, 10:33:26 AM »

Actually, proteins are the best source of calories for anyone, regardless og their goal, period!

This is because protein is what builds and maintains muscles. Also, it can not readily be stored as fat, it has to be converted first and won't do so as easily as carbohydrates. I remember speaking to a body builder who had won international competitions and is also a doctor, and he told me that if I wanted to get bigger and stronger, I had to have a lot of proteins. "If you want to loose weight, you need even more", he told me. This is because a high protein intake while having a calorie deficit will prevent your body breaking down muscle tissue for fuel, but instead conserving them and using fat as a fuels source.

Some body builders prefer to cut carbs and stay high in proteins and moderate in fat intake for loosing weight, while others prefer to cut the fats and stay moderate in carbs instead. Both has its advantages and disadvantages (to me it seems that cutting carbs is the way to go, by the way), but they all agree that protein intake mus be held high.
IMO this applies to anyone wanting to lose "garbage weight" while maintaining quality weight (which is muscle mass).

That is exactly what the wife and I are doing right now to lose some winter baggage.  Strict protein diet and no carbs.  I want to lose a little fat before I get back into the gym to build some more muscle.

Thomas

Offline TomT

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2009, 10:34:02 AM »

Belle,

In regard to being willing to accept constructive criticism, I think that you may be atypical. It is more common for a woman to be offended by this, especially when the relationship is young and fragile. It is not the best thing for a man to tell a girl that she needs to lose weight because she might be very sensitive to this issue. Even worse, she might get the impression (perhaps correctly) that he would not be willing to pursue the relationship as she is.

Offline TomT

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2009, 10:38:04 AM »
That is exactly what the wife and I are doing right now to lose some winter baggage.  Strict protein diet and no carbs.  I want to lose a little fat before I get back into the gym to build some more muscle.
Thomas

Thomas,

You really ought to research some medical studies before you continue this approach.

Offline Paul

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2009, 10:44:54 AM »
Quote from: The Harvard School of Public Health
Protein

Bottom Line
Pay attention to the protein package. Fish, poultry, and beans are your best bets.

Protein sources Animal protein and vegetable protein probably have the same effects on health. It's the protein package that's likely to make a difference. A 6-ounce broiled porterhouse steak is a great source of protein—38 grams worth. But it also delivers 44 grams of fat, 16 of them saturated. That's almost three-fourths of the recommended daily intake for saturated fat. The same amount of salmon gives you 34 grams of protein and 18 grams of fat, 4 of them saturated. A cup of cooked lentils has 18 grams of protein, but under 1 gram of fat.

So when choosing protein-rich foods, pay attention to what comes along with the protein. Vegetable sources of protein, such as beans, nuts, and whole grains, are excellent choices, and they offer healthy fiber, vitamins and minerals. The best animal protein choices are fish and poultry. If you are partial to red meat, stick with the leanest cuts, choose moderate portion sizes, and make it only an occasional part of your diet.

FULL ARTICLE ON PROTEIN

tbelknap

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2009, 10:45:43 AM »
Thomas

Thomas,

You really ought to research some medical studies before you continue this approach.

Thanks for the concern Tom.  It will be only for a week.  I just consult my doctor err.. wife.   ;D

Thomas

Offline alenika

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2009, 11:13:04 AM »
normally women know what is good in them and what is less than good.
If so then there are even less reasons to say things she already knows :-) And if she doesn't know... then she likes her as she is. Actually I think it is important to find if she considers being overweight attractive or no than to show that don't like her being overweight. In case if she wants to lose weight - they'll have perfect time together losing weight. In case if she doesn't want to lose weight and thinks she is already attractive, then tastes differ a lot  and better to move on.
Man and woman should find each other phisically attractive to have relationship. This doesn't mean they should be models, but their tastes should be the same in this regards.
I close eyes to see better

tbelknap

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2009, 11:17:18 AM »
normally women know what is good in them and what is less than good.
If so then there are even less reasons to say things she already knows :-) And if she doesn't know... then she likes her as she is. Actually I think it is important to find if she considers being overweight attractive or no than to show that don't like her being overweight. In case if she wants to lose weight - they'll have perfect time together losing weight. In case if she doesn't want to lose weight and thinks she is already attractive, then tastes differ a lot  and better to move on.
Man and woman should find each other phisically attractive to have relationship. This doesn't mean they should be models, but their tastes should be the same in this regards.

Great point Alenika.  My wife always asks me if I will tell her if she starts to put on weight.  Of course, I agree when she asks.  I still haven't and will not say anything to her.  She knows better than anyone when she puts on weight and doesn't need me to tell her.  No matter what weight, she is and will always be an incredibly beautiful person.  Luckily, she is very concerned with her weight as I am. 

Thomas

Offline Norwegian Viking

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2009, 01:00:35 PM »
Robert,

Excess protein is converted into urea and is normally removed from the bloodstream by the kidneys. Since you are completely dependent on dialysis for the removal of urea and other waste products, I think that you should approach the subject of high protein intake with healthy skepticism.

Yeah, again this was general advice from me. :)

Offline TomT

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2009, 01:04:11 PM »

Great point Alenika.  My wife always asks me if I will tell her if she starts to put on weight.  Of course, I agree when she asks.  I still haven't and will not say anything to her.  She knows better than anyone when she puts on weight and doesn't need me to tell her.  No matter what weight, she is and will always be an incredibly beautiful person.  Luckily, she is very concerned with her weight as I am. 

Thomas

I agree that taking responsibility for ones health and appearance without prodding from ones partner is the best approach.

Offline TomT

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2009, 01:06:01 PM »
Robert,

Yeah, again this was general advice from me. :)

Got it.

Offline Norwegian Viking

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2009, 01:07:44 PM »
Thomas

Thomas,

Unless he happens to have kidney failure this is no problem (and even then, I fail to see it as a big problem, but then again I'm a lawyer, not a doctor).

Look at it this way: you have three sources of calories. Proteins build muscle, carbs give you energy, and fat is necessary for your joints and digestion. Carbs will make your body retain water, and can be replaced by fat as an energy source (although it'll take your body some weeks to adapt to a high fat, low carb diet).

Personally I lost too much water and glycogen in my muscles to be able to perform as a powerlifter on a low carb diet, but if I hadn't been a competitive lifter I would have cut my weekday intake of carbs to a minimum, eating only carbs from vegetables and from skimmed milk. Everyting else would be meat or eggs. This diet drops 20 lbs of "crap weight" (water and fat) from my body in the blink of an eye, and also gives me more energy.

Cutting proteins is a big no-no, which is something all nutritians seem to agree on, and cutting fat will lead to problems with vitamine uptake and joint problems.

For some wanting to lose weight I really see no other options than cutting carbs or fat (obviously something has to be cut in order to loose weight)n and cutting fat dramatically seem to carry far worse health implications than dropping carbs.