The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Weight loss - how to put it nicely  (Read 17741 times)

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
Re: Weight loss - how to put it nicely
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 11:38:24 AM »
Robert,

Since you are on dialysis, dumping the byproducts of strenuous exercise into your blood stream is not the best thing to do. You should consider walking for one hour, three times per week, instead.

what you mean more lactic acid in already acidotic person is bad.. who knew :P :chuckle:

Yep, it was just a wild guess.  ;D

Offline alenika

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 11:48:37 AM »
If you like the profile very much I'd suggest to continue communication (if it is free) and find out more about her, maybe you'll dislike her with time. And during this time of getting to know each other you can find out what she thinks about sport. Maybe she likes to be overweight and seeking man who likes the same, who knows.
Direct talk about losing weight is insulting, yes. But if you jsut start talking about sport the talk will smoothly go to weight - if she considers this to be her issue.
You can also talk abotu food and her attitude to it. There are people for whom food is fetish. Anyway, speaking of food you cane asily go to talk abotu diet. I guess you have one too... because of your health condition.If she'll show enthusiasm talking baout diets - she may start to talk abotu weight also.
Actually what you need to find out - if she considers overweighting as attractiveness of as shortage.

Find a smiller woman is the easiest option though, that's right.
I close eyes to see better

Offline leeholsen

• Houston-NASA, the oil biz+too much country+western
    • Loveland Ski Area
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 03:07:18 PM »
i just tell her she's not getting any of this(this being my fineness) until she loses that.  :ROFL:

i wouldnt do that if i were you.

my guidline is to take her as she is or not at all.

if she starts putting on poundage and until you've been exclusive enough to go on a trip together or have been exclusive for at least 2 months you can bring it up if youre keeping your gut in check, but you are about to start a fight; so be ready and she will never forget. if you gain 15 pounds 10 years from now, she's going to let you know.

now its harder for an fsu or any online woman, so i go back to this - my guidline is to take her as she is or not at all.  then implement my 2 months if she comes over here.
Eat 'em up Houston Cougars !

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 04:36:18 PM »
rhayes, What website are you using to contact women ?

http://www.surplus_to_requirements.ru?

Seriously mate, you've a lot to learn about women!

Is this comment aimed at me Ste ?

The context of Ste's comment suggests not.

Actually Tom, first bit wasn't - my Cooganesque humour, second bit was aimed at the OP WRT to the lose some weight thing, sorry if I offended but it's just not something anyone would ask even a lover or or partner, let alone a stranger.

After the weight it's only a short trip to the teeth....
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline rhayes026

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 05:28:12 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I am listening to it all, believe it or not. :)
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Offline rhayes026

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2009, 05:29:05 PM »
Right now at 8:24 am pst there are over 40 women who are over 40
online at LL

Udachi

Bill

Thank you 2tallbill!   tiphat
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Ward_Cleaver

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2009, 06:49:20 PM »
Why not find another woman. There are plenty of thin ones.
she will not get more skinny after she catches one she will get fatter.
Why would you travel thousands of miles to date a fat heifer? You can do that in your own country. There are plenty of fat American chicks looking for love.

I concur with Stirlitz, 2tallbill, and ManAbout.

Would it insult her if I mention this?

Probably, but who cares.  I don't.  I am tired of catering to other people's feelings.  Wait, I never have cared about offending fat people.

Am I being shallow over the weight thing?

If so, I don't want to know what word would be appropriate to describe my distaste for obesity.  To each his own.  Julie doesn't like old men that smell like they are half dead.  I don't like fat chicks.  You just have to decide what is important to you and not waist your time with people that you are not compatible with.  So the real question is this.  Is this really a big deal for you?  It is for me, if you can't tell.  But I am very fit and very old (yet).  I work out most every day to keep find and try to increase my muscle mass.  I do my best to look good for her and I expect that she will do the same for me.

Offline Ward_Cleaver

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2009, 06:52:03 PM »
http://www.surplus_to_requirements.ru?

Ste?  Is that you?  The Ste I remember from the old site with an avatar that would morph between two drawn sketches that I assumed were of you?  I remember you were one of the first people to label me as a troll on that other site. :laugh: But people like Manny and Paul realized I was just very stupid.  :chuckle:

Offline TomT

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2009, 07:02:07 PM »
http://www.aakp.org/aakp-library/Dialysis-Patients--Exercise/

The above article mentioned 60% maximum exercise capacity. (The author probably meant 60% of maximum pulse because it would be impractical to carry around the equipment needed to measure oxygen uptake.)  For you, this would be slightly less than 100 b.p.m.  If you have been sedentary for a while, you may find that this pulse rate doesn't get you much beyond a walk, anyway.

Unfortunately, the issue of metabolic wastes was not discussed, but should have been. As a result the article was far from being comprehensive. In any case, the important point is that it is your health and your life; you need to do your homework, in addition to talking to your physician.

Offline Ward_Cleaver

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2009, 07:28:32 PM »
you need to do your homework, in addition to talking to your physician.

Hmmm, I take a much more simplistic approach.  Try it out.  If it is too much then back off.  If it hurts like hell then stop doing it and re-access.

Offline rhayes026

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2009, 07:30:39 PM »
I guess I'll just go to the gym and walk it off.

Offline Ward_Cleaver

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2009, 07:48:26 PM »
I guess I'll just go to the gym and walk it off.

That sounds like a good approach. :party0011: But you don't need to pay a gym membership to walk.  Just take it a day at a time and see how it goes.  Listen to your body.

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2009, 08:08:38 PM »
you need to do your homework, in addition to talking to your physician.

Hmmm, I take a much more simplistic approach.  Try it out.  If it is too much then back off.  If it hurts like hell then stop doing it and re-access.

"Ward,'

He has a serious medical condition where if he did that and isn't careful it might kill him..That's why "Tom T," advised that he work with is medical team and see what they can come up with to help him achieve his goals. It's quite possible and I'm sure they'd be willing to help. But just doing it on his own could have serious unintended consequences.

Offline TomT

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2009, 08:37:03 PM »
Ward,

The majority of people who enter a dialysis program have heart issues, as well. Sometimes, the first symptom of a problem can be a cardiac event.

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2009, 08:52:19 PM »
Ward,

The majority of people who enter a dialysis program have heart issues, as well. Sometimes, the first symptom of a problem can be a cardiac event.

Additionally, the disease diabetes causes neuropathy which means that some patients may be having a cardiac event but not experience classic symptoms or be able to feel pain as a result. This as previously mentioned can further contribute to adverse events. I'm sure we'd all like to see 'RHayes," be successful at achieving all of his goals. But in order to do that he's going to need to realize there are some things he will need to do which will require a lot of determination, planning, common sense, and effort. The majority of the time it will be far more than most of us will expect to expend(I'm not just talking about $$'s either). For those members who have been at this awhile will tell you it can be quite a bit.

"Rhayes," as far as the weight issue with ladies for the most part as previously mentioned I would suggest reading through the responses here and taking them under advisement. In regards to your situation. No one will be a better advocate for you than you. If you push your clinicians or replace them with competent ones they should and more than likely will work hard with you to get you to the best possible position you can be in. You should know that in this scenario you are front and center there. You will be doing the most work and pushing them to work on your behalf. In doing so you'll make progress. This is mostly about you, and what you are and aren't willing to do or try.

Speaking from experience I have always seen my peers and other clinicians got the extra mile for someone that is genuinely trying their best, working hard, and following their recommendations. Heath care is in many respects a dialogue, not a monologue. It's when things get into the realm of apathy and when the patient has stopped trying and doing what they need to do for themselves that things rapidly decline. If you're not willing to fight for yourself, why should anyone else fight for you. Just my $.02

Offline rhayes026

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2009, 06:26:38 AM »
And thank you all for your concern. I have to realize I'm not young and buff anymore but I am "desperate" to lose this 10 kg that won't go away. I eat very little, 4 small mini meals to keep my sugar low. I prefer walking in the gym because if anything happens there weill be people there. But thanks for all the great advice. - Robert

Offline Ward_Cleaver

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2009, 06:55:12 AM »
I prefer walking in the gym because if anything happens there will be people there.

Very smart! tiphat I hadn't thought of that.

Regarding the criticism above.  Here is a short list of stupid people.

Engineers who do not listen to the users of there products because they are too "smart" for that.
Mechanics who do not listen to the owner of the car because they are too "smart" for that.
Computer programmers who do not listen to the users of their software because they are too "smart" for that.
Doctors who do not listen to their patients because they are too smart for that.
Anyone who doesn't not listen to their own body because they are to smart for that.

Since when has walking become such a strenuous activity that you need to consult a physician before doing it? :chuckle: Go rhayes026! :party0011: Just don't get too attached to achieving a goal of "loosing weight".  It may not happen.  But just getting out and going for a walk will make you feel better (as long as you don't ever do it - and you will be the one to know what level of activity is appropriate).  Enjoy.

Offline TomT

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2009, 09:47:36 AM »
Urging caution is not criticism. There are many situations where relying on our internal feedback fails miserably, especially when the body's hydrocortisome production is elevated during exercise.

Offline Jared2151

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2009, 12:09:40 PM »
Since when has walking become such a strenuous activity that you need to consult a physician before doing it? :chuckle:

Ward - I take it that you have never followed some 300+ pounder out of the grocery store pushing her cart loaded with Diet Pepsi, bags of potato chips, and bakery items as she huffs and puffs her way to her cattle car ..... errr ....mini van.

Offline leeholsen

• Houston-NASA, the oil biz+too much country+western
    • Loveland Ski Area
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2009, 10:48:28 AM »
Computer programmers who do not listen to the users of their software because they are too "smart" for that.

This is why i make the big money. i'm not the smartest programmer out there, but i listen well and always try to make apllications that people actually like to use.
i cannot tell you how many times i have heard users say "he's just a know it all" or "i cant talk to him". bad, bad, bad.

but, back on subject, i might suggest using stairs or climbing machines if you can handle it.
they both are making you push your body's wight continuously. most weightlifters dont lift that much. i do about 4 1/2 vertical miles in 30 minutes and am wiped out.
it's a great workout, although some people think they look goofy on a climbing machine.
i hear ellipticals are good too, but it looks too gorly for me to try it in public.

and adding my philosphy to any wieght loss. you need to do these things. stay under your daily  basic metabolism rate, drink 8 glasses of WATER daily,  do at least 30 minutes of excercise daily. atkins, south beach or 10 mile runs wont do jack if you dont do those.
Eat 'em up Houston Cougars !

Offline Paul

« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2009, 12:14:16 PM »
If someone wants to lose weight, they can always stop eating meat. It isn't as hard as it seems, and becomes very easy after about two weeks (it did for me, anyway). I haven't eaten meat since November of last year (I think,.. um,.. I'm pretty sure), and I have to fight to keep weight on, not off.

Offline TomT

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2009, 11:22:14 PM »
Lee,

Robert is in renal failure and is on dialysis.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2009, 11:57:59 PM »
Since when has walking become such a strenuous activity that you need to consult a physician before doing it? :chuckle:

Ward - I take it that you have never followed some 300+ pounder out of the grocery store pushing her cart loaded with Diet Pepsi, bags of potato chips, and bakery items as she huffs and puffs her way to her cattle car ..... errr ....mini van.

Jared you're right about the 300+ pounder with a grocery bag of chips and diet colas, happens all the time here in Vancouver.  I love potato chips and have several bags in the house now for the Stanley Cup playoffs, but I never buy diet cola to go with them, ruins the taste.  :laugh:
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Manny

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2009, 05:45:54 AM »

Why not find another woman. There are plenty of thin ones.
she will not get more skinny after she catches one she will get fatter.
Why would you travel thousands of miles to date a fat heifer? You can do that in your own country. There are plenty of fat American chicks looking for love.

I am in the camp of the folks above too.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Norwegian Viking

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2009, 08:55:54 AM »

This is why i make the big money. i'm not the smartest programmer out there, but i listen well and always try to make apllications that people actually like to use.
i cannot tell you how many times i have heard users say "he's just a know it all" or "i cant talk to him". bad, bad, bad.

but, back on subject, i might suggest using stairs or climbing machines if you can handle it.
they both are making you push your body's wight continuously. most weightlifters dont lift that much. i do about 4 1/2 vertical miles in 30 minutes and am wiped out.
it's a great workout, although some people think they look goofy on a climbing machine.
i hear ellipticals are good too, but it looks too gorly for me to try it in public.

and adding my philosphy to any wieght loss. you need to do these things. stay under your daily  basic metabolism rate, drink 8 glasses of WATER daily,  do at least 30 minutes of excercise daily. atkins, south beach or 10 mile runs wont do jack if you dont do those.

Good post!

A combination of weight training and cardio is the my suggestion.
Weight training is important for health reasons (bad backs, knees and shoulders is mainly caused by poor muscular development (or more precicesly muscle loss) in these areas). Also weight training will build muscles (of course), which will tighten your body and also burn fat (the body needs to spend a significant amount of calories every day just to maintain muscle mass, which is why strength athletes are often very reluctant to lose weight, do cardio or cut calories from their diet).

As for cardio, I personally prefer the ellipitical machine, as it used (more or less) the entire body and its easy on the joints, just of like cross country skiing, which is also a great workout. Swimming is also a great way to train your body with minimal stress on the joints.

Registration