The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Weight loss - how to put it nicely  (Read 13111 times)

Offline rhayes026

Weight loss - how to put it nicely
« on: May 03, 2009, 11:28:47 PM »
Hello again everyone. A woman has contacted me and seems genuinely interested. I like her profile a lot. But she is overweight by 10-15 kg. I would like to know how to politely ask her if she will go to the gym with me to lose weight (I could lose 10kg myself). You see, someone has to wear the bikini in the family and I look terrible in a bikini!   :laugh:    So she must fill that role. Would it insult her if I mention this? BTW she is an average looking woman but I just think her profile rocks. Am I being shallow over the weight thing? Thanks in advance. -Robert
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Offline WestCoast

Re: Weight loss - how to put it nicely
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 11:47:46 PM »
Yes you are being shallow especially if you need to drop some weight yourself.  What do you think the average western girlfriend would say if you proposed the same thing to her?
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Knowledge itself is power.   Sir Francis Bacon

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 12:18:00 AM »
Don't even THINK about telling a woman that she needs to lose weight. This would convey the impression that, in her current condition, she is not good enough for you. This is definitely not the best way to begin a relationship.
"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 12:18:05 AM »
Hello again everyone. A woman has contacted me and seems genuinely interested. I like her profile a lot. But she is overweight by 10-15 kg. I would like to know how to politely ask her if she will go to the gym with me to lose weight (I could lose 10kg myself). You see, someone has to wear the bikini in the family and I look terrible in a bikini!   :laugh:    So she must fill that role. Would it insult her if I mention this?

I would be very insulted especially if it was coming from a man with extra weight. I would be more acceptable to the request from some one very slim like TomT for example, but if you are not in tip-top shape yourself, do you have a right to ask it from others?

I can't remember how old you are but aren't you in your late 50-s? You seem to be a very nice guy but it does look like you are after some arm-candy. Who knows may be she will look great in one-piece suit and may be much better than you in your swim-trunks

Offline TomT

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 12:40:17 AM »
Nooo, it's completely unacceptable for a man to ask a woman to lose weight, even if he is built like the late Bruce Lee.
"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Offline Vinnvinny

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 01:14:43 AM »
It’s not clear from your question if you require her to lose weight as a pre requisite to continue communication or if it needs to be done before you are prepared to meet her?

With regards to you being shallow then I don’t think it’s as simple as that. More along the lines of extreme naivety to think of the question …… and gross stupidity to ask it.

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
  • "Helping People Understand Each Other"
    • OdessaGuide.Net
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 01:42:50 AM »
Why not find another woman. There are plenty of thin ones.
Igor Kalinin
Russian Translator/Interpreter/Guide/Agent for Odessa, the Crimea and the rest of Ukraine
www.odessaguide.net

Offline Noname

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 03:41:46 AM »
rhayes, What website are you using to contact women ?

Offline Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 05:34:02 AM »

http://www.surplus_to_requirements.ru?

Seriously mate, you've a lot to learn about women!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline rhayes026

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 05:46:42 AM »
I use elena's models. I know I need to learn more about women. I was thinking along the lines of " You and I both need to hit the gym " sort of hint. But thank you for pointing out my stupidity. I can get plenty of overweight AW here, I was hoping for someone more height/weight compliant or that carries it well like I do, even though it bothers me. If I was looking for arm candy I would be chasing young uber babes. Wish me luck in the gym. :)
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Noname

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 06:22:08 AM »
I use elena's models. I know I need to learn more about women. I was thinking along the lines of " You and I both need to hit the gym " sort of hint. But thank you for pointing out my stupidity. I can get plenty of overweight AW here, I was hoping for someone more height/weight compliant or that carries it well like I do, even though it bothers me. If I was looking for arm candy I would be chasing young uber babes. Wish me luck in the gym. :)

I have never really looked at Elena's models much, but with a name like that aren't the women supposed to look like models  :biggrin: ??? I.e. Not overweight.

Have you tried "All single Russian girls"

Offline Noname

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 06:23:37 AM »

Is this comment aimed at me Ste ?

Offline Norwegian Viking

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 06:29:25 AM »
Hello again everyone. A woman has contacted me and seems genuinely interested. I like her profile a lot. But she is overweight by 10-15 kg. I would like to know how to politely ask her if she will go to the gym with me to lose weight (I could lose 10kg myself). You see, someone has to wear the bikini in the family and I look terrible in a bikini!   :laugh:    So she must fill that role. Would it insult her if I mention this? BTW she is an average looking woman but I just think her profile rocks. Am I being shallow over the weight thing? Thanks in advance. -Robert

I once heard about a couple of guys who gave their girlfriends a stationary bike and a scale for birthday/christmas presents. These men are currently single. The conclusion: there is no way to tell a woman she needs to lose weight without raising hell.  :fighting0025:

Offline Jared2151

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 06:39:00 AM »

I'd sew my lips together before I'd tell a woman that she needs to lose weight. :fighting0004:
It would be less painful.

Offline rhayes026

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 07:40:46 AM »

I'd sew my lips together before I'd tell a woman that she needs to lose weight. :fighting0004:

Can't I just use glue?   :laugh:  I will not tell her she needs to lose weight, I am sure when she sees how hard I try to lose it will make her want to too. My weight gain came at the hands of medicine, the pills were known to cause weight gain and I gained 20kg before the doctors took me off. I've lost 10 kg of it, but this last 10 kg is coming off very hard (rather slowly). I have a slow metabolism so I have to go to the gym...

Offline Rasputin

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 08:30:33 AM »
A woman has contacted me and seems genuinely interested. I like her profile a lot. But she is overweight by 10-15 kg. I would like to know how to politely ask her if she will go to the gym with me to lose weight (I could lose 10kg myself).

Don't expect anybody to change. Love them as they are, or move on. If they decide to go to the gym and if they do end up losing weight, great. But, IMHO, one should never enter into a relationship where the goal is to change the other.
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline 2tallbill

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 09:18:40 AM »

Can't I just use glue?   :laugh:  I will not tell her she needs to lose weight, I am sure when she sees how hard I try to lose it will make her want to too. My weight gain came at the hands of medicine, the pills were known to cause weight gain and I gained 20kg before the doctors took me off. I've lost 10 kg of it, but this last 10 kg is coming off very hard (rather slowly). I have a slow metabolism so I have to go to the gym...

RH, women are complicated. You can't treat them like men, it simply doesn't work.
Secondly if a woman is over weight now when she is seeking a man then she will
not get more skinny after she catches one she will get fatter.

Igor (Stirlitz) made the only possible reasonable solution. Find a slimmer woman.

In addition to Elena's models I would recommend joining Lucky Lovers.
www.luckylovers.net It's something like $20 per month. They have a public chat
room where you can chat with RW and learn something about them. They have
private webcam chatting and they also have many women in the over 40 age group. 

Udachi !

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline 2tallbill

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 09:25:36 AM »
Right now at 8:24 am pst there are over 40 women who are over 40
online at LL

Udachi

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline TomT

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 09:27:45 AM »

Is this comment aimed at me Ste ?

The context of Ste's comment suggests not.

Offline TomT

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 09:32:24 AM »
Robert,

Since you are on dialysis, dumping the byproducts of strenuous exercise into your blood stream is not the best thing to do. You should consider walking for one hour, three times per week, instead.

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 09:49:43 AM »
Robert,

Since you are on dialysis, dumping the byproducts of strenuous exercise into your blood stream is not the best thing to do. You should consider walking for one hour, three times per week, instead.

what you mean more lactic acid in already acidotic person is bad.. who knew :P :chuckle:

Offline ManAbout

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 10:23:03 AM »

Why would you travel thousands of miles to date a fat heifer? You can do that in your own country. There are plenty of fat American chicks looking for love.

Offline froid

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 10:33:14 AM »
Why would you travel thousands of miles to date a fat heifer? You can do that in your own country. There are plenty of fat American chicks looking for love.

Haha.  Direct and to the point.  I like it.

You can turn it around too...Why would she want to waste her time with someone who doesn't like how she looks?   
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline kievstar

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 10:56:58 AM »
Go on south beach diet.  Weight will come off.  Than read the book 10 power foods.  Combination of these two will put you in great shape.  Than 30 minutes of exercise a day.

Or do not eat for 3 days - weight comes off after 60 hours of just drinking water.

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 11:14:21 AM »
BLAH..BLAH...BLAH.. My name is "Manabout," and I'm using the

Registration