The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Western Ukraine - Life & Leisure, Village Life  (Read 92948 times)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Western Ukraine - Village and Rural Life
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 12:50:43 AM »
Looking forward to see some pics from the Carpathian Mountains  :)

Thanks Paul, I can't promise though that they will be up to your quality of pictures, I just point and shoot, not a lot of thought goes into them  :) and as you can see, some are taken from a speeding car  ;D
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

Village Markets are a major attraction to the Carpathians and indeed to many villages throughout Ukraine.  Farmers and villagers alike bring their produce to market to sell. The markets usually take place on a Saturday morning, they start early and finish usually around noon.

In the Carpathians, many of the products sold at markets are made from the forests in the region. There are a lot of hardwoods in this area and also Juniper is a very popular material for wooden carved products and the like.

This picture is of a very modern style market, most are no where near this clean and tidy, see my other pictures below for examples.

Notice in this picture the donations/collection box in the foreground, this would be left there all day with no fear of someone stealing it.

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

Now pictures of traditional village flea and farmers markets

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Traditional Ukrainian costume
ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Wooden cup and pot stands, made from Juniper wood.
ila_rendered

Fruit, twigs and leaves carved from wood
ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

More market pictures

Pysanka, Easter eggs made from wood and decorated
ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Wooden bottles
ila_rendered

Hand made dresses
ila_rendered

Entrepreneurial :) selling home made ladders on the roadside, health and safety in the UK would have a field day at this place  :chuckle:
ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Traffic on Market Days
ila_rendered

ila_rendered

As you can see, market days means small towns and villages become a hive of activity and regularly double in size as people come from all over the region to sell their produce and buy necessities.
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

Most mountain homes have their own small chapels

ila_rendered

A traditional wooden house, high in the mountains.

ila_rendered

and still a statue of Lenin stands proudly on an old mountain road

ila_rendered
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

Some random pictures of mountain scenes

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

and some more

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

Summer meadows, horses in fields, waterfalls and lakes

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

Skiing in the Ukrainain Carpathians

The main resorts for skiers are:-

Slavsko
Bukovel
Tysovets
Dragobrat

and there are many smaller resorts too, including:-

Krasiya
Dolyna
Pylypets/Podobovets
Beskid
Sinyak
Polyana
Synevir
Yaremche
Vorokhta
Verkhovnya
Kosiv
Yavoriv to name but a few.

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

Slavsko is currently the most popular ski resort. It offers a number of good facilities to tourists. Situated around Mount Trostyan it is 900m to 1230m in elevation  and it benefits from having a good number of ski lifts plus a wide range of ski runs for all levels of skiers- from beginners to pros.

Slopes vary from 700m to 2000m in length.

The resort is spread out over 5 mountains. If you want to ski in peace on uncrowded slopes, then the slopes on Mount Gabrovets will suit you. There is a ski lift here and the ski runs are around 850meters in length.

Slavsko is very conveniently located on the Kiev-Uzzhorod rail road. Or you can drive 120km from the large town of Lvov to get there.

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

Well that concludes my report on Life and Leisure in the Ukrainain Carpathian Mountains, if you get a chance, please visit this area, you will not be dissappointed.

Chris
Слава Україні

Offline WestCoast

Absolutely fantastic, Chris.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Chris

Absolutely fantastic, Chris.

Thanks WestCoast.
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

Re: Western Ukraine - Village and Rural Life
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2009, 03:17:45 AM »
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

See my earlier report:-  Western Ukraine - Village Life
Слава Україні

Offline Paul

Great thread Chris! Western Ukraine reminds me much more of Romania, than it does Russia, in fact, if it had not been for the things like the Cyrillic, and statue of Lenin, I wouldn't be able to see a difference at all. The traditional clothing is very similar to that of Romanian traditional clothing, and the picture of the brick building that is being constructed is exactly how buildings of that type are constructed in RO.

It gets to be very annoying, very fast, being stuck behind the horse drawn (Gypsy) wagons.

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
Chris, so beautiful! Thanks for your photos and work on this thread!

I never cease to be amazed at how much the Carpathians resemble places like the Appalachians in Virginia-Kentucky-West Virginia. Excepting the Cyrillic signs and the languages being spoken, if you sat someone from the Appalachians in the middle of the Carpathians, they'd feel at home and might not realize being in Ukraine at first. The hills, the valleys, houses, roads, etc, so many things are almost interchangeable. Having spent some growing up in the Appalachians I love this area of Ukraine. So many childhood memories flood my mind as the similarities are so striking.

The Carpathians and Appalachians also share the same mineral group: iron, coal, limestone, shale, lead, copper, marble and modest deposits of natural gas and oil.

Chris you've done a marvelous job with this thread!

Offline Chris

Great thread Chris! Western Ukraine reminds me much more of Romania, than it does Russia, in fact, if it had not been for the things like the Cyrillic, and statue of Lenin, I wouldn't be able to see a difference at all. The traditional clothing is very similar to that of Romanian traditional clothing, and the picture of the brick building that is being constructed is exactly how buildings of that type are constructed in RO.

It gets to be very annoying, very fast, being stuck behind the horse drawn (Gypsy) wagons.

Yes Paul, so  many countries that have the Carpathians running through them are very similar in the mountain areas at least. I imagine it is sometimes hard to tell where you are if were not for the language and signs etc.
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

Chris, so beautiful! Thanks for your photos and work on this thread!

I never cease to be amazed at how much the Carpathians resemble places like the Appalachians in Virginia-Kentucky-West Virginia. Excepting the Cyrillic signs and the languages being spoken, if you sat someone from the Appalachians in the middle of the Carpathians, they'd feel at home and might not realize being in Ukraine at first. The hills, the valleys, houses, roads, etc, so many things are almost interchangeable. Having spent some growing up in the Appalachians I love this area of Ukraine. So many childhood memories flood my mind as the similarities are so striking.

The Carpathians and Appalachians also share the same mineral group: iron, coal, limestone, shale, lead, copper, marble and modest deposits of natural gas and oil.

Chris you've done a marvelous job with this thread!

Thanks Jim, never having experienced the Appalachians I couldn't say, but I will take your word for it.   Having said that, some of the countryside, (not the houses and villages) especially that of Western and Eastern Ukraine is just like Britain in many respects, a lot of it looks very familiar.
Слава Україні

Offline skiingandrunning

• Meмber
Chris,

Great pictures as they brought back a lot of memories, thanks for sharing. 

Related to ski resorts, I can only comment on Bukovel, but it's modern with a lot of snow making equipment and if you are in the Ukraine and want to ski, it's not a bad option (just not very difficult terrain if you are looking for the double black diamonds). 

Related to the pictures from the markets, I picked up a lot of nice souvenirs, especially the embroidered work when I stopped in Yaremcha.  Do you have any favorite markets in the area?

Offline looking

Chris, great thread. Some of those photos remind me of the TX Hill Country now in late winter and others of late fall. Its great to see places like the Carpathians so untouched by modern ugliness(I couldn't think of a better word at the time, don't take it the wrong way). It is a place I have wanted to visit for a long time.
All I want is just one woman. She doesn't have to love me, or work, or do housework, just be my friend, or act like it. I do not need a whore at night either. Just a woman that is intelligent and wants to be treated like royality. Hey I guess I would make someone a good wife, huh? I even change lightbulbs and clean the ceiling fans without a ladder. I am not looking for a 10 either, but in my eyes she is waaay past a 10-who cares what others think.

Offline Chris

Chris, great thread. Some of those photos remind me of the TX Hill Country now in late winter and others of late fall. Its great to see places like the Carpathians so untouched by modern ugliness(I couldn't think of a better word at the time, don't take it the wrong way). It is a place I have wanted to visit for a long time.

Its a beautiful area looking, I hope to be going back there again in a few months time if all goes to plan and my wife gets her ILR visa in time for the summer holidays.
Слава Україні

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
  • "Helping People Understand Each Other"
    • OdessaGuide.Net
  • Trips: Resident
Photos from my October trip to Zakarpatya
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2010, 02:57:14 AM »
The town of Polyana:

Some more photos can be seen here:

www.igorkalinin.com/download/photos/carpathians
Igor Kalinin
Russian Translator/Interpreter/Guide/Agent for Odessa, the Crimea and the rest of Ukraine
www.odessaguide.net

Offline Chris

Yes Poliana, not too far from Uzhgorod where I have relatives, close to the border.
Слава Україні

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: Western Ukraine - Life & Leisure, Village Life
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2011, 08:14:18 PM »
Chris et al ... thanks for a wonderful thread!  Parts look even like central PA, not too far where I am from.
Anchors Rewoven

Registration