The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Kherson - Херсон  (Read 9184 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Kherson - Херсон
« on: February 18, 2009, 11:33:06 AM »
Kherson (Херсон)

Kherson is a city in southern Ukraine. It is the administrative center of the Kherson Oblast (province), and is designated as its own separate raion (district) within the oblast. Kherson is an important port on the Black Sea and Dnieper River, and the home of a major ship-building industry.

The current estimated population is 329,000. Kherson was founded in 1778 by Grigori Aleksandrovich Potemkin, on the orders of Catherine the Great. The city was built on the site of a small fortress called Aleksandr-Shants. The name Kherson is a contraction of Chersonesos, an ancient Greek colony founded approximately 2500 years.

RUA member www.khersongirls.com is located in this city.

The city's large railway junction connects Kherson Ukraine with Moscow, Dnepropetrovsk, Kharkov, Simferopol and other cities of the countries and CIS. Modern Kherson Ukraine is the medium sized city with the population of 402,900 inhabitants and the area of the city is about 100 square km.

All about the city is at this link.

Offline mendeleyev

Re: Ukraine: Kherson - Херсон
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 11:36:55 AM »
Kherson Webcams

Camera at the Dniper River port.

City of Kherson.

Video link about the city of Kherson.

Offline mendeleyev

Re: Ukraine: Kherson - Херсон
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 12:40:28 PM »
Kherson is a city filled with industries, education and culture. Kherson’s main industries are ship-building and mechanical engineering. It is home to some interesting theatres, museums and monuments of architecture, such as the Greek-Sophia Church, built in 1780, the Gates of the Kherson fortress, built in the 18th century, and the Holy Spirit Churh with the Bell Tower, built in 1836.

Catherine the great was an extremely jealous woman and when she'd learn of a beautiful young lady in St Petersburg, if that young lady wasn't the daughter of someone very well connected, Catherine would have the girl banished from Russia.  Kherson and Nikaloev were two Ukrainian naval areas where these beautiful girls would be exiled. Lonely sailors were only too happy to have the ladies sent their way!  So the blood stock of beauty in that region is unusually high.

One of our RUA member's owns an agency in Kherson, Kherson girls. Here is that link.

Here is a good link to learn more about the city of Kherson.

Nice, modern apartments are good prices at this link. Recommended by RUA member Vinnvinny.

Offline AnfieldRiot

• Trips: 10-20
Re: Kherson - Херсон
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 08:31:06 AM »

I know most people will point me in the direction of Kevin from Khersongirls.com but I'd be curious to know if anyone on here has any ties to Kherson and travels there frequently or semi-frequently.   Trying to get some info on a sporting aspect of the city.

Offline Noname

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 11:41:54 AM »
Hi Anfield,

I visited Kherson In June/July of this year to meet someone (Not through Khersongirls.com). To be honest it was one of the worst Russian/Ukrainian cities i have been to visit. There was very little to see or do. I was told there was no public swimming pool anywhere (people swam in the river). The local football (soccer) stadium had closed down which was next to the prison and no one seemed to know where the team played.

Kherson seems to have been hit hard by the crisis. I was told unemployment was approaching 20%, although i do not know how true this is. The town centre was very small and with very few shops. It had a market. I travelled lightly as i intended on buying some cheap t-shirts for our trip to the Crimea, but i got a shock at the prices in the shops which were 2 or 3 times what i would pay in the UK. Like most shops i have been to in the FSU , you get a shop assistant stick to you like glue.

Anyway, i did not go there to see the sites as there are only the normal soviet statues etc. It has one Irish bar/restaurant which was quite nice, although i did not meet any other foreigners there. It was not the easiest place to get to either. I had to fly from London to Kiev, then get an internal flight on a plane with  propellers that looked like it had been made in the 1950's to Odessa. Then from Odessa it was another 31/2 hours to Kherson by car.

Offline AnfieldRiot

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 10:58:51 PM »

Thanks a lot for your insight into Kherson. I think I may be headed there in a few months, Nov. possibly. Most likely fly into Kiev and then either to Kharkov or Kherson...I'll know more as the time gets closer.

I knew Kherson wasn't an overly thriving metropolis but didn't know it was as bleek as you are saying. One would figure with the global economy being what it is that a city like Kherson would be effected rather hard, so I'm not overly surprised at it's current state.

Glad you looked into their football team as that is one of my main interests in going to Kherson. Their football team, Kherson FC ( it's gone by a few different names over the years) went into adminstration about three years ago and dropped into the amateur leagues but folded altogether about two years ago. The history of the club is interesting but it's never won any trophies and only had a slight taste of top flight football in the old Soviet 1st Division. The stadium, Stadion Krystal, is fairly average and is set up like your normal lower division easter european park.  As to my interests I run a footballing business here in the states and was looking to link up with this city/team in the hopes of punting players over to them and also over here. With being based in the states it's obviously not so easy to get everything tied together or in the very least get some solid communication going, hence my interest in finding someone who is in the area or at least knows someone in the area.

Stadion Krystal :

Offline Noname

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 06:32:34 AM »
The picture looks like the stadium i was told was not used anymore. Th flood lights are the same and also the TV station aerial/transmitter is visible as it is just across the road. I remember walking past it.

The stadium really was in a bad state of repair and did look as though it had just been left to rot. This picture must of been taken a few years ago.

Offline Fo

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 06:46:34 AM »
Mendeleyev

The first picture you posted. Is there a Tall ship coming out of the tree line on the left or do I need glasses? If it is where do I sign on.
Fly

Offline AnfieldRiot

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 07:23:08 AM »
Mendeleyev

The first picture you posted. Is there a Tall ship coming out of the tree line on the left or do I need glasses? If it is where do I sign on.

That's an elevated monument which stands on the shoreline.

Offline Fo

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 09:26:11 AM »
 :chuckle: Thanks man. I thought it was too good to be true.
Fly

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 02:28:50 PM »
It was not the easiest place to get to either. I had to fly from London to Kiev, then get an internal flight on a plane with  propellers that looked like it had been made in the 1950's to Odessa. Then from Odessa it was another 31/2 hours to Kherson by car.

It's much easier (IMO) to get to Odessa from Heathrow with Austrian Airlines (change at Vienna), Czech Airlines (change at Prague) and LOT (change at Warsaw).  Luggage is checked straight through and stop over times are short.

Offline Noname

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 02:58:16 PM »
It was not the easiest place to get to either. I had to fly from London to Kiev, then get an internal flight on a plane with  propellers that looked like it had been made in the 1950's to Odessa. Then from Odessa it was another 31/2 hours to Kherson by car.

It's much easier (IMO) to get to Odessa from Heathrow with Austrian Airlines (change at Vienna), Czech Airlines (change at Prague) and LOT (change at Warsaw).  Luggage is checked straight through and stop over times are short.

I did look at those routes Vinny, but i was put off because there was only about 50 minutes in between flights and it only takes the plane to be delayed a little from LHR to cause a problem. I hate trying to find my wayround airports i have not been to before in a hurry and you still have to go through passport control in these countries ? Also when you check bags in for the onward flight, it seems there is more chance of them losing your bag.
         I flew to Kiev and had a 3 hour stop over (it takes an hour to get through passport control) which was ok. When i got to Odessa i got off the plane and my "friend" was waiting by the gates with a car for the last leg to Kherson.

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 03:42:34 PM »

I did look at those routes Vinny, but i was put off because there was only about 50 minutes in between flights and it only takes the plane to be delayed a little from LHR to cause a problem. I hate trying to find my wayround airports i have not been to before in a hurry and you still have to go through passport control in these countries ? Also when you check bags in for the onward flight, it seems there is more chance of them losing your bag.
         I flew to Kiev and had a 3 hour stop over (it takes an hour to get through passport control) which was ok. When i got to Odessa i got off the plane and my "friend" was waiting by the gates with a car for the last leg to Kherson.

I’ve done it about 15 times (mostly with Austrian) and never had a problem. The flight (Austrian) is one of the first out of Heathrow (06h05) and I have never had a delay. The plane is parked overnight there so if it was delayed from an earlier trip it still has plenty of time to make it to London. The stop over in Vienna is 1.5 hrs but, as most passengers are coming in on connecting flights then it will wait (within reason) for all the connecting flights to arrive. I have never experienced a delay of more than 30 minutes on the Vienna-Odessa leg.

No, you don’t go through passport control and the connecting gate is not far from the arrivals hall (less than 5 minutes walk) and easy to find. The Heathrow-Odessa leg is serviced by an older Boeing but for the Odessa leg a nice new Airbus is used.  :)

Lastly, I have never arrived anywhere in Ukraine without my luggage so I guess we know what will happen next trip.  :(

Offline Noname

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 05:14:48 PM »
So you are getting passport control/customs in Odessa ? How long does it take to get through there ?

Also going through Vienna is about another £150.00 in the off peak period, but then it is only taking 6 hours to get there.

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 05:49:30 PM »
So you are getting passport control/customs in Odessa ? How long does it take to get through there ?

Also going through Vienna is about another £150.00 in the off peak period, but then it is only taking 6 hours to get there.

Yes, of course there is passport control at Odessa - I meant no passport control in Vienna.  :)

I usually get through quite quick but it has never taken me an hour at Kiev either. The trick is last off plane, last on bus, first off bus, first through passport control. Mind you, you have to adopt a Russian mindset and be prepared to do to some pushing and shoving and of course make sure you carry of stock of immigration forms and complete one before you travel.  :)

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 07:37:02 PM »

Thanks a lot for your insight into Kherson. I think I may be headed there in a few months, Nov. possibly. Most likely fly into Kiev and then either to Kharkov or Kherson...I'll know more as the time gets closer.

With being based in the states it's obviously not so easy to get everything tied together or in the very least get some solid communication going, hence my interest in finding someone who is in the area or at least knows someone in the area.

I have some friends from Kherson, what exactly are you trying to find out?

Offline Boris

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 08:09:09 PM »
The picture looks like the stadium i was told was not used anymore. Th flood lights are the same and also the TV station aerial/transmitter is visible as it is just across the road. I remember walking past it.

The stadium really was in a bad state of repair and did look as though it had just been left to rot. This picture must of been taken a few years ago.

I was thinking the same thing. I have been by it several times It is in bad shape but I am not sure if it is used anymore.

Offline AnfieldRiot

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 12:51:46 AM »

If you take a look at the attached photo you can see that the exterior is seriously falling apart... that photo is about three years old.  The stadium was most likely used two years ago and has gone dormant since then as that's when the local football club closed it's doors.  You tend to figure some races (motor) might have been held there as well as the inner loop seems to be set up more for motorcycle races then foot races so perhaps the odd motor race was held since the football club stopped playing but on the whole I'd say the stadium has been idle for 2 years.

It's a shame that the stadion isn't used anymore as while it's small and basic it still has a nice size to it and would be a fun place to watch a match even at half capacity.

Offline AnfieldRiot

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 12:59:23 AM »
I have some friends from Kherson, what exactly are you trying to find out?

I've been trying to find out who to contact from the local footballing association or someone who was apart of the local football club who played in the stadion Krystal. A seriously long story short, I'd like to enquire about trying to revive the club and help out the local youth players and combine them with some other footballers from Europe and America.

Offline khersonrent

• Kherson, Nikolaev apartments rental service. Transfers from Odessa, Kiev to Kherson, Nikolaev and othe cities
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 01:35:44 PM »
usually foreigners visit Kherson not for visiting stadiums:)

Offline Boris

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 06:21:56 PM »

Yes, it is true. That is not why I go to Kherson.  :)

When I was there in November it looked like the stadium was being used for a club match.

Offline AnfieldRiot

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 10:43:32 PM »

I'm not you're usual foreigner.

Do you know if the old Kherson football club is ever going to come back ? Shame to see that stadium rot and not be used by a local FC or any sort of activity.

Offline khersongirls

• Commercial Member
  • KhersonGirls Marriage agency
    • KhersonGirls
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 11:38:47 AM »
This is my kherson yahoo group that is a good source of information from guys who are traveling there often. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/khersongirlsoffice/

Offline Raspberry

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 08:39:58 PM »
A word to the wise.......getting from Odessa by train takes longer than most people think. The trains are slow anyway, but they also take a very twisted route. (Look at the train route on a map, and you'll understand).

I found this out as I had to go from Sevastopol to Odessa. Took a cab and spent the day in Simferopol. Getting to the top of Crimea by train was no surprise. But taking the route via Kherson/Nikolayev seemed to go on and on.

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 08:48:17 PM »
A word to the wise.......getting from Odessa by train takes longer than most people think. The trains are slow anyway, but they also take a very twisted route. (Look at the train route on a map, and you'll understand).

I found this out as I had to go from Sevastopol to Odessa. Took a cab and spent the day in Simferopol. Getting to the top of Crimea by train was no surprise. But taking the route via Kherson/Nikolayev seemed to go on and on.

Very true.
The main routes are Kiev -> Odessa and Kiev -> Crimea, so the east - west routes are much more limited and slower. (If you lived near the Odessa Black Sea, why would you need to go to Crimea?)