The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Georgia: A country of Mountains and beautiful beaches  (Read 8575 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Georgia: A country of Mountains and beautiful beaches
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 11:34:04 AM »
Cool! 

Bill, based on your signature I now realize that my doctor must be Georgian. He speaks with a southern accent but with a last name like Smith I hadn't picked up on it. However, his handwriting is much like your signature! დიდი მადლობა

:chuckle:  Guess he is definitely Georgian.  :)

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 02:06:21 PM »
Religion in Georgia

Georgian Apostolic Autocephalous Orthodox Church (Georgian: საქართველოს სამოციქულო მართლმადიდებელი ავტოკეფალური ეკლესია) is one of the world's most ancient Christian Churches, and tradition traces its origins to the mission of Apostle Andrew in the 1st century. It is an autocephalous (self-headed) part of the Eastern Orthodox Church since 4th century A.D. Georgian Orthodoxy has been a state religion in parts of Georgia since the 4th century, and is the majority religion in that country.

Famous Georgian icon.

The Constitution of Georgia recognizes the special role of the Georgian Orthodox Church in the country's history but also stipulates the independence of the church from the state. As a member of the worldwide Orthodox communion, Georgia and Russia share a common religious heritage.

Mountain chapel, mountain monastery.

St Nino, a Georgian patron Saint.

Those of the Jewish faith have felt comfortble in Georga until the Soviets gained power. Today the Jewish community, which numbered about 100,000 as recently as the 1970s, has largely emigrated to Israel, the United States, the Russian Federation and Belgium. As of 2004, only about 13,000 Georgian Jews remain in Georgia.

Georgia has a long history of religious harmony within its borders despite the historical conflicts with the surrounding nations. Different religious minorities have lived in Georgia for thousands of years and religious discrimination is virtually unknown in the country. Azerbaijani groups have practiced Islam in Georgia for centuries.

Muslim Mosque in Tbilisi.

Offline Fo

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 12:29:18 PM »
Was Georgia ever part of Turkey? I know St George (patron St of England) is supposed to be Turkish originally but the flag people are carrying in the parade is almost the same as the English part of the Union Jack. Red cross on a white background.

Mendel

If I ever go to Georgia I'll be about 4 stone heavier by the time I leave! And hashish cheese!! That'd keep you warm in the winter.  :chuckle:.
And make you feel cool in the summer  :chuckle: 8) :smokin: 8)
Looks like you're always well fed on your travels anyway.
Fly

Offline Manny

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 03:53:36 PM »
St George is also an Orthodox saint; we have a few icons of him. As a Brit, they have double significance to us.

However, we are not alone. Saint George is the patron saint of Aragon, Catalonia, England, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Bteghrine, Cáceres (Spain), Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, Gozo, Pomorie, Qormi, Lod, Barcelona and Moscow. (Says Wiki)
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Fo

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 05:31:37 PM »
He gets about eh.
Fly

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2009, 12:32:08 AM »
I ADORE Georgian food and wine.. there was a GREAT Georgian restaurant in Geledjik.. a place I think Mirror went on holiday. When its cold and windy, by the Black Sea, nothing better than a bracing walk followed by a bowl of Kharcho, served with warm Lavash and a bottle of Kindzmarauli

Kharcho :  http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=1C1GGLS_en-GBGB299GB303&q=kharcho&btnG=Search&meta=

Lavash:  http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=1C1GGLS_en-GBGB299GB303&q=Lavash+bread+Georgia&btnG=Search&meta=

Kindzmarauli:  http://www.selectwinesllc.com/kin19sem.html

Questions..
1/ would those in the know say Kharcho is a soup or a stew?!
2/ Kindzmarauli - do YOU think this is a sweet wine.. the idea of it being sweet always put me off until I TRIED it...Is this still hard to find, now, in Russia?

GREAT thread, GREAT photos.. keep 'em coming, please..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline mirror

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2009, 06:52:14 AM »
Karcho...mmm...delicious! When we were visiting Georgia ,we ate it with putting a lavash inside a dish and it it has a great taste.Karcho is not like a soup..it is something more dense.
You forgot about chily red pepper.  :-\

Kindzmarauli ,moby,no you can't find it in Russia.No any trade between our countries. But if you have friends there then no problems.

When I was in Gelendjik one Georgian man were inviting me to visit him in Georgia and he promissed me this wine (this wine is my favorite wine).

Georgians are famous with their great hospitality but I didn't take a chance to visit this lovely country by this man's private invitation.

Offline Manny

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2009, 03:48:24 PM »
He gets about eh.

He did.

And if you find yourself one day regaling some orthodox FSU bird of your extensive knowledge of St George, be advised they pronounce "George" as "ghee-org" or "ghee-org-ee" depending on where you are.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2009, 01:58:13 PM »

Georgians are famous with their great hospitality but I didn't take a chance to visit this lovely country by this man's private invitation.

:)

Hi, Mirror.. I'm sorry that the trade is STILL "difficult".. I expect Kindzmarauli commands a VERY high price on the "black market" ;)

Talking of things Georgian WHO has seen the Georgian Ballet Company ? .. If you see it advertised ...GO.. it is NOT like a Ballet who have ever seen ...

Offline 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 10:45:20 AM »

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2010, 01:52:46 PM »
Here are some Georgian Nature videos

Georgian Cultural video
music, dance, and traditional dress etc.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2010, 02:23:29 AM »
It seems all is not as quiet as the locals wish it in the mountains :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11398929

Can it be that land is allowed to be 'appropriated' in such a fashion ?

Offline alenika

I close eyes to see better