The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian/Ukraine women  (Read 40021 times)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Russian/Ukraine women
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2009, 06:11:36 AM »
If Lena is in the Netherlands on a Schengen Visa can't you just take her to Paris for a long weekend?  I'm sure she'll be able to find some stylish clothes there.  When my ex and I lived together we went to Europe and spent a week in Paris, mostly shopping, she shopped and I carried the packages.

Paris hasn't got good fashion too, the closest would be czech or romania. (Although , I am sure Italy would do too,  but its too far)

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2009, 06:19:06 AM »
If Lena is in the Netherlands on a Schengen Visa can't you just take her to Paris for a long weekend?  I'm sure she'll be able to find some stylish clothes there.  When my ex and I lived together we went to Europe and spent a week in Paris, mostly shopping, she shopped and I carried the packages.

Paris hasn't got good fashion too, the closest would be czech or romania. (Although , I am sure Italy would do too,  but its too far)

And you don't want to see the prices in Milan  :-X Flights should be do-able with Ryanair from Eindhoven ;) About EUR 60-80 including taxes when you book early (a few weeks ahead) ;)

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2009, 10:12:58 AM »

If Lena is in the Netherlands on a Schengen Visa can't you just take her to Paris for a long weekend? 

I'm sure she'll be able to find some stylish clothes there. 

They've already been in Paris in August, if I'm not mistaking?

For clothes / shoes / handbags shopping in this area I'd recommend

http://www.lavalleevillage.com/LaVallee/home.asp?lan=en

R1 direction Disneyland, descend 1 stop before end station + 5 minutes walk.

Paris hasn't got good fashion too, the closest would be czech or romania.

(Although , I am sure Italy would do too,  but its too far)

Czech or Romania??  :o  :o  Having good fashion?? Excuse me, I was not aware that Armani, Versace, Prada, Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana and Valentino are Czech and \ or Romanian names...

And you don't want to see the prices in Milan  :-X

Why not? Lower than in Moscow anyway...

And, if you can rent a car, going to Serravalle http://www.mcarthurglen.it/serravalle/home/home.php?lang=en would save you from 30% till 70% of city boutiques prices.
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline nunya

• RIP
    • First Dream
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2009, 10:31:31 AM »

Jack it is quite obvious that a number of these women are posing for the photos or at least know that they are being photographed, but what about the women who don't know that they are being photographed?  Don't you worry that they may call the police if they see you?

No WestCoast, I never worry or consider this as a problem. It's perfectly legal. These people are in the public domain. Just as it would be perfectly legal to take Brad Pitt's photo if I saw him out and about walking.

Even in Ukraine if a cute young girl smiles nicely at an Ukrainian police officer that officer might come over and at least slap around some older man

If I have my passport and immigration paper on me I have no concerns at all with the Ukraine police.   If I have my passport on me and my visa is properly registered I have no concerns with the Russian police. 

and if they find out that that older man is an American then they might bring out their baton and use it to slap that man around. 

In fact as Americans (and I am sure other foreigners as well but will only relate to Americans) it is quite the opposite and highly unlikely we would see the wrong side of a baton. We are able to do things that the local Ukraine and Russian citizens cannot do.  I have no problem in standing up to Ukraine and Russian police if I am in the right. If their is a problem we can call the American Embassy as well if I ask what the police offer's name is, by law, he has to give this to me.  I think many Ukraine men would not dare ask the police officer for his name in a heated discussion, he might very well see the officer's baton.

Now on the other hand when, if, I am in the wrong, let me reach for a $20 (or $100) real quick and try to get this problem resolved.

Seriously don't you worry about your safety when photographing these women?  If the Ukrainian cops don't rough you up, maybe a husband or boyfriend might?

Police, no.  Husbands, boyfriends, yes, there is always that possibility. I've certainly had boyfriends (or husbands) staring at me before but none have ever said anything to me.

:popcorn: 

Ada

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2009, 06:04:06 AM »

Paris hasn't got good fashion too, the closest would be czech or romania.

(Although , I am sure Italy would do too,  but its too far)

Czech or Romania??  :o  :o  Having good fashion?? Excuse me, I was not aware that Armani, Versace, Prada, Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana and Valentino are Czech and \ or Romanian names...

Ok, I don't know why, but I need to say something here... Olga_Mouse, I think when Markje said fashion, he didn't necessarily meant designer's clothing, although one can find them in Romania too... Not everybody is snob loaded. A woman can wear nice and tasteful outfits also without choosing Armani, Gucci or Versace; that doesn't mean she's not 'in good fashion'.  ::)

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2009, 08:19:55 AM »

Ok, I don't know why, but I need to say something here...

Olga_Mouse, I think when Markje said fashion, he didn't necessarily meant designer's clothing,

Sorry for misunderstanding then... to me those two notions are synonyms  ::)  As in most cases "everyday wear" companies like Zara, Sasch, Motivi, etc. are copying the trends set by the big fashion houses anyway...

although one can find them in Romania too...

I presume well known international brands have their boutiques in Bucharest as well; but I doubt the prices are much lower than in Italy, France or Spain?

Not everybody is snob loaded.

A woman can wear nice and tasteful outfits also without choosing Armani, Gucci or Versace; that doesn't mean she's not 'in good fashion'.  ::)

Oh surely  ;D  Something from Dasha Zhukova's "Kova & T" label could surely be an acceptable replacement :)

After all, there's Armani Exchange for those who can't afford Armani's first line, D&G for those who can't afford Dolce & Gabbana, and even G from Guess for those who can't afford Guess by Marciano  :innocent:

Offline Jared2151

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2009, 08:49:17 AM »
Darn it Nunya, enough with the pictures.

I'm tired of cleaning carpet lint off of my tongue.   :chuckle:

Offline nunya

• RIP
    • First Dream
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2009, 01:11:33 PM »

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2009, 01:47:06 PM »

Jack it is quite obvious that a number of these women are posing for the photos or at least know that they are being photographed, but what about the women who don't know that they are being photographed?  Don't you worry that they may call the police if they see you?

No WestCoast, I never worry or consider this as a problem. It's perfectly legal. These people are in the public domain. Just as it would be perfectly legal to take Brad Pitt's photo if I saw him out and about walking.

It's certainly not illegal, but am I the only one that thinks it's a bit creepy for a man to be taking pictures of numerous strange attractive women on the street?  Kinda seems like an invasion of privacy. 
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline fireeater

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2009, 02:01:09 PM »

It's certainly not illegal, but am I the only one that thinks it's a bit creepy for a man to be taking pictures of numerous strange attractive women on the street?  Kinda seems like an invasion of privacy. 

Mendy provides us with historical pictures and other places of interest to see.  :reading:

Do you think that is the only reason to visit, and the only sights of interest.  :innocent:

Offline nunya

• RIP
    • First Dream
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2009, 02:24:48 PM »

Ada

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2009, 02:43:44 PM »
Olga_Mouse, I think when Markje said fashion, he didn't necessarily meant designer's clothing,

Sorry for misunderstanding then... to me those two notions are synonyms  ::)  As in most cases "everyday wear" companies like Zara, Sasch, Motivi, etc. are copying the trends set by the big fashion houses anyway...

A woman can wear nice and tasteful outfits also without choosing Armani, Gucci or Versace; that doesn't mean she's not 'in good fashion'.  ::)

Oh surely  ;D  Something from Dasha Zhukova's "Kova & T" label could surely be an acceptable replacement :)
After all, there's Armani Exchange for those who can't afford Armani's first line,[...]  :innocent:

It's a matter of interpretation.. to me they are not synonyms, each fashion house has it's own line or 'signature'; yes, they set out trends, some of which, of course, get copied into series production... But being in fashion would mean following certain lines or trends, not necessarily wearing the actual designer's creation. I agree that would be ideal, but not many people do that.
Do you go to the near-by store in an Armani outfit?

although one can find them in Romania too...

I presume well known international brands have their boutiques in Bucharest as well; but I doubt the prices are much lower than in Italy, France or Spain?

You presume well.  :biggrin:

P.S.: I've never heard of Dasha Zhukova  :-X

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2009, 03:02:42 PM »
Mendy provides us with historical pictures and other places of interest to see.  :reading:

Do you think that is the only reason to visit, and the only sights of interest.  :innocent: 

I enjoy pictures of pretty young girls as much as the next man.  However, something just doesn't seem "right" about a middle-aged man taking so many pictures of strange ladies on the street without their permission or knowledge.  I'd classify it as low level stalking.  However, it's certainly not illegal and others are free to form a different opinion.  In addition, I think I can make my point without using the same primitive or crude personal insults Jack likes to use.    
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline nunya

• RIP
    • First Dream
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2009, 03:04:28 PM »
BS BS, if you think the photos are creepy looking, then DON'T look. It's real simple.   

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2009, 03:47:24 PM »
In Jack's defense and I'm sure he doesn't need any help, I've seen men far younger and probably older than him taking pictures of women in Europe.  In places like Paris or London, or Italy, wherever you find beautiful women you'll find men taking their picture. 

Even in North America, places like Los Angles and Las Vegas that attract lots of women wearing revealing or fashionable attire you'll see men with cameras and if you follow the camera angles you'll see that they're photographing the women and not the landscape.

In fact the only time I've actually seen any official interference, meaning police, in the taking of pictures was on a "clothing optional" beach in France, where photography was prohibited and the prohibition was actively enforced.

So Jack if you want to post the pictures and Manny isn't going to delete them then I'll certainly look at them, some maybe more than once. :laugh:
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline fireeater

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2009, 04:00:19 PM »
Time out

For women it is the clothes, somehow they can hold a discussion on fashion for hours at a time, and never tire of it.    :saint:   

For men, it is what is in the clothes.   :bow: :bow:

Time in

Offline erudite

• Kharkov is a GREAT CITY!!!!!!
  • Spouses Country: UKRAINE
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2009, 10:32:07 PM »
I have sort of been following this thread and I must admit it is MALE nature to look at a pretty woman even if he has no ill intentions. It is a reflex action because she is a thing of beauty and to be enjoyed. That is why she dresses and acts and walks the way she does. She wants the visual attention as long as it is not overt.  When you stop looking at pretty women, you need to be under the daisies IMO. 

As for fashions and clothing, you can send them to Dallas-Ft. Worth Texas for a weekend. Dallas is a "made for the shopper" city.  It is a woman's paradise when it comes to shopping.  I suggest a weekend because she can spend enough money in a weekend to suffice for a whole year of shopping and she could probably do it in just one major shopping center.   tiphat
"It don't matter who's in Austin, Bob Wills is still the King", Waylon Jennings

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2009, 03:57:30 AM »

It's a matter of interpretation.. to me they are not synonyms, each fashion house has it's own line or 'signature'; yes, they set out trends, some of which, of course, get copied into series production... But being in fashion would mean following certain lines or trends, not necessarily wearing the actual designer's creation. I agree that would be ideal, but not many people do that.

I've never been to Romania, so have no idea about local fashion brands. The only Czech local brand I know is KenVelo - quite a nice design & low price. But you wouldn't be allowed to enter certain Moscow nightclubs, where "face control" usually means "turning out the labels", if you wear KenVelo...

Do you go to the near-by store in an Armani outfit?

Well... If I'm entering the nearby store on my way back from the office or some business-meeting, I might  :innocent:

In other cases I'd wear something more casual  ;D

You presume well.  :biggrin:

So, if they have the same prices in Romania as in (let's say) Italy, I guess a much smaller percentage of population can allow those items in Romania than in Italy...

P.S.: I've never heard of Dasha Zhukova  :-X

Roman Abramovich's girlfriend, recently named by American "Vogue" N.9 in Top10 of the most stylish women of the year.

She has her own clothes label in UK, and an art gallery in Moscow.

Ada

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2009, 04:48:08 AM »
yada yada yada...

I said you presumed right, thinking you might remember what you presumed... That is the prices may not be much lower, but they are lower.
Plus, we do have good designers here, even though they might not be as known internationally as you claim that Dasha whatever-is-her-name is (the fact that she is Abramovich's girlfriend would explain a lot... :money:).
Maybe you shouldn't say things about Romania if you havent't been here. Even if it is a way smaller country than Russia, that doesn't make the women less 'fashionable'.
I'm not talking here about 'certain nightclubs', we have those too, I'm talking about the way women usually dress, the way an objective eye would see them on the streets, and I'm sure no man here would stop to 'turn the labels' on their clothes while passing them by or asking them out. It wouldn't be necessary.  tiphat

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2009, 05:29:00 AM »
LOL - I have friends originally from Northern Italy (Southern Italians considered Terrones... of the Terra or Earth as in peasants) who are the major Fashion Merchants in Boston on the famed Newbury Street (All Straight, Married and with Kids in College) epicenter to the euro centric billionaire and multimillionare students from around the world (Including Russian Oiligarchs kids) and to a person they would never feature anything in their shops that did not come from an Italian designer only - never French or American or what ever - Italia UBER Alles.

They feature a lot of the next big names - the up and coming next generation of D&G, Vesace, Armani, Gucci, Prada, LaPerla, etc...  I knew one especially hot Italian girl with the face of an angel and mind like Satans sister whose father was from Calabria (Terrone) but he worked in Houstan as a plastic surgeon - specialty BBQ Fatectomies... She Refused to shop in Boston insisting all goods were last years Italian rejects and overstocks - that no self respecting Italian woman would ever be caught dead in last years LaPerla swim suit - she would only shop in Rome or Milan - oddly where the guys in the Biz went twice a year - and they all said that the secrect of the low costs at the factory stores in Italy - is the fashions are ALL MANUFACTURED IN ROMANIA except for the "designer showcase" factories still in Italy - you get Roman euro fashion sense, quality and skills at Asian costs :-X

Of course I being a fashio-not-ista go to the K&G fashion outlet warehouse and get the same $200 Italian factory Mock Turtlenecks for $20 and shoes, shirts, and jackets and tailored suits for about the same discounts - High end sport coats $99 to $199 - I have a good friend who has worked at Neiman Marcus mens department for 20 years (Straight) sells Brioni off the rack $1K to $3K per suit and custom goes even higher.

Go figure... of course I learned that the way to an FSUW's heart is a little Italo-Labeled goodie now and then - noticed they have a particular fondness for BVLGARI  :smokin:

Offline Paul

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2009, 07:29:18 AM »
...and they all said that the secrect of the low costs at the factory stores in Italy - is the fashions are ALL MANUFACTURED IN ROMANIA...

Yup, I've visited a city in RO that has an Armani factory  :)

BTW, from someone who has been to both Moscow and Bucharest a couple of times, there ain't a whole lot of difference in female fashion sense- both beat the US (NYC, LA, etc.) hands down any day of the week  :)

Offline nunya

• RIP
    • First Dream
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2009, 10:49:20 AM »

Additional Disclaimer :whistle:    :cop:

I certainly do not want to offend anyone by these photos, thus another warning, a disclaimer, as to the impressions expressed.

Again I, as a poster or two has also eluded to, see many of these woman as an art.  There style, dress, manner, beauty, all of it add's up to an art in it's self and to me art is meant to be shared.

I thought I had previously included most objectionable things one might find with the photos I have taken and am posting, I was mistaken.  :'(  Most photos are taken reasonably close to the ladies but some of these photos are taken from a great distance (usually the not so clear photos).  Many of those ladies do not know that their photo is being taken.  If you think such photos are "creepy", :rolleye0009: a form of stalking  :-X or invading the women's privacy, :knit: then you will not want to look at these photos.

For the rest of you  tiphat,  bon  appetite    :popcorn:    :popcorn:

Offline GreyScales

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2009, 01:51:34 PM »
At the risk of offending everyone...  :laugh:

Actually...  not offending anyone...  :laugh:

The thing I've noticed with women everywhere is this....  If a woman is confident in herself, her hair, makeup, clothing, carriage, etc...  YOU will notice it!

In the pictures Nunya has posted, to a T, every one of the ladies that I think are pretty are those that "care" about themselves.  As an American exposed to the trashy behavior of far too many American girls, seeing a girl in a skirt showing off her legs reminds me why FSU girls are the sexiest girls alive!  Or one in a pink top and tights.

To all FSU girls...   tiphat

GS

p.s.,

Keep the pictures rolling Nunya!  :)

Offline nunya

• RIP
    • First Dream
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2009, 01:16:53 PM »

Offline nunya