The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Minsk - Мінск - Минск  (Read 19029 times)

Offline Springirl

Re: Minsk - Мінск - Минск
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2010, 01:18:14 PM »
some photos from city day which was held on 11th of september!
Making shashlyk

Offline Springirl

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2010, 01:31:38 PM »
here is some goods  that people were salling

Offline Springirl

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2010, 01:33:28 PM »
here performance of old dance on the territory of one of museums
 PEOPLE,If you want to see more photos of Minsk , U may visite this page:
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,12322.new.html#new

Offline Raspberry

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2010, 04:19:37 PM »
Early in this thread, it said that Minsk-1 airport was closed. I was looking at the flight schedules between Moscow and Minsk, and I see that flights scheduled to MHP(Minsk-1)as well as MSQ(Minsk-2)......I presume that the airport had been re-opened between 2008 and today....right??

Offline Springirl

« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2010, 02:44:26 AM »
Early in this thread, it said that Minsk-1 airport was closed. I was looking at the flight schedules between Moscow and Minsk, and I see that flights scheduled to MHP(Minsk-1)as well as MSQ(Minsk-2)......I presume that the airport had been re-opened between 2008 and today....right??
it is re-opened, and now functioning ,most of the time it is FSU flights and international flights are from airport -2 (42 km out of Minsk) tiphat

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2017, 02:50:18 AM »
I'm not long back from a week away visiting the inlaws. My wife and I took my parents out to Belarus for the first time, taking advantage of the 5 day visa free rule and stoped off for a couple of nights in Prague on the way home.

My parents are well travelled but I wasn't sure what they'd make of BY. As it happens, they both absolutely loved Minsk and enjoyed the experience of rural Belarus. By the time we stopped in Prague, which was teaming with tourists, money exchange shops, souvenirs and other tourist tripe both my parents wished they had spent more time in Belarus. In fact my father told me he would happily visit Minsk again before even considering Paris, Rome, Barcelona or any other European capital now choked with Africans selling sun glasses & grams of coke.

Minsk has moved on yet again since my last visit and it didn't disappoint. Great value for money, fantastic hotels (we stayed at the new Hilton in the centre and it was better than any I've stayed at in the West), clean, safe, modern, very friendly people, great restaurants & bars and plenty to see and do. In my opinion, spending another couple of hundred quid on a flight to Minsk is far more rewarding than heading to the tourist traps in Western Europe.

My folks can be hard to please but they were stunned at how nice Minsk was. It can't be ignored that feeling safe is a factor these days but being able to leave your iPhone on a table whilst having a coffee speaks volumes. It had been discussed on more than one occasion, how good mass immigration actually is. So you heard it here - go visit Minsk and you'll have a great time.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2017, 08:42:57 AM »
I'm not long back from a week away visiting the inlaws. My wife and I took my parents out to Belarus for the first time, taking advantage of the 5 day visa free rule and stoped off for a couple of nights in Prague on the way home.

My parents are well travelled but I wasn't sure what they'd make of BY. As it happens, they both absolutely loved Minsk and enjoyed the experience of rural Belarus. By the time we stopped in Prague, which was teaming with tourists, money exchange shops, souvenirs and other tourist tripe both my parents wished they had spent more time in Belarus. In fact my father told me he would happily visit Minsk again before even considering Paris, Rome, Barcelona or any other European capital now choked with Africans selling sun glasses & grams of coke.

Minsk has moved on yet again since my last visit and it didn't disappoint. Great value for money, fantastic hotels (we stayed at the new Hilton in the centre and it was better than any I've stayed at in the West), clean, safe, modern, very friendly people, great restaurants & bars and plenty to see and do. In my opinion, spending another couple of hundred quid on a flight to Minsk is far more rewarding than heading to the tourist traps in Western Europe.

My folks can be hard to please but they were stunned at how nice Minsk was. It can't be ignored that feeling safe is a factor these days but being able to leave your iPhone on a table whilst having a coffee speaks volumes. It had been discussed on more than one occasion, how good mass immigration actually is. So you heard it here - go visit Minsk and you'll have a great time.

Excellent little trip report, thank you. At the end of it don't you mean to say how bad mass immigration actually is?

Safety is important as well it's probably nice to visit a place that's far less of a western tourist trap.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2017, 02:35:06 AM »

Excellent little trip report, thank you. At the end of it don't you mean to say how bad mass immigration actually is?

Safety is important as well it's probably nice to visit a place that's far less of a western tourist trap.

I see where you're coming from but I did mean that from what I said. Not sure if its a local or a British thing i.e discussing how good something is doesn't necessarily mean its good at all. I truly believe diversity is a rich ingredient but there's something to be said about western societies compared with more insular ones. Without opening a can of worms here, Minsk is a place where minorities are the minority and you either chip in or ship out. I can't think of a major city in Europe which can rival the respect, cleanliness, beauty or safety of Minsk. I was in Barcelona the week before Prague and both made me want to vomit. 

I could have padded it out a bit more and added photo's and detail but I'm too busy catching up with work since my return!  :snivel:

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2017, 04:47:54 AM »

I am so glad your parents had a great time, Rosco! Minsk is one of the (very few) destinations i still plan to visit. Whomever has been there - loved it. I think it would be quite prejudiced to expect a grown up Westerner not to like Minsk. For what i've heard of the city - of the architecture, tidiness, safety, and last but not the least - people being friendly and nice, it's impossible not to like it. Even more so, that most of us are sick of the dark side of 100% westernized civilization, all the advertising, shopping mentality and so on  (:)
And, judging by Mrs. Rosco, i bet your in-laws are great people.
I envy you on the possibility to travel there - in the best of ways  :)
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2019, 04:35:02 PM »
Nice video of Minsk. I'll have to go visit there someday.

Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2019, 01:37:38 AM »
Search Bald man  Belarus for many vids from different cities there ..

This bald guy is British - from the south of England and speaks Russian

I cannot take credit for finding him, that's down to a v.knowledgeable chap who used to live in RU and had to move to Ukraine - his FSU  travel reports are much missed here

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline HoundDaddyLee

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2019, 03:31:49 AM »

Tom Cat,

Minsk is a beautiful city. The Great Patriotic War museum is a must see (block out a full day). I highly recommend the Minsk Marriott. Superior rooms (get one overlooking the river) and a top notch restaurant.

Good luck,
HDL

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2019, 07:52:23 PM »

Tom Cat,

Minsk is a beautiful city. The Great Patriotic War museum is a must see (block out a full day). I highly recommend the Minsk Marriott. Superior rooms (get one overlooking the river) and a top notch restaurant.

Good luck,
HDL

Thanks for the recommendation,  I will definitely keep
 that in mind when I'm at the planning stage.

Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.