The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Guide books published in Russian  (Read 1010 times)

Offline erudite

• Kharkov is a GREAT CITY!!!!!!
  • Spouses Country: UKRAINE
  • Trips: 5-10
Guide books published in Russian
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:48:10 AM »
Hello again fellow members.  I come with my hand out again for some advice or pointers on a subject that may be all to famliar with you, but it is not to me.

Since most of the women that I have corresponded with do not have ready and easy access to the internet and actually most of them are not even aware of the knowledge base or how to search the internet.  I would like to find a book or some books that are published in the Russian language that will tell about the USA, its culture, people and everyday life in a balanced manner such as a guide book like Fodor's etc. and some of the other good ones.  Also looking for books that have pictures and tell about everyday life in the USA.  A book that is APOLITICAL or NONPOLITICAL. Does one even exist?

One I am going to meet wants me to tell her "everything" and I don't think I will live that long let alone be knowledgeable to tell it.  So I need to find her a book or books.  I think a lot of these women who seek marriage overseas and are genuine are at such a disadvantage without the knowledge base to access about their possible new home and the countries they are considering. As for us, we have access to knowledge bases and this forum which help us tremendously. But the women cannot even really get to a forum without a computer or the internet and then who knows if the forum is unbiased?

So I ask for your advice and direction.  Thank you. tiphat
"It don't matter who's in Austin, Bob Wills is still the King", Waylon Jennings

Offline Jared2151

Re: Guide books published in Russian
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 10:33:22 AM »

One of the good ideas that I have heard is to purchase a book about your home state with plenty of pictures and history.  Usually,  state governments offer some pretty cool travel  booklets.  It would be a good starting point.

Also, make up some photo albums with points of local interest near your home.  A few of your neighborhood, etc.  Just be careful not to come off as a braggart ( this is MY car, this is MY house)  Sure, show her where you live, just tone it down.  If you have any hobbies, show her pictures of you participating in them. You get the drift.

I did find it amusing that you wanted items published in the Russian language that were apolitical.  Good luck with that one.

Offline froid

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 11:47:57 AM »
I did a few things for Mila. 

If there is any Russian population in your home area, find resources that they have.  Websites, papers etc.  I directed Mila to some Russian immigrant sites about Toronto which she really enjoyed. 

I bought her a book of "Canada's top 100 sights to see".  Many many pictures and in english, not a problem for Mila and because of the amount of pictures her son and everyone else in her family enjoyed it.  Mila just had to translate some when people asked about the images.

And one thing I did that Mila enjoyed was I took pictures of "A day in the life" of me.  Basically set my watch to go off every 30 minutes and took a picture of what I saw then.  From wake up, to commute, to work, to lunch to commute home and then a typical home evening. All of it.  No bragging involved because really...it is just a normal day. 
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline Jared2151

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 12:11:07 PM »
Froid - Now there's a keeper of an idea.  I like that.