The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Yekaterinburg - Ekaterinburg - Екатеринбу́рг - Sverdlovsk  (Read 6053 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Siberia and it's Cities:

One of the most famous Siberian cities is the site of the murder of the Tsar's family, the city of Yekaterinburg (Екатеринбу́рг).  It is ironic that this city named for the monarch Catherine I was the "end of the line" for the Romanov dynasty.

Ekaterinburg/Yekaterinburg (Екатеринбу́рг)

So which name is correct?  Ekaterinburg or Yekaterinburg?

That is a common question so let's get an answer.  In Russian the letter E is pronounced as YE, so Екатеринбу́рг is spoken as "YE-kata-rin-burg." As it begins with the letter E, often thats the way it's transliterated over to English in written form.  When speaking remember that Ye is spoken quickly and literally slurred into the 'kah-te-rine-burg.' Hope that helps.

The city was founded by Vasily Tatischev and named after Saint Catherine, the namesake of Tsar Peter the Great's wife Empress Catherine I (Yekaterina). The official date of the city foundation is November 18, 1723.

Like a lot of cities there is a prominent memorial to V I Lenin and the main street is "Lenin Prospeckt."  During the Soviet period the city name was changed to Sverdlovsk (after a hero of the Red Army during the revolution) and the city is capital of the Sverdlovsk region.  One of the more famous governors in recent times was Boris Yeltsin who would go on to play a key role in the downfall of Communism and the formation of the Russian Federation.

Pushkin memorial

On May 1, 1960 an American U-2 spy plane, piloted by Francis Gary Powers while under the employ of the CIA, was shot down over Sverdlovsk Oblast. Powers was captured, put on trial, and found guilty of espionage. He was sentenced to seven years of hard labour, though he served only about a year before being exchanged for Rudolph Abel, a high-ranking KGB spy.

Yekatrinburg  is the iron ore and coal mining capital of Russia.  In 1723, Yekaterinburg was built as a metal factory and fortress and the dam was used to power the forge.  Yekaterinburg represents the best of Russian Siberia and the Ural mountains.

There is a tradition where lovers come to a local bridge and attach a padlock to the bars with their names engraved or painted on it. Many cities in the FSU share this tradition.  The official diving line between the Asian continent and the European continent is in Yekaterinburg.  There is a monument, a large stone/concrete line, and those who step across from one side to the other can receive a certificiate that they've crossed the continents!

Monument of the Black Tulip (or Black Rose). This is huge war monument to the soldiers who died from 1979-1989 in Afghanistan. Rather than standing in triumph, the monument is of a kneeling solider, head downcast and framing the figure are curved pillars featuring the names of the city's dead, representing the walls of the transport aircraft that returned the dead soldiers.

Monument to all lives lost in Yekaterinburg area Gulags during Stalin's purges.

The bodies of the Romanov family were burned in a forest just outside Yekaterinburg and then buried in an abandoned coal mining pit.  The Church believes that in a specific pit at the site, the Romanov bodies were incinerated. Around this pit they have built the Monastery of the Holy Martyrs. Sitting amidst huge forest trees are seven wooden churches, one for each member of the Romanov family.

Yekaterinburg's Church on the Blood, built on the spot where the Ipatyev House once stood.  It was in the basement of the Ipatyev house that the Royal family was murdered.

Yekaterinburg at night.

Offline Raspberry

Re: Yekaterinburg - Ekaterinburg - Екатеринбу́рг - Sverdlovsk
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 08:30:46 PM »
I haven't heard about any "drive-by" shootings here lately. Have the mafia wars calmed down??

Offline BURNT

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 10:15:42 PM »
I haven't heard about any "drive-by" shootings here lately. Have the mafia wars calmed down??
Yeh, as far as I know its long gone.
The Mash took it all. Years ago.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 12:02:37 PM »
Hotels:

Best one is Hyatt Regency:

http://ekaterinburg.regency.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-ekaterinburg-regency/index.jsp?null

Plus: great breakfast buffet, well-trained staff, fantastic view from the swimming pool on the top floor.

Minus: the fact that this hotel has 5 stars doesn't mean that they do always have running hot water! After a group of people who checked-in at 03:30 waited for a chance to take shower till 05:30 - and then went to bed without showering - the owners of foreign passports got fruit plates as an excuse; the Russian tourguide surely got nothing  (:)

Second best: Atrium

http://atriumhotel.ru/eng/

Airport:

Quite decent one  :nod: Many cafés with reasonable prices, smoking area next to WC downstairs, and many little shops. Always control your bills if you'd buy something in Accessorise after security check: the girls working there tend to add some items they wanna have for free to foreigners' bills  :saint:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Jeffery

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
Hotels:

Best one is Hyatt Regency:

http://ekaterinburg.regency.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-ekaterinburg-regency/index.jsp?null

Plus: great breakfast buffet, well-trained staff, fantastic view from the swimming pool on the top floor.

Minus: the fact that this hotel has 5 stars doesn't mean that they do always have running hot water! After a group of people who checked-in at 03:30 waited for a chance to take shower till 05:30 - and then went to bed without showering - the owners of foreign passports got fruit plates as an excuse; the Russian tourguide surely got nothing  (:)

Did you pay the average 13000 Rub daily rates when you were there?
Ouch!

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 02:12:28 PM »

Did you pay the average 13000 Rub daily rates when you were there? Ouch!

Of course I haven't!  :knit: The inviting company did  :P
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Lizzchen

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 12:23:02 AM »
First of all, please, don't call us Siberia :). It is Ural. Ural mountains region.

I love this short video about my city, shown very beautiful, as it actually is ;)

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 12:31:49 AM »
First of all, please, don't call us Siberia :). It is Ural. Ural mountains region.

I love this short video about my city, shown very beautiful, as it actually is ;)

Ура!! Спасибочки! Спасибочки!
Amazing video! Your taste is impeccable!
Another beautiful Russian city!

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 08:25:51 AM »

Great video, looks beautiful there in winter!

Also love the chilled out version of 'BT - flamin June' played over the video.   :thumbsup:
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Maxx

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 11:21:48 AM »

Ekaterinburg was my first Russian city not counting Moscow which was a stopover from the flight over. It was June 2001.

My first surprise was debarking the plane onto the runway and then onto a trailer pulled by a truck. Although that was how I boarded the plane at SVO1. The second surprise was seeing black crows with white on their wings. Our crows here in the U.S. are all black.

I stayed at an apartment on the corner of Gagarin and Lenin street. There was this huge pothole in the middle of the street. So big and deep it was if any car drove into it it would be totally destroyed.

There was this trolly that ran down the middle of Lenin street past a military school. I had never been on a trolly before. Nice way to get around.

Another surprise I had was how the solders at the academy cut the grass. One had a sickle, another a rake and two others carried a litter (for carrying out wounded solders) for the grass clippings.

I was also surprised that rhubarb grew wild along the sidewalk. I suggested picking some to make a 'rhubarb and strawberry pie' but I was talked out of it.

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=21293.msg371042;highlight=paper#msg371042

The first time I traveled the the FSU was June 2001. On the way back my flight got diverted and I seen the Pentagon for the first time. It was pre-911.

After a few days in Moscow I traveled to Ekaterinburg. What surprised me the most in regard to food was what the grocery store was like. The first thing I noticed a young 20 year old guard dressed and gray and carrying a submachine gun. He sat in a chair by the entrance door and looked bored.

Then when we went to buy something it was all behind the counter. We chose the item we wanted and the woman behind the counter gave us a little scrap of paper. We went to other counters for various items like bread products, meats, candies, vegetables and so on. Each time getting a little scrap of paper. After we were done shopping we went to the cashier and gave her the little scraps of paper. We paid her and got other scraps off paper. We then went back to the various counters and exchanged these papers for food.

I found it odd that eggs were put loosely into a bag and not a carton. That milk came in a bag. That bags were brought from home or we would be charged for them. The butcher shop had a whole hogs head on the table. Kiosks were on every corner and one in between and vodka could be bought at them 24 hours everyday. 

The street corners had loudspeakers blaring Euro techno music. Avril Lavigne's "Complicated" was heard daily and so was t.A.T.u.s "All THe Things She Said" Russian language version of course.

Oddest thing I saw was the crows. They were black and white. The oddest thing I didn't see was any little animals, squirrels or rabbits. Not once in my 8 visits there. I figured they all got eaten.

Hard liquor and 2 liter bottles of strong beer sold at the concession stand at the movie theater. The movie show was "Pearl Harbor" in Russian of course. The RW I was with said "I didn't know about this event" but she did know America dropped the bomb on Hiroshima to test it.

and the large Church of Blood was not there. Just a small wood chapel

====================================================================

Ekaterinburg is forever in my heart. My favorite Russian city. I hope someday to return and get a proper tour. Also Chife ЧАЙФ is from there and are my favorite Russian band.

A photo I took of the concert I attended at the Children's Circus

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 07:02:28 AM »
Hi Lizzchen,

Since the Urals mark the divide between Europe and the East, westerners have often referred to it as the "start" of Siberia.
That timelapse video is fantastic, and gives a wonderful look to the city.

I have lived in Ekaterinburg part time since 2002 (2005 being full time) and my son was born there. I really enjoy my months there each year, but could live without anymore winter visits longer than a week :-)
The coldest day I ever had there was -42c, and I honestly thought I was going to die being Australian.
It is amazing how after a few weeks of -30s then a -15 sunny day feels balmy and we would head out to Shartash Lake for a BBQ and a few "anti-freezes"  :biggrin:
Never quite got into the winter swimming through the holes cut in the ice, though it was fun to watch!
Even funnier was the start of winter when the drunk youngsters would take their Lada's ice racing on the lake and occasionally find the ice not thick enough  :chuckle:
Other idiot activities included towing "water" bananas behind ski-mobiles (instead of boats) on the lake surface, which was great fun until the inevitable spill when you find out wind-blown ice is not smooth like Zamboni cut ice on a rink  :snivel:
A few of the winters were actually mild even for me. One I remember was "too" warm for the usual Childrens Ice Playground opposite the Duma building, which disappointed everyone. The warm weather played havoc with the Ice fishing also!

I think the place is well worth time spent. There is a brand newish airport, good hotels, some "pub breweries", decent night life...........but one of the worlds WORST Zoos! Do not go there if you are an animal lover  :GRRRR:

Offline Maxx

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 08:56:55 AM »
but one of the worlds WORST Zoos! Do not go there if you are an animal lover  :GRRRR:

I remember their zoo. I thought it interesting they have wild turkeys the kind we have here in Wisconsin all over the place. Also they had snapping turtles an other common critter here. 

Offline Lizzchen