The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Do You Send Money Back To Her Family And If So, How Much?  (Read 72434 times)

Offline Zabikol

Re: Do You Send Money Back To Her Family And If So, How Much?
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2010, 03:09:39 PM »
With all the experience at sending money in this thread, mind if I ask: Who would you recomend I look at for sending a large amount of money? I am talking about £6 000 range.
I would get a (pre-paid) Visa (Electron) or MasterCard card and put it on there. Then just hand this over in person (or send it by FedEx or so, would probably cost US$ 50,- or something)).

The fees for getting cash from ATM are quite low compared to Western Union, MoneyGram etc.

Thanks for the reply but I should have been clearer; my fault. I need to get the money to her to sit in an account and look like her funds for studies "provided by her parents" when the UK border agency are approving her application. The majority of that same money will then be used to actually pay the college here.  Thing is just I am not allowed to sponsor her.

If I open an account like that ^^^ I suspect UKBA will cry foul, I need something that looks like an account her folks created (so in Ukraine) and then I need to get all this money into it. (My first really was vague...sorry)

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2010, 03:33:26 PM »
Have her and her parents open a GBP/USD/EUR account each in Ukraine with a reliable bank.

Probably Raiffeissenbank is one of "the most reliable" Western banks in Ukraine through their Aval brand (http://www.aval.ua/en/). Transfer money from your UK account to her parents account. Then her parents transfer to her account and it looks like it's coming from her parents. I doubt the UK embassy would do a background check into where the funds in her parents' account come from :)

Costs for the transfer are probably somewhere between EUR 50,- to EUR 100,- I would guess.

I suggested GBP/USD/EUR in order to avoid unnecessary exposure to exchange gains and losses.

It might be worth to check with various UK banks you might hold accounts with to see which offer the best price for transfers to the bank in Ukraine where the accounts will be opened. My experience learned that prices can vary a lot from 1 bank to another.

Offline Zabikol

« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2010, 04:35:16 PM »
Thanks Herrie I will look into that, 50-100 euro transfer fee is not as bad as I was fearing. I still have some time left so can investigate some more before I decide.

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2010, 04:37:44 PM »
Thanks Herrie I will look into that, 50-100 euro transfer fee is not as bad as I was fearing. I still have some time left so can investigate some more before I decide.
I deal with international transfers for my daytime job on a regular basis and that seems to be the going rate. Can be cheaper, really depends on the banks involved.

USD and EUR seem to be the way to go in Ukraine. I think it won't be easy to open a GBP account as a consumer.

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2012, 05:03:27 PM »
A friend sent this joke and I hope it will fit this thread about sending money:

For several years, a man had been having an affair with an Italian woman.

One night, she confided to him that she was pregnant.

Not wanting to ruin his reputation or his marriage, he paid her a large sum of money if she would go back to Italy to secretly have the child.

Also, if she stayed in Italy to raise the child, he would provide child support until the child turned 18.

She agreed, but asked how he would know when the baby was born.

To keep it discrete, he told her to simply mail him a postcard, and
write “Spaghetti” on the back when the child was born.

He would then arrange for the Child Support Payments to begin.

One day, about 8 months later, he came home to his confused wife.

“Honey,” she said, “You received a very strange postcard today.”

“Oh, just give it to me and I’ll explain it later,” he said.

The wife obeyed and watched as her husband read the card, turned white, and fainted.

On the card was written:

Spaghetti, Spaghetti, Spaghetti, Spaghetti, Spaghetti.

Three with meatballs, two without.

Send extra sauce.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2012, 05:15:20 PM »

Not wanting to ruin his reputation or his marriage, he paid her a large sum of money if she would go back to Italy to secretly have the child.

Also, if she stayed in Italy to raise the child, he would provide child support until the child turned 18.

The wife obeyed and watched as her husband read the card, turned white, and fainted.

On the card was written:

Send extra sauce.

:ROFL:
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Vinnvinny

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2012, 06:26:38 PM »

On the card was written:

Send extra sauce.

All them kids!!! :o  That's past a joke!

Offline PBRstreetg

• Spouses Country: Беларусь
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »
put a debit card in her hand, then tell her the pin number, when she needs money, it'll be there.
love, Charlie
Разрушить всегда легче, чем построить. Обидеть проще,чем простить. И врать всегда удобней , чем поверить. А оттолкнуть намного проще, чем любить

Offline PBRstreetg

• Spouses Country: Беларусь
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2012, 04:18:23 PM »
Crank on America, Chase what Matters, be damned!
Разрушить всегда легче, чем построить. Обидеть проще,чем простить. И врать всегда удобней , чем поверить. А оттолкнуть намного проще, чем любить

Offline T.Dorfman

• Commercial Member
  • Very Happily Married and Always in Love
    • Russian Wife Help
  • Spouses Country: Latvia
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2014, 12:33:26 PM »
We send money occasionally as her parents need it. Generally it is in the winter time when heating bills are higher and times when medical or other unexpected expenses come in. Its great to help but as my wife agrees with me, you have to be cautious about what they are doing with that money. Make sure its not being wasted on alcohol or other things like that.
Happily Married, Author and internationally recognized marriage coach for over six years. My goal is for Men to experience the same overwhelming joy from a marriage to a Russian woman as I do. Always willing to help those in need of advice.