The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Kiev - Kiev - Київ - Ки́ев  (Read 7574 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Kiev - Kiev - Київ - Ки́ев
« on: June 08, 2008, 10:43:06 PM »
The Capital of Ukraine--Kiev: (Ukrainian: Київ; and Russian: Ки́ев)

Kiev is not only the capital of Ukraine, it was the first capital city of the unified Russian nation.  Simply, it is the birthplace of Russia.  Thus it holds a place of honour both in Ukraine and in Russia.

Kiev is a really beatiful city with its marvellous hills and unique sightseeings. Having bunch of trees and flowers it is always associated with chestnuts. Kiev architectural landscape is unique. Due to the huge number of orthodox churches it is called sometimes the Gold-Domed city.

Close to 3 million people call it home, this city along the Dnipro River is the bustling capital of Ukraine and one of the most beautiful in Eastern Europe.  Ancient Kievan Rus, which reached its greatest period of ascendancy during the 11th and 12th centuries, was a center of trade routes between the Baltic and the Mediterranean.

Often spelled as Kiev, (Kiev-Ukrainian: Київ) and (Russian: Ки́ев) Kiev is the capital and the largest city of Ukraine, located in the north central part of the country on the Dnieper River. As of April 2007, official municipal estimates placed the population of Kiev at about 2.7 million inhabitants.

ila_rendered

The city of Kiev and the power of Kievan Rus were destroyed in 1240 by Mongol invaders and the lands of Kievan Rus were divided into principalities located to the west and north: Galicia, Volynia, Muscovy and later, Poland, Lithuania, and Russia.

Once a powerful force on the European scene, Ukraine's fate in modern times has been decided in far-off capitals. As a result, modern Ukrainian history, for the most part, has been defined by foreign occupation. But after gaining the independence by Ukraine in 1991 it significantly restored it's political and economic weight.

Old town Kiev.

More great Kiev photos:
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=1670.0 taken RUA moderator Chris

and here

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=4880.0 taken by RUA moderator Mark

Offline mendeleyev

Re: Kiev - Kiev - Київ - Ки́ев
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 11:27:57 PM »
Kiev Historic places:

The Kiev-Pechersk Lavra with it's famous Saint Sophia Cathedral is one of the most popular places to visit in Ukraine.  This orthodox monastery was founded in 1051 by monks Antoniy and Feodosiy in caves close to Kiev.  By the 11th century the monastery had become a centre of expansion and consolidation of Christianity and chronicle writing in Kiev Rus.

1. Софійський собор
2. Дзвіниця собору
3. Будинок митрополита
4. Трапезна (тепла Софія)
5. Бурса
6. Брама Заборовського
7. Південна башта
8. Братський корпус
9. Мури
10. Хлібня
11. Пристінний корпус

By the end of 12th century there were defensive walls built around the complex. These walls were later destroyed later by Tatar hordes and in 1698 new walls with towers and loopholes were constructed.

The monastery is the burial-place of several outstanding historical persons, including Yuriy Dolgorukiy, founder of Moscow, and the legendary Ilya Muromets.  The architectural complex consists on more than 80 buildings.

Kiev Pechersk Lavra (Ukrainian: Києво-Печерська лавра; Russian: Киево-Печерская лавра) is also known as the Kiev Monastery of the Caves, a historic Orthodox Christian monastery in Kiev, Ukraine.  Since its foundation as the cave monastery in 1015 the Lavra has been a preeminent center of the Eastern Orthodox Christianity in Eastern Europe. It is also one of the four UNESCO World Heritage Sites within Ukraine.

Currently the jurisdiction over the site is divided between the state museum, National Kiev-Pechersk Historic-Cultural Preserve, and the Ukrainian Orthodox Church as the site of the chief monastery of that Church and the residence of its leader, Metropolitan Volodymyr.

When Prince Vladimir set out to choose a faith for Kievan Rus, he sent emissaries to collect information about various existing religions. When the emissaries returned from Constantinople, they were so awed by the Byzantine architecture and design of the Hagia Sophia that they did not know if they were "in Heavan or on Earth."

Yaroslav the Wise, who continued the Orthodox tradition by setting up centers of learning and law in Kievan Rus, also founded St. Sophia Cathedral in response to Rus's adoption of Orthodoxy. This cathedral, which has been many times rebuilt and added to, retains little of the original structure. However, St. Sophia Cathedral remains an important historical, cultural, and religious symbol for Kiev, Ukraine, and Orthodoxy.

Inspired by the Hagia Sophia in Constantinople, the stately church boasts world-reknowned frescoes, murals and mosaics.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 12:15:06 AM »
Saint Andrews Chruch:

Designed in 1754 by the Italian architect Bartholomeo Rastrelli, it is one of the few buildings to have survived intact with no reconstruction or significant damage. The single-domed cathedral, with its five lesser cupolas, seems to hover over the city.

Its site was chosen because it was here that the Apostle Andrew, who first preached gospels in Kievan- Rus, erected a cross. The church was built at the behest of Elizabeth, Peter the Great's pious daughter who visited Kiev in 1744.

St Andrews Church is a popular stop for Ukrainian couples to take wedding photos on the tall hillside stairs after their RAGS ceremony. 

St Andrews is actually sliding downhill at a very slow but steady rate each year.  The Ukrainian goverment has convened a special engineering committee to save the church from eventual destruction.

St Andrews Church leads down the hill toward the river on "St Andrews Way" one of the best known streets in the city.  Running down Andreyevskaya Hill the Anriyivskiy descent was the shortest way from upper town to Podil (down to Dnipro).  The St. Andrew's Descent is like a cultural centre for Kievans. Bulgakov lived there, the area around St. Andrew's Cathedral was the favourite place for walks for the famous Russian writer, Nikolay Gogol. The Richard's Castle is also located there.

Scholars believe that the apostle St. Andrew walked this way. Just few steps to the top of the hill he stopped and stuck his crozier saying that a city of God would grow on that place. In 1754 St. Andrew's Cathedral was designed by the Italian architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli. The single-domed cathedral with its five lesser cupolas seems to hover over the city. There is a picturesque path-way around the Cathedral.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 12:24:35 AM »
Kiev--Music and the Arts:

Kiev is a sophisticated city and offers plenty of opportunity to enjoy the fine arts.  From theatre to ballet to opera and orchestras, Kiev is definitely the standard bearer for culture in Ukraine.

National Theatre of Ukraine

Kiev Opera House

Grave of Vladimir Piradov, Chief Conductor of the Kiev Opera House and famous composer.

Large Movie Theatre

Kiev Symphony Orchestra

In the fall of 2008 the Kiev Symphony Orchestra and Chorus will take its ninth tour of the United States. The 160 members of the KSOC have performed in America's greatest halls, including the famous Carnegie Hall in New York City. Their programs include not only great Western classics, but also the rich musical heritage of famous Ukrainian composers such as Bortnyansky and Prokofiev.

For information:  http://www.musicmissionkiev.org/

The Kiev Ballet

Kiev Opera

National Museum of Art

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 01:39:02 AM »
Around Kiev:

Definitely a tourist attraction! Notice how ladies often walk "arm in arm" just like these two.  It's a part of Slavic culture among female friends.

New cadet graduates

Old town Kiev.  The Ukrainian language sign on this cafe says "Stariy Kiev" (Old Kiev).

Monument to world soldiers of Great Patriotic War (WWII), a rare Soviet acknowledgment that other Allied countries participated in the war effort....and not just the Red Army.

Kiev Train Station

The famous "Golden Gate" of Kiev

Out in the suburbs

Olympic Stadium

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 01:55:54 AM »
More Kiev:

The "Motherland" Statue

The famous "Red University" is named after Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko.  It was painted red as a protest against the Tsar and the colour, and the name, stuck.  Local Universities do accept foreign students, providing they have a basic command of the Ukrainian or Russian languages.

Ukrainian Foreign Ministry

Hotel Ukraine

Independence Square at night

Orange Revolution

Couple at RAGS

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 08:42:54 PM »
Kiev/Kiev

Kiev Metro map.

Overall, Ukraine has a well-developed and diverse transportation system. Ukraine railroad network is extensive and links major cities with industrial enterprises. Waterways such as the Dnepr River and the Black sea and Azov sea, and their port cities, play an important role in shipping.  The Ukrainian highway system comprises about 147,000 kilometers (91,000 miles) of paved roads. Ukraine subway systems exist in Kiev and Kharkov. There are major airports near Kiev (at Boryspil), Kharkov and Odessa cities.

Kiev in winter.

Kiev lady.

The President's official residence for ceremonial purposes is Mariyinsky Palace. Other official residences include the House with Chimaeras and the House of the Weeping Widow.

Offline AkMike

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 04:43:43 PM »
Picture 1 is the Lavra Monestary

Picture 2 same

Picture 3 is THE best restraunt in Kiev for Ukrainian national dishes.

Picture 4 is of the interior of the room/private building with a batch of tourists..

Picture 5 is of St Michael's statue in Independance Square

Picture 6 is the Friendship Arch showing the friendship of Russia and Ukraine. Just North of the Square.

Picture 7 is of the "Iron Maiden" seen from the Dnieper

Thomas Jefferson Quotation, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Offline AkMike

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 05:00:27 PM »
The Dandelion fountain in Independance Square with several of Kiev at night.

Thomas Jefferson Quotation, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 08:57:14 PM »
Mike, great shots!  Excellent work.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 09:19:43 PM »
More of the "Motherland" statue:

The Motherland monument is 9 meters taller than the famous Statue of Liberty.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 09:33:49 PM »
Kiev Metro

ila_rendered

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
Kiev Entertainment

Here is a listing of the most popular Kiev cinemas.

Kiev Art Galleries with addresses and phone numbers.

There are excellent museums in Kiev.

Guide to the historic old and magnificient Kiev churches.

Here are the Squares and Streets of Kiev which you don't wish to miss!

Kiev's most famous Parks and Bridges can be found here.

One cannot forget the historic and beautiful monuments of Kiev.

Restaurant information can be found here and can also be found here.

Bars, clubs, and other forms of entertainment can be found here.

Yaroslav the Wise just outside the Great Gate of Kiev (Kiev).

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 09:10:26 AM »
Handy RUA help for getting around Kiev:

If you need an Embassy address while in Kiev, it's right here.

Offline Christina

• Out Of Character
from me
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 01:11:04 AM »
 :)

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
Beautiful photos of Kiev Opera House and other Kiev attractions
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, 02:44:41 PM »
When I saw this photo of the Kiev Opera House I remembered how beautiful it is.  I was there for a performance last New Year's Eve.  It's a very impressive place.

Lots more photos of the opera house here (and other photos of Kiev):

http://englishrussia.com/2011/12/16/views-of-kiev-at-night/#more-83314

I'm not sure whether this post belongs in this part of the forum.  If there is a better place, feel free to move it, or even to fold it into some other topic.

Online 2tallbill

Re: Beautiful photos of Kiev Opera House and other Kiev attractions
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 04:20:13 PM »
Very nice Larry thanks for sharing
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2011, 10:10:15 PM »
Larry, nice!

Offline simo82

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 03:35:51 AM »
Larry this is something that im very much wanting to do in Jan 2012. I will be in Ukraine for a few weeks, and was wondering how much roughly this would cost, and also what kind of dress code this would be???
Sorry i have absolutly no clue as its something i would never usually go for, but i find im becoming a bit more cultured since i have been married  :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Larry

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 09:00:53 AM »
Simo82,
I don't remember the cost exactly, but I don't think it was expensive.  As for dress there, pretty much all the men were wearing coat and tie.

Offline simo82

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 10:10:38 AM »
ok Larry thanks, i will try to see on a website the costs.
Yeah dress code i thought was suite and tie...
cheers

Offline Larry

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 05:57:38 PM »
Simo asked about the dress expectations at the opera house.  Here's one photo my then-girlfriend made of  me inside. The people in the background might provide some idea of what people were wearing, but keep in mind it was a New Year's Eve performance, so it might be more dressy than usual:

Offline x633

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 08:51:40 PM »
Hello Everybody,
I don't post on boards normally.  My wife is from Kiev. We have been married three years.  I was in the opera house night of January 2nd (2012)  to see the ballet (Nutcracker).  Great seats.  Price was about $50.00 USD. Dress was varied.  I had on black sweater and black dress slacks. I was right in the middle.   

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 10:22:57 AM »
Hi,
can anyone resident now tell me of the current good nightspots, clubs restaurants.
Besides the tourist attractions which are easily found I am looking for the social opportunities to fill a week. Cheers