Information & Chat > Travel Discussion: Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Baltics & The Stans

Moscow - Airport To Train Station

(1/9) > >>

Chris:
Sheremetyevo 1 & 2 (SVO 1 & SVO 2)

Lots of people ontheir first trip to Moscow get worried when they have to make a connection between the two airports, there is n o need for this, it is really quite easy. This is one of the ways to get from SVO 1 to SVO 2 and visa versa as of March 2007.

If you land at Sheremetyevo 2 on an International flight and have to transfer to an internal Russian flight from Sheremetyevo 1 this is how you do it:-

Assuming you have come through customs OK which BTW took me ONLY 20 minutes? Don’t ask me why, but it was very quick, I had everything filled out ready on the plane before landing. (eg White Immigration card)

Collect your baggage then you then go out through the exit doors (same level) fighting the bloodsucking cabbies all the way until eventually you get them to acknowledge you know where you are going and don’t need their help  and you need to find one of the following buses, Numbers 817, 851 or 851C The cost of the bus is/was 40 Rubles and any of the above busses takes 20 minutes to get from SVO2 to SVO 1, if you take a suicidal Taxi Bus the cost is more but only takes 10 minutes. Cabs cost a lot more  ??? but you really don't need one!

(NOTE! They have a transit desk in the arrivals hall, it is for Aeroflot customers only and they provide a FREE transit bus, but you have to ask, they are not too hot in telling you about it ;) Also if you look on the  AeroFlot and SVO website they have a map to show where to pick up the free bus. )

When you get to SVO 1, you go into the left hand building which is Departures the right hand side building is Arrivals which is where you will come back through. Make a note of where the bus drops you off right outside the Terminal as this is also where you will pick it up on your way back from SVO 1 to SVO2

==
OK when arriving back at SVO 1, you go straight out of the Terminal exit doors again fighting of the bloodsuckers and turn right, about 50 yards down is the waiting busses, if there is no bus waiting, just stand at the bus shelter and one will arrive. Again make sure you get on Numbers 817, 851 or 851 C only, they will also say on a sign of the side of them Sheremetyevo 1 & 2 Just get used to reading the name in Cyrillic and you will be OK. OR learn to say Sheremetyevo Dva (Sheremetyevo 2) and you will be OK. When you arive at SVO 2 you will arrive on the upper level, that is where all International flights leave from.

A lot easier than people make out really. I have done it both ways on my own and didn’t have any problems. BTW Sheremetyevo 1 & Sheremetyevo 2 airports are actually attached to each other, they are just a couple miles apart across the runways, if you don’t believe me see my picture below (not very good quality I'm afraid), it was taken when I landed at Sheremetyevo 1 and the terminal of Sheremetyevo 2 is the building in the distance.

Chris

BTW….If you want to get a Metro into Moscow Centre, you can do so by using the buses and taxi buses to get to a local Metro station, which if I recall correctly is called Rechnoy Vokzal and it is about a 25 minute ride from SVO. It is about a 30 minute train ride to the City Centre from there. On my way into Moscow to save time I hired a Taxi, it took about an hour to the City Centre and cost 1000 Rubles, less if you know how to barter!

LEFT BAGGAGE

If you want to dump your baggage for a few hours at SVO 2 while you wait for your connecting flight, go down the escalators to the lower level in front of you and to the right is a LEFT BAGGAGE area, put it through the scanner and take it and place it on one of the shelves, the attendant will give you a tag which you keep to reclaim it later. Cost as at March 2007 is 100 Rubles for a day

vox11:

--- Quote from: Chrismc on May 24, 2007, 12:35:24 PM ---
Collect your baggage then you then go out through the exit doors (same level) fighting the bloodsucking cabbies all the way until eventually you get them to acknowledge you know where you are going and don’t need their help  and you need to find one of the following buses, Numbers 817, 851 or 851C

--- End quote ---

Note - use 817 to transfer from SVO2 to SVO1 , and 851(c) from SVO1 to SVO2.
Wrong number will bring you to Moscow metro station planernaya/ rechnoy vokzal. Also, minibuses are not guaranteed to visit both terminals, ask driver first.

chivo:
Just a FYI, number 48 takes you to Rechnoi Vokzal. ciao

chivo

Chris:
Thanks guys for your input, all this helps people who are travelling between airports and Moscow centre from getting hopelessly lost ;)

SLHF1000:
On my way out of Russia from SVO 1 to SVO2 a year ago, I was supposed to get a pre-arranged transfer... but no show, due to traffic I found out later.

After being hounded by "taxi" drivers, and repeatedly saying "nyet," I asked a pretty lady behind the thick glass for "avtobus - Shermetyevo dva" in my terrible Russian... she smiled and pointed the way... out the door, to the right.

Cramped,  crowded, my suitcase on my lap, but about 28 kopeks if I recall correctly. 

I'd come in via Domodedovo, which I highly recommend if you can do it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version