The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Checklist before you travel to FSU  (Read 125870 times)

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
Re: Checklist before you travel to FSU
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2010, 03:05:23 AM »

Question: I am making my first trip to Russia next week; Los Angeles to Novosibirsk via Moscow (Sheremetyevo). 

Our daily highs in Donetsk are now in the low 50s, but I'd imagine Novy Birsk is probably ten degrees cooler at least.

Thank you David!  :ROFL: You made my day  :innocent:

In Moscow, if I'm not mistaken, will change terminals if not airports - and lugging a large suitcase in such event is not pleasant.

The terminals verbally, BUT they are so far apart that the OP would need to locate the Aeroflot shuttle bus... as the construction of  terminal E which will connect F and D isn't finished yet  :biggrin:

SU flight from LAX arrives to SVO-F (ex SVO-2) at 18:35;

SU flight to Novosibirsk leaves from the new terminal SVO-D (originally planned as SVO-3) at 22:35.

4 hours connection shall suffice, IMO - even considering that the passport control & waiting for the luggage while arriving with LAX flight can easily take 1 hour 40 - or even 2 hours...  :-\
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2010, 03:36:10 AM »

The terminals verbally, BUT they are so far apart that the OP would need to locate the Aeroflot shuttle bus... as the construction of  terminal E which will connect F and D isn't finished yet  :biggrin:

SU flight from LAX arrives to SVO-F (ex SVO-2) at 18:35;

SU flight to Novosibirsk leaves from the new terminal SVO-D (originally planned as SVO-3) at 22:35.

4 hours connection shall suffice, IMO - even considering that the passport control & waiting for the luggage while arriving with LAX flight can easily take 1 hour 40 - or even 2 hours...  :-\

If the gentleman follows my advice (and Herrie's!) and travels with a carry-on and a laptop bag, he cuts out the "waiting for luggage" part and proceeds directly to passport control--ahead of the bulk of others from his flight. Thus, he is out of the first part much more quickly than most and on his way to the other terminal.

I am soon going to the U.S. for a visit of three to four weeks--with a carry on and laptop bag as luggage. In the U.S., I'll be replacing my old carry-on wheeled bag (a TravelPro, as it happens) with a soft-sided carry-on without wheels. that can carry more and be easier to stow in overhead bins. Combined with a decent shoulder strap, those are easy to carry--while the pavement outside terminals is often very bad, so the wheels are of limited value anyway.

In the U.S., I'll be buying a new laptop as they are much cheaper there. I intend to get a 13" machine, which will be far more portable than my present 15.6" one. Those I have my eye on are also lighter--under 4 pounds (3.7 kg or so). If I already had one that small and light, I'd be able to travel quite nicely just with the carry-on. In that event, for future trips I'll probably carry a small compressible bag for things l might pick up during the trip. I am looking both at convertible bags that have shoulder straps and can be used as a backpack as well as carry-ons that are only shoulder bags. I also use a cane these days for walking after a small amputation of a couple of toes. I can walk without it, but using it takes some of the strain off the foot.

The point is that there is no comparison between traveling light and traveling with large and heavy bags that must be checked. It's cheaper, faster, and much more convenient to travel with as little encumbrance as possible.

I plan to purchase quite a few things in the U.S. for our house here, so I'll probably check a sizable box on my return trip as that is still cheaper than sending the box separately.

David

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2010, 03:39:32 AM »
I prefer a hand luggage with 4 wheels by the way. It's a lot easier to handle compared to the ones on 2 wheels :) I got a nice Samsonite which is expandable to gain an additional 5 or so CM by using the intended zipper :)

Offline sloopiek

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2010, 08:42:05 AM »
This is all very helpful advice; I will do a "practice run" packing the suitcase(s) this weekend.  Unfortunately, most of what I am planning to take is gifts for in-laws, RWGF, etc.  The clothing I am planning on taking would probably fit in a backpack.
Now, if only the airspace between LA-Moscow-Novosibirsk can stay clear of volcanic ash...
Thanks again for the great advice!
Rich

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2010, 09:27:08 AM »

If the gentleman follows my advice (and Herrie's!) and travels with a carry-on and a laptop bag, he cuts out the "waiting for luggage" part and proceeds directly to passport control -- ahead of the bulk of others from his flight.

At SVO-F (and other Russian international airports that I know...  :-\ ) the passport control is BEFORE luggage claim area.

So, if the gentleman follows your advice (and Herrie's!), he might cut the "waiting for luggage" only - but he still has to be in the waiting line for passport control.

This one will most likely be VERY long, due to B) most Aeroflot flights returning from Europe to SVO-F between 16:00 and 20:00; and B) the aircraft serving the SVO - LAX - SVO route being particularly big ones.

Thus, he is out of the first part much more quickly than most and on his way to the other terminal.

He still has to locate Aeroflot transfer desk on the ground (arrival) level.

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2010, 09:52:01 AM »

At SVO-F (and other Russian international airports that I know...  :-\ ) the passport control is BEFORE luggage claim area.

So, if the gentleman follows your advice (and Herrie's!), he might cut the "waiting for luggage" only - but he still has to be in the waiting line for passport control.

Very interesting. At both airports in Ukraine I am familiar with -- Borispyl and Donetsk-- passport control and the luggage/customs lines were after baggage claim...as it is in several other Western airports I am familar with.

David

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2010, 10:15:51 AM »

Very interesting. At both airports in Ukraine I am familiar with - Borispyl and Donetsk - passport control and the luggage/customs lines were after baggage claim... as it is in several other Western airports I am familar with.

I'm talking about ARRIVAL.

Departure algorithm at SVO-F is the following:

- customs;

- checked-in luggage screening;

- check-in for the flight (getting rid of the luggage...);

- passport control;

- hand luggage screening & striptease... I meant, cavity search  :chuckle:

Offline 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2010, 11:44:47 AM »
There is a Free shuttle between SVO1 & 2

There will be a dozen lying cab drivers telling you it's not working /
on holiday / discontinued / on strike / alien abduction etc and that you
should give them $70 + dollars for them to take you to the other airport.
I would highly recommend getting instructions how to find this shuttle
before you wade into the pack of bandit cab drivers.

I found a kind babushka to lead me to it last time.

Udachi

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2010, 12:12:51 PM »

There is a Free shuttle between SVO1 & 2

Beeel, do please make one of your special efforts and read carefully:

- sloopiek is flying from LAX to OVB via SVO;

- means he's arriving at SVO-F (ex SVO-2);

- and leaving from SVO-D (ex SVO-3).

He does NOT need to go to SVO-B (ex SVO-1).

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2010, 01:22:19 PM »
A map of Moscow - (SVO) Sheremetyevo International Airport 

andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline 2tallbill

« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2010, 02:11:55 PM »

Beeel, do please make one of your special efforts and read carefully:

- sloopiek is flying from LAX to OVB via SVO;

- means he's arriving at SVO-F (ex SVO-2);

- and leaving from SVO-D (ex SVO-3).

He does NOT need to go to SVO-B (ex SVO-1).

OM, I could read his post 500 times and NOT know what you just posted.
You have special knowledge not readily apparent in his post and not generally
known by people who are not Russian travel experts. 

I didn't even know there was a SVO 3 or where it is in relationship to the
other SVO's.  I remember my difficulties at the time and was hoping someone
could tell him how to avoid them. Does he need to know how to get from one
to the other?

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2010, 02:32:54 PM »

OM, I could read his post 500 times and NOT know what you just posted.

Well... You're special...  :biggrin:

You have special knowledge not readily apparent in his post and not generally known by people who are not Russian travel experts. 

Hey Moby! Hear that? :THUB:

You're a Russian travel expert - as you've posted the schedule of flights transfer from SVO-B to SVO-D on November 24, 2009  :chuckle:

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=9503.0

I didn't even know there was a SVO 3 or where it is in relationship to the other SVO's. 

Well... I guess travel is not your speciality?

I remember my difficulties at the time and was hoping someone could tell him how to avoid them.

Does he need to know how to get from one to the other?

Yes, he does need to know how to get from SVO-F to SVO-D.

Presuming (as the OP hasn't declared it explicitely) that he's flying with SU, the procedure will be descibed in the end of inflight magazine that he'll find in the seat pocket in front of him.

Offline 2tallbill

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2010, 03:23:17 PM »

Well... You're special...  :biggrin:

Yasno, spasibo  ;D

Offline RG

• Spouses Country: Now the US
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2010, 03:40:22 PM »

This is also the case in Belarus (MSQ)
Arriving:
leave plane, either via shuttle or gate.
get medical insurance
go through passport control
get bags from baggage claim
go through "customs" - so far, this has been basically zero, assuming you have nothing to claim.

Leaving:
Go into registration area, show passport
put bags through x-ray
assuming nothing to claim, go through green line
check in with airlines, check any bags
re-scan bags
go to gate
board plane

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2010, 04:03:41 PM »

Arriving:
get medical insurance
go through "customs" - so far, this has been basically zero, assuming you have nothing to claim.

Leaving:
Go into registration area, show passport
put bags through x-ray
assuming nothing to claim, go through green line
check in with airlines, check any bags
re-scan bags
go to gate
board plane

Be sure to get the mandatory health insurance from Белгосстрах/Belgosstrakh

Offline RG

• Spouses Country: Now the US
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2010, 06:28:06 PM »
Arriving:
get medical insurance
Be sure to get the mandatory health insurance from Белгосстрах/Belgosstrakh

I think I saw you mention this before, Herrie - I did include the medical/health insurance in my list, but are you saying there is a way to buy the wrong health insurance somehow on entering?  I think there has only been a single table set up right outside of Passport Control, but  ???

Offline BCKev

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2010, 12:40:09 AM »

Very interesting. At both airports in Ukraine I am familiar with -- Borispyl and Donetsk-- passport control and the luggage/customs lines were after baggage claim...as it is in several other Western airports I am familar with.

David

I think your memory is a little faulty, must be time for you to take a trip and refresh it.  :)  You must pass through passport control at Borispol before picking up your luggage. It is the same routine at the majority of international airports that I have passed through. I always seem to end up having to take a bus from the plane to the terminal when I arrive at Borispol. Last one on the bus at the plane means you can be the first off at the terminal and at the front of the line for passport control.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2010, 02:01:19 AM »

David

It is the same routine at the majority of international airports that I have passed through. I always seem to end up having to take a bus from the plane to the terminal when I arrive at Borispol. Last one on the bus at the plane means you can be the first off at the terminal and at the front of the line for passport control.

Same here Kev, I hate that airport, usually they loose my baggage and they always seem to take an age to get you through passport control, they have one pace, very slow! I would much rather use some of the smaller rural airports they usually  get you through very quickly and don't tend to loose your baggage as much  :chuckle:

Слава Україні

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2010, 07:23:40 AM »

Same here Kev, I hate that airport, usually they loose my baggage and they always seem to take an age to get you through passport control, they have one pace, very slow!

I would much rather use some of the smaller rural airports they usually  get you through very quickly and don't tend to loose your baggage as much  :chuckle:

To my understanding, it was not the Borispol airport ground handling services who were losing your luggage - but the airlines: either KLM in Amsterdam, or Air France in Paris?  ???

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2010, 10:13:21 AM »

Same here Kev, I hate that airport, usually they loose my baggage and they always seem to take an age to get you through passport control, they have one pace, very slow!

I would much rather use some of the smaller rural airports they usually  get you through very quickly and don't tend to loose your baggage as much  :chuckle:

To my understanding, it was not the Borispol airport ground handling services who were losing your luggage - but the airlines: either KLM in Amsterdam, or Air France in Paris?  ???

Yes correct, both of them many times  :( it wasn't the ground handling crew at Boryspol, but never the less the airport does keep you waiting around for about 2 hours filling in forms every time the other lot loses your luggage and the airport is still one of the worst Capital City airports I have had the misfortune to pass through lots of times  :fighting0025:

Слава Україні

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2010, 05:48:37 PM »
Yes correct, both of them many times  :( it wasn't the ground handling crew at Boryspol, but never the less the airport does keep you waiting around for about 2 hours filling in forms every time the other lot loses your luggage and the airport is still one of the worst Capital City airports I have had the misfortune to pass through lots of times  :fighting0025:

Yes, I was fuming at AeroSvit for losing my bags at Boryspil, until I got it back....

It had a sticker on it  "Inspected by Homeland Security"  >:(

(It was pulled aside in NY for inspection, missed the flight.)  :D

Offline froid

« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2010, 07:56:59 AM »
Yes, I was fuming at AeroSvit for losing my bags at Boryspil, until I got it back....

It had a sticker on it  "Inspected by Homeland Security"  Angry

(It was pulled aside in NY for inspection, missed the flight.)  Cheesy

I went to play hockey once in Miami for a Finnish team that needed a goalie.  One the way back my goalie stick got one of those stickers.  I left it on...it made me laugh.  :)
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline sloopiek

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2010, 04:35:07 PM »
Thanks to everybody who weighed in on my upcoming transfer from terminal F to terminal D.  My trip is only 3 days off and despite my relative newness to international travel, I am very excited about making the trip.  But I am sure if there is a problem it will happen somewhere in the small distance between terminal F and terminal D.
I have been keeping an eye on flight tracker for the past week or so and it seems the LA to Moscow flight is routinely departing L.A. over an hour late (or more), and arriving even further behind schedule.  The flight path was adjusted immediately following the volcano eruption and that seemed to lengthen the route, and as of yesterday this flight is still   If the second leg leaves as scheduled then I may be toast. 
My understanding of the airport routine is as follows:
Deplane, passport control, pick up checked baggage, customs, find Aeroflot transit desk for check in,boarding pass, and shuttle info for flight to Novosibirsk, find shuttle to terminal D, through security, find gate...hope that flight is delayed long enough so I make it.  Departure time for this flight is something like 10:30 p.m.; the next flight to Novosibirsk is scheduled at 2:15 a.m.
Again, thanks to everybody for posting tips and suggestions.  I will post my travel experience upon my return home.
Rich K.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2010, 04:59:19 PM »
Rich, have a great trip.

Offline JohnnyBGoode

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2010, 08:42:37 PM »
Rich,

I flew the same route: LA>Moscow and Moscow>Novosibirsk a few months ago and my flight from LA was delayed 4 hours. Needless to say, I was unable to make my connection at 10:30. No worries though. I went to the Aeroflot kiosk and they ordered me a shuttle to the new terminal and put me on the 2:30 flight with no issues. I wouldn't sweat it too much...just make sure you are in communication with the person who will be picking you up in Novosib.

Have a great trip!