The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Alyona Arived Monday October 6.  (Read 3569 times)

Offline HiTech

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
Alyona Arived Monday October 6.
« on: October 09, 2008, 11:05:18 AM »
I will not be witting many details, only small Items I see as pertain to other things I have read.

Alyona was in shock that she did not see any people walking only cars. Before she came I pushed this topic many times that there are very few places she will be able to walk to. But she still did not have the mental picture in her head of how a USA suburb functions.

She went for a walk on her own when I was at work yesterday, she was walking threw a housing district and was confused that everyone she passed said Hello.

Shopping.
So far the produce sections have been a huge hit. Went to wall mart super center to buy a blow drier , when entering the store all she could say was WOW. Later she saw the differences of what to purchase and not purchase at a wall mart.

On the 2nd trip, she managed to put me in agony with a 2.5 hour shopping ordeal. She wanted a bag, I had quizzed her before time, did she want a very good purse our not. She said not, her first sight of the bags at wall mart, I knew what she really was looking for. 
The selection at Wall mart was from 10 to $15, so I said, you can buy one know, and we will shop for a real one later, (knowing this will be at least a 1 week many store process) but she choose to wait.

Instantly took to the washing machine and dryer. Still has aversion to the dish washer.

She had her first taste of very spicy Mexican, the experience was not a good one.

More when I have time.
Dale

Offline Chillidog

Re: Alyona Arived Monday October 6.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 03:02:44 PM »
it is always very interesting to learn the suprises that are in store for the women when they arrive, even as you say you drilled it into her some of these differences. Until they actually set foot down in their new home, they have really no reference point on sometimes how extreme the differences actually are.

very enjoyable, keep it up

Oh! sorry congratulations is in order as well, wishing you both a lifetime of happiness!

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-Dalai Lama-

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 03:55:08 PM »
Enjoy the adventure and wishing you many years!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 04:18:29 PM »
Congratulations, it seems you are on the start of a wonderful journey. I wish you the best.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline bgreed

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 04:36:03 PM »
Congrats HiTech I'm sure you will have many interesting times ahead :)

Offline fireeater

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 05:10:45 PM »
Congratulations, and hopefully you will have many more days of being able to hear "wow" from her.   :party0011:

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 06:14:28 PM »
She had her first taste of very spicy Mexican, the experience was not a good one.

I remember that one (it was Indian food for us).  :o

Some other elements sound quite familiar also. Congratulations and good luck Dale.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 08:14:52 AM »
Goodluck Dale, good to hear she is now with you.
Слава Україні

Offline HiTech

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 04:06:51 PM »
Things that have surprised me.

1. She did not like Sweet gherkins. To me they taist a lot like Pickled Hearing  that she also likes, she hated them.
2. She love steak fillet  Medium rare.
3. She love flying and is a natural pilot.
4. The universe will cease to exist if she does not get her electrolysis this week.

Dish washer has been interesting, after one attempt she has changed her mind of its value, and looks like a pro stacker. The same can be said about garbage disposal.

I had a discussion what could and could not be washed together and what settings on the cloths washer ,I  forgot the same discussion about he cloths drier. Lucky I caught her before her favorite slacks had a melt down.

She was convinced she could drive her car from Tulsa to Dallas with no help even thought she never has driven solo before, and had no idea of how roads are named, and what all the traffic signs are for.

She was very disappointed on me insisting on an automatic until 1 min after driving one.

More as I have time.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 05:08:34 PM »
It sure is interesting times when a RW arrives. Mine was a train wreck but there was some fun moments. She loved Famous Dave's BBQ. We visited a Fort in Thunderbay, Canada and there was a reconstructed 1800's Indian village with real Indians. That impressed her and wanted her picture taken with them for the folks back home. She liked "the cheap store" (Salvation Army) for some reason. I imagine shopping there brought back memories of Russia. She like Chinese buffets, E channel, tabloids and said ranch style homes looked like dog houses. Anyway it is fun seeing their reaction to things. 

Good luck HiTech. I wish you success.

Maxx

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 09:55:11 PM »
Dish washer has been interesting, after one attempt she has changed her mind of its value, and looks like a pro stacker. The same can be said about garbage disposal.

I had a discussion what could and could not be washed together and what settings on the cloths washer ,I  forgot the same discussion about he cloths drier. Lucky I caught her before her favorite slacks had a melt down.

Brings back memories!  Very same reaction to dishwasher and disposal!  My wife was used to automatic clothes washer but the dryer was a new experience.

Thanks for sharing!  And don't stop...   :)

Offline cdrp

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 01:23:55 PM »
Sounds like things are going very well.   I am interested in hearing how the transition is going on a continuing basis.  Will you continue forwarding this style of updates?  I really like the "tidbits" descriptive style.  For me it is very insightful and interesting.

Thanks and keep it coming.   

Don

Offline Boris

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 08:23:48 PM »

Brings back memories!  Very same reaction to dishwasher and disposal!  My wife was used to automatic clothes washer but the dryer was a new experience.

Thanks for sharing!  And don't stop...   :)

In Odessa the apartment Svet, Lera and I shared had a dishwasher with the controls in French. It was a first for them. They called it the "machine." "Barry, the machine is making a noise. Come check."

Offline HiTech

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 12:45:06 PM »
Many people have talked about teaching their ladies to drive, but it is very difficult to describe the frustration. I am a very patient man, and Alyona takes advice fairly well, but she has the quality of always wanting to make an excuse when I tell her to do something different.

One great experience was we were on the road at the end of a typical target parking lot. Alyona is looking left and stopped deciding if she wants this row or not. About 5 or 10 secs later she decides yes and starts turning I yell stop and she said why I scream again and she does. I then point forward at that nice big car coming toward us, and repeat again, my love you must Always look, she replies, but my love, she Saw me.  :'(

Alyona drives fine, but I am trying to find a way where she starts to not focusing on one task at time and look around more.

Also do all Ukrainian women have the problem of the neck not working?

The wedding is Scheduled for Nov 28. About 120 invites sent out, It is a very difficult to plan a wedding with a big family when your fiancees English is a little limited. My 2 of my sisters are doing the coordination, but this also has some interesting consequence with things like choices of colors.

Dale

Offline fireeater

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 01:23:01 PM »
Many people have talked about teaching their ladies to drive, but it is very difficult to describe the frustration. I am a very patient man, and Alyona takes advice fairly well, but she has the quality of always wanting to make an excuse when I tell her to do something different.

One great experience was we were on the road at the end of a typical target parking lot. Alyona is looking left and stopped deciding if she wants this row or not. About 5 or 10 secs later she decides yes and starts turning I yell stop and she said why I scream again and she does. I then point forward at that nice big car coming toward us, and repeat again, my love you must Always look, she replies, but my love, she Saw me.  :'(

Alyona drives fine, but I am trying to find a way where she starts to not focusing on one task at time and look around more.

Also do all Ukrainian women have the problem of the neck not working?

The wedding is Scheduled for Nov 28. About 120 invites sent out, It is a very difficult to plan a wedding with a big family when your fiancees English is a little limited. My 2 of my sisters are doing the coordination, but this also has some interesting consequence with things like choices of colors.

Dale

Have you tried describing what you are doing when you are driving.  :)

For us it becomes an automatic reflex, that constant watching without any effort on our part. We can anticipate what could happen by what we are noticing around us.  Maybe if you told her what you were doing, as you did it and why, it might help her understand what you are telling her. Or point out to her those potential problems that you notice so she gets an idea on what you are talking about.   8)

I have done that and it works for when you are teaching someone.  ;D

You may be able to figure out a certain way of saying it without it sounding like teaching, more like a general conversation.  :chuckle:

Offline HiTech

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 09:40:02 AM »
19 Days our the wedding. Planning a wedding remotely is difficult. My sisters are helping greatly, but having Alyona understand how things can not be chosen at the last minute is a little difficult.

Alyonas driving is improving, but not looking is still a huge short coming.

After saying she did not like American clothing stores, she finally went looking on her own back to some stores we had been threw quickly "Kohl's she now loves.

Wedding stress is lessening on me, but growing on Alyona.  She really misses that no one from her family will be there. She has also become nervous what some of my family (cousins) will think about our wedding. I.E. Only green card thoughts.

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
Alyona Arrived Monday October 6.
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2024, 12:43:03 PM »
Many people have talked about teaching their ladies to drive, but it is very difficult to describe the frustration.

I taught my son's to drive. It worked partially because they instinctively stopped
if I yelled stop. It has saved them from stepping into traffic, from sticking something
into an electrical socket and a hundred other things.
HOWEVER,

Angel Eyes has not had the benefit of me saving her life. So when I Yelled
STOP!!! she took her eyes off the road and looked at me, as if to say
"why are you yelling?"

So, I yelled it again louder so naturally she kept her eyes on me, looking
even more perplexed.

I popped the transmission into neutral and pulled the emergency brake.
We were driving the wrong way into traffic up a one way road. I got her
off to the edge of a road and we switched places.

She practiced with me a bunch of times, but I paid for her to take lessons
for months. I really wanted for her to not die in a car crash. It's only
money and I really, really love her. 

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Manny

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2024, 05:26:21 AM »
I wonder what became of Dale and if they are still married. He vanished right after his wedding.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online 2tallbill

Alyona Arived Monday October 6.
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2024, 08:08:15 AM »
I wonder what became of Dale and if they are still married. He vanished right after his wedding.

That's the point in time we lose most of our members, the second most common
is after a big ass squabble with other members.

I don't have any back channel knowledge.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Offline Manny

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2024, 05:30:52 AM »
He last logged in in 2015. Seven years after that post.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2024, 05:52:12 AM »

PM me his email, I will invite him to check in. He's is from Texas,
I live in Texas now.

Registration