The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Best Russian language resources  (Read 81267 times)

Offline Ward_Cleaver

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1-5

Offline leeholsen

• Houston-NASA, the oil biz+too much country+western
    • Loveland Ski Area
Re: Best Russian language resources
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2013, 10:30:06 AM »

i'm starting up this: http://www.russianforfree.com/skype-lessons.php to get my russian back in shape. its about $300 US for 2-4 months, thats a great deal compared to berlitz and even rosetta stone IMO.

an update on this now as i'm about a month into it, its pretty good.

basically, how it works is you skype with an instructor; and the compnay provides basically lessons plans for the instructor to work thru with you.

so, its really up to you and your efforts as to how fast you learn.

the good is you have someone to ask about this and that, get immidate feedback on proniounciation, grammar rules and it one on one.

much cheaper than classes and better than cd's and tapes. only thin i would think could be better is if you could drop the money to do one on one with a serious languahge company like berlitz.
Eat 'em up Houston Cougars !

Offline steveo

• Commercial Member
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2013, 02:34:52 AM »
Our translation bureau is doing daily twitter phrase of the day in Russian and English, it is in Cyrillic, but if you haven't learnt Cyrillic yet, I would suggest it is the first thing you should learn, as it helps immensely. Sometimes it is the equivalent proverb and sometimes it is an equivalent phrase and sometimes we use the literal meaning (word by word).

It is very difficult to learn the printed Cyrillic and the handwritten Cyrillic at the same time but even so I recommend learning both, learning to handwrite in linked Cyrillic script helps the language learning process a lot in my opinion.

Phrase of the day today is: Time flies when you're having fun/Счастливые часов не наблюдают.

Our twitter handle is @EnglishinKiev

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2013, 09:05:49 AM »
Our translation bureau is doing daily twitter phrase of the day in Russian and English, it is in Cyrillic, but if you haven't learnt Cyrillic yet, I would suggest it is the first thing you should learn, as it helps immensely. Sometimes it is the equivalent proverb and sometimes it is an equivalent phrase and sometimes we use the literal meaning (word by word).

It is very difficult to learn the printed Cyrillic and the handwritten Cyrillic at the same time but even so I recommend learning both, learning to handwrite in linked Cyrillic script helps the language learning process a lot in my opinion.

Phrase of the day today is: Time flies when you're having fun/Счастливые часов не наблюдают.

Our twitter handle is @EnglishinKiev

Good tip...thanks Steveo  tiphat
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline Larry

« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2013, 02:37:57 PM »
I came across an online service that offers a large variety of Russian classes, at no charge: 

http://www.memrise.com/courses/english/russian/

The courses range from learning the cyrillic alphabet, to basic Russian, to courses on verbs, to advanced Russian, and even a short course on the dirty words:

http://www.memrise.com/course/128133/dirty-russian-by-native-russian-speaker/

I have no idea of their quality.

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2013, 03:18:58 PM »
I came across an online service that offers a large variety of Russian classes, at no charge: 

http://www.memrise.com/courses/english/russian/

The courses range from learning the cyrillic alphabet, to basic Russian, to courses on verbs, to advanced Russian, and even a short course on the dirty words:

http://www.memrise.com/course/128133/dirty-russian-by-native-russian-speaker/

I have no idea of their quality.

Memrise is one of the sources I use, although not as often as I should.  It is pretty handy and has little quizzes that help with memorization.  The site even sends me little reminders that I need to get back to class like a hall monitor would.  :chuckle:
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline mendeleyev

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2014, 03:05:41 PM »
I like Pimsleur, their grammar is fine and it does indeed help with accents given their instruction on how to form words. I however also recommend that you find online various Pimsleur study aids because no matter what they say about learn to speak first, write later, the grammar just falls into place more naturally when learning both.

Offline mendeleyev

Re: Anki: spaced repetition flashcard program
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2014, 12:58:29 PM »
Ward, this seems as a nice addition to the concept of flash cards.

I have one small correction from the Pimsleur notes:

The link from lesson 2 has this phrase on #18:

Вы понимаете, Госпожа Петров but uses the term for Mrs instead of Mr in the phrase (Do you understand, Mr. Petrov?)

The correct form for Mr is Господин (ga-spa-DEEN).

#20 is correct:

До свидания, Госпожа Петрова (Goodbye, Mrs. Petrova).

All in all it looks like an interesting program.

Offline Larry

12 free sites for learning Russian
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2014, 02:18:02 PM »
A Spoonful of Russian iTunes Free Feed Web Site
Recommended by our readers.

A Taste of Russian iTunes Free Web Site
This “isn’t a boring Grammar course, it is a real chat on different topics which can be heard in everyday life. It is a chance to listen to the native speakers talking at home, at work, at the shop, at the party, etc.”

Business Russian Web
Presented by the UCLA Center for World Languages, this series teaches students the essentials of Russian business communication.

Everyday Russian iTunes Free
Everyday practice for Russian language learners of all levels.

Foreign Service Institute Russian Fast - Web site
Textbook (PDF) and eight audio lessons (MP3).

Russian Grammar - YouTube
50 free, short videos on topics in basic Russian grammar. Funded by a grant from the University of South Carolina, the videos were created by Curtis Ford, a senior instructor at the University.

Russian Literature iTunes Free Web Site
Also presented by UCLA, the lessons help users improve their comprehension and vocabulary by listening to excerpts from Tolstoy, Gogol, Chekhov and other Russian literary greats.

One Minute Russian iTunes Free Feed Web Site

Russian Essentials - Web
A web-application developed by the University of Cambridge Language Centre for basic level students of Russian. Russian Essentials concentrates on basic language, with eight sections covering key spoken and written language.

Russian for Beginners 1 - Free YouTube Video
A series of instructive videos from Olga Viberg at Dalarna University.

RussianPod101 iTunes Free Web Site
Helps you learn Russian and Russian culture at your convenience.

Russian Handwriting - Web Site
Brown University provides animations showing how to write Russian letters by hand.

http://www.openculture.com/free_russian_lessons

Offline WestCoast

Re: 12 free sites for learning Russian
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2014, 03:14:02 PM »
Just look on Youtube. Lots of sites for learning Russian, at least at the elementary level.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=learn+russian
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline midwestfilmmaker

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2015, 08:49:56 AM »
Thank you!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2015, 10:38:02 AM »
Best Russian language resource is your own Russian woman, you'll soon get sick of it then lol! 

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2015, 05:53:54 PM »
Best Russian language resource is your own Russian woman, you'll soon get sick of it then lol! 

:ROFL:  :ROFL:

Offline RichyRich

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2015, 08:53:21 AM »
Memrise Russian is a good starting point as already mentioned by Larry, likewise Anki flashcards are useful and Reddit has a sub for a Russian language course, http://www.reddit.com/r/Russianlessons/comments/rz45j/index/ it's basic but good to get you started.

Duolingo has a Russian course in the works which looks to be astounding once released, http://incubator.duolingo.com/courses/ru/en/status

I bought a book a while ago that I used once or twice, I can't stand it instead I use the following;
http://learnrussian.rt.com/ < Dodgy on the iPhone sometimes but good on MacBook.
http://www.memrise.com/course/359/beginners-russian/ <  Great to use in conjunction with RT's offering.
http://www.pimsleur.com/learn-russian < Fantastic for the commute/run/gym.
Russian media of all kinds, I don't take the news seriously.

I can't wait for Duolingo to launch the Russian course, that'll change it all for me! I stopped using Rosetta Stone, it was too clunky.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2015, 09:04:38 AM »

http://www.pimsleur.com/learn-russian < Fantastic for the commute/run/gym.
Russian media of all kinds, I don't take the news seriously.

Also found that course quite helpful, didn't learn all the much from it so I thought at the time, but there's words I have picked up that have been really useful.

Not used the others, apart from below

I can't wait for Duolingo to launch the Russian course, that'll change it all for me! I stopped using Rosetta Stone, it was too clunky.

Totally agree with you on that, couldn't get to grips with it at all, gave up after a few hours, complete waist of time and money.

If I recall correctly, it seemed to jump straight into advance language skills, past, present and stuff, not really any good for likes of me.

Most words I have learned are from my partner, somehow it's just so much easier.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Borsch

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2015, 04:22:58 AM »
Assimil book is pretty good and the style of learning is almost perfect for me. Designed for English speakers at various levels of beginner. The optional audio accompaniment is an extra cost. Can buy it on Amazon or direct. I think there is a version for French speakers too.

Started using that after Pimsleur level 3. Simply not enough words taught in Pimsleur but it provides a good base and you can knock it out in dead time such as driving or travelling. I thought myself as intermediate after finishing Pimsleur but really you are still at a beginner level (maybe intermediate-beginner). I finished half of Assimil (where it is supposed to pick up the pace) but then got lazy (my gf's English is too good  :chuckle:)... time to start up again.

Offline Chyrso

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2015, 07:27:47 AM »
Thank you.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2015, 02:42:01 PM »
Thank you.

Welcome to RUA - why not introduce your self in the introductions section.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2016, 08:04:09 AM »
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2017, 12:16:26 PM »
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Czenny

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #120 on: December 24, 2017, 12:58:48 AM »
Is it possible we may  see in the nearest future english-speaking members of the forum writing in Russian??

:ROFL: :party0011:
Livet är fullt av ironier.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #121 on: December 24, 2017, 03:28:52 AM »
Is it possible we may  see in the nearest future english-speaking members of the forum writing in Russian??

:ROFL: :party0011:

почему нет?
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Registration