The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Haircuts, waists, muscles and fitness  (Read 3213 times)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Haircuts, waists, muscles and fitness
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 04:52:11 PM »

BMI = weight in kg divided by (height in m)2

That means for me...

a) 1.58 x 1.58 = 2.4964

b) 50 / 2.4964 = 20.0288?

Is that supposed to be OK?

I thought the ideal weight is height (in cm) - 100; so I shall aim to 48 kilos?

yes, 20 would be very good since you are a woman! :)
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 06:04:18 PM »
 The BMI is a load of crapola. I think unless you have a meager amount of muscle ,than your going to be obese.
 Some of us hashed this out elsewhere and I finally had to post a photo to show some people what a obese guy looks like according to the BMI.

My advice is to get naked and have a look in the mirror.  You like what you see ?  If you don't than stay off the scale, it'll only make you feel worse.
 Get your heart rate up for about 45 minutes a day,cut down on your food consumption,avoid sugar or have one glass of juice instead of two, as juices contain more sugar than soft drinks. Also read the product information on the package, you will be shocked at the calories in the stuff we eat !
 And in time you will see some results. :party0011:

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 06:30:32 PM »
It is a measure of how an individual's weight compares to an arbitrary standard with a built-in correction for various heights.  BMI = weight in kg divided by (height in m)2 

The BMI of my wallet allows my wife to overlook the BMI of my person   :king:
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 09:19:40 PM »
Is that supposed to be OK? [BMI = 20]

If you were in the U.S., you would be in the age-adjusted 10th percentile, meaning that 10% of women in your age group would be thinner and 90% would be thicker.

In regard to the contemplated weight loss, not everyone has the constitution to be both ultra-thin and ultra-healthy. If you wish to proceed, however, the safest path to take is through increased cardiovascular activity, rather than decreased caloric intake. The combination of training and dieting is problematic because nutrient requirements increase as activity levels increase. The muscles "eat" first, to the extent that vital minerals are leached out of the bones and cells are starved of raw materials that are required for cellular repair. (The immune system and the joints go to hell in a handbasket, as well.)

"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 11:36:46 PM »
I thought the ideal weight is height (in cm) - 100; so I shall aim to 48 kilos?

158 - 100 = 58

French use formula (weight=height - 114), but I'm not even aming at it any more... - 100 does for me just fine.  ;D

Offline TomT

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2008, 09:04:29 AM »
French use formula (weight=height - 114)

Attempts to make this ratio a linear function are doomed to failure because weight is a function of thickness squared times height. Without the squared term, the formula becomes very inaccurate for people who are very tall and who are very short.

According to the French formula, a 114 cm dwarf should weight 0 kg. This would be rather thin, even for my taste.
"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 03:52:11 PM »
According to the French formula, a 114 cm dwarf should weight 0 kg. This would be rather thin, even for my taste.

I didn't know you were interested in them  :rolleye0009:

Offline TomT

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2008, 10:25:27 PM »
I didn't know you were interested in them.

I mentioned dwarf to provide an obvious example of the flaw in the French weight/height formula, not because I dream of seven dwarves climbing all over me. (I hope that I don't have nightmares tonight.)

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2008, 10:36:36 PM »
I mentioned dwarf to provide an obvious example of the flaw in the French weight/height formula, not because I dream of seven dwarves climbing all over me. (I hope that I don't have nightmares tonight.)

ahhh Tom..  ;D Don't get too serious.

Offline Chillidog

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2008, 10:52:44 PM »
according to the BMI that Tom T provided I am in the

78% percentile (according to the chart I am OBESSE)

I am

6' and 230 lbs

Picture (avatar) is very current.

BMI is not a good indicator in many instances, usually only acurate when dealing with couch potatoes eating chips (crips for those in the UK) and ice cream all day. Or their idea of a balanced meal is getting a shake with their burger and fries from McD's
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-Dalai Lama-

Offline TomT

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 12:24:14 AM »
The measured percentage of body fat is a much better indicator of fitness. If a man is in the range of 14-17%, he is at no greater risk for obesity-related diseases than the average trained athlete.

There is myth that people who are in competition condition are in superb health, but this simply isn't so. People who push for maximum performance are plagued with injuries and compromised immune systems.

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
  • Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2008, 03:21:57 AM »
Quote from: Tom
There is myth that people who are in competition condition are in superb health, but this simply isn't so. People who push for maximum performance are plagued with injuries and compromised immune systems.

I totally agree with that, I know of two young (early twenties) people who were at the peak of physical fitness (one a dancer one an athlete) and both died because their immune systems could not fight off fairly common illnesses.

Offline pup zemly

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2008, 09:30:26 AM »
Пока что я там вижу куски жира :) Всё-таки иди в зал, а то сейчас тепло, пойдёшь на пляж, так на солнце жир начнёт выпариваться, будешь вся скользкая :)

I hate fat women.
of course I am fat. Today I wanted to buy a dress and it was 44 size ... my size is 42 ...life is not fair  :smileysherlock:
сочувствую, что ты ни на себе, ни на жене не видел мышц, поэтому путаешь их с жиром. иди подстригись, а то как баба :smokin:

Offline Chillidog

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 10:53:07 PM »
The measured percentage of body fat is a much better indicator of fitness. If a man is in the range of 14-17%, he is at no greater risk for obesity-related diseases than the average trained athlete.

I agree with your first statement but,

Your statement  "People who push for maximum performance are plaqued with injuries and compromised immune systems" I hope is only your opinion, because it is completely inaccurate!!!!

Yes you may find some athlete's who have weak immune systems but this can not be directly linked to their training, you will find just as a high a percentage in the average person & and even higher percentage in obese people.

On the news all you will hear about are the high profile athletes who die in the late twenties and early thirties because of heart attacks and such, but you will never hear of all the thousands and thousands of overweight people who die for these very same reasons in there late twenties and early thirties!!!!!Why? becuase of the same reason you will hear all of the horrible MOB stories, because that is what sells.

my sphere of study (major) at the university was "statistics" the very first thing you learn is you can prove "ANYTHING" with statistics, for proof just pay attention in the coming months to all the economic gurus for each of the political camps (Republican and Democrate) and watch how each will prove the other's economic policies are wrong by the simple use of Statistics!

What you may confuse with a world class athlete being in shape and dying at a young age in 99% of the time is not due to "Pushing the body to the maximum" but may have to do with hereditary reasons beyond their or doctors control, could also be contributed to abuse of performance enhancing drugs, or an adverse interaction between drugs. Just in the same way that Cigarettes and alcohol can affect a person's health and can be the cause of early death.

There are many factors to a person's health that go WAY BEYOND being  a "world class athlete" for example a family history of heart disease or high cholesterol. Both these factors can lead to a heart attack, that has nothing to due with being in shape or even being fat, and there are no medical links to a weak immunne system and being a world class athlete.

Your statement is just as much a "myth"

We all should strive to be in the best health as we possibly can.

The average person does not need to push their bodies to extremes, but you do need to push your body beyond it's comfort level (normal resting heart rate) to achieve results (agree with Tom T in an earlier post by him of elevated heart rate for 45 minutes at least 3 times a week). This can be done in thousands of different ways, a nice brisk walk, swimming laps, weight training, etc......  

Doing this you make your heart and body stronger, but at the same time when your heart rate is elevated you also run the risk of stressing the heart and body beyond it's recuperation point, and this could lead to cardiac arrest.  

People must understand that this can occur at only 1 heart beat above normal resting rate, and is not simply the case of a Highly trained athlete dying because he was in too good of shape.

I totally agree with that, I know of two young (early twenties) people who were at the peak of physical fitness (one a dancer one an athlete) and both died because their immune systems could not fight off fairly common illnesses.

Chris,

and there are many more cases of a normal or obese young person dying also from a simple common cold that their immune systems could not fight off either. Is the percentage of athletes dying due to this reason higher than others? The news may lead a person to believe this but would they also report that Joe Average just died of a common cold?
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-Dalai Lama-

Offline TomT

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2008, 12:16:10 AM »
If you have the time and the inclination, you might become a member of The Lancet and browse through the studies that have been done on sports-related health issues. It's a pity that you don't have a minor in kinesiology; it would make the process of wading through the text much easier.

...or you could click on these links for a few key pages of one lengthy paper:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pagerender.fcgi?artid=1317287&pageindex=1#page
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pagerender.fcgi?artid=1317287&pageindex=2#page
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pagerender.fcgi?artid=1317287&pageindex=3#page

p.s.

If you are going to rebutt, kindly focus on what I wrote; I didn't mention coronary heart disease or mortality.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2008, 04:01:20 AM »

I am surely aware of the fact that forums \ interviews \ press-conferences intepreters (called here "synchronists"... don't know the right term in English though) do experience big stress; but I somehow hope they don't die in their late twenties for "pushing the body to the maximum"  :innocent:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Ward_Cleaver

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2008, 07:33:44 PM »
Attempts to make this ratio a linear function are doomed to failure because weight is a function of thickness squared times height. Without the squared term, the formula becomes very inaccurate for people who are very tall and who are very short.

Yup, you is an engineer.  :smileysherlock:

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2008, 01:18:16 AM »

Yup, you is an engineer.  :smileysherlock:

An engineer with a subscription to the Lancet.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<<

"He wants to build a wall to keep the Mexicans out. He reckons that's a great idea. The Chinese built a wall centuries ago - there ain't many Mexicans over there." ~ Kevin Bloody Wilson

Offline TomT

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2008, 08:08:50 PM »

I am surely aware of the fact that forums \ interviews \ press-conferences intepreters (called here "synchronists"... don't know the right term in English though) do experience big stress; but I somehow hope they don't die in their late twenties for "pushing the body to the maximum"  :innocent:

The only synchronists who I am aware of are the people who subscribe to the Carl Yung rubbish about the "collective unconscious."

Registration