The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian Names  (Read 29371 times)

Offline rhayes026

Russian Women's Names
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 02:51:24 PM »
I see that now. I thought there were a lot of Olga's around....now there is more with the variables!
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Russian Women's Names
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 03:09:31 PM »
I see that now. I thought there were a lot of Olga's around....now there is more with the variables!

You can see more names with variables here: Russian Women's Names
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
Re: Russian Women's Names
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 03:25:48 PM »
Olga, Olya, Olen'ka, Olyushka

My friends house keeper is Mexican her name is Olga but they
call her Olgita
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 03:31:01 PM »
Here is another thread on Russian Womens names from a couple of years ago
Слава Україні

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 07:21:58 PM »
Probably 90+ percent of most Russian names are "Saint" names and of course those carry over to the Greeks and all the other Orthodox. Then of course there are saints shared by Roman Catholics and Orthodox so for the Spanish there is also Tatiana, Natasha (from Nataliya), and even Svetlana shows up attached to a Mexican girl from time to time.

Offline rhayes026

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 08:13:34 PM »
Natasha is my daughter's name, in Russian it means 'child of Christmas', and she was the best Christmas present I ever received! :)  Born 4 hours after Xmas.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 08:29:51 PM »
Natasha is my daughter's name, in Russian it means 'child of Christmas',

I think it is a Western version. In Russian Natasha means only female name and nothing else

The girl's name Natalia \n(a)-ta-lia\ is a variant of Natalie (Latin), and the meaning of Natalia is "birthday".

natalis Latin - birthday English. Has nothing to do with Christ really. I never new that it is a popular name for girls born around Christmas time, not in Russia.

Offline rhayes026

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 11:46:16 AM »

I think it is a Western version. In Russian Natasha means only female name and nothing else

The girl's name Natalia \n(a)-ta-lia\ is a variant of Natalie (Latin), and the meaning of Natalia is "birthday".

natalis Latin - birthday English. Has nothing to do with Christ really. I never new that it is a popular name for girls born around Christmas time, not in Russia.

OK W_O, I was just saying what the baby names book said. :) Teaches me not to believe everything I read!

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 02:02:47 PM »

NATALIE

Usage: French, English, German

Pronounced: nat-a-LEE (French), NAD-ə-lee (English), NAH-tah-lee (German)  [key]
From the Late Latin name Natalia, which meant "Christmas Day" from Latin natale domini. This was the name of the wife of the 4th-century martyr Saint Adrian of Nicomedia. She is venerated as a saint in the Orthodox Church, and the name has traditionally been more common among Eastern Christians than those in the West.
http://www.behindthename.com/name/natalie

NATALIE "Christmas Day" from Latin natale domini.
http://www.cyberspacei.com/englishwiz/library/names/etymology_of_first_names.htm
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Offline rhayes026

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 04:07:01 PM »
Oh geez, know I have to go tell my daughter she has to change her name!  :laugh:

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 05:30:38 PM »

http://www.cyberspacei.com/englishwiz/library/names/etymology_of_first_names.htm

Yes, I've read this too. but Christmas - Birthday of Christ has 2 parts Natalis=birthday and Domini=I don't want to google  ;D

Offline Link

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 09:02:12 PM »

call her Olgita

I think you meant:  "Olguita".  It means something like little Olga in an afective way.

Offline Link

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2009, 09:07:22 PM »
Probably 90+ percent of most Russian names are "Saint" names and of course those carry over to the Greeks and all the other Orthodox. Then of course there are saints shared by Roman Catholics and Orthodox so for the Spanish there is also Tatiana, Natasha (from Nataliya), and even Svetlana shows up attached to a Mexican girl from time to time.

That's absolutelty true

Natasha, Natalia, Tatiana, Anastacia, Svetlana, Alicia, Maria, Helena, Olga, Nastia among many others are presented in Mexican female names.

Offline mendeleyev

The name of our new baby!
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2009, 12:04:43 AM »
I wrote in the chat section of our Aunt Lyuba being hit by a car a couple months ago. Today she is a shell of her former self with permanent brain and physical injuries. But life is a cycle and the mystery of life includes both dying and new birth. In that story I also wrote of Aunt Lyuba's daughter Natasha, our cousin, being pregnant with her third child.

This week God dispatched an angel and a brand new baby was delivered to our extended family! Her name is a very old Russian saint name, Евдокия ("yev-dah-KEE-yah") as she was born on the eternal birthday of Saint Евдокия. The meaning of the name which came to Russia from the Greek Orthodox and means "it is well" in Greek. Each Orthodox Saint is accorded a feast day and the feast of Saint Yedokiya is celebrated with the beginning of spring.

Despite her condition, Aunt Lyuba is honoured with another grandchild. We hope that in some small way she can take comfort in this birth as a sign from God, that despite the pain the family has suffered, truly "it is well." The birth and Saint Name of this baby reminds our family that spring offers the chance to enjoy the rebirth of life.

Offline sparky114

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2009, 12:49:02 AM »
Our warmest congratulations on your addition to your wider family Mendy  :party0011:

We also hope that your Aunt will have some peace in her life, does she understand anything or is the damage to severe?
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Link

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2009, 06:35:23 AM »
Muchas felicidades Mendeleyev por el nuevo miembro que ahora pertenece a tu familia !!!  :)

También desoe que tu tía puede recuperarse y mejore su estado de salud pronto  :)

Congratulations Mendeleyev for the new member who knows belong to your familiy  :)

I hope also you Aunt will get better and her health will improve soon  :)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2009, 07:01:48 AM »
Congratulations Jim from Irena and myself, good news for you in the midst of hard times. I hope the little one can give your Aunt the impetuous to gain better health.

Chris
Слава Україні

Offline Jared2151

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2009, 07:16:45 AM »
 :party0011:  Congratulations to you, your cousin Natasha, and your extended family.  :party0011:

Another sign that God is always in control.

Ada

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2009, 09:05:49 AM »

Yes, I've read this too. but Christmas - Birthday of Christ has 2 parts Natalis=birthday and Domini=I don't want to google  ;D

Domini is the Genitive case of Dominus if I recall well, which in Latin means Lord, Master. It stands for Christ, of course. Anno Domini = Year of Christ. Natale Domini = Birth of Christ.

I hope.  :biggrin:

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2009, 09:51:31 AM »
Thanks to each of you and yes, God is in control!

Mark, she has brain damage that is permanent and has lost use of the left upper side of her body as well. She knows and loves the new little addition but can't help with it's care because of the physical limitations.

She definitely loves the new little one.  :)

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2009, 09:53:24 AM »

call her Olgita

I think you meant:  "Olguita".  It means something like little Olga in an afective way.

Yes, I am sure you are correct,

Gracias

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2009, 01:50:24 PM »
For the "newbies" it would perhaps be helpful to discuss Russian names a little more generally.

You will notice that perhaps 80 to 90 percent of Russian women share no more than about 20 different first names; a similar number for the men. This results in two things:

First, a huge number of diminutives, or familiar versions of the names. For example, my wife is Irina--and there are many familiar versions including Ira, Irka, Irochka--the list goes on.

Second, in a work situation and especially by non-intimates, people are routinely addressed both by their first name and by their middle, or "patrynomic" name (taken from their father's first name). My wife's father was Igor, so the name meaning "daughter of Igor" is Igorevna--and her colleagues address her as "Irina Igorevna" to distinguish her from the many other Irinas who work in her hospital. For a male, the middle name would add "vich"...so my wife's brother's middle name is "Igorovich".

Americans often make the mistake of being too familiar with Russian people they don't know well--calling them by their first name only. It is better practice to listen carefully when they are introduced, and learn to know a new acquaintance by both the first and the middle or patrynomic name.

By the way, it isn't just names that are frequently common both in Russian and in Spanish--there are other words as well...like "caca" for one...

David

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2009, 06:58:04 PM »
For the "newbies" it would perhaps be helpful to discuss Russian names a little more generally.

You will notice that perhaps 80 to 90 percent of Russian women share no more than about 20 different first names; a similar number for the men. This results in two things:

First, a huge number of diminutives, or familiar versions of the names. For example, my wife is Irina--and there are many familiar versions including Ira, Irka, Irochka--the list goes on.

Second, in a work situation and especially by non-intimates, people are routinely addressed both by their first name and by their middle, or "patrynomic" name (taken from their father's first name). My wife's father was Igor, so the name meaning "daughter of Igor" is Igorevna--and her colleagues address her as "Irina Igorevna" to distinguish her from the many other Irinas who work in her hospital. For a male, the middle name would add "vich"...so my wife's brother's middle name is "Igorovich".

Americans often make the mistake of being too familiar with Russian people they don't know well--calling them by their first name only. It is better practice to listen carefully when they are introduced, and learn to know a new acquaintance by both the first and the middle or patrynomic name.

By the way, it isn't just names that are frequently common both in Russian and in Spanish--there are other words as well...like "caca" for one...

David

:offtopic:

sorry I am off topic

It is incredibly confusing, I remember reading Anna Karenina and it took
a really long time to figure out everyone's various names. Then I bought
War and Peace, which was supposedly translated to English. Can you
imagine how happy I was to find that maybe 20% of it was in French with
little footnotes below with a translation. I wanted to find the Authors (it
took two of them to come up with this brilliant idea) and stick my foot halfway up their @$$es

They could have written the French words in italics so I knew they were French
then wrote it in English.

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2009, 07:15:16 PM »

I think you contradict yourself a little. I've never heard that patronymic names are used to distinguish 2 people with the same first names. You will never see students calling each other by patronymic names doesn't matter how bad their know each other. Patronymic names are used for official not-friendly relationship, to address someone who might be older than you.

Once i was working in a small news paper. When I started I was the only Svetlana there, and we were on first name basis because our boss couldn't stand patronymic names and asked everyone not to call her by one. Soon after we've got another Sveta and another...  It became a bit funny when 3 of us would turn around if somebody called our name, so they decided to call the shortest one "Little Sveta" and the tallest one "Big Sveta".. I said "OK.. You can call me Beautiful Sveta"  :)

At my next job situation was absolutely opposite. I was working in a private Law college and our boss was a woman from little village who married into money and decided that she is kind of aristocracy now. She made us to call each other with patronymic names, she thought it would give to our office more official feeling. Most of us hated to be called like that and did it only in front of her, but when she was out of ear shot we called each other by first names

Offline alenika

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2009, 10:02:47 PM »
Patronymic names are used for official not-friendly relationship, to address someone who might be older than you.
Yes. In some place patronimic names are must, for example towards teachers and lecturers. In other places depends on the unsaid rules of team, and on official politeness level. It's not at all to recognise one Sveta from another Sveta :-)
I close eyes to see better

Registration