The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: To Evpatoria!  (Read 38343 times)

Offline Wild Orchid

Re: To Evpatoria!
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 04:11:54 AM »
Everyone does it but pretend that they don't. Isn't it a bit hypocritical?

1) Not everyone :) And not even every WM.
i don't know what Mark meant by "private moments".. Do you?

I don't like the display of public affection, I'm just not this type of person, i can be affectionate in my own space but nobody will see me sucking tonsils out of my husband. But some people do it. You said you never been to Russia, but sometimes in metro one can get stack behind such affectionate couple on some long escalator or in the carriage and you just don't know where to look.

so, what ever they did in private it is their business, and I'm sure every one has their private moments, every RW and every WM.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 05:00:19 AM »

== Friday , sick day :-( ==

I am awoken early by Lena's message on my mobile phone. She is very sick and does not want to meet me. I nearly faint! I tell her good health and sleep well. about 30 minutes later she sends me another SMS. "I think when a man likes a woman, he will send her gifts (not souvenirs) and does not allow her to spend her own money"... I ponder about this statement at least 1 hour and feel very humiliated. I decide to sidetrack her and reply : "I am a man, please forgive me and meet me for dinner". I had hoped her statement that she is sick is a blow-off and she is not really sick. Her answer is very clear though "I very grievance". So I was wrong, she really is sick. Damn what to do! I SMS Manny if he can arrange for flowers to be sent to Lena with a get-well-soon card. I also SMS Lena "Good health soon, sleep long". It will be easier to understand for her limited english.

My day crashes, I spend time reading a book my sister gave me (the same one from monday!) and when the roomcleaners come, I take a stroll through Evpatoria without her. The city really is beautiful with lots of nice things to see, but my mind is not with it. After 1 hour I return to the hotel and the room is clean. I had planned to spend today buying souvenirs for my family at home and let Lena buy a very nice goodbye gift, but I fear its not going to happen. While I am lost in the book again taking away my sorrow for a while.... I have simple Lunch in hotel Planeta, which tastes good. When I am almost 2/3 through the book it is nearly 4 PM, my phone beeps again. Lena slept very well and feels much better. She would like to have dinner, where do I meet her? I tell her to goto my hotel by Taxi, I will pay for it. It is not good for recently sick to walk outside. She says she will send me SMS when she leaves home. My mind is racing through the options, but I get only 1 conclusion. Wait until she arrives at the hotel. 

... To be continued.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Jared2151

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 06:49:38 AM »
Awww Mannnnnnnnn ...... I just hate cliffhangers.
(sigh) oh well, it only increases the anticipation.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 07:05:10 AM »
== Friday, the goodbyes ==

After I recieve an SMS from Lena that her taxi is with her, I put on my shoes and coat and walk to the front of the Hotel. I am there Early, but Lena arrives soon after. I pay her cabbie and she waves him away. This was a surprise for me, she doesn't look sick. I tell her we will goto Restaurant Sankt-Petersburg again, but why did she send the taxi off? She said the walk outside in the sun will make her feel better as she still has a mild headache. We walk through the park parallel to Evpatoria's main street towards the restaurant. The man who takes our coats has an ugly scar and looks like a mobster!!! how quaint! The restaurant is marvellous as always. I order Salmon this time and Lena immediatly joines me. She says fish is her favorite food, so I store this knowledge for later use. I have a feeling Lena will find some of the Dutch customs very interesting since they involve sea-food.

We talk about fun things that happened this week and we have a good time together. I steer the conversation towards the SMS she sent me that hurt my feelings. Lena is embarrassed and says it was not her intention, it was an attempt at Humor since I took good care of her, but because of her bad english and her mind not sharp as she was sick, it came out totally wrong. Her mother apparently told her a joke about rich westeners showering their girls with expensive gifts and I brought her only a souvenir from Netherlands. We both laugh at the uncomfertable moments we had and we both agree patience is a virtue and we will both need tons of it when dealing with the language-barrier.

I told lena once again, I loved thursday in Yalta and the dinner we had (picnic ala Mama) was the best food of the entire week!. We go back to my hotel room early to say our goodbyes since I depart back to Netherlands at 5:30 AM that next morning. Lena however , does not really want to leave early. Being cute and cuddly to eachother she manages to drag time until 23:30 PM before she departs towards her own house. On my request she asks the hotel desk to wake me next day at 5:45 just in case my own mobile phone alarm doesn't wake me at 5:30.

I goto sleep very tired , but satisfied and rethink the week in my head. I never felt happier.

----

In hindsight, I think that sick day has been a good experience for me, It will help me prepare with the culture shock Lena will have if things continue to go well between us. She will feel lonely and lost in Netherlands alone without me, and this friday helps me to understand her better when that happens.

Meanwhile my work granted my second vacation, so I will return to Evpatoria 5 July for 2 more weeks of joy with a new relationship that is growing.

OO===[][]===OO

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 07:57:47 AM »
A great story Mark I am glad things are working out so well for the two of you.  :party0011:
Слава Україні

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 08:04:01 AM »
A great story Mark I am glad things are working out so well for the two of you.  :party0011:

Same here.  :bow:

Looks like its coming together for Mark.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2008, 08:11:39 AM »
The pictures from Yalta:

OO===[][]===OO

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2008, 08:47:43 AM »
Is it St Petri mountain Markje?
It is it the landscape is amazing. I have been in the top of the mountain and really the site view is fabulous
Yes, the one and the same!
OO===[][]===OO

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 12:22:42 AM »
Enjoyable reading and very nice photos, Mark.  Did you get to practice any of the Russian you've been working on lately?

Offline sydneyvontrapp

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 01:40:29 AM »

Meanwhile my work granted my second vacation, so I will return to Evpatoria 5 July for 2 more weeks of joy with a new relationship that is growing.

That is wonderful news Markje.  Be prepared for the time to drag until your return in July.  I'm sure you are spending much of your time now sending messages and calling.  Was she able to schedule vacation time from her job for these two weeks?

Take Care

Dave Maynard

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2008, 02:09:16 AM »
Enjoyable reading and very nice photos, Mark.  Did you get to practice any of the Russian you've been working on lately?

Yes I did, but unfortunatly not more than simple meaning of how i feel (ochen charasho) and da, njet, spasiba etc. etc.

And asking Lena how she feels, simple road directions.... where is the red square in evpatoria...  :laugh:

Lena appreciated the effort though :)

@Dave:
No, she can't get vacation the second time :( She said she will think of something, even faking a disease or something.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline sydneyvontrapp

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2008, 02:29:14 AM »
@Dave:
No, she can't get vacation the second time :( She said she will think of something, even faking a disease or something.

Hello Markje :
    Way back when I did my trip report I mentioned my UW could not get time off from work.  Mainly she felt she was easily dispensable as an employee.  a single female with a child.  When her child was sick she needed to take time off to care for her.
I did venture out on my own a few times instead of sitting around the hotel.  This shocked her.  Her brother in law who had been over to Kiev 3 times never went out alone.  I guess I'm a mugging just waiting to happen.

Enjoy the time you do get to spend together.  It may NOT be exactly what you want. ( her by your side 24X7 for the whole two weeks ) It is however another step in getting to know each other better.  Are you going to rent an apartment for these two weeks?  It could be your chance to find out if she learned to cook like Ma T.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the pictures.
I only got to see Kiev on my visit.  It was beautiful; but there is so much more to see.  thanks for the trip report.  I'm very happy for you.

Dave M.

Offline Jared2151

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 06:32:41 AM »
Markje,

Great travel report !!!

Would it be possible for you to go back and edit the last set of pictures with captions ?

Thanks - jared

Offline Rasputin

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2008, 08:53:34 AM »
I nearly faint! I tell her good health and sleep well. about 30 minutes later she sends me another SMS. "I think when a man likes a woman, he will send her gifts (not souvenirs) and does not allow her to spend her own money"... I ponder about this statement at least 1 hour and feel very humiliated. I decide to sidetrack her and reply : "I am a man, please forgive me and meet me for dinner".

I would have sent her an e-mail stating: "Fine. Go find yourself a man, I will be at the local diskoteka tonight looking for a woman." I would have dumped first, asked questions later. 

If I analyze it from my Machiavellian point of view, she sent you an e-mail to see how desperate you were. You then stew for an hour and then write to her asking for forgiveness. She then knew that she had the upper hand.
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Cestmoi

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2008, 10:00:57 PM »

about 30 minutes later she sends me another SMS. "I think when a man likes a woman, he will send her gifts (not souvenirs) and does not allow her to spend her own money"... I ponder about this statement at least 1 hour and feel very humiliated.

why? did she spend money on you?

also, it is very rude to demand gifts (not souvenirs).   :smileysherlock:

Offline Cestmoi

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2008, 10:11:01 PM »
I take a stroll through Evpatoria without her. The city really is beautiful with lots of nice things to see, but my mind is not with it.
how cute  :innocent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCqgNSQgZ2s&feature=related   :-* :-* :-*

cannot find official translation for song lyrics, so here is mine fast translated version:

It's a usual day
but for some reason you are sad
and everybody is singing around
but you are the only one silent
you lost your appetite
and do not want to go to the movie.
you go to the store,
to buy wine.
Sun is shining and the grass grows,
but you don't need it.
Everything is wrong
when your girl is sick,
when she is sick..

you walk to the store,
your head down,
as if had dried up
clean mountain spring
she lies somewhere
eating honey and drinking aspirin
and then you go to the party alone.
Sun is shining and the grass grows,
but you don't need it.
Everything is wrong
when your girl is sick,
to the party alone,
when she is sick..

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2008, 01:47:00 AM »

about 30 minutes later she sends me another SMS. "I think when a man likes a woman, he will send her gifts (not souvenirs) and does not allow her to spend her own money"... I ponder about this statement at least 1 hour and feel very humiliated.

No, it was ment as a joke :) It came out totally wrong though, because of her sickness and bad knowledge of english language. Read friday evening, when I talked to her about it :)
OO===[][]===OO

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2008, 04:14:48 AM »
so after some [private moments]  hugging (yes with clothes, you perverts  :-X)

Very diplomatic and gentlemanly.  :)

Next installment please!  :bow:

Since everybody is a man at this forum, I needed to elaborate  :laugh: (I hope now that all is clear, you ladies will be ok with this comment lol)

OO===[][]===OO

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2008, 05:35:58 AM »

No, it was ment as a joke :) It came out totally wrong though, because of her sickness and bad knowledge of english language. Read friday evening, when I talked to her about it :)

In every joke there is a grain of truth. That is to say sometimes we reveal our true thoughts or feelings in a "joke."
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2008, 05:42:41 AM »
In every joke there is a grain of truth. That is to say sometimes we reveal our true thoughts or feelings in a "joke."

Well, she said she would have liked some perfume , but when I had the chance to buy perfume , she said she didn't want a present. I goto ukraine was enough.

Aaaaah women!

I will inquire what perfume she likes and take with me next time
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2008, 06:11:28 AM »

Well, she said she would have liked some perfume , but when I had the chance to buy perfume , she said she didn't want a present. I goto ukraine was enough.

Aaaaah women!

So she wanted perfume and you brought her a souvenir instead. Hence the "joke". Still, I had little patience for such games.
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2008, 06:41:05 AM »
In thinking about it, I have to add an addendum. However, I must warn you that it might not come across as very nice.

If I understand everything correctly, she tells you on a Friday night that she is "sick" and then sends you a rude SMS. You then stew for an hour and apologize TO HER even though she is the one that was rude. Once you have apologized for something you should not have apologized for, she then says it was a "joke." And, at the end of the day you will buy her what she wants. All that I can say is that she trained you pretty quickly  :-X I am sorry if this does not seem very nice, but that is my take on what you described. 
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2008, 06:44:37 AM »
Right now, I accept certain behaviour because of language-barriers. I will not continue of course  :innocent:
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2008, 06:48:25 AM »
Right now, I accept certain behaviour because of language-barriers. I will not continue of course  :innocent:

Be careful not to write everything off as a question of "language barriers." You have to trust your intuition and not rationalize things.
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2008, 06:55:14 AM »

Be careful not to write everything off as a question of "language barriers." You have to trust your intuition and not rationalize things.

Yes I know. I learnt a lot from my misstakes in Kharkov.
OO===[][]===OO