The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Main dishes including recipes  (Read 74190 times)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: In praise of pelmeni
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2013, 12:59:53 AM »
Am I the only guy around here who hates the stuff, soggy boiled pastry,  :sick0002: wouldn't be so bad if they baked it  :) of course the family over in Ukraine still try to tempt me to eat it every trip by stuffing it with all sorts of meats and also sweet cherry etc, (which is just about palatable well one or two pieces) but nope! not for me.

My wife occasionally makes it for her and the daughter, but as I won't eat it, its not that often these days thank goodness!  :chuckle:
Слава Україні

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2013, 01:40:21 AM »
We buy frozen. We get them from the local Polish shop, made in Germany.

My wife trialed about ten brands before she found one she was happy with.

The stuff you buy frozen is vile Russian / Ukrainian junk food !

Home made is different.  Parcels are bigger, filling is way,way better.  No nasty smell when you cook them.

Whether you like pelmeni or not is a matter of personal taste.

Now how about Galupsi - Meat and rice balls wrpped in cabbage leaves and then boiled some more.

Served smothered in Smetana...

Offline tonton

• RIP
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2013, 01:42:01 AM »
With Chris here, the frozen fruit ones purchased here in the Russian deli's even put the Good Mrs off, the meat variety, well, bland as all shit. We' prefer to eat deep-fried koala balls, but they are on the endangered list so a sirloin steak it is.  ;D

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2013, 02:05:43 AM »
With Chris here, the frozen fruit ones purchased here in the Russian deli's even put the Good Mrs off, the meat variety, well, bland as all shit. We' prefer to eat deep-fried koala balls, but they are on the endangered list so a sirloin steak it is.  ;D

Ah steak, now you are talking, let start a thread on that please  :thumbsup:
Слава Україні

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2013, 04:27:44 AM »

My little Human Heater makes these things from time to time. She shipped her own special cooker from Tashkent before her arrival. I had no idea what was in the big box at the time, as the , 'Munti Cazon'   :reading:  is not sold here as far as I know.   Basically its a large pot that you stack these plates with holes in it, and this lets the steam move past the layers of plates to steam cook the munti. Think of an old old bolier for home heating. Same idea only made in aluminum, not iron.

We' prefer to eat deep-fried koala balls,

Ahh mate if you get over to these parts again you can try some prairie oysters.  :nod:

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2013, 08:12:38 AM »

That was a joke...right?
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline Mikeav8r

« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2013, 08:15:58 AM »

My little Human Heater makes these things from time to time. She shipped her own special cooker from Tashkent before her arrival. I had no idea what was in the big box at the time, as the , 'Munti Cazon'   :reading:  is not sold here as far as I know.   Basically its a large pot that you stack these plates with holes in it, and this lets the steam move past the layers of plates to steam cook the munti. Think of an old old bolier for home heating. Same idea only made in aluminum, not iron.

We' prefer to eat deep-fried koala balls,

Ahh mate if you get over to these parts again you can try some prairie oysters:nod:

Is that the same as mountain oysters?
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius

Offline tonton

• RIP
« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2013, 09:18:34 AM »

That was a joke...right?

Correct!  :chuckle:

Offline Manny

« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2013, 11:07:28 AM »

She sometimes feeds it to the guys who work for us, they claim to like it, but so would I if the boss's wife was feeding it me.

Yes i am never sure why they feel the need to always do this, as a contractor for many years tea and biscuits was just fine  ???

On the other hand When we are in Russia and have guys there working for us she insists on cooking something English for them  :'(

How about fairy cakes or a nice batch or roast potatoes or making them English tea with milk !! :o

Got to love them  :loving:

Everyone who worked on our house got pelmeni, goulash or something with a Russian twist. One guy badgered me with so many questions he went home with a book as a tip.

It makes sure they arrive. Who doesn't want to work at the house where the cute girl with the foxy accent who feeds them lives? I would.   :chuckle:
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Mikeav8r

« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2013, 11:13:25 AM »

That was a joke...right?

Correct!  :chuckle:

Whew... ;D
Two Favorites:

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #160 on: December 18, 2013, 12:00:53 PM »

She sometimes feeds it to the guys who work for us, they claim to like it, but so would I if the boss's wife was feeding it me.

Yes i am never sure why they feel the need to always do this, as a contractor for many years tea and biscuits was just fine  ???

On the other hand When we are in Russia and have guys there working for us she insists on cooking something English for them  :'(

How about fairy cakes or a nice batch or roast potatoes or making them English tea with milk !! :o

Got to love them  :loving:

Everyone who worked on our house got pelmeni, goulash or something with a Russian twist. One guy badgered me with so many questions he went home with a book as a tip.

It makes sure they arrive. Who doesn't want to work at the house where the cute girl with the foxy accent who feeds them lives? I would.   :chuckle:

Ahh your memory is slipping,
You do live there :chuckle:
There is nothing permanent except change.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #161 on: December 18, 2013, 01:10:27 PM »
Got to admit, I'm another fan of the parcel.

Wifka used to make a batch and freeze them all the time but since she started full time employment, we're landed with Chinese dim sum from the local establishment!  :(

Pork pelmeni with creme fraiche....yum!  :)

Offline Larry

Vareniki
« Reply #162 on: July 06, 2014, 10:52:41 AM »
My favorite FSU food is vareniki:

Vareniki offer something for everyone

These traditional dumplings can be stuffed with a variety of sweet and savory fillings and can be eaten any time of day.

Vareniki are a dessert/breakfast/lunch food every Russian grows up with. Hot, easy to quantify (“I’ll have 3/6/15...”) and served with everyone’s favorite sour cream, they also give kids the option of getting rid of the filling and leaving just the dough, or vice versa. The most popular variety is cherry, and they are usually served as a dessert with sour cream and some powdered sugar. Not too sweet, very filling and hearty, they make for a perfect breakfast too.

These days most people will buy them pre-made and frozen, but traditionally the women of a family would get together on a long winter’s night and make a whole batch of vareniki for the whole family. Delicious Russia: Syrniki, fried quark pancakes It takes a while - you need to roll out the dough till it’s thin enough, then put just the right amount of filling into each varenik - but it’s a great way to spend a dark, frozen evening: chatting, laughing, bonding. I do think it’s a really fun thing to do – get a few girlfriends together, put some music on and get rolling. And if you make a lot and freeze some of them, they will be very handy to have as they only take 10-15 minutes to boil.

Vareniki Dough (for each filling) 1 egg; ½ teaspoon salt 1/5-2 glasses wheat flour (depending on what liquid you use) ½ glass water or sour milk or kefir 1. Mix sour milk, egg and salt, add flour gradually to make tight dough. Form a ball, put it into a plastic bag and leave for 15-30 minutes. 2. Flatten the dough and cut circles out of it with a glass (about 7-8 cm in diameter). 3. Put a desert spoon of filling in the middle of the circle and seal the edges to form varenik. 4. Boil vareniki in a large saucepan for 10-15 minutes. Then put one varenik out of the water and try it. If necessary let vareniki boil a couple of minutes more.

Potato filling 1. Boil and peel potatoes. Mash them and mix with melted butter (about 50 g).
2. Chop one of the two onions and fry till golden brown. Mix with mashed potatoes. Add salt and black pepper. 3. Fill a large saucepan with water, take to a boil and add 2-3 crushed garlic cloves. Boil vareniki, take them out of the water and place them on a large dish. Add some butter. 4. Cut the other onion in thin rings or half rings. Fry onion rings and put them on top of the boiled vareniki. 5. Serve with fresh dill and parsley. 300 g cottage cheese; 1 egg 1 bunch of fresh dill 1 bunch of fresh parsley salt; butter; sour cream Cottage cheese filling 1. Mix cottage cheese, egg, salt and chopped herbs. 2. Make vareniki and boil them. 3. Serve with butter, sour-cream and dill.

Cherry filling 350-400 g pitted cherries (fresh or canned) sugar; sour-cream

1. Put a couple of berries in the middle of the circles cut out of the dough. Add some sugar if the cherries are too sour, add some flour to absorb any liquid. Seal vareniki and boil them. 2. Serve with sour-cream and sugar.

http://rbth.com/arts/2014/05/07/vareniki_offer_something_for_everyone_36467.html)

Here is a nice looking recipe for vareniki stuffed with a potato and cheese filling, from Natasha's Kitchen:

http://natashaskitchen.com/2010/10/31/vareniki-with-potatoes-and-cheese/

Offline mendeleyev

Re: Main dishes including recipes
« Reply #163 on: July 06, 2014, 12:35:49 PM »
Yum-yum! These are often served in and around the New Year holidays.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #164 on: September 06, 2014, 06:48:24 PM »
Salmon Creamed with Apples

Ingredients:
Salmon fillets without skin and bones - 600 g
Green apples - 2
Onions – 2
Cream - 2 cups
Salt, pepper, cayenne pepper - to taste.

Preparation:
Cut the salmon into fillets.
Apples should be cleaned, then cut in half, cored and cut into slices.
Chop onion into half rings.
Create boat or bowl of foil with high edges - like a small bowl.
Place the fish inside and then position the apple slices between the fillets
Spread the onion evenly
Add salt and pepper
Pour cream over the salmon
Cover with foil
Place on the grill and cook 6-7 minutes until the apple slices are soft

Serve with salad.

Offline KachenkaPro

« Reply #165 on: May 31, 2020, 02:48:37 PM »
А я зразы картофельные любила. И сейчас их дома часто готовлю. Вкус "тот самый" :-)

And I loved potato zrazy. And now I often cook them at home. Taste "the same"

Offline KachenkaPro

« Reply #166 on: June 20, 2020, 02:44:16 PM »
Недавно вспомнила ещё одно типично советское блюдо - салат мимоза  :)
Вспомнила и поностальгировала, настолько что решила сама приготовить. Вкус получился как в детстве, один в один, рецепт брала здесь
Если кто-то тоже хочет вспомнить, очень рекомендую

Recently I remembered another typical Soviet dish - mimosa salad :)
I remembered and nostalgia, so much so that I decided to cook it myself. The taste turned out like in childhood, one in one, the recipe was taken here
If someone also wants to remember, I highly recommend

Registration