The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The K1 Journey  (Read 122983 times)

Offline gfinfla

• Spouses Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: The K1 Journey
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2013, 01:40:31 PM »
If your fiancee goes to this site warn her there is A LOT of bad information there.

No more than at any other forum. Yes, there's A LOT of bad information here, especially when after arrival to USA fiancee will find out that she married an idiot without money :smokin:

I told mine that I was poor before she came here but I promsed she could work 2-3 jobs and make us both very happy :laugh:

Offline AnfieldRiot

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2013, 07:04:11 PM »

Anyone tried to bring a family member in on a visa to attend your wedding ? I've been told there is a special visa for this but I want to say this is false and the interested family member needs to go the usual route.... tourist visa.

question #2.... have any of you applied for an EAD when your other half arrives so that they can work ?  And before anyone wants to get snarky, I'm not looking to put my Mrs to work to support me.... just curious how this process works.

Offline gfinfla

• Spouses Country: Belarus
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2013, 07:15:20 PM »
They will need a tourist visa.

Offline Turboguy

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2013, 06:43:57 AM »

question #2.... have any of you applied for an EAD when your other half arrives so that they can work ?  And before anyone wants to get snarky, I'm not looking to put my Mrs to work to support me.... just curious how this process works.

You apply for the EAD at the same time you apply for adjustment of status.  If you apply at the same time there is no extra charge for the EAD or AP and they send those through pretty quickly.  Usually about 4 -5 weeks. 

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2013, 08:21:17 AM »
  Anyone tried to bring a family member in on a visa to attend your wedding ? I've been told there is a special visa for this but I want to say this is false and the interested family member needs to go the usual route.... tourist visa.

I could be mistaken but as far as I know there are no exceptions for events such as weddings. My wife's cousins family as well as her husbands family were denied VISA's to their wedding here in the US.

It appears you live in Florida as well so I will share our experience. We secured her Social Security number within her 90 day VISA period. If she had a Ukrainian DL  she could have received her FL license at this time from the DMV (or a state ID card). My wife did not and we did not file for AP immediately due to financial reasons. This put her out of status for some time. She was basically in limbo, unable to get her FL DL, work, travel, etc. and having to carry around her passport everywhere. So the sooner you start the process the better off you are.

After filing it took around 4 months to receive her combo card if I recall correctly. Apply for both EAD/AP at the same time to save a little there like Turboguy mentions.

First Interview - We were told documentation was lacking proving we were a legit couple and were almost denied. The house and all the bills were in my name (why would they not be if they were setup that way years ago?), we had separate bank accounts (thought I was doing the right thing by teaching her how to build credit in the US...), etc. so some food for thought on what they look for there. The only thing that saved us is my wife had a million pictures of us together, vacations, and pictures with me and her family in Ukraine.

Offline Q36ESM

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2014, 04:37:14 AM »
Here is another k-1 question...

They want proof of meeting... I have all the plane stubs but it also says you can send a copy of your visa and the pages with the entry and exit stamps... But then any data in a foreign language needs to be translated so do i have to get this information translated and notarized?

Also, i have the registration info when my girlfriend registered me... I thought it would be good as more proof but then it would also need to be translated... Do you guys know how to go about doing all of this?

Thanks!

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2014, 10:49:54 AM »
You don't need to worry about getting anything translated until later on when she is preparing for the interview (i.e. police report. divorce decree, birth certificate, immunization records, etc.).  If you live on the east coast or down south, that will be about 5-7 months down the road.  Just provide ticket stubs, passport visa and stamp photos, hotel receipts, restaurant receipts, luggage claim tickets, boarding passes, etc. and you'll be fine.  Several photos of you together is a big bonus also.  Throw in some chat logs, phone bills, etc. to demonstrate ongoing relationship as well.  Good luck
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline Turboguy

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2014, 11:30:19 AM »
Most of that stuff you don't need to have translated at all.  The bulk of the proof is required at the interview and they speak and read both languages.   The only things you need translated are the things they require to be translated such as her birth certificate.

Boarding passes are considered to be better proof of making a trip than is the ticket.  I guess that is because someone can book a trip, print out everything and then cancel the ticket.

You never know what you will get at the interview.  I have heard of times when the only question they asked was "How are you today?"   I have seen other times when they give someone the third degree.

I had problems with the visa for my first fiancée.  There are lists of questions they might ask over on Visa Journey but make sure she knows everything about your life,  That she knows about your family, their names, you address, your phone number, your birthday, your age, where you have lived and anything else like that.  My first fiancee missed a couple of those and that triggered a red flag.  We got a 221-G (intent to deny) which gives you 30 days to prove you have a real relationship.  That was despite my having made 4 trips to visit her and being outside for the interview.  We did get the visa a few weeks later after submitting a lot of proof.

As far as the EAD/AP if you apply for those the same time you apply for AOS it is free.  If you apply separately there is a charge for each  (this could have changed but that is the way it was when we did it.)

Offline Q36ESM

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2014, 02:01:27 PM »
Awesome! Thank you for the prompt response! My girlfriend has the memory of an elephant so hopefully she won't have any problems but thank you for the head's up.

I know the interview can be rough. I had a friend go through it a while ago and she always seemed stress until it was finally over...