The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Poll

Whats your nationality?

American
192 (52.9%)
Canadian
35 (9.6%)
Australian
16 (4.4%)
United Kingdom
41 (11.3%)
Mainland European
20 (5.5%)
Russian
21 (5.8%)
Ukrainian
5 (1.4%)
Other FSU
3 (0.8%)
Other - tell us below
30 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 354

Author Topic: POLL - The RUA Demographic.  (Read 93220 times)

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: POLL - The RUA Demographic.
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2011, 07:08:37 PM »
under 200 people voted. There are far more members here than that. We can't get a real idea unless more people vote.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2011, 11:28:02 AM »
It is similar to Yulka. In English it is Jules.

no, it is close to Yulichka and Youlenka  or Youlek

Yulka is my cat

ROFL!

Offline el_guero

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2011, 11:31:27 AM »
The poll seems to be closed.

And because of how old it was, a new poll would be best suited to finding out more about our 'target demographic.'

PS:  You might remember that Texas is a separate country and list us separately.

NOTE:  I have no official involvement with the management.  So, 'our' is used in a totally unofficial capacity.  Not that anyone might get their feelings hurt on this board, but I hope 'we' have ruled out anyone getting their feelings hurt.

Offline Manny

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2011, 02:46:33 PM »
The poll should still be active and available to those who haven't voted already?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline el_guero

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2011, 03:04:52 PM »
The poll should still be active and available to those who haven't voted already?

I don't remember voting.  But, 2008 was a long time ago.

Offline happyandstable

• Spouses Country: ukraine
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2011, 09:49:37 AM »
I am Polish, German, English, Scottish, Irish, Dutch, French and Native American. Living in what use to be the independent country of Vermont. Vermont joined the USA after the revolution to help ratify the constitution and to settle old land dispute claim between New Hamshire and New York. Biggest mistake the littlest country in North America ever made most Vermonter's still feel this way 200 or so years later. Is there a Hienz 57 box to check or mutt???  :ROFL:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2011, 03:53:37 PM »
I am Polish, German, English, Scottish, Irish, Dutch, French and Native American. Living in what use to be the independent country of Vermont. Vermont joined the USA after the revolution to help ratify the constitution and to settle old land dispute claim between New Hamshire and New York. Biggest mistake the littlest country in North America ever made most Vermonter's still feel this way 200 or so years later. Is there a Hienz 57 box to check or mutt???  :ROFL:

Matey, you're American.. maybe you had some forefathers who were all these nationalities...  My kids were born of Irish / British parentage and if they have grand kids in the UK they will not be Irish..

Why do so many of our 'cousins from across the pond'  feel this need to be something you're not..

If Europe has a war - again - forget what I just said....  you'll be welcome to join in - late, as usual    :-X

OMG did I just write this?...ah well it needs saying
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2011, 04:07:40 PM »

Matey, you're American.. maybe you had some forefathers who were all these nationalities...  My kids were born of Irish / British parentage and if they have grand kids in the UK they will not be Irish..

Why do so many of our 'cousins from across the pond'  feel this need to be something you're not..

If Europe has a war - again - forget what I just said....  you'll be welcome to join in - late, as usual    :-X

OMG did I just write this?...ah well it needs saying

:ROFL:  :ROFL: Is that the truth!

On the other side Vermont is the only state that has a opt out clause. The other 49 states are married for better or worse!
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online AvHdB

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2011, 04:18:23 PM »
I was born in USA, Northern Montana, just miles from the Canadian border.  Grandmother was born in "South Russia", (Zaporizhia Oblast?) and was 3 when her family emigrated. Grandfather was born in the Oklahoma territory, great grandfather immigrated from "Russian Turkestan" (Orenburg Oblast/Neu Samara?) .  My Father didn't begin to speak English until he was 6 and had to enter public schools.  Grandfather spoke Russian, grandmother spoke Russian and some plattdeutsche.

-david

David, Perhaps you already are aware of this. Your ethnicity is as Russian as it is German and in fact I suspect in Russia you were called Volga German. Perhaps you are no longer active here but it is interesting to read.

I came across this thread looking for something else.

AvHdB

Offline dwfunk

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2011, 02:55:47 PM »
I was born in USA, Northern Montana, just miles from the Canadian border.  Grandmother was born in "South Russia", (Zaporizhia Oblast?) and was 3 when her family emigrated. Grandfather was born in the Oklahoma territory, great grandfather immigrated from "Russian Turkestan" (Orenburg Oblast/Neu Samara?) .  My Father didn't begin to speak English until he was 6 and had to enter public schools.  Grandfather spoke Russian, grandmother spoke Russian and some plattdeutsche.

-david

David, Perhaps you already are aware of this. Your ethnicity is as Russian as it is German and in fact I suspect in Russia you were called Volga German. Perhaps you are no longer active here but it is interesting to read.

I came across this thread looking for something else.

AvHdB

Actually our original ethnicity is Swiss.  Then the family name migrated north in the 1500's, early 1600's.

Somewhere the family split into Prussian and Flemish (Dutch)/Lithuanian (later Russian) branches.  In the mid 1500's my branch of the family lived in Lithuania later called the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth.  The early family was predominately Hutterite, later Mennonite, aligning with many Prussian Mennonites.  One of the ancestral village sites is in modern day Poland.

Sometime in the 1680's, the first family unit moved to Russia at the request of Peter I.  One family branch has an ancestor that was bestowed the title of "Duke" by Peter I.  (whoopee doo!)  (another interesting genealogical historical tidbit)

There are a lot of Russian/German Mennonites with the same name and many were part of the "Volga German" communities.  The name is very common with South German Mennonites,  perhaps part of the Prussian branch of the family.  One of the things we're working on Genealogy wise is finding where all those families connect.

I believe the plattdeutsche came from the inter-action with the Prussian Mennonites and other Volga Germans.

As our main family groups migrated east out of the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth to eventually Russian Turkestan, they spent some time assisting and establishing communities along with the Volga Germans and marrying into many of the other Volga German families.  My family group lived in the Samara Region prior to settling in the Alma Ata region following the Russian conquest of Russian Turkestan.

Many Prussian Funks came to the Eastern US, (think Pennsylvania) pre-revolution and it's possible that some families changed their surname to "French."  Another Genealogy mystery to explore.

My family branch doesn't claim being German in it's history, Swiss/Dutch more than anything and will also admit Flemish/Polish connections pre-Russian. (and possible French, via Napoleons conquests, although I only view that as just an interesting historical tidbit)

-david

Online AvHdB

« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2011, 03:16:15 PM »
David,

The woman from Sumy that I tried to woe was almost the same as your genealogy her great great grandparents on one side were from Switzerland she knew. On the other side her great great parents were farmers along the Volga. Her grandparents were sent East of the Urals. Only 40 years ago her mother ended up in Sumy.

I explained this all to her and she fled from the reality of being Germanic. But in appearance and in spirit she was very different it seemed so obvious to me. It left me very sad.

For what it is worth there is a large Mennonite community with very extensive genealogical records in I want to say Iowa. In Holland (The Hague) there is also an amazing database of genealogical records going back to the middle of the 16th century, and sometimes earlier.

AvHdB

Offline bpike

« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2011, 07:35:04 PM »
David,

The woman from Sumy that I tried to woe was almost the same as your genealogy her great great grandparents on one side were from Switzerland she knew. On the other side her great great parents were farmers along the Volga. Her grandparents were sent East of the Urals. Only 40 years ago her mother ended up in Sumy.

I explained this all to her and she fled from the reality of being Germanic. But in appearance and in spirit she was very different it seemed so obvious to me. It left me very sad.

For what it is worth there is a large Mennonite community with very extensive genealogical records in I want to say Iowa. In Holland (The Hague) there is also an amazing database of genealogical records going back to the middle of the 16th century, and sometimes earlier.

AvHdB

Sorry to hear about your heartbreak... Interesting post, however.

Offline Halo

« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2011, 07:50:45 PM »

It is no surprise to me she fled from this.  Being German was a very dangerous thing in the USSR.  Most of those born after WWII wouldn't even know of their origins.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Manny

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2012, 04:47:29 PM »
I thought I would wake this old topic up a little to get some more votes.  :)
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline CzechMate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2012, 09:59:48 PM »
Someone said to me the other day "Where are all the Americans recently?"

So, today there is a surplus of (ex-military) Americans! :biggrin:
When I shoot, I recover the spent casing and reload the brass.

Offline Uncle

• Ukrain or 'bust'
  • Spouses Country: USA west coast
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2012, 01:20:44 AM »
Awsome tidbits about ethinicity and nationality and even the bit about Vermont (although I think Texas maintains succession rights) was fun: the only thing I know for sure about where people come from is that they left for a reason.

I was reading that over the period of hundreds of years some families traveled, were somoned or transplanted- maybe there were even a few that just stood still and the borders shifted?   :GRRRR:

The most challenging question is not where your family is from but rather where will you be from: Born, lived and such... Governments change and so do borders, the coolest part is planning for the next generation of travelers or true blue traditionalists. 

I had a friend that was born on a boat in international waters, the parents were of two different countries- the ships registration from a third and thier destination was the USA: there ethnicities were distinctly different (one parent a copper top and the other being blonde) but not so much as to make even the child notice.  Upon arrival they were all three exported to Canada Via the Bahama Isles and Mexico... they settled (eventually) in California and lived happily ever after thinking they were just lucky enough to have left before a terrible conflict erupted only days after sailing and the nations that they had called home were no more... The child grew up and left for France via the UK and somewhere in arabia where he married a girl from Italy who had a child whos deceased father was from Argentina... they now live in the newest nation on earth called South Sudan where they had a little girl :)

Uncle
'Swan' poem by Gavriil Derzhavin (c) 1804
'My Thoughts' by Taras Shevchenko (c) 1839
Take they spear, Shake thy Spear, Will I'am...Uncle (C) Dec 2012

Offline bgreed

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2012, 01:47:49 PM »
JUSt another ugly American here.

Offline Mannie4u

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2012, 11:56:06 AM »
Hy every body,

I'm mexican, kind of latin  :thumbsup:

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2012, 05:21:21 PM »
Hy every body,

Welcome Manny !
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Manny

« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2012, 05:25:19 PM »
Hy every body,

Welcome Manny !

That would be Mannie not Manny.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2012, 06:22:35 PM »
Hy every body,

Hi Mannie, Welcome to RUA - read some threads and perhaps make a proper introduction.

So you know Manny owns this tent. AvHdB

Offline dwfunk

« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2013, 11:59:36 PM »

Interesting.

Poll shows that of the respondents, over half are "American" but those numbers aren't that visible in the postings . . .

and picking nits,  ;D  "American"  which ones?  El Norte, El Central, El del sur  ???    Canadians are Americans too; North Americans, as are folks from the USA as are folks from Estados Unidos Mexicanos or United States of Mexico.

:chuckle:

-david

Offline CC3

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2013, 12:17:39 AM »

Interesting.

Poll shows that of the respondents, over half are "American" but those numbers aren't that visible in the postings . . .

and picking nits,  ;D  "American"  which ones?  El Norte, El Central, El del sur  ???    Canadians are Americans too; North Americans, as are folks from the USA as are folks from Estados Unidos Mexicanos or United States of Mexico.

:chuckle:

-david

"American" refers to the nationality, not the continent of origin. The word "America" is an integral part of the official name of the nation: the United States of America. It would be rather awkward phrasing to call its citizens 'USAians', or Unitedians',  or Statesians''. Ukrainians are not 'Europeans' by nationality. Mexicans and Canadians are not 'Americans' by nationality.  :'(
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other *snip* die for his.
George S. Patton

Offline CeeJay

• Spouses Country: Don't care
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2013, 02:35:36 AM »
Other - tell us below...

NEW ZEALAND  tiphat

Offline arpete

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »
American by birth. Great Grandparents came from Sweden.  Great Grandpa's family name was changed at Ellis Island, a fact we did not discover until just a few years ago.  My grandmother's dad changed his name once he was here.  Apparently there were too many Johnsons so he changed it to Holmgren.    We figured that dead end out just this past year.  We found relatives living less than 30 miles from us that we never knew existed.   The Mormans in Salt Lake now have our extensive family records.