Information & Chat > Visas, Legal Paperwork and Other Documentation

Canadian Immigration and Citzenship, CIC for short.

(1/14) > >>

Canadian Immigration and Citzenship, CIC for short.

There is no such thing as a K1 to Canada & there is no such thing as a fiancee Visa to Canada.
You must marry her in her own country before she will be permitted to immigrate.

Some of the differences are that Canada does not have a income requirement to bring a spouse back. Quebec does. CIC told me that it would only be a issue if one was on welfare, than it may be a problem (as I would hope). I also called twice to see if their stories matched , and they did. The first time the guy told me they wouldn't keep you from being with your wife or child, just because you didn't earn enough.
There is only an interview if there's maybe some inconsistencies in the paper work. Or if they suspect the marriage is not genuine. Other than that, she sends her papers to the Embassy in her country of residence, while mine stay in Canada. My papers are looked over,and than they tell me if I am approved to Sponsor, they say it takes 32 days for that answer.
However from the other end in eastern Europe that's where the slow down happens. Moscow is slightly faster than Kiev, while Vienna is a 1/4 of the time.  Majority of the cases (80%) are 6 months from what she told me.

CIC also pointed out there is usually a number of mistakes in her end of the paper process. Missing or incorrect documents, and that's why it takes that much longer.

This is the website

From here you can look at the timelines, percentages and also order the spousal papers and have them delivered to your door, at no charge. May as well use that service it's a 1cm thick, not that all the papers are the ones you need, but it comes as a bundle.

You missed some things Don:
First all paper from both you and your spouse are forwarded by you to CIC here in Mississauga, Ontario.  Thus it is best for you to take hers along and have her complete them prior to you submitting them along with the required visa processing fee including her landing fee to speed matters up.

Time depends some what on the luck of the draw as both my wife's and David28's wife were processed in approximately 3 months.  Yet LPS also here in Toronto had to wait almost one full year and had only 2 weeks after his wife received her visa to arrange for her move to Toronto.  At the moment another friend is going through this process with his wife in Guyana and I have no idea how long that will take as he did not send in all the forms and fees at the beginning, plus ran into some other problems too.

On top of this Don did not go into the details regarding the process or the documents required and legalization needed for a westerner to marry in the FSU in the first place, especially if one has been divorced in the past as well.  This also comes into play as a prerequisite for Canadians planning to marry someone from a foreign country.

Then if your spouse is from Ukraine there is the added question of her getting an Ukranian Exit Visa in order to relocate and live in your country as well.  All of these things complicate the process and add time to the wait for you and your new spouse to finally get to live together in your country.

An alternative of course is for you to do the relocation and live in her country as Richard (Rvrwind) chose to do by moving from Alberta, Canada to Tver, Russia after his marriage in September 2003.


--- Quote ---An alternative of course is for you to do the relocation and live in her country as Richard (Rvrwind) chose to do by moving from Alberta, Canada to Tver, Russia after his marriage in September 2003.
--- End quote ---
Yes, & now that I am returning to Canada you will also find you are mistaken with this statement:

--- Quote ---Canada does not have a income requirement to bring a spouse back.
--- End quote ---
They most assuredly do as we have found out. Because I have not lived in Canada for 4+ years & have not filed income tax there for the same period, nor can I prove that I had gainful employment in Russia, my wife will not be permitted to accompany me to Canada. So in effect they do have certain income requirements under certain circumstances.
 :offtopic: Nice to see you here Wes...A big HI to you & Lora from Valya!

I never heard of the Ukrainian exit visa.  Is this Canada related or would we have to worry about this in other countries like the US.  We are working on filing a spousal visa this month.


Good question Thomas:
As I noted it is an "Ukranian Exit Visa" it is the Ukraine's requirement for all nationals planning to live outside of Ukraine.  Your spouse can and will be questioned when she later returns and then attempts to leave Ukraine to travel back to your country without one.

A long time ago on RWG Doug Salem wrote about how his wife Olga was stopped on 3 visits to Ukraine when she attempted to leave and return to the USA because she did not have the Exit Visa stamp in her Ukraine International Passport!  Finally Olga's mother contacted a local official and arranged for her daughter to obtain one with the usual appropriate gifts, etc.

For us it took longer going through normal channels to obtain the Exit Visa than to obtain the Canadian Visa for Lora.

There is however one downside you need to consider it this as well.  Your spouse will have to sign off on all existing property rights in Ukraine.  That is give up ownership of her flat or house if she has one.  Simple to sign over ownership to a relative as this takes care of the problem.  Thus not everyone from Ukraine applies for an Exist visa as like I noted it means they loose their local passport and give up their Ukraine property rights.  So a lot for you to think about with your Ukranian spouse!

After moving to your country your Ukranian spouse will need to register with the local Ukraine Embassy or Consulate as a Ukranian living abroad in your country.

Hope this helps.  Wes.


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version