The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: All About Nothing Important  (Read 309 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
All About Nothing Important
« on: May 13, 2024, 02:53:49 AM »
I've been doing more work with AI image creation. Here are some examples that did not end up being published.

This stuff is getting pretty good. :)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: All About Nothing Important
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 04:38:14 AM »
What site or platform are you using for this?
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 08:55:11 AM »

I used Midjourney for these, but I use several other tools as well. Midjourney is accessed through their Discord server, until you have done enough images to graduate to their brand new web-based setup.

https://docs.midjourney.com/docs/quick-start

For quick, free images, try Microsoft Image Creator: https://create.microsoft.com/en-us/features/ai-image-generator That platform uses Dall-e, which offers a paid option with more options than Microsoft's freebie.

I am thinking about making Midjourney's version of Taylor Swift my 'house model'

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 05:22:46 AM »

I used Midjourney for these, but I use several other tools as well. Midjourney is accessed through their Discord server, until you have done enough images to graduate to their brand new web-based setup.

https://docs.midjourney.com/docs/quick-start

For quick, free images, try Microsoft Image Creator: https://create.microsoft.com/en-us/features/ai-image-generator That platform uses Dall-e, which offers a paid option with more options than Microsoft's freebie.

I am thinking about making Midjourney's version of Taylor Swift my 'house model'

You will be one step away from AI!
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 08:47:10 AM »
By house model, I meant for images on several jewellery sites.

Not some kind of ersatz replacement of a real human in my life - although that might sometimes be easier. ;)

Online AvHdB

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2024, 08:28:39 PM »

Not some kind of ersatz replacement of a real human in my life - although that might sometimes be easier. ;)

While possibly worthy of a stand alone topic, what are the feelings regarding lab grown diamonds versus earth mined diamonds?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2024, 01:34:45 AM »

While possibly worthy of a stand alone topic, what are the feelings regarding lab grown diamonds versus earth mined diamonds?

Whose feelings? What feelings?

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2024, 04:10:47 AM »
While possibly worthy of a stand alone topic, what are the feelings regarding lab grown diamonds versus earth mined diamonds?[/size][/font]

I looked into this a while back. They are technically the same, but one just costs more.  ;D

Andrew is an authority on diamonds nowadays though.  :coffeeread:
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2024, 07:16:26 AM »
While possibly worthy of a stand alone topic, what are the feelings regarding lab grown diamonds versus earth mined diamonds?[/size][/font]

I looked into this a while back. They are technically the same, but one just costs more.  ;D

Andrew is an authority on diamonds nowadays though.  :coffeeread:

Mined diamonds aren't rare and there's little to no difference in the quality of man-made vs mined diamonds. Mined diamonds were never actually rare, the mines were owned by a select few who bought and fed the world that they were rare. It's only a perception that they are rare.

Offline Jonas!

• Spouses Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2024, 09:19:50 PM »
My younger daughter has a business involving diamonds and lab grown diamonds.  She sells pieces every day.  Seems the lab grown diamonds are more popular nowadays.   My own suspicion is the market will be heading to a race to the bottom on pricing. She gets her merchandise from China and India mainly.  They compete against each other, and it hasn't been a great idea for her to hold onto any piece too long as the price goes down.   I don't see why prices won't continue to go down since more labs are popping up so the market will be oversaturated at some point.   

Online AvHdB

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 01:37:39 AM »
The assessments are correct. Curious though does anyone know why lab grown diamonds were first created?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 03:59:33 AM »
The assessments are correct. Curious though does anyone know why lab grown diamonds were first created?

because there was a demand for large quantities in non-jewelry applications. (circuits, dentist drill, etc)
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online AvHdB

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 06:10:25 AM »

because there was a demand for large quantities in non-jewelry applications. (circuits, dentist drill, etc)

Circuits, only problem is carbon conducts electricity in one direction. The idea and different groups, in the United States, the Netherlands and elsewhere attempted to create a ‘bi-polar’ carbon crystal. This would be the foundation of a new computer chip making silica chips obsolete. If ever successful this would be the next quantum leap for computers.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 07:45:42 AM »

Circuits, only problem is carbon conducts electricity in one direction. The idea and different groups, in the United States, the Netherlands and elsewhere attempted to create a ‘bi-polar’ carbon crystal. This would be the foundation of a new computer chip making silica chips obsolete. If ever successful this would be the next quantum leap for computers.

The industrial applications for diamond are large and near endless. Diamond is currently the hardest surface known to man. The mined diamond market is unable or more likely unwilling to provide those demands. I could be wrong but the need evolved from cutting and drilling on the industrial scale and then into manufacturing circuits, chips etc.. It would appear technology will eventually catch up in the diamond market as it has many other markets. At some point quality diamonds likely be produced for cheap trinkets as common as plastic beads.

Again, mined diamonds have never been rare, just owned by a select few with the capital to muscle their way into a very limited market

Online AvHdB

« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 09:10:26 AM »
Again, mined diamonds have never been rare, just owned by a select few with the capital to muscle their way into a very limited market

It should be noted the largest producer of mined diamonds is Russia, in both commercial and jewelry. Oddly enough while the jewelry qua the 3 C’s are identical, Russian diamonds tend to be ‘colder’, this is due to the reality they are more fluorescent than say African diamonds.