The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Legacy  (Read 169 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Legacy
« on: February 13, 2024, 07:50:14 PM »

Offline B.B.

• Supporting Member
Re: Legacy
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 08:48:24 AM »
Solzhenitsyn was a funny cat.  Very brave and erudite man.

For some reason he had this idea that there should be a "Great Slavic State" involving Russia, Belarus, and Ukraine (and, IIRC, also Kazakstan, but don't quote me on that.)  Like many Russians, he was blinded to his own Russian nationalism; to wit, he believed this, regardless of what, say, the Ukrainians (in particular) and the Belarussians felt about it.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.