The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: A Trip to South Korea, China and Hong Kong  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: A Trip to South Korea, China and Hong Kong
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2023, 05:33:49 PM »
Were you happy to see your wife after 2 1/2 weeks?  :chuckle:

I'm not quite sure how to take your comment in light of the emoji. It gives off mixed signals - which can happen online. But I'll answer it in good faith.

Of course, I was happy to see her, and she brought our daughter to the airport too. She was quite happy driving my car instead of hers for two weeks or so, and that started the conversation about how she might prefer an RR Sport to her current Evoque.  :chuckle:

The nature of our business means one of us should be there as we haven't suitable staff to replace both of us - unless my son is free (he's in university now). So we only get to holiday together if it ties in with public or university holidays.

We're not the kind of couple that needs to be joined at the hip. We both think a little bit of time apart does us the world of good and is very healthy. She goes to Russia for five weeks or so in the summer, I tend to go to China once or twice a year. Neither of us is jealous or insecure. We stay in constant touch. I used to join her in Russia, but I seldom do now. She has been with me to China, but as most of it is work, she isn't that interested. She declined to join me in North Korea when I went, saying she grew up under Communism and didn't need to revisit it. But when she saw my photos, she wished she had gone.

I've always been a bit of a traveller. It's in the blood. My Great-Grandfather went to Russia and "Arabia" (as it was called) in the 30s for reasons we never really worked out. But he came back with some money. I like going to new places. I especially like going to places most people don't go to. Why I went to Estonia first in 98 (when nobody could find it on a map), later to Russia (hence this site), and in 2019 to North Korea. This time I did South Korea. Next time I'll do Tokyo. On my list after that is Vietnam, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Cambodia, and the Philippines. My wife says she is coming to Thailand and the Philippines with me, for reasons we all understand.  :chuckle:

We are thinking we might retire to somewhere in South East Asia in the future, perhaps Thailand, where some of my pals live. I am the pilot fish, the canary in the coal mine. I suss out places we might both want to visit and check out. After this visit to Hong Kong, we are thinking of spending some time there together over Christmas and New Year. In the Kowloon Shangri-la, naturally.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2023, 11:35:57 PM »
Well I did not mean the question to have any mixed signals at all, just thought that after a couple of weeks you two would be happy to see each other.

And I agree that couples should be able to take a small break sometimes since as they say "absence makes the heart grow fonder".

Have you thought of visiting certain famous cities in Europe for a Holiday? I was in Paris once for a Holiday and that was nice. 

Online Guile

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2023, 12:35:14 AM »
I lived in Hong Kong for a few months while on a university sabbatical to see if I would like it.  My mom was born there so I could get a Right of abode card through her and live/work there...but I realized HK wasn't the place for me.  even as a Chinese who could speak the language but my mentality was all western. I didn't get along with the locals and hung out more in expat spots. funny enough I met a few overseas born Chinese who were back in HK for work.  I made friends with them easier.

I need places where there's more diversity.  London has that.  Moscow is mainly Russian of course but I actually get along well with Russian people. the temperament is more on the same wavelength.  i have a few Russian friends who studied in China so I can speak 3 languages with them. usually we default to English but their Mandarin is actually better than mine in terms of vocab and knowledge.

I did visit Bangkok, would like to spend more time there to see if it's a place worth living in short term.

Paris is nice but the French are absolute sh*t with tourists. Most unwelcoming bunch of ppl i've ever encountered.

Offline Manny

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2023, 04:54:38 AM »
Have you thought of visiting certain famous cities in Europe for a Holiday? I was in Paris once for a Holiday and that was nice.

We've done pretty much everywhere interesting in Europe as it's right on the doorstep. Most of Europe, Hungary and Poland aside, have the same problems as the UK.

I lived in Hong Kong for a few months while on a university sabbatical to see if I would like it.  My mom was born there so I could get a Right of abode card through her and live/work there...but I realized HK wasn't the place for me.  even as a Chinese who could speak the language but my mentality was all western. I didn't get along with the locals and hung out more in expat spots. funny enough I met a few overseas born Chinese who were back in HK for work.  I made friends with them easier.

I need places where there's more diversity.  London has that.  Moscow is mainly Russian of course but I actually get along well with Russian people. the temperament is more on the same wavelength.  i have a few Russian friends who studied in China so I can speak 3 languages with them. usually we default to English but their Mandarin is actually better than mine in terms of vocab and knowledge.

I did visit Bangkok, would like to spend more time there to see if it's a place worth living in short term.

Paris is nice but the French are absolute sh*t with tourists. Most unwelcoming bunch of ppl i've ever encountered.

I agree with you about the French.

London has rather too much diversity for me, indigenous Brits are a minority there now. And the crime rate is very high as a result and the streets aren't really safe there.

Did you ever get to the south of Hong Kong island? When I was looking at the map, I wondered what that was like. I had a quick look around Stanley on street view and it looks much quieter than the rest of HK and quite nice. I might go and have a look there when we go back.

A lot of people here have an eye on moving somewhere abroad now. A lot of things that should have got better under the Conservatives the last decade or so haven't. We are likely to get a Labour government soon that will probably be in power for a decade, and they will make everything many times worse, as always. People like Asia I guess as it's perceived as cheap with a decent standard of living in many places.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Offline Manny

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2023, 04:34:15 AM »

Online Guile

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2023, 04:57:06 AM »

London has rather too much diversity for me, indigenous Brits are a minority there now. And the crime rate is very high as a result and the streets aren't really safe there.

Did you ever get to the south of Hong Kong island? People like Asia I guess as it's perceived as cheap with a decent standard of living in many places.

Yeah the honest truth is if you walk in central London you'll see more non-white people than anglo saxon white "brits".  I've always felt safe in London but I hear crime is up alot.  Never had anyone try to rob me or pester me as a tourist.

I didn't venture down to HK island too much.  Stayed in Kowloon mainly for the shopping, eating...  It's been so long that I'd need time to figure out where things are.  London and Moscow I know like the back of my hand but not HK.

Many Russians like to go to Thailand as they don't need a visa there.   I just never found as much appeal to live in Asia.  I like the south of France, Nice, Monaco but it's very expensive there.  Spain is a popular expat place for many Brits. lots of sunny, cheap..you ever thought of living there?

With Brexit now it's made things more difficult. would UK passport holders need a visa to live in EU countries?

Offline Manny

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2023, 05:03:32 AM »
So I enjoyed Hong Kong that much, we're all going there for a week over New Year. Back in the Shangri-la. Should be some nice fireworks over the harbour.  :-*

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5

Online Guile

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2023, 03:41:07 AM »
So I enjoyed Hong Kong that much, we're all going there for a week over New Year. Back in the Shangri-la. Should be some nice fireworks over the harbour.  :-*

What airline are you taking this time and is it a direct flight?  I know British Airways and Cathay do that route but not sure if the China airlines do..

I am tempted to go for Chinese new year next year... If I got christmas holidays off I'd consider it too..I'm lucky that I can get free flights through my company.  Would be cool to do a proper HK dinner with you and any other forum member who can get over there!

Offline Manny

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2023, 06:05:48 AM »

Congratulations!  :party0011:

Is this the same Hotel? Looks very nice.

https://www.shangri-la.com/en/hongkong/islandshangrila/offer-detail/rooms-suites/isl-christmas-holiday-getaway-2023/?cid=ISL_OFFERS_MIDDLE_BANNER_TACTICAL-HOTEL_ROOMSSUITES-ISL_EN-NA-IslChristmasHolidayGetaway2023

https://www.shangri-la.com/en/hongkong/islandshangrila/rooms-suites/rooms/deluxe-harbour-view-room/

Thats the HK island one, I am in the Kowloon one. Same kind of money though.

What airline are you taking this time and is it a direct flight?  I know British Airways and Cathay do that route but not sure if the China airlines do..

I am tempted to go for Chinese new year next year... If I got christmas holidays off I'd consider it too..I'm lucky that I can get free flights through my company.  Would be cool to do a proper HK dinner with you and any other forum member who can get over there!

It was a PIA to book actually. I ended up booking direct flights from Amsterdam with Cathay, and arranging my own connecting flights to/from AMS. The options offered otherwise were silly connections or 2 and 3 connections. It's big doh though, Business Class especially. So if you can get free flights, grab it with both hands.

Online Guile

« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2023, 01:00:37 AM »

It was a PIA to book actually. I ended up booking direct flights from Amsterdam with Cathay, and arranging my own connecting flights to/from AMS. The options offered otherwise were silly connections or 2 and 3 connections. It's big doh though, Business Class especially. So if you can get free flights, grab it with both hands.

I work for an airline company so I get free flights. However this is standby travel and based on seniority, so I'm competing with all my fellow employees for those seats.

From my city there is 1 direct flight to HK. but I basically have no chance to get on as this is a very popular route with all the Chinese based here.  I have been able to get to Europe and even in business class. I lucked out as travel during covid was not as high but travel is close to pre-covid numbers now.

Most airlines have a loyalty program. 

I would never pay cash fare for business class even if I had the money.  Just not worth it.  But if you know how to play the loyalty points game you can find really great value for business class seats.  The big international ones are Aeroplan, Avios, Cathay Asia miles, British Airways Avios, OneWorld.

Interestingly some Asian carriers have what they call 5th freedom flights which are flights between 2 cities neither being their home base.  So EVA air the Taiwan airline has a Vienna to Bangkok flight.  And you can find good deals esp in business class.

The middle eastern carriers have some really good routes.  If you go back to China, you can do Dubai or Abu Dhabi to Guangzhou direct on Emirates or Etihad then drive or take a train to HK.

Online Guile

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2023, 01:02:08 AM »
hey Manny, have you ever been to Hainan Island?  I would like to see this place next time I am in HK.  I've heard it has a very laid back and tropical feel and the vibe is much different than mainland China.

Also the famous hainanese chicken dish is supposed to originate from there.

Offline Manny

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2023, 04:32:33 AM »
hey Manny, have you ever been to Hainan Island?  I would like to see this place next time I am in HK.  I've heard it has a very laid back and tropical feel and the vibe is much different than mainland China.

Also the famous hainanese chicken dish is supposed to originate from there.

I haven't, and it's not far away from where I go either. Might be a nice side trip next time I'm in China.

Good thoughts on the points. I'll quote you above and start a topic.