The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Weight Lifting vs Diet  (Read 1321 times)

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
Re: Weight Lifting vs Diet
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2024, 12:48:31 PM »
I dropped significant weight after I moved to Florida.  Sure I was outside more, but I was doing a lot of walking and I got about a mile from the house and wondered if I was going to make it back - this was crazy bc despite being a big guy I had always been quite fit aerobically, walked daily and worked out a lot, but to no avail in terms of weight loss.

So I got into a clinic and had some tests done and the doctor looked at the numbers and said "Let me guess...you work out a lot but can never drop weight?"  Me: "Exactly."

I switched to a super low carb diet and the Weight. Flew. Off.  I lost 50+ of fat and seven inches off of my waist. It turns out I was insulin resistant bc of diet and meds (Big Pharma doesn't like it when people get better.  A customer cured is a customer lost.)

So yeah I feel great.  Have sort of flatlined on the weight loss, but I've already picked the low-hanging fruit.  Still as I understand it the equation is that every pound of weight loss equates to 4 pounds less pressure on your leg joints.  Plus you just feel better.

Anyway, if you are working out but no results, fix your diet and check to see if you are insulin resistant.  Doing that changed my life.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2024, 05:51:35 AM »
Anyway, if you are working out but no results, fix your diet and check to see if you are insulin resistant.  Doing that changed my life.

Great news. Very good to hear.

That would be an HbA1C test I guess?

I went to see a very good private doctor recently for an in-depth checkup. He told me to lose weight. I suggested Ozempic, he suggested less wine first and we'll revisit it in 3 months. So after halving my wine consumption, I lost absolutely zero kg.  :chuckle:

More recently, I've been following some nutritionist blokes on Twitter. I've switched to full-fat natural milk from semi-skimmed, anything that I can buy that is available organic, I get. I've dropped everything I can with rapeseed/canola in, and boy, it's in almost everything! And I've ramped up my use of expensive olive oil. All those extra calories from the oil and milk, and my weight has started to drift down. Go figure.

The premise of the bloke and a doctor I have been following is basically to avoid anything you couldn't buy 50 years ago. Apart from processed food which we all know about, the enemy within seems to be rapeseed/canola oil (and that corn syrup stuff in the US). It is the common denominator in fat countries over the timeline of its availability; post WW2.

Natural fats of any kind - fine. Seed oils - not. Avoid bread unless you make it yourself (and I tried that with good results - it's easy peasy).

And my knees had become painful over the last year or so. The right one has cured itself and the left is almost gone too. Forget cod liver oil tablets, just drench everything in olive oil.  :nod:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2024, 12:28:24 PM »
In 2012-2014 I lost just a tad over 100lbs and I have kept it off. I didn't take any drugs of any kind to do it.

For me, it wasn't how much I ate at all, it was what I ate. To start with I cut out the bread and all fried foods, no sweets candies, cakes or pies. (it was at this time I discovered I was type 2 diabetes) Cut out all of the unnatural foods, chips snacks and anything cooked or preserved in the "crap" as I call it. The various seed oils, salts and preservatives. No pasta, no flour. I know that sounds like just about everything but it really isn't. You can eat as much of anything as you like as long as it is natural and your body knows what to do with.

After you begin to lose some weight you can even test which of those things your body has a problem with.

Drink up, wine isn't fattening neither is liquor, beer not so much. You'd have to drink a lot of it for it to add the pounds. Organic is good. The "pure" expensive olive oil is worth it if you are eating it directly. The crappier stuff is okay to cook with.

There is a good movie on Netflix or it use to be on there you should watch. "Forks over knives". Really good information about the food industry and the way they've been poisoning us for the last 50-75 years

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2024, 07:35:44 PM »
Great news. Very good to hear.

I agree.  :chuckle:

That would be an HbA1C test I guess?

IIRC that's to see if you have C-reactive protein that's out of whack and indicates a heart attack.  The specific test, I do not recall as this was 3 or so years ago.

I went to see a very good private doctor recently for an in-depth checkup. He told me to lose weight. I suggested Ozempic, he suggested less wine first and we'll revisit it in 3 months. So after halving my wine consumption, I lost absolutely zero kg.  :chuckle:

If you are not already on a low-carb diet, start being on one, stay away from cigs, drugs, too much booze, etc.  I have mostly stopped drinking these days.  If I am on vacation, ok, but otherwise it's very rare.

Sugar is the enemy, really.

More recently, I've been following some nutritionist blokes on Twitter. I've switched to full-fat natural milk from semi-skimmed, anything that I can buy that is available organic, I get. I've dropped everything I can with rapeseed/canola in, and boy, it's in almost everything! And I've ramped up my use of expensive olive oil. All those extra calories from the oil and milk, and my weight has started to drift down. Go figure.

Seed oils are the devil.

The premise of the bloke and a doctor I have been following is basically to avoid anything you couldn't buy 50 years ago. Apart from processed food which we all know about, the enemy within seems to be rapeseed/canola oil (and that corn syrup stuff in the US). It is the common denominator in fat countries over the timeline of its availability; post WW2.

Yes, exactly. 

Natural fats of any kind - fine. Seed oils - not. Avoid bread unless you make it yourself (and I tried that with good results - it's easy peasy).

Yes, and cut back on sugar and carbs.

And my knees had become painful over the last year or so. The right one has cured itself and the left is almost gone too. Forget cod liver oil tablets, just drench everything in olive oil.  :nod:

Dropping weight helps your joints.  I walk for 60-90 minutes a day, usually at night and listening to podcasts or music or whatever.  I have also been doing resistance training, so my triceps, lats and delts are doing well (and ladies love those muscle groups).  I also get regular massage and get adjusted by a chiropractor 1-2x month.  I tried acupuncture - a few people I know swear by it - but it doesn't do a thing for me. 

I should also start up with some Ashtanga ("power") yoga again, because anything that helps your core is good.

Good luck to you, Manny.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online BC

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2024, 11:27:36 PM »
And I've ramped up my use of expensive olive oil.

Forget cod liver oil tablets, just drench everything in olive oil.  :nod:

Indeed, good-quality olive oil enhances flavor. It's good for salads, meats, and just about anything else. Drizzle some on your next steak instead of butter... Works wonders for your digestive tract. Be careful where you buy. With prices doubled this year there are many fakes floating around. Here, we buy direct from family friends who have their own olive trees and pick themselves. Nowadays, prices for the best homemade olive oil is around 12-15 EUR per liter.  We use around 20 liters per year and most of that goes in me :)  Two tablespoons per day is around 10 liters per year.

Offline Manny

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2024, 05:42:22 AM »
Yes to the quality, I'm on the organic Duchy one. Duchy is the Prince of Wales' (now King) brand. The price is about what you mentioned.

Italy is the place to get the best stuff though I guess. So you are blessed in that regard.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
Weight Lifting vs Diet
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2024, 09:40:18 AM »
I lost about half of what you did, now I am trying to firm up a bit.
130kg to 102kg

all fried foods

I don't count anything I grill on my gas grill outside as fried.
Angel Eyes makes all sorts of soups (and Borscht). I eat all of them

For me, it wasn't how much I ate at all, it was what I ate.

I agree

Cut out all of the unnatural foods

Angel Eyes has did that for us, the day she moved in.

The "pure" expensive olive oil is worth it if you are eating it directly. The crappier stuff is okay to cook with.

We have been buying the cheapest canola oil. I am going to change to
olive oil starting today.
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2024, 09:38:27 PM »
I lost about half of what you did, now I am trying to firm up a bit.
130kg to 102kg

For me, it was all about learning to eat different/better. I did and even after losing the weight eventually I started evening out I guess. For the first 2 years I was losing weight steadily but not dramatically. Whereas for most of my life I just steadily put the weight on until I found myself at 325lbs and had a heart attack

I don't count anything I grill on my gas grill outside as fried.
Angel Eyes makes all sorts of soups (and Borscht). I eat all of them

I'm a son of the South so when I refer to something being fried, I'm referring to deep fat fried. In the South we fry almost everything and most of it is very delicious but it's bad for us. But I know what you're speaking of. My wife uses the term "fry" very loosely too. Anything cooked on the grill in my way of thinking isn't fried and certainly better for you than deep fried. Although, I have cooked chicken on the grill  that could fool you into thinking it was deep fried but, I digress

I agree

If you are eating the right foods, you can literally eat until you explode with no weight gain

Cut out all of the unnatural foods

Angel Eyes has did that for us, the day she moved in.

My wife also has very good eating habits and has I suspect all of her life. She now near 60 and still a very attractive woman. I would have been ahead in the game if I had followed her lead when we got married. I didn't and at that point in my life I had always eaten anything and everything I wanted with no perceived ill effects other than weight gain which really see-sawed up/down all my life. But alas, then came the heart attack, clogged arteries and diabetes

The "pure" expensive olive oil is worth it if you are eating it directly. The crappier stuff is okay to cook with.

We have been buying the cheapest canola oil. I am going to change to
olive oil starting today.
[/quote]

Canola oil with kill you as most all vegetable oil will. It's pretty much synthetic. Much olive oil is either mixed, blended, faked or substituted. Do the research. If you're cooking with oil (not frying) I'd recommend using the real but cheaper olive oil (*hore oil I call it) as it's not extra virgin. If you are deep frying use peanut oil. Georgia the state not the country is where I've been getting my extra virgin olive oil. It's 100 percent fresh, pureand tastes delicious. The price is pretty close to what Manny quoted. I'm paying $30-35 for a 16.5 oz bottle

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2024, 06:19:09 PM »

For me, it was all about learning to eat different/better. I did and even after losing the weight eventually I started evening out I guess. For the first 2 years I was losing weight steadily but not dramatically. Whereas for most of my life I just steadily put the weight on until I found myself at 325lbs and had a heart attack

Does this look like the real stuff?

Linky

Udachi!
Bill

Edited by: B/B
Reason: Fix link.
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2024, 03:53:14 AM »

Linky

Udachi!
Bill

Edited by: B/B
Reason: Fix link.

Uh no, that would be the Slutty olive oil. It's good for cooking or rather it does contain some degree of olive oil but as to how much would be anyone's guess. Certainly it is much better for cooking than the canola, sunflower or other vegetable oils and seed oils you're cooking in currently. Again, those are synthetic. Literally you would be better off cooking in pure lard.

It's not IMHO the oil one would want to eat as in directly in your mouth or on foods, salads, etc.. Pure virgin olive oil is one of the most counterfeit products on the market. There are a couple of decent OOs in Walmart but most folks turn away from them because of the price.

The Walmart brand of olive oil is Pompeian from the same company, same bottle just a different label. It tastes like I'd imagine poo would taste. Real virgin olive oil tastes delicious and because of that comes with a higher price tag. It has slightly different tastes depending on the type olives and the area they are grown. It is believed that real olive oil is natures antioxidant.

I have noticed in recent years stores (usually in the artsy-fartsy tourist areas) openings up completely devoted to olive oil offering many different oils. They are usually expensive but well worth checking out.

This is where I get my good stuff from https://oliveorchardsofgeorgia.com/

Online BC

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2024, 04:40:12 AM »

Seems this brand has a history, but maybe improved since.
https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/business/europe/dcoop-pompeian-under-fire-for-deceptive-labeling/64058

Is listed here https://www.aboutoliveoil.org/certified-olive-oil-list  This association says they do testing but strangely enough do not post results of their 'testing' or methods they use.

YMMV

I'd probably stick to something on this list:
https://www.consumerreports.org/health/cooking-oils/how-to-choose-a-good-extra-virgin-olive-oil-a8557720032/

Then again, this seems to be taste testing only.

So many variables involved.  olives picked from tree or swept up from the ground after laying there a couple days or more.  Cold pressed or oil extracted by factory like process using heat etc.  How long has it been in transport or on the shelf since pressed, and on and on.

I would try olive oils from California. Will probably be fresher than anything else.

Snooping around a bit I would try this :
https://www.amazon.com/California-Olive-Ranch-Vibrant-Certified/dp/B08XY6RQHX

Offline Manny

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2024, 03:09:20 PM »
Personally, I’d not be buying it off Amazon. The huge fees they charge sellers means less left for product and more oil going in Jeff’s spaceship. That goes for anything on Amazon. Don’t feed the beast. Shop direct.

I’m curious about the link Bill posted, the details say only olive oil in it, how are you guys deciding it’s a blend?

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2024, 07:51:46 AM »
Personally, I’d not be buying it off Amazon. The huge fees they charge sellers means less left for product and more oil going in Jeff’s spaceship. That goes for anything on Amazon. Don’t feed the beast. Shop direct.

I’m curious about the link Bill posted, the details say only olive oil in it, how are you guys deciding it’s a blend?

I don't and you can't tell from that one view of the label but, through trial and error I have tasted that particular oil before. Labels do lie. It tastes really bad to be 100% and it maybe 100% olive oil but if so, it's a lower grade. Once you've tasted dozens of different companies and oils, one gets a good sense of high grade vs low and pure vs counterfeit

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2024, 06:00:32 PM »

maybe 100% olive oil but if so, it's a lower grade.

The same can be said of wine, there are huge variations in quality and taste.
We can use the lower quality to sauté mushrooms for a sauce and the better
stuff for dipping and eating directly.   

My wife agrees with the program of eliminating the canola/corn oils.

Offline Manny

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2024, 07:23:29 PM »
I agree with that. We use cheaper olive or avocado oil (glass bottles only) for frying, etc., and the expensive stuff for pouring on stuff.

Mayo is something else made with rapeseed/canola usually. It’s easy peasy and takes moments to make your own with better oil. Nicer if you use lemon juice and mustard.