The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: How to Access Russian Websites Such as RT from the West.  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
How to Access Russian Websites Such as RT from the West.
« on: October 01, 2022, 06:24:40 AM »
It's only just beginning to dawn on many in the west that our internet is now heavily censored in the manner of the Chinese internet wall that prevents the Chinese easily accessing sites the CCP dont approve of.

Sites such as RT are blocked in the UK and much of the EU. Westy yesterday was unable to access a link about Russian news from Canada. kremlin.ru doesnt work for many, etc. Our governments don't want us to access alternative points of view.

To get around this, one would use a VPN, the VPN I use is a paid one that you can find here: >>Nord VPN<<.

Nord VPN is an excellent platform with both desktop and phone apps that allows you to choose a country to surf from. So for example, if RT doesnt work from one location, two clicks later you change to another and those web pages that wouldnt open now will. I find South Korea, Argentina and Albania fine for accessing most Russian sites.

There are a few free browser based free VPNs that are typically less reliable and much slower, if anyone uses one, they are free to add the link below.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online BC

Re: How to Access Russian Websites Such as RT from the West.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 07:23:05 AM »
rt.com works fine here in Italy without a VPN. It also works at our house in the US.  Even works over starlink sat.

Yes, NordVPN is the best service out there IMO.  Unfortunately, it won't allow you to access via a server in RU.  Why? - see the link below

https://nordvpn.com/blog/nordvpn-servers-roskomnadzor-russia/

As noted in my previous post on this subject, any blocking can be done from either side.  kremlin.ru might well be blocked on the RU side...  one can however easily access en.kremlin.ru everywhere I know of.

Offline Manny

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 05:14:00 AM »
I’m curious if the Pirate Bay is blocked in Italy or the US as it is by most providers in the UK?

https://thepiratebay.org/index.html

Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Online BC

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 06:09:14 AM »
Manny,

works ok in Italy vodafone fiber, via Starlink and in the US via spectrum.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 08:54:40 AM »
I’m curious if the Pirate Bay is blocked in Italy or the US as it is by most providers in the UK?

https://thepiratebay.org/index.html
Works fine here in NL too.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 10:31:43 AM »
It's only just beginning to dawn on many in the west that our internet is now heavily censored in the manner of the Chinese internet wall that prevents the Chinese easily accessing sites the CCP dont approve of.

Sites such as RT are blocked in the UK and much of the EU. Westy yesterday was unable to access a link about Russian news from Canada. kremlin.ru doesnt work for many, etc. Our governments don't want us to access alternative points of view.

To get around this, one would use a VPN, the VPN I use is a paid one that you can find here: >>Nord VPN<<.

Nord VPN is an excellent platform with both desktop and phone apps that allows you to choose a country to surf from. So for example, if RT doesnt work from one location, two clicks later you change to another and those web pages that wouldnt open now will. I find South Korea, Argentina and Albania fine for accessing most Russian sites.

There are a few free browser based free VPNs that are typically less reliable and much slower, if anyone uses one, they are free to add the link below.

RT.com and Kremlin.ru are both working fine today.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 02:19:07 PM »

RT.com and Kremlin.ru are both working fine today.

I'm curious if RT.com and Kremlin.ru still work in Canada or the US without a VPN?

Online BC

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 03:33:42 PM »
I'm curious if RT.com and Kremlin.ru still work in Canada or the US without a VPN?

US Yes.

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2023, 06:24:19 AM »

US Yes.

What about Italy nowadays? I thought they were blocked EU wide now? Upthread they worked for you a year ago there.

Online BC

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2023, 06:39:42 AM »
What about Italy nowadays? I thought they were blocked EU wide now? Upthread they worked for you a year ago there.

Both work fine with Starlink, fixed and mobile network in Italy.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2023, 05:15:13 PM »
My ISP blackholes the rt.com internet-address in name only. so if I use a different DNS-provider (like google or cloudflare whom are free), I can visit rt.com no problem.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Manny

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2023, 01:23:04 PM »
My ISP blackholes the rt.com internet-address in name only. so if I use a different DNS-provider (like google or cloudflare whom are free), I can visit rt.com no problem.

Can you tell non techies how to do that?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2023, 03:24:13 PM »

Can you tell non techies how to do that?
Sure,

Usually your ISP has instructions on "DNS" settings , in their manual for internet connection in case the automatic stuff does not work.

Instead of setting your ISP settings here, you fill out either 8.8.8.8 (google) , or 1.1.1.1 (cloudflare).

Both are legitimate fully legal options and also free of charge as a service from these 2 companies.

This is a rather "techie" article, but it does have screenshots how to do it :
https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-change-the-dns-settings-on-your-windows-pc/

This one is also accessible to the non-techies, but you do need to feel comfortable editing windows settings:
https://www.howtogeek.com/786911/how-to-change-your-dns-server-on-windows-10/

And if both google/cloudflare block DNS for www.rt.com as well, here's a more complete list of free public DNS providers

https://www.wizcase.com/blog/best-free-public-dns-servers/ (I would think yandex DNS will not block RT.com!!!  :laugh:)
Mark.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Manny

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2023, 02:04:30 PM »
The debate about Canada and Trudeau has been moved to General Chat .

https://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=30299.0

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2023, 11:46:27 AM »
Works fine here in NL too.

I typed RT.com in my Chrome Browser and the site popped up. I think they have
been blocking RT articles from their news results rather than blocking the site
itself, but I haven't been keeping up with Google and their fiddling with things
for a while.
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Manny

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2023, 06:08:04 AM »
I just found another site blocked in the UK: https://journal-neo.org/

It's even delisted from Google and Wiki's page on it doesn't link to it.  :coffeeread:

Another one I need to use a VPN to access. What don't they want you to know? They want everyone consuming garbage like Yahoo and MSN like Tex.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2023, 07:09:02 AM »
I just found another site blocked in the UK: https://journal-neo.org/

It's even delisted from Google and Wiki's page on it doesn't link to it.  :coffeeread:

Another one I need to use a VPN to access. What don't they want you to know? They want everyone consuming garbage like Yahoo and MSN like Tex.

Looks like that domain does not exist at all, not even yandexs dns gives me answers.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Manny

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2023, 02:23:29 PM »
It's not on Google.

ila_rendered

It's on Yandex.

ila_rendered

But you're right, connecting via Albania, Vietnam or Turkey with the VPN doesn't load it. Most odd. It's a huge site, I've written for them in the past. Maybe it's been hacked?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2023, 03:18:02 PM »

But you're right, connecting via Albania, Vietnam or Turkey with the VPN doesn't load it. Most odd. It's a huge site, I've written for them in the past. Maybe it's been hacked?
perhaps its changed to a webhoster without its own domain now ?

The last link of the image on yandex looks promising, and it loads fine:
https://journal-neo.livejournal.com/
OO===[][]===OO