The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Travel help Ukraine  (Read 1171 times)

Online sailor291

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Travel help Ukraine
« on: June 04, 2023, 12:53:18 PM »
Due to an emergency situation in Western Ukraine, it may be necessary for my wife and I to travel to Chernivtsi Ukraine.  Does anybody have any information about transportation from the Romanian or Polish border crossings to Chernivtsi?  We can fly to  either Bucharest or Warsaw from the U.S. no problem, its how do we get from the border to Chernivtsi.  Just don't want to get robbed on the way. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
Re: Travel help Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 01:13:50 PM »
Fly to Chopin (Warsaw), train to the border, by bus further to destination (was Kiev.) This was Yuliya, cats and her mother. I have heard of transiting via Chop.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 01:44:09 PM »
I don't have any travel info, I just wanted to say: Good wishes in these difficult times. Hopefully all what you're aiming for in Tsern is going to be succesful

The border posts with Chelm (poland) is also operational I hear.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 02:04:33 PM »
Yes Mark is correct, Warsaw > Lublin > Chelm and you cross the frontier. Let your better half do the negotiating and Gods Speed.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 11:42:18 AM »
Any help is greatly appreciated.

You can do it via bus etc.  I use a transfer service for a few hundred bucks R/T from Warsaw to Lvov and then a buddy picks me up in Lvov and takes me wherever I want to go from there.  My driver's oldest kid aged out, though - Ukr men who have 3 children under 18 can leave the country - so haven't used him since then. Another time a buddy of mine dropped me at the border and a friend of his picked me up on the other side - you have to check which border crossing you use because not all of them allow pedestrian crossings.  Ex.  Rava-Ruska – Hrebenne does not, but Medyka - Shehyni does.

I prefer to us Chopin (WAW) because it's clean, modern (for EE) well run and there is a Renaissance literally across the street (also a Courtyard, but I have never stayed there) if you have to do a layover.  If you have status with Marriott (or if you get a room with Club access) then there will be a hot breakfast and a hot supper with 3 choices of entree.  When I travel for work we are basically required to use Marriott so I am sitting on thousands of points.  Because of the location - 5 min walk - if I have a checked bag, I go check it early, get my ticket and then come back to the hotel and relax for a couple of more hours. 

You can also fly into Košice, Slovakia (KSC), which is close to the Uzhgorod crossing and take a bus.  Košice is a nice little tourist town with a lot of parks, cafes and English spoken.  Decent Indian food also.  Ukrainians can typically easily understand Slovak and vice versa, and when I was there Google Translate worked just fine when I was on my own.

You might consider flying to Chișinău (KIV) which would be a much shorter driving distance, but I have never been there so no information I can share. 

I hope everything goes the right way for you.

B/B

Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.