The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Poll On The Effects Of Sanctions In Russia  (Read 1870 times)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Poll On The Effects Of Sanctions In Russia
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2022, 03:23:29 AM »
Anyone think Russia will decide to accept bitcoin for gas and oil payments in the near future?
They are already expressing interest in it.

If memory serves me correctly, Putin already said Ruble-only for any ru-export-payments. This will of course strengthen the Ruble.

And for all of you 'worthless rouble' enthousiasts, looks like its already recovering :

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=RUB&to=EUR&view=1M

especially when you switch to year-view things are normalizing.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Poll On The Effects Of Sanctions In Russia
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2022, 04:07:52 AM »
Cryptocurrencies are not really suitable (at this time) for large scale purchases.

There are several reasons, the first being that if one wants to skirt sanctions, the fact that all transactions are recorded on the blockchain makes them transparent to those willing to make the effort to track them.

More generally, if one is talking of millions of dollars in a single transaction, the liquidity is not there to enable easy transactions. That will almost certainly change in the future and is, of course, not an issue for most people or businesses.

Crypto is great for individuals making relatively low-value transactions in terms of security and speed and is being used in, for example, Ukraine, by both the government and individuals. If I were a refugee, for example, I would store as much of my wealth as possible with the keys stored in a form that did not even need me to carry them on my person.

[EDIT]
This story on Zerohedge carries some info about the possible use of crypto.

I had not realised that Putin himself had noted that liquidity was seen as an issue for using crypto. However, at least one spokesperson seems to suggest crypto as a possibility - among other options.

If true and it did come to pass, then the very fact of Russian acceptance of such payments would tend to increase market liquidity. Given that the spokesperson made it clear that such transactions would only be available to 'friendly' parties, the secrecy issues might not be such an issue.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/russia-open-selling-natural-gas-bitcoin-gold
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
Poll On The Effects Of Sanctions In Russia
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2022, 05:45:04 AM »
Biden admits the truth

Biden insists Russia sanctions never meant to deter Putin
from invading Ukraine despite prior messaging

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-insists-russia-sanctions-never-meant-deter-putin-ukraine-despite-white-house-messaging

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
Poll On The Effects Of Sanctions In Russia
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2022, 06:15:35 AM »
Biden Says to Expect ‘Real’ Food Shortages Due to Ukraine War
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/biden-says-expect-real-food-175308088.html
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Lon

• Trips: 20+
interesting, The Effects Of Sanctions In Russia
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2022, 09:29:17 PM »

Registration