The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Gentle Charm of Western Sanctions  (Read 29384 times)

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Gentle Charm of Western Sanctions
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2022, 01:37:34 AM »
Today at church they passed around the plate for Ukrainian aid - it brought in almost $20,000. As someone who has been involved with church finance for some time, I can tell you that this is unprecedented in our little church for foreign aid fundraising. All the old people are terrified that they're seeing the second coming of Hitler (most of them were kids during the Second World War).

Whatever you believe, it's very clear that the Kremlin's got a PR nightmare on their hands. Do you suppose Putin is surprised by this level of negative press or do you think he saw it coming anyway?
How much did they collect for Yemen?

Oh, didn't you see, read, or hear what happened yesterday? 27 sortie strikes killing many people. Wasn't it plastered all over western MSM sites?  Nothing about violating international laws and committing war crimes? Guess not.

Didn't hear about the new $650 million deal between Saudi Arabia (you know that non oppressive upstanding human rights country) and Raytheon?

Not to worry, I'm sure no innocent women or children were harmed.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2022, 01:49:10 AM »
Today at church they passed around the plate for Ukrainian aid - it brought in almost $20,000. As someone who has been involved with church finance for some time, I can tell you that this is unprecedented in our little church for foreign aid fundraising. All the old people are terrified that they're seeing the second coming of Hitler (most of them were kids during the Second World War).

Whatever you believe, it's very clear that the Kremlin's got a PR nightmare on their hands. Do you suppose Putin is surprised by this level of negative press or do you think he saw it coming anyway?
He does not care.
He had a bad reputation and was isolated from the West long time ago.

Orchid, Yes I suspect and fear you are right. But it was his choices and actions that brought this about.

Bravo Putin!

You people never look at the disease, just the symptoms.

The disease is the US military war machine.

I'm sure it's only a coincidence that a few months after the withdrawal from Afghanistan the war machine started bombing Somalia again (Feb 24 to be exact) and then turned their sites to Ukraine.

I remember talking to a girl at the gym back in December 2020 after Biden was elected president. She asked what I thought about it. I told her this which she wasn't all that surprised by, "war is coming. I don't know exactly when, but war is coming and I'm a bit worried about it".

When the US left Afghanistan, those worries increased 10 fold.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2022, 01:53:16 AM »
I read that 4,600 Russians were arrested today for protesting the war. I am sure for now Putin does not care but still, more Russian are getting the idea there is something not right about this military campaign. The oligarchs are going to find their new lifestyle much more limiting. I am sure they are not happy neither. The military prisoners in Ukraine seem to not have any interest in supporting him. Putin seems to have set himself up to where he will lose the popularity he seemed to once enjoy. We will just have to wait and see how this discontent grows over the next few years.

Nobody wants a war.
Putin sends to Ukraine only military personal on contract. They are paid for that.

Yes, tell that to all the 19/20 yr old conscripts crying for Mama now or the ones who won’t return home to the Rodina. What did they die for?

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2022, 01:55:31 AM »
8 hour ago:
Russia will not use Visa and MasterCard in the future.
All current cards will work until expired, then they will be changes to Mir.

В России истекшие карты Visa и Mastercard перевыпустят на «Мире»
Ранее выданные карты международных платежных систем Visa и Mastercard продолжат работать в России до истечения сроков действия. Об этом в воскресенье, 6 марта, «Ленте.ру» сообщили в пресс-службе Национальной системы платежных карт (НСПК).
They are going to call the new card Mir?

MIR cards are not a new thing.

Some people imagine sanctions are a surprise to Russia. They're not.

Russia will also use Chinese UnionPay. I am sure we will see more step towards China.

https://tass.ru

Российские банки (в частности, Сбер, Альфа-банк, Райффайзенбанк, "Тинькофф банк", Московский кредитный банк) сообщили о возможном выпуске кобейджинговых карт "Мир" и китайской системы UnionPay, их можно будет использовать для оплаты покупок и снятия наличных за рубежом. Некоторые российские банки уже работают с платежной системой UnionPay. В их число входят Россельхозбанк, "Почта Банк", Газпромбанк, банк "Санкт-Петербург", Промсвязьбанк, ВБРР, "Примсоцбанк", "Зенит", Промсвязьбанк и Совкомбанк.
Yes, and don't forget India and their billion plus population that's starving for energy. Well located too. And someone please remind me how great their history with Britain is.

If you dupes in Europe or the Americas think this isn't going to affect you, think again.

Like the war in Ukraine, it's only a matter of time before the shit hits the fan.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2022, 01:58:51 AM »

Like the war in Ukraine, it's only a matter of time before the shit hits the fan.

In NL shit is already hitting the fan, the soaring gasoline prices combined with soaring food prices (especially bread and bread-related products) are the cause. It won't be long before 'we' will be asking our prez to end the sanctions because they're simply too expensive for us. (or gov't is forced to prop up the Euro here).
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2022, 02:12:36 AM »
8 hour ago:

Ранее выданные карты международных платежных систем Visa и Mastercard продолжат работать в России до истечения сроков действия. Об этом в воскресенье, 6 марта, «Ленте.ру» сообщили в пресс-службе Национальной системы платежных карт (НСПК).

Russia will also use Chinese UnionPay. I am sure we will see more step towards China.

Российские банки (в частности, Сбер, Альфа-банк, Райффайзенбанк, "Тинькофф банк", Московский кредитный банк) сообщили о возможном выпуске кобейджинговых карт "Мир" и китайской системы UnionPay, их можно будет использовать для оплаты покупок и снятия наличных за рубежом. Некоторые российские банки уже работают с платежной системой UnionPay. В их число входят Россельхозбанк, "Почта Банк", Газпромбанк, банк "Санкт-Петербург", Промсвязьбанк, ВБРР, "Примсоцбанк", "Зенит", Промсвязьбанк и Совкомбанк.
Yes, and don't forget India and their billion plus population that's starving for energy. Well located too. And someone please remind me how great their history with Britain is.

If you dupes in Europe or the Americas think this isn't going to affect you, think again.

Wars of this nature affect everybody.
How’s your house of cards holding up? Won’t be long before it crashes down over you.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2022, 02:22:11 AM »
8 hour ago:

How’s your house of cards holding up? Won’t be long before it crashes down over you.
You know, you should change your name to Dogshit, because that's all that has been coming out of you lately.

Don't worry about me, I, like Putin planned for this. You think I don't know my country and its lust for war.

A ruble is a ruble in Russia and I have passive income streams in dollars not to mention selling my house for a nice sum.

How's living in a Muslim country? Knowing how much you love the religion and people. Hypocrite anyone.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2022, 02:43:40 AM »
8 hour ago:

You know, you should change your name to Dogshit, because that's all that has been coming out of you lately.

Don't worry about me, I, like Putin planned for this. A ruble is a ruble in Russia and I have passive income streams in dollars not to mention selling my house for a nice sum.

How's living in a Muslim country? Knowing how much you love the religion and people. Hypocrite anyone.
Small beer compared to the diarrhea emanating from yours and others.

You think I live where I do from choice? Best you keep your trap shut about things you nothing about.
An interesting point that comes to mind.
If hostilities break out in a wider war, where does that leave citizens living as expats in those countries or citizens of one country openly supporting the enemy?
Internment, anybody?

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2022, 03:01:43 AM »
8 hour ago:

Don't worry about me, I, like Putin planned for this. A ruble is a ruble in Russia and I have passive income streams in dollars not to mention selling my house for a nice sum.

Small beer compared to the diarrhea emanating from yours and others.

You think I live where I do from choice? Best you keep your trap shut about things you nothing about.

An interesting point that comes to mind.
If hostilities break out in a wider war, where does that leave citizens living as expats in those countries or citizens of one country openly supporting the enemy?
Internment, anybody?
Yeah, I do. You just took the easy one.

As for the rest of your dogshit, well...

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2022, 04:22:18 AM »
Not entirely sure why some have to jump through so many excuses and deflections. This is not difficult.

If Russia stops fighting there is no war.
If Ukraine stops fighting there is no Ukraine.

Simples?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2022, 09:09:24 AM »

Oh, didn't you see, read, or hear what happened yesterday? 27 sortie strikes killing many people. Wasn't it plastered all over western MSM sites?  Nothing about violating international laws and committing war crimes? Guess not.

Didn't hear about the new $650 million deal between Saudi Arabia (you know that non oppressive upstanding human rights country) and Raytheon?

I've wondered about this too... why THIS conflict? Aside from the MSM attention of course, I see two reasons. Firstly, racism. This is a white-person war affecting Europe, not just middle easterners or what have you. And secondly, Putin is a very powerful man... leader of a super power with a large military and of course nuclear capabilities. This allows the fear to spread so quickly. I don't believe Putin is becoming the next Hitler (at least not yet) but I can see how some people are fearful of that.

It's sad to see such a breakdown of cooperation, but it's been 'in the works' for some time now. Everyone will suffer because of it and that's too bad.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2022, 10:38:43 AM »

Totally agree.. makes you sick the whole hypocrisy of this..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2022, 11:09:49 AM »

Totally agree.. makes you sick the whole hypocrisy of this..

Well don't tune into CNN because they keep looping this cute little Ukrainian girl singing a song in one of the refugee camps.... that's worth millions in donations right there.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2022, 01:55:18 PM »
Are all wars equal? are all scenarios the same?

Deflection seems to be the story line last few days here.

Start a thread about any nation you want.
You can stand up and speak, carry a flag or send money
to any nation you want.

THis war, at this time caught the worlds attention more than most,
for all of the reasons previously discussed. Only ones here worried about Yemen
are folks in Russia, funny how that works.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2022, 09:50:29 PM »
8 hour ago:

Good point about India.
Yes, EU and US are delusional that they have a special immunity to any crisis.

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2022, 10:05:22 PM »
I thought about that too. Give every Russian with basic high school education under 30 years old, a green card or resettle to EU country. It will not take many.

Yep every poor bugger wants to re-settle in the EU for the wonderful life and lifestyle , huge salaries, 4 bedroom house comes as standard..lol

First of all, I meant to keep the world open for the Russian hearts and minds, not for relocation.
It’s another Western delusion that any Russian/Ukrainian woman wants to marry western men and any Russian/Ukrainian person wants to relocate to the West.

Both Russia and Ukraine are beautiful countries, with great cuisine, culture and a lot of fun.
Russian/Ukrainian are very curious and like to travel, but nothing can substitute their love to homeland.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2022, 10:13:09 PM »
I thought about that too. Give every Russian with basic high school education under 30 years old, a green card or resettle to EU country. It will not take many.

Yep every poor bugger wants to re-settle in the EU for the wonderful life and lifestyle , huge salaries, 4 bedroom house comes as standard..lol

First of all, I meant to keep the world open for the Russian hearts and minds, not for relocation.
It’s another Western delusion that any Russian/Ukrainian woman wants to marry western men and any Russian/Ukrainian person wants to relocate to the West.

Both Russia and Ukraine are beautiful countries, with great cuisine, culture and a lot of fun.
Russian/Ukrainian are very curious and like to travel, but nothing can substitute their love to homeland.

Worth noting some are confusing the Russian population (people) and the policies and ‘politicians’ in the Kremlin.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2022, 11:21:03 PM »

I like you very much Orchid, but I hope you're wrong about this. You call my desire to marry a R/U woman a delusion? I'm a fun person to be around and I know many R/U people are too!

My family owns property in Ontario, NY, PA & FL and one day I want to own some property in Russia or Ukraine as well. No need to relocate when the whole world is your oyster. But I'm so sad to see that Ukraine is being destroyed by war and I fear Russia will lock down on the west entirely, who will want to or be able to travel there? Still I do not lose hope because tomorrow will be a new day.

Offline chelseaboy

• Watched
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2022, 05:51:05 AM »
Shell has announced they are no longer buying Oil or Gas from Russia and they are closing all service stations in Russia.
"I find it hard to believe that Russia would target civilians on purpose " Manny 28/2/22

Offline chelseaboy

• Watched
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2022, 09:45:01 AM »
Oil and Gas imports from Russia now banned from the USA.
"I find it hard to believe that Russia would target civilians on purpose " Manny 28/2/22

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2022, 10:01:34 AM »
Oil and Gas imports from Russia now banned from the USA.

Let's correct that for you..
Hawaii has banned Russian oil effective immediately, although there are half a dozen tankers of already purchased oil en route to the Oahu refinery..
The US has announced the ban, but it will take a few months for the ban to be fully implemented..
The EU are reportedly trying to ban all oil imports from Russia by the end of 2022..
Let's wait and see how this all turns out shall we...
It will mean that countries have to turn to Iran and Venezuela to make up the shortfall..
 :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2022, 10:02:50 AM »
Shell has announced they are no longer buying Oil or Gas from Russia and they are closing all service stations in Russia.

No loss there then, they were always the most expensive fuel stations, and had little market share..
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2022, 10:45:57 AM »
Do you suppose Putin is surprised by this level of negative press or do you think he saw it coming anyway?

I don't think he is bothered. His personal ratings haven't been hammered at home. Russia has had a lot of practice dealing with sanctions the last few years. Kicking the west out of his backyard has also been coming for many years as diplomacy failed, and Russia's interests were being continually ignored.

A decoupling with the west was going to happen sooner or later. It's been coming down the tracks gradually anyway. It might have gone a bit faster than anticipated the last few weeks, but the west has played most of its cards in a week. There isn't much more they can throw at Russia now. He may take the view now, "in for a penny, in for a pound" as we say.

Russia has hardly played any countersanction cards yet. The gas supply to Germany is the "get-out-of-jail-free card". Turn off Noord Stream One and the German economy grinds to a halt. Or leave it on and watch the $600m a day roll in. By Swift.

What might have been just Donbass might grow to include more land as a third state including Odessa and the southern coast to Moldova may be added. Or just tagging the Novorossiya/Stepovyna area onto Donestsk and Lugansk. He's in it now and the west has thrown the kitchen sink at him. He may just as well finish what was never finished in 2014 and redraw the map.

And this is where knee-jerk western politicians (and virtue signalling companies) bleating with the herd get some of it shoved back up them. The world is too interconnected for countersanctions to have no impact. Not just gas and oil, corn, wheat, sunflower oil and seeds, minerals, aluminum, and more. LOTS of stuff comes from Russia. They'll happily sell it to India instead. Or China, or south America, or North Korea. Counter sanctions, applied like a slow screw - not in a week, are going to come back and bite the rest of Europe on the arse big time. It will create huge inflation, and before long many will start to get quietly dropped or negotiated away. The dollar will be dumped (which has been slowly happening anyway), this will export inflation to the US when China joins in.

Look at flights, Russian airspace being closed is adding over 3 hours on a flight to Tokyo. Soon the airlines will be screaming at their governments to fix that.

This decoupling will create the multipolar world Russia and China want. US hegemony will be reduced even more. Russia will mostly turn its back on the west. Visa will be replaced, SWIFT will be replaced, all the things the west thinks it is beating Russia with a stick will be replaced. And once you have replaced something, you don't go back do you? Mcdonald's and some larger companies know this and wont join the bleating. Those that are virtue signalling now will be frozen out of a 140m person market forever. The politicians grandstanding now will be voted out when inflation bites.

As with Newton's third law of motion: 'every action has an equal and opposite reaction'.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2022, 10:58:33 AM »
Do you suppose Putin is surprised by this level of negative press or do you think he saw it coming anyway?

I don't think he is bothered. His personal ratings haven't been hammered at home. Russia has had a lot of practice dealing with sanctions the last few years. Kicking the west out of his backyard has also been coming for many years as diplomacy failed, and Russia's interests were being continually ignored.

A decoupling with the west was going to happen sooner or later. It's been coming down the tracks gradually anyway. It might have gone a bit faster than anticipated the last few weeks, but the west has played most of its cards in a week. There isn't much more they can throw at Russia now. He may take the view now, "in for a penny, in for a pound" as we say.

Russia has hardly played any countersanction cards yet. The gas supply to Germany is the "get-out-of-jail-free card". Turn off Noord Stream One and the German economy grinds to a halt. Or leave it on and watch the $600m a day roll in. By Swift.

What might have been just Donbass might grow to include more land as a third state including Odessa and the southern coast to Moldova may be added. Or just tagging the Novorossiya/Stepovyna area onto Donestsk and Lugansk. He's in it now and the west has thrown the kitchen sink at him. He may just as well finish what was never finished in 2014 and redraw the map.

And this is where knee-jerk western politicians (and virtue signalling companies) bleating with the herd get some of it shoved back up them. The world is too interconnected for countersanctions to have no impact. Not just gas and oil, corn, wheat, sunflower oil and seeds, minerals, aluminum, and more. LOTS of stuff comes from Russia. They'll happily sell it to India instead. Or China, or south America, or North Korea. Counter sanctions, applied like a slow screw - not in a week, are going to come back and bite the rest of Europe on the arse big time. It will create huge inflation, and before long many will start to get quietly dropped or negotiated away. The dollar will be dumped (which has been slowly happening anyway), this will export inflation to the US when China joins in.

Look at flights, Russian airspace being closed is adding over 3 hours on a flight to Tokyo. Soon the airlines will be screaming at their governments to fix that.

This decoupling will create the multipolar world Russia and China want. US hegemony will be reduced even more. Russia will mostly turn its back on the west. Visa will be replaced, SWIFT will be replaced, all the things the west thinks it is beating Russia with a stick will be replaced. And once you have replaced something, you don't go back do you? Mcdonald's and some larger companies know this and wont join the bleating. Those that are virtue signalling now will be frozen out of a 140m person market forever. The politicians grandstanding now will be voted out when inflation bites.

As with Newton's third law of motion: 'every action has an equal and opposite reaction'.

Putin is a tough guy. After all his new law against protesting just resulted in an 80 year old grandma carrying a sign saying "no to war" getting arrested. Got to keep after those Babushka's!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/anderson-cooper-highlights-incredible-image-111717133.html

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2022, 11:08:12 AM »
Just more nonsensical western "news". Are they beating her up like many western police did because people wouldn't wear a mask? Perspective, man.

Do you think Putin is worried about what Yahoo, MSN, CNN, etc write? I don't.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.