The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: I left Odessa on 24 February  (Read 2008 times)

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
I left Odessa on 24 February
« on: February 26, 2022, 11:21:05 PM »
I have lived in Odessa for one year but I got out 3 days ago. I left a few hours after the first explosions in Odessa. While walking out of my building I met a young woman who was also fleeing. We drove my car with my dog across the Palanca Moldova border.  It took 5 hours to cross. Finding Lodging in Chisinau is very difficult at this time. She stayed with me for one night then got on the bus to Paris.

The next day I started working on helping 3 girls get to Moldova, one of whom has a car. They took 19 hours to cross the border. One of them is with me, one went to Poland to be with her fiancé and the third is staying alone.

I told the one with me that it took a war for her to go on a date with me.
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline Gipsy

Re: I left Odessa on 24 February
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 11:53:08 PM »
It's good to hear from you, and that you are out of any danger...
Stay safe...
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 12:00:01 AM »

I told the one with me that it took a war for her to go on a date with me.

Ещё война как мать родна.  :ROFL:  :ROFL:  :ROFL:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 01:27:40 AM »
I truly hope that you have not and will not be tasking advantage of any young women.

Remember, you have a track record. Words spoken in jest can often reveal deeper truths.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 03:55:36 AM »
Glad you got out and happy you helped some folks where you could :thumbsup:
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline justadude

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 09:31:46 AM »
One girl stayed with me for a couple days then she found a Moldovan family that took her in. Meanwhile I'm in Tiraspol for a couple days. Crossing the Transnistria border was easy and uneventful. I find it hard to believe but I can't pay for anything with a visa or MasterCard nor can I get money from an ATM. Transnistria might seem like an ironic choice, given that Ukraine is under attack from Transnistria's mother country. On the other hand, it might be a safe place because Russia would have no reason to attack here. Nevertheless I think I'll be moving on in a day or 2. Maybe Romania or Poland.
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 01:08:22 PM »
At least you kept the dog this time.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2022, 01:29:18 PM »
At least you kept the dog this time.

He gave one of them away.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2022, 01:29:41 PM »
One girl stayed with me for a couple days then she found a Moldovan family that took her in. Meanwhile I'm in Tiraspol for a couple days. Crossing the Transnistria border was easy and uneventful. I find it hard to believe but I can't pay for anything with a visa or MasterCard nor can I get money from an ATM. Transnistria might seem like an ironic choice, given that Ukraine is under attack from Transnistria's mother country. On the other hand, it might be a safe place because Russia would have no reason to attack here. Nevertheless I think I'll be moving on in a day or 2. Maybe Romania or Poland.

Stay safe.

Offline justadude

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 01:09:56 PM »
I stayed in Moldova for about a week. I've been in Romania for about a week. I am amazed at how nice the roads are here. Night and day with the roads of Odessa. The roads I've seen here are almost as good as the roads in California.

While driving to Sibiu, I went through a 1800m mountain pass in a snow storm, dodging jacknifed bigrigs. It was a bit dicey in a 2wd Fiat 500 and no chains, but not as bad as some of my experiences in the Sierra Nevadas in a Mini Cooper.

I have an apartment booked for the next week here in Bucharest. I volunteered at the refugee center at the train station for a couple shifts. I even  got a hug from a babushka.

That's about all for now.

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 01:58:08 PM »
I stayed in Moldova for about a week. I've been in Romania for about a week. I am amazed at how nice the roads are here. Night and day with the roads of Odessa. The roads I've seen here are almost as good as the roads in California.

While driving to Sibiu, I went through a 1800m mountain pass in a snow storm, dodging jacknifed bigrigs. It was a bit dicey in a 2wd Fiat 500 and no chains, but not as bad as some of my experiences in the Sierra Nevadas in a Mini Cooper.

I have an apartment booked for the next week here in Bucharest. I volunteered at the refugee center at the train station for a couple shifts. I even  got a hug from a babushka.

Kind of you to volunteer at the refugee center JAD. Glad that you are safe and sound. Dare I ask about the motorbike project? Guessing it got left behind... would've been epic if you rode 'er out of there!  ;D
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2022, 03:02:18 PM »
Glad you're OK.
Better out than in,
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline justadude

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2022, 11:37:21 PM »

Kind of you to volunteer at the refugee center JAD. Glad that you are safe and sound. Dare I ask about the motorbike project? Guessing it got left behind... would've been epic if you rode 'er out of there!  ;D

No, unfortunately the scooter and all my tools are still in my garage in Odessa. I paid rent on that and my apartment for March. I probably won't pay for April. My losses, maybe around $2k, are pretty small compared to that of others. In March 2021 I decided not to buy real estate in Odessa, because of the Russian threat at that time. I have my bicycle on the back of the car. If I wasn't able to reach the border due to traffic, the bicycle was the backup plan.

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2022, 08:44:06 AM »
No, unfortunately the scooter and all my tools are still in my garage in Odessa. I paid rent on that and my apartment for March. I probably won't pay for April. My losses, maybe around $2k, are pretty small compared to that of others. In March 2021 I decided not to buy real estate in Odessa, because of the Russian threat at that time. I have my bicycle on the back of the car. If I wasn't able to reach the border due to traffic, the bicycle was the backup plan.

A man with a plan - I like that.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline justadude

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2022, 08:10:06 AM »
This scene took place a couple weeks ago in Moldova. I thought airing up the tire on a Lada with a bike tire pump was very Eastern Europe

Offline justadude

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2022, 08:16:27 AM »
I got in a fender bender two nights ago, followed by a guided tour of two Bucharest police stations. It turns out that driving without an international drivers license in Romania is a felony. One officer had enough compassion to allow me to order one online, after which that line of inquiry was abandoned. Now we're down to determining whose at fault, a topic on which the other driver and I do not agree.

Offline justadude

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2022, 08:20:39 AM »
I met a couple of 19yo Romanian sugar babies, both of whom are super cool. I'm planning to hang around Bucharest for another month or so, maybe longer.

I conducted my first free English lesson for refugees yesterday. I'm trying to find office space and organize more for next week. Some Ukrainians are interested in this to help them become more employable

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2022, 09:30:32 AM »
You're certainly very adaptable.  :nod:

Where are you staying there? A hotel or an apartment?
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2022, 10:18:12 AM »
I met a couple of 19yo Romanian sugar babies, both of whom are super cool.

War has brought you new opportunities. When life serves you lemons, make lemonade.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2022, 10:48:43 AM »
I met a couple of 19yo Romanian sugar babies, both of whom are super cool.

War has brought you new opportunities. When life serves you lemons, make lemonade.

I suspect JAD won’t be serving or making lemonade.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline justadude

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2022, 12:40:45 PM »
You're certainly very adaptable.  :nod:

Where are you staying there? A hotel or an apartment?
An ABnB apartment. I'm looking at some more permanent options.

Offline patagonie

• Real life is meeting and kissing
  • Spouses Country: ukraine
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2022, 05:32:27 PM »
This scene took place a couple weeks ago in Moldova. I thought airing up the tire on a Lada with a bike tire pump was very Eastern Europe

No guy! I do it myself sometimes, so Frenchies do it also!  :knit:

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2022, 10:28:19 AM »
I got in a fender bender two nights ago, followed by a guided tour of two Bucharest police stations. It turns out that driving without an international drivers license in Romania is a felony. One officer had enough compassion to allow me to order one online, after which that line of inquiry was abandoned. Now we're down to determining whose at fault, a topic on which the other driver and I do not agree.

I commandeered a taxi in Bucharest one Saturday night many moons ago. A great laugh until I drove back to where I collected it, where the irate taxi driver was standing with 2 of Romania's finest.

100 euro gets you a long way Lol

Registration