The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian Losses  (Read 87944 times)

Offline dorbradavid

• Professor and Sailor
  • Spouses Country: United States
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Russian Losses
« Reply #950 on: May 19, 2022, 01:09:27 PM »

What I don't understand about this war is how the Russian military is so ill equipped to fight the war? Surely Putin would have made sure all his troops had up to date weapons and knew how to use his weapons? The latest rifles with plenty of ammo for everyone? Every soldier had the latest body armour. Had plenty of food? All the tanks and artillery were in working order and there were plenty of parts to repair them, etc.

Putin's been playing this game with Ukraine since before 2014 so there's been plenty of time to make sure everything was in working order. In all this time Putin could have personally checked most of these things himself instead he relied on his generals, the majority of whom lied to him.

Have you ever watched/listened to someone who obviously had no clue about what they were talking about?  :8)
Dobra David

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #951 on: May 19, 2022, 01:23:24 PM »
This has got MI6 Fingerprints with CIA Satellites Intel all over it - Russian Armored Train and ""High Ranking"" Russian officers HIT and reports RazzPutin cans two more Generalissimos - only Stalin was tougher on his Generals...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukrainians-kill-high-ranking-soldiers-blow-up-russian-train-reports/ar-AAXroUE?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ea4da77a051a44519c2c7d58d8400e84

Ta Ta relief - https://www.loveme.com/mp/info22.htm

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #952 on: May 19, 2022, 01:29:22 PM »

What I don't understand about this war is how the Russian military is so ill equipped to fight the war? Surely Putin would have made sure all his troops had up to date weapons and knew how to use his weapons? The latest rifles with plenty of ammo for everyone? Every soldier had the latest body armour. Had plenty of food? All the tanks and artillery were in working order and there were plenty of parts to repair them, etc.

Putin's been playing this game with Ukraine since before 2014 so there's been plenty of time to make sure everything was in working order. In all this time Putin could have personally checked most of these things himself instead he relied on his generals, the majority of whom lied to him.

Have you ever watched/listened to someone who obviously had no clue about what they were talking about?  :8)

Where I'm getting my information from is usually videos and articles by experts in their field. For instance there's a theory that one of the reasons why Russian trucks are doing so poorly in handling the Ukrainian mud and terrain is because the Russians are using cheap Chinese tires instead of the Michelin XZL tires NATO forces use.

Of course I have no way to vet the expertise of the sources from these articles and videos. Maybe the experts on RUA are every bit as good as the military analysts in the articles and videos. I doubt it but who knows?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10772127/Cheap-Chinese-tyres-bought-corrupt-officials-blame-Russias-stalled-advance.html

https://theweek.com/russo-ukrainian-war/1010857/how-cheap-chinese-tires-might-explain-russias-stalled-40-mile-long
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #953 on: May 19, 2022, 01:49:33 PM »
Conscripts from Donbas forced into combat operations with little equipment and very old rifles plotting to desert. Phone calls were intercepted by Ukrainian intelligence.

“It’s not desertion, because we shouldn’t be on this territory. … We crossed the border as 200s,” he says, using a Russian military term for those killed in battle. “We’re not actually here. So if they say I’m a deserter,  :censored:  off, I’m not here. Prove otherwise.”

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/commander-leaving-us-putin-troops-142125501.html

What I don't understand about this war is how the Russian military is so ill equipped to fight the war? . What I do not understand is reading all these stories about how ill equipped the Russian army is and how bad they are doing the BIG question is  WHY ARE THEY STILL IN UKRAINE???  Why were they not kicked out weeks ago by the far more superior Ukrainian army with more funding than the total Russian expenditure on arms per year.. they are getting absolutely billions in funding the latest tech weapons .. weapons are coming in daily from all over the European Union .. what is actually happening ?? Why is such an ill equipped shoddy army run by schools kids still in Ukraine?

Steveboy it's not that hard to understand. Putin is willing to sacrifice thousands, perhaps tens of thousands or more Russian lives to take Ukraine or at least to take the parts of Ukraine he wants most. Of those Russian soldiers there are likely many who believe they are fighting Nazis to free Ukraine from the forces of Nazi occupation. Other Russian soldiers will be those who are doing what they've been ordered to do. There's also the mercenaries like those of the Wagner Group and the thousands of Syrians who've been added to the Russian military's roster. See YT link.

Another reason Russian soldiers are still in Ukraine is that they've had years (since at least 2014) to dig into their positions, to gather supplies, to make sure the overwhelming majority of the civilians in their occupied area are loyal Russians. This would be the Donbas areas of the Donetsk People's Republic and the Lugansk People's Republic. These areas border Russia so the Russian military in these areas can be easily supplied from Russia.

Then of course there's Crimea. With a bridge linking it to Russia and the Russian Navy ports Crimea is in the grip of Russian occupation. It will be difficult if not impossible to retake Crimea from Russia because having warm water ports for the Russian Navy's Black Sea Fleet is so important for Russia.

andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #954 on: May 19, 2022, 02:18:00 PM »
Conscripts from Donbas forced into combat operations with little equipment and very old rifles plotting to desert. Phone calls were intercepted by Ukrainian intelligence.

“It’s not desertion, because we shouldn’t be on this territory. … We crossed the border as 200s,” he says, using a Russian military term for those killed in battle. “We’re not actually here. So if they say I’m a deserter,  :censored:  off, I’m not here. Prove otherwise.”

What I don't understand about this war is how the Russian military is so ill equipped to fight the war? . What I do not understand is reading all these stories about how ill equipped the Russian army is and how bad they are doing the BIG question is  WHY ARE THEY STILL IN UKRAINE???  Why were they not kicked out weeks ago by the far more superior Ukrainian army with more funding than the total Russian expenditure on arms per year.. they are getting absolutely billions in funding the latest tech weapons .. weapons are coming in daily from all over the European Union .. what is actually happening ?? Why is such an ill equipped shoddy army run by schools kids still in Ukraine?

Steveboy it's not that hard to understand. Putin is willing to sacrifice thousands, perhaps tens of thousands or more Russian lives to take Ukraine or at least to take the parts of Ukraine he wants most. Of those Russian soldiers there are likely many who believe they are fighting Nazis to free Ukraine from the forces of Nazi occupation. Other Russian soldiers will be those who are doing what they've been ordered to do. There's also the mercenaries like those of the Wagner Group and the thousands of Syrians who've been added to the Russian military's roster. See YT link.

Another reason Russian soldiers are still in Ukraine is that they've had years (since at least 2014) to dig into their positions, to gather supplies, to make sure the overwhelming majority of the civilians in their occupied area are loyal Russians. This would be the Donbas areas of the Donetsk People's Republic and the Lugansk People's Republic. These areas border Russia so the Russian military in these areas can be easily supplied from Russia.

Then of course there's Crimea. With a bridge linking it to Russia and the Russian Navy ports Crimea is in the grip of Russian occupation. It will be difficult if not impossible to retake Crimea from Russia because having warm water ports for the Russian Navy's Black Sea Fleet is so important for Russia.

That cant be right!! Ukraine has billions in funding millions and millions already more than the total Russian expenditure on arms per year .. they are showing non stop n the news day after day after day the Russian losses.. tank after tank .. battalion after battalion lost.. non stop all day after day.. complete Russian conveys wiped out ..all day every day ..

All you see in the news Is "Ukraine can win this" If you take every thing in the news seriously you would actually have to laugh at the Russian army.. in the UK most are actually laughing at the Russian army and what abode it has been.. I think most of the general public in the US also are just laughing at all the stories about the Russian army how useless they are ..

But as I said they are still there.. in fact in some parts they are already handing passports, pensions, changed the phone prefix to Russian and so on.. how can all this be possibly be happening when you have the whole of the US .. the Eu against them? They are supplying so much weaponry and your telling me the US.. the Eu and the highly trained and armed Ukrainian army cannot kick out a load of undertrained teenage soldiers with outdated guns.. ??

Apparently the country with the biggest and best army in the world the US .. Nato.. the EU cannot kick a load of Russian dim whits out of Ukraine? I mean basically.. right now in Ukraine Russia if fighting Nato/US/EU/UK   ...

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #955 on: May 22, 2022, 01:22:10 PM »
I'm not sure if the Russian media, or Russian soldiers on social media are helping Ukraine most?
Seems like every few days there's another hit on the Russian military because Ukraine is able to locate and  destroy  equipment and personnel because Russia continues to show videos from the field.

One would think by now they would have taken notice and tried to be a bit more discretion.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZTdtwMNQM/
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #956 on: May 22, 2022, 04:53:30 PM »
I'm not sure if the Russian media, or Russian soldiers on social media are helping Ukraine most?
Seems like every few days there's another hit on the Russian military because Ukraine is able to locate and  destroy  equipment and personnel because Russia continues to show videos from the field.

One would think by now they would have taken notice and tried to be a bit more discretion.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZTdtwMNQM/

Don't know about on TikTok but photos and video contain metadata that allows people to pinpoint where the photo and video was taken. It's also relatively easy to erase or change the metadata to disguise your location. Someone should tell the Russian soldiers this.

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #957 on: May 22, 2022, 05:10:17 PM »

Here's how Western propaganda media works. Watch the video in the link below. The article provides a video saying Ukraine is blowing up Russian assets. Blow it up full monitor size. Notice the 'Russian' people on the boat. They are tiny. An explosion happens but notice those people walking around normal on the boat as if nothing happened.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraine-situation-report-tb2s-strike-russian-sam-carrying-landing-craft-at-snake-island/ar-AAX1KO8?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=976583b1b02044bb9996a11e39dfd5df

Western media has tried hard to make it look like Ukraine is dominating in the war but truth is they don't have enough 'real' video evidence to show that so they make things up. The Ghost of Kiev wasn't real either.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline Texan77

« Reply #958 on: May 23, 2022, 05:08:08 AM »

Here's how Western propaganda media works. Watch the video in the link below. The article provides a video saying Ukraine is blowing up Russian assets. Blow it up full monitor size. Notice the 'Russian' people on the boat. They are tiny. An explosion happens but notice those people walking around normal on the boat as if nothing happened.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraine-situation-report-tb2s-strike-russian-sam-carrying-landing-craft-at-snake-island/ar-AAX1KO8?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=976583b1b02044bb9996a11e39dfd5df

Western media has tried hard to make it look like Ukraine is dominating in the war but truth is they don't have enough 'real' video evidence to show that so they make things up. The Ghost of Kiev wasn't real either.

The there is a media war. It is Ukraine media that is working hard. Ukraine president owned a medial company and is beating Russia in the medial game many times to one. Every thing in western media I am reading is saying Ukraine is at a process where Russia is finding it difficult to advance. War balance is close to being achieved. Yes there is more stuff of Russia tanks being blown up than Ukraine tanks because of Ukraine ability to get the video footage out there and Ukraine uses more drones than Russia and takes more footage for the media. You just want to bring a Nazi type government to the USA and keep reading your extreme right wing pro Nazi propaganda and posting it on this site.

Have you noticed TRUMP IS STILL NOT PRESIDENT! USA Pro Nazis Trump supporters claiming they won is in reality going no where.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #959 on: May 23, 2022, 07:30:08 AM »

Have you noticed TRUMP IS STILL NOT PRESIDENT! USA Pro Nazis Trump supporters claiming they won is in reality going no where.

Purely the fact that this has not been put to bed within 1 week after the elections, speaks very badly of america's democratic process.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline AJ

« Reply #960 on: May 23, 2022, 12:02:05 PM »
Sure billy,
Just like the russian video of the m777s being hit and destroyed.yet it was ind grenade,then thevfilm edited to show artillery strikes from.a month ago in chernihiv on a  different forest.

Is it surprising both sides are playing a media war?

Russia will likely take donbas,a shame as most there in regions not already held  are not pro russian.
Keep telling yourself that thats ok.

While they will gladly sacrifice thousands to take 2 olblast borderlines and claim victory for an old kleptocrats ego
I doubt they hold it.

Offline AJ

« Reply #961 on: May 23, 2022, 12:06:54 PM »

Purely the fact that this has not been put to bed within 1 week after the elections, speaks very badly of america's democratic process.

Its a disaster .
The gerrymandering of both sides,the corruption of busing in voters , its ridiculous.

The lenghts both parties resort  to,simply to stay in power is criminal on many fronts.

Offline yankee

« Reply #962 on: May 23, 2022, 12:16:00 PM »

I would suggest that most on this forum have no clue about what they are talking about :)
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline AJ

« Reply #963 on: May 23, 2022, 12:33:54 PM »
Loss of a russian diplomat.
Boris Bordarrv resigns.

Those who conceived this war want only one thing — to remain in power forever, live in pompous tasteless palaces, sail on yachts comparable in tonnage and cost to the entire Russian Navy, enjoying unlimited power and complete impunity,”

“To achieve that ,they are willing to sacrifice as many lives as it takes,” . “Thousands of Russians and Ukrainians have already died just for this.”

He also had some particularly damning words for Lavrov.

Hopefully he doesn't get poisoned

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #964 on: May 23, 2022, 12:44:37 PM »

I would suggest that most on this forum have no clue about what they are talking about :)

I'd agree.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #965 on: May 23, 2022, 12:53:27 PM »

I was having a Zoom chat with a friend in LA just before Christmas 2020. He's a California GOP and part of the GOP machine in LA and has attended several GOP party conferences during the 2020 campaign. He votes Republican but as he says his vote's wasted since his district will never go red.

According to him Trump is a moron. Trump could have easily defeated Biden. However everything in Trump's campaign had to be done Trump's way and Trump wouldn't listen to his advisors. That's what cost Trump a 2020 election win.

Offline yankee

« Reply #966 on: May 23, 2022, 01:08:51 PM »

I was having a Zoom chat with a friend in LA just before Christmas 2020. He's a California GOP and part of the GOP machine in LA and has attended several GOP party conferences during the 2020 campaign. He votes Republican but as he says his vote's wasted since his district will never go red.

According to him Trump is a moron. Trump could have easily defeated Biden. However everything in Trump's campaign had to be done Trump's way and Trump wouldn't listen to his advisors. That's what cost Trump a 2020 election win.

Trump is many things but being a moron is not one of them. Now, the person stating that Trump supporters are pro nazi is a moron. 
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #967 on: May 23, 2022, 01:25:20 PM »

Trump is many things but being a moron is not one of them. Now, the person stating that Trump supporters are pro nazi is a moron.

Again something I'd agree with. Tell people who support BLM that they're pro Marxists because the founders of BLM were trained Marxists and they'll deny they're pro Marxists. However the same people will call Trump a Nazi and all his supporters Nazis without a second thought.

Offline Lon

Russian Losses not the whole of NATO
« Reply #968 on: May 23, 2022, 02:27:54 PM »

how can all this be possibly be happening when you have the whole of the US .. the Eu against them? They are supplying so much weaponry and your telling me the US.. the Eu and the highly trained and armed Ukrainian army cannot kick out a load of undertrained teenage soldiers with outdated guns.. ??

Apparently the country with the biggest and best army in the world the US .. Nato.. the EU cannot kick a load of Russian dim whits out of Ukraine? I mean basically.. right now in Ukraine Russia if fighting Nato/US/EU/UK   ...

I do not know where you are getting your news from, but the whole of NATO (or US) military is not there.  just a small number of their weapons.
and luckily for all of us (you included) they are not.  we would be finding out in a quick hurry how Russia and Putin would be reacting to being forced out of Ukraine completely (including Crimea).  this is not just my opinion, but of experts that I trust.  and a few that you might also, considering they are Russian.  you might check your experts rather than your propaganda news agencies, find the ones that are not blowing smoke up your donkey

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #969 on: May 23, 2022, 02:32:10 PM »

I'd agree.

My opinion as well.

What is distressing is many approach the forum with a preconceived point of view and than attempt to justify it.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Lon

Russian Losses way around Bosporus
« Reply #970 on: May 23, 2022, 06:45:22 PM »

Offline AJ

« Reply #971 on: May 23, 2022, 06:56:03 PM »
Quote from: Av
What is distressing is many approach the forum with a preconceived point of view and than attempt to justify it.

That describes the internet 🤣 in general, and the guys looking for further info on the mob aspect in particular?  :)

Those traditional value women that make cozy homes and only have alcoholic men to choose from.

Offline WestCoast

Re: Russian Losses way around Bosporus
« Reply #972 on: May 23, 2022, 08:09:43 PM »
Russian navy around the Bosporus

http://www.hisutton.com/Russian-Navys-Secret-Internal-Waterways.html

If you look on https://www.marinetraffic.com you'll see there are some fairly large commercial vessels using Russia's internal waterways.

How fast and how convenient it is to use Russia's internal waterways to travel from the Caspian Sea to St. Petersburg for military vessels such as the Buyan-M Uglich and the Grachonok-class Yunarmeets Tatarstana is another question?

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
Re: Russian Losses way around Bosporus
« Reply #973 on: May 23, 2022, 08:26:05 PM »
Russian navy around the Bosporus

http://www.hisutton.com/Russian-Navys-Secret-Internal-Waterways.html

If you look on https://www.marinetraffic.com you'll see there are some fairly large commercial vessels using Russia's internal waterways.

How fast and how convenient it is to use Russia's internal waterways to travel from the Caspian Sea to St. Petersburg for military vessels such as the Buyan-M Uglich and the Grachonok-class Yunarmeets Tatarstana is another question?

From memory the distance is +/- 400 kilometers or approximately 5 days as a guess. Draft, beam and overall length are an issue. A guess 100 meters length and 7 meters of draft, beam 15 meters.

AIS is not recquired on inland waterways as far as I know in European waters.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Wiz

« Reply #974 on: May 24, 2022, 06:10:15 AM »

That cant be right!! Ukraine has billions in funding millions and millions already more than the total Russian expenditure on arms per year .. they are showing non stop n the news day after day after day the Russian losses.. tank after tank .. battalion after battalion lost.. non stop all day after day.. complete Russian conveys wiped out ..all day every day ..

All you see in the news Is "Ukraine can win this" If you take every thing in the news seriously you would actually have to laugh at the Russian army.. in the UK most are actually laughing at the Russian army and what abode it has been.. I think most of the general public in the US also are just laughing at all the stories about the Russian army how useless they are ..

But as I said they are still there.. in fact in some parts they are already handing passports, pensions, changed the phone prefix to Russian and so on.. how can all this be possibly be happening when you have the whole of the US .. the Eu against them? They are supplying so much weaponry and your telling me the US.. the Eu and the highly trained and armed Ukrainian army cannot kick out a load of undertrained teenage soldiers with outdated guns.. ??

Steve, I simply wonder why you bother talking to brainless lot who have not a clu about the Slavs, Russia and the Border lands (Ukraine)  ?

I expect he never been to the army so he only know the colours of the soldiers clothes! (if he does!)

The Russians attacked cleverly those Nazi in Azovstall (No food), who at the end Asked for Mercy.

Putin and his generals were aware what they have to do and I can only guess that the remaining free parts  of the “Border lands” (Ukraine) will be joining  the Russian federation, like the people of Crimea did , especially when they will discover the salaries and pensions paid in Russia. Wait for the referendum to come soon soon.

Russia at the moment is flooded with foreign money from oil and gas and Ukraine will be united soon with RF and the two countries will have control of their biggest wheat crop between them in the whole world!.

So it is obvious that the Putin plan is slowly taking place and soon the whole country and will have no big expenses to pay for repairs of housing etc.

I hope that the Russians will destroy all the Biolabs….. in Ukraine and pay not a dime for the arms, which th crooks, Biden and co...... arranged for their scam.

:evilgrin0002:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Registration